[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well then, how bad could this game be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 9
Well then, how bad could this game be?
>>
You'll find out in 20 hours.
>>
We want the Skyrim audience
>>
>>343510673

Well 20 minutes in I can walk/clip into NPC models and the camera's janky.

On the other hand, no-transition battles are pretty cool
>>
>>343510539
>how bad could this game be?

it looks good really. will def buy at some point.
>>
>>343510539
no cutscenes
instead you get tons of character talks while you slowly walk forward scenes
>>
>>343510539
I will buy it regardless soon.
>>
>>343511091
That's been alright so far.

The talking-to-NPC mechanic is balls though.
>>
>>343510539
Starts off fun and great, then turns into a generic, grimdark, frustrating game towards the end.

Any time you hear people complain about being the appropriate level, with updated weapons and they still get their ass kicked, it's because fight mechanics greatly change.
>>
>>343511198
To be fair, SO2 also starts off great and the plot falls off a cliff in disc 2.

SO3 is great for a longer period because they trap you on the planet for so long and Nel is love. Also modern parts of SO3 are fun. Of course, the plots still eventually falls off a cliff.

SO1 has weird pacing especially toward the end. I don't even remember what happens in SO4.

So basically, SO always drops the plot ball.

Gameplay wise I just want SO3/SO4 again.
>>
*teleports behind you*
*steals Relia for the 7th time in a cutscene*

Pssh...nothin personnel, kid
>>
>>343511374
Even SO1 drops the ball too. Where you start on a fairly primitive planet then abducted to Star Trek level of tech. Then suddenly go back even farther back in time so the advance part is just meaningless.

It's like they want to do a advance tech JRPG but for some reason keep falling back to medieval JRPG.
>>
File: 1466912846265.gif (1 MB, 563x317) Image search: [Google]
1466912846265.gif
1 MB, 563x317
>tfw your favorite aspect about the series was picking which characters you recruited
>do a full harem run of 2 with Rena, Celine, Precis, Welch, Opera, Chisato, and Leon
>last 2 SO games havent had recruitable characters
>>
>>343511670

I thought the end of SO1 where they send you back, then abruptly send you to the final dungeon was weird.

Also they vaguely tried to escape SO-syndrome in SO4 by having more planets but too bad the story is still ass.

Guys why can't we just have more Rogue Galaxy

>>343511731
I wish SO2 didn't have recruitable characters.
Also what kind of gay faggot doesn't pick Precis and Ashton in the same playthrough
>>
>>343511601
We have her back! Let's rest at an inn
>Wake up in the middle of the night
Son of a...
>>
>>343511816
>Guys why can't we just have more Rogue Galaxy
Because Level 5 is diving head first in shota love.
>>
>>343511731
That's good! I don't want to choose between a cute girl and a grizzled war vet. I'd end up with a full party of healers.
>>
>>343510539
It aint as bad as everyone is saying, battles are fun, roles are fun, plot is hit and miss but if you come in to a jrpg wanting book of the year writing you need to fuck off.

Also trying to figure out how to break the game with the role system and upgrades.
>>
>>343511938
I wouldn't mind a shota Dark Cloud 3
>>
File: Delayed, delayed, delayed.jpg (43 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
Delayed, delayed, delayed.jpg
43 KB, 550x366
>>343511938
Yeah, that's why I'm skeptical about Ni No Kuni 2.
>>
>>343512046
>if you come in to a jrpg wanting book of the year writing you need to fuck off.

People have some serious nostalgia glasses with regards to JRPG stories.

Tropeyness is a legitimate complaint though, but that's a bigger problem with the whole entertainment industry preferring to play safe.
>>
>>343512159
I honestly hated Ni No Kuni. The weird blend of ATB and full control really didn't work for me. After about 3 hours I quit and never touched it again. If they somehow made that work I might try it out but if it's the same mechanic I'm just going to give it a pass.
>>
>Protect Anna

oh fuck me how do I switch enemy target, no not that one, no fuck the one running right at her, fuck
>>
>>343512172
That is also a big problem everyone expects every damn game to re invent the wheel, sure tropes are repeated but tell me if you can find an "orginal" MC in an "orginal" world now a days.

I never see this complaint levied at most WRPGs who are basicly ripping off Tolkien or in the case of Si FI star trek.
>>
>>343510791
>walk/clip into NPC models
Isn't that a feature to keep you from getting stuck behind NPCs? Lots of games let you do that.
>>
>>343512614

I haven't seen it in 3D RPGs in a while.

It's annoying when you're trying to talk to a walking NPC.

There's also this weird thing where NPC stumble when you walk through them.
>>
>>343512309
Literally the only reason anybody gave a shit was because Studio Ghibli doing the designs.
>>
I want a Tales of Star Ocean crossover
>>
>>343512837
A lot of Tales games already involve space travel and alien races, even.
>>
Not bad at all, most reviewers are fagots that hate Japanese games.
>>
>>343510539
My friend told me that it is a decent budget title masquerade as an AAA game.
>>
>>343515392

I buy that description. There're corners where it's missing polish, but so far it's been very decent.
>>
>>343511198
Seems like it remains true to the series then.
>>
Star Ocean has always fallen in the "decent" camp of JRPGS.

Good elements but the same flaws in every game. You'd think since there infrequent they'd polish them up. It's not like Tales where we get one every two years.
>>
>>343511731
I don't miss it. Not being able to have Ashton and Opera in the same party while Noel got forced on me made middle-school-me seethe with rage.
>>
>>343515707
You can avoid Noel if you're full before you get to him, I think
>>
>>343511374
SO5 combat wise feels like a true sequel to SO3. SO4 was weird in that regard, keeping some things of 3, cancels, but trying to be more like SO2, technics/magic with triggers. 5 plays a lot more like 3 but now you can truly defend and parry and dodging works like 4 but without the charging.
>>
>>343512309
I quit during the final arc. Of course a murderous dictator should have a chance at redemption, especially after carrying out genocide for decades.
>>
>>343515749
I think you can just tell him to fuck off too, and you'll probably have to to make room for Chisato. It's the principal of the thing.
>>
>>343515638
Rather than polish up old flaws, the new SO games usually introduce newer (better!) mechanics or elements that end up have their own flaws

That's what's sad about the SO games. They all show potential that never get around to fully realizing (as opposed to Tales, like you mentioned, which slowly introduces, improves and refines its systems)
>>
>>343516027
>>343515749
>>343515707
>>343511731

No one cares about Chisato or Noel.

Literally whos.
>>
>>343516209
Don't you talk shit about my Kung Fu Lois Lane waifu.
>>
>>343516428

LITERALLY WHO

Energy-Nede was the crappy part of SO2
>>
>>343516471
The world map sucked on Nede, but I thought that that part of the game was an improvement over the first. For one thing, your party had antagonists and an actual goal to deal with, rather than just aimlessly wandering around for no reason. The dungeon variety improved, too.
>>
So the only SO game I played was 3 and I loved it years ago, I know people are shitting on this game, but people shat on 3 as well. My question is should I get this game if I liked SO3?
>>
>>343517441
Ya you'll probably enjoy it.

Star Ocean has always appealed to a minority group of gamers. I don't think any of them were super well received critically.
>>
>>343517441

So far I still prefer SO3, but it's been fun so far.
>>
>>343510539
Watched my roommate play since the game came out. Other than the story which is typical JRPG-fare, the game is solid. Especially the fighting system and visuals.

At a certain point you should ignore opinion on JRPGs. The vast majority of people reviewing them don't know shit about what makes the genre compelling.
>>
>>343517671
>At a certain point you should ignore opinion on JRPGs.

While I know what you mean, I also get annoyed when the pendulum swings the other way, and people forgive JRPGs for not really progressing the genre and bank on nostalgia.
>>
>>343517878
That's true. Certain aspects of the game seem pulled from one of my most hated JRPG experiences, Tales of Graces F.
>>
>>343517581
That was Til the End of Time or something right?

I played that game out of sheer chance when I was younger, on the PS2 if I remember correctly. I think I picked it up because of the absolutely dank-ass holographic box it came in. I had a fucking blast with it, but I don't really remember why. I got stuck in some part after the party finds out the whole universe is a simulation, and they go to that Styx planet (can't believe I remember that) to get into the "real" world. There is a boss somewhere that consists of two futuristic guys, one of which (I think) has a gun. I could not beat them, period.

Now that I think about it, is it outstanding that the game needed 2 discs? Isn't that something for a PS2 game?
>>
>>343517878
Not him but for me JRPG is just a comfort game. As long as the plot isn't rage inducing and the voice acting (or give Japanese VA since I can't really tell when it's bad) and the combat isn't frustrating I can enjoy them more than most other games. JRPG and Musou games tend to be the only games where I can enjoy them when tons of people hate them.
>>
>>343518281
I think "comfort" games can exist in any genre - just something familiar and fun. So not every JRPG needs to be pushing boundaries, but similarly we can't have every JRPG refusing to evolve the genre.
>>
>>343516209

Both of them are capable of breaking the game harder than anyone else
>>
>>343518053

I could never get into it. I would get to the desert and rage quit due to mp death
>>
>>343518461
There's JRPG that tries to be more while others are perfectly happy where they are. Every genre is like that. If SO5 is a nice game where it is than just let it be there. The real issue is that for well over 5 years Japanese developers has been retarded and just jumping into mobile gaming since Japanese are playing that. So they have been pretty much out of the scene which kind of left them behind. SE seem to be the worse offender with only now playing catchup. Personally the only game by them I'm actually interested in is Dragon Quest and World of Final Fantasy.
>>
>>343510539
It's not that it's bad, it's just not trying anything new. If you just want kind of a JRPG that would fit in with something released in the PS2 era, go for it, but if you're expecting something that's going to break new ground, look elsewhere.
>>
>>343518053
I only remember Sidekick spam and Maria being the most busted shit I've seen in a game for a long time. Nel and captain pugilist stayed in my party for the whole game except the parts where the game wouldn't let me.
>>
>>343518854
>>343518798

Oh, sorry if I wasn't being clear. I'm not criticizing SO5 at all for being a regular JRPG. If anything, I'm upset that the incremental improvements it makes will be forgotten because the game is reviewing poorly.
>>
>>343518908
Maria is love.
Nel is love.
Mirage is love.

Peppita is alright.
>>
>>343518963
The problem is ever since the PS3 western games has been pretty much in the forefront. And reviewers has been pretty much dismissive of Japanese games with JRPG being now one of the most bashed game it seems. All the while completely empty open world games has been reviewed highly because of "freedom" even if there's nothing to do. I don't really look at reviewers anyways for JRPG since it tends to be the easiest to understand what mechanics it has in just a 10 minute video.
>>
>>343511670
>It's like they want to do a advance tech JRPG but for some reason keep falling back to medieval JRPG.

this
FUCK star ocean
>>
>>343517671
It's more there are games made for wider audience and there are games for genre enthusiasts. Latter generally understand former, but vice verse does not apply in most cases.
>>
>>343519290
because open world is such an engaging concept, bust most people can't look at anything, not just videos, critically to detect flaws and shit. journalists these days are little more than unofficial mouthpieces for the industry.
>>
File: worried witch_face.png (218 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
worried witch_face.png
218 KB, 600x568
>>343510539
>read most reviews
>complaints can be summarized as "game doesn't play itself enough" and "it plays like a PS2 JRPG"

What the fuck is wrong with these people?
>>
>>343519026

Clair best girl.
>>
>>343520387
Well, they are gaming journalists.
>>
>>343520430
NpC
>>
>>343520732
of course, they have more important things to do than do their jobs
>>
File: 1338287505983.png (7 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1338287505983.png
7 KB, 250x242
PAs in 5 fucking suck.

Welch is trash but not as trash as 4.

Deciding whether I should finish side quests now or chance it and wait until the end of the game while hoping that the planet doesn't blow up or everyone turns to stone or some other stupid Star Ocean bullshit.
>>
>>343521432
Welch is cute as fuck now, huge improvement.
>>
>>343521432
PAs were always a terrible idea
>>
My only complaint is that you can't change which character you control out of combat, I don't want to be forced to play as a man....
>>
>>343520387
If you actually read the reviews most complaints are about the short length and the small game world...
>>
File: Welch is a 3.14.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Welch is a 3.14.jpg
376 KB, 1920x1080
>>343521432
This Welch is cute and actually real. Not some purple haired diagram.
>>
>>343522307
Fidel's complete look of disgust is great here
>>
>>343522307
>delicious Welch shimapan

I could stare at it all day.
>>
>enter town
>private action
>enter building in the same town and then exit
>private action
>go in again and leave
>private action
>do it 5 more times
This is so fucking annoying
>>
Can you actually hit spells now unlike in SO4?
>>
>>343520076
>engaging concept
You either choose a GTA clone(for guns)or a Oblivion clone(swords and magic).
That is the limit of it story not withstanding.

Every open world game is just them two examples witha fresh coat of paint when you strip it all down.
>>
It's not terrible but it's average as fuck. I'm already getting fucking sick to death of the sidequests and having to go back to the same handful of areas over and over again with no fast travel.

Combat mechanics seem poorly thought out. The rock paper scissors stuff just doesn't work half the time because things get too hectic and bosses have fucking super armor. Ranged/casters it doesn't even seem to apply really since they can avoid most of the heat. Also a lot of skills are just fucking bad compared to the rest. I mean there's like no point in using anything other than Double Slash because it has a huge modifier and does huge damage.along with being cheap in cost.

PAs fucking suck and it's tedious as hell to see all of them.
>>
File: I know that feel.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
I know that feel.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>343522849
>>
Is it possible to refight the cave of trial bosses for orihalcum?
>>
>>343523419
Just max out your mining skill and you should get plenty.
>>
>>343510539

This game is getting panned by critics because of "bland environments" and voice acting. Oh and because of misogynistic characters.

The same critics are universally hailing Tokyo Mirage Sessions because of how "deep" it is.

Star Ocean 5 censored panties and panties only. TMS censored so much parts of the game do not make sense.

I'll leave why TMS is getting rave reviews up to you.
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS RUDDLE?
>>
Am I the only who can't stand the Japanese voice acting? Its so weeb pandering and annoying. Especially Redia (or whatever that lolli is called)
>>
>>343523560

First quest that made me go to google. Was sad, got over it. Got items I desperately needed going back and fighting everything.

10/10 would find Ruddle again.
>>
>>343523560
Go back past all towns you been since the capital and talk to the people in the inn he will spawn in the capital when you reach and talk to the infermary people in sthal.
>>
File: STAR OCEAN.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
STAR OCEAN.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>343510539
It's super interesting
>>
>>343523656
>the Japanese voice acting
I turned it on in 4 because of how awful everyone was, yet I didn't do that in this game.
>>
>>343523680
You have to find him again, i am dieing inside
>>
>>343523880
Annnnnd saved.
>>
>>343510539

Well the characters looks interesting as fuck. Just look at that androgynous teenaged boy. He uses a sword, and he's angsty. Wow!

And the girls! Don't even get me started! They look pretth much exactly the same as every girl from every JRPG ever. Amazing. Plus there's a bearded badass guy tailor suited to be a fan favourite. Sign me up! Gaming is saved!
>>
PC release when?
>>
>>343515870
I dont fully remember the story but Im pretty sure it wasnt her fault.
>>
>>343523945

Well I'm sure certain things the game does by that point make it easier to find him. Don't worry! Ruddle is love, Ruddle is Life.
>>
>>343524474

Yet Tokyo Mirage Sessions is getting 10 out of 10 from teh likes of Kotaku and Polygon for having characters completely covered in modern day clothing.

Gee...I wonder who the poster I'm quoting works for.
>>
>>343524956
No fast travel yet, had it then it gets taken from you. On the plus side i seem to be getting 1000+ SP everytime i run down the roads
>>
>>343511816
Because it was garbage.
>>
>>343524474
>angsty
Been playing for 20 hours now and the MC has yet to sit back and whine. Infact he is mostly posative about everything.
>>
When do you get good skills with Fiddle? I've gotten shotgun, air slash and death palm but they're garbage and the first skill in the game is still the best.

I read somewhere about Air Raid, does anyone where I can find it?
>>
>>343512159

> Kid on the left is a boy

I'm gonna snob that fucking game just for that
>>
>>343524474
MC is pretty cool, nothing like Edgy so far.
>>
>>343523551
I have both. TMS is a better game.
>>
>>343511816
Because it legitimately had the worst JRPG plot I've ever seen. Good god, was it stupid.
>>
>>343523513
>>343523513
Where?

I've had mining maxed out forever. Pretty sure it's not possible to get it from mining spots.
>>
I almost trashed the game when I found out Fiore was used goods. Then there was a PA where she asked me if I thought a guy who didn't send a letter for 3 years would have forgotten you. I said yup he forgot you in hopes of sloppy seconds. Unfortunately her reply didn't signify that I was on course for that. SO5 has turned me into a cuck,
>>
>>343525332
Vertical Air Raid is an endgame skill. Might be possible to get it earlthy through synthesis, but don't count on it.

Personally I just spam Vertical Air Raid and Kyoumensetsu (the combo move) over and over and use Air Slash and Strayer Void to attack from afar.
>>
>>343516128
>which slowly introduces, improves and refines its systems
It's a shame 90% of what's been introduced since Graces is total crap. I'd really prefer an overworld to the bullshit we have now and I'd certainly rather have slightly drier combat if it means co-op isn't completely gimped. I don't know about Berseria, though, I guess it looks okay. I just want another game in the Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia style.
>>
File: star-ocean-5-01-25-16-6[1].jpg (61 KB, 517x1024) Image search: [Google]
star-ocean-5-01-25-16-6[1].jpg
61 KB, 517x1024
Post more Welch.
>>
>>343523226
Play Xenoblade X
Probably the best recent example of an open world done well, even if it falls short in other areas
>>
>>343527954
Been meaning to get hold of a WII U so i will take your recomendation.

My point was that both them type of western open world games get 10/10s even to the point that the games themselves are begining to look the same, for example take saints row 3 and say crackdown 2 they are basiclly the same game
>>
>>343523880
It's a shame that the game is so unpolished, it look gorgeous.
>>
Square is to blame. They made tri-ace develop this game for both the PS4 and the PS3 and it shows. They run out of time to polish anything.
>>
>>343528992
Tri-ace was also working on Exist Archive with Spike at the same time, but it seems like that one turned out okay.
>>
Ok, now where's my SO3 and VP2 HD ports. WHERE?!
>>
>>343529201
It really didn't. It pretty much bombed and nobody ever talked about it afterwards.
>>
>>343529273
VP2 HD MUH DIK would explode for that
I am starting to wonder if they included the music from VP as a hint that they are working on something VP related.
>>
>>343529438
>VP related
They were, that mobile game came out a couple weeks after SO5 released in Japan.
>>
SO5 will be forgotten by most, but I will remember it fondly. Almost done with it.

Is there any reason to play it a second time? I assume there's Universe mode, but no one's really mentioned it or any reason to play through it again.
>>
>>343523551
>muh TMS
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.