[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The most mishandled character in video game history. Pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: 1379219759259.jpg (185 KB, 848x949) Image search: [Google]
1379219759259.jpg
185 KB, 848x949
The most mishandled character in video game history.

Pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 931x1051) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 931x1051
You rang?
>>
>>343497482
Did he ever show up in the MMO?
>>
>>343497540

Unfortunately
>>
>>343497540
Yes, but... well, you don't want to know, Anon. Trust me. It's better if we just pretend that it never happened.
>>
File: image.jpg (447 KB, 740x1123) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
447 KB, 740x1123
>>343497540
You kill him too
Pretty lame
>>
>>343497540
Nope never showed up. Everyone was surprised but they were all like, "Revan shouldn't be touched it would only diminish him as a character, right?"

The End.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1024x576
I still don't know what he was all about.
>>
>>343497707
BROTHER!
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 460x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 460x463
Everyone can agree that this was the face of revan right?
>>
>>343497707
Ocelot was a script bitch since mgs2. He was used to cover all scripts needs - fanservice bitch in mgs3, main villan bitch in mgs4, narrator bitch in mgs5.
>>
>>343497353
I don't really see how. He always had the signs indicating that he was a crazy motherfucker, they were just really subtle and didn't stand out until after you found out he was a crazy motherfucker.
If he wasn't evil, he would have told the naga to fuck right off the very moment he no longer needed their help. He knew about the kind of people naga are, he knew that they were responsible for every bad thing that has ever happened to his people because they were legion worshipping cockbags. I don't remember if the high/blood elves knew about the naga beforehand or not, but he would have known exactly who they were the moment one of them mention Azshara.

His actions only make sense if he was planning on serving the Legion the whole time. It's very confusing and very subtle, and didn't get the attention it really deserved because his story arc was split between WC3 and early WoW(which was basically devoid of proper storytelling until Wrath and Cata changed the pattern of story being something that only happens in raids.)
So I guess you could say he was mishandled because of that, but I wouldn't really call it mishandling. He was just the victim of Blizzard's fucktarded approach to game design back then.
>>
>>343497353
>>
>>343499024
Nobody knew what the naga were in Frozen Throne since they just showed up. Replay it.
>>
>>343499204
He still would have recognized names like Vashj and Azshara though,
They were extremely important families in highborne times, and Kael would have been taught about them. There was no way he didn't know exactly what they were.
>>
>>343497707
"Can't you even die right?"
>>
>>343499204
He fought them at Dalaran, helping the night elves!
>>
>>343497353
>mishandled
I think you meant misunderstood.
>>
Let's try to list WoW villains that were not corrupted, but were evil for other reasons:

>Old Gods
>Gul'dan
ummm
>>
>>343500538
and by WoW I meant Warcraft in general because I'm retarded
>>
>>343500538
The old gods aren't even evil, they are just trying to avoid sargeras.
>>
>>343498167
Considering they used a similar face for the MMO Im going to have to say no. The Bald dude is definitely the canon portrait.
>>
>>343500626
Wat. Its always been said that Sargeras is built the Legion and betrayed the Pantheon because he fears the Old Gods so badly.
>>
>>343500538
What I don't understand is that if Gul'dan was so damn powerful why did he die to the grunts at the Tomb of Sargeras?
>>
>>343500538
the old gods are like literal manifistations of corruption and chaos though

Kel'thuzad is a pretty good villain though
>>
>>343497353
》He's coming back in Legion
》They'll make him a dindu nuffin along with Illidan, just like the iron horde in Warlords
》Next expansion they'll do the same with Arthas

Fuxking Blizzard
>>
>>343500626

They're creations of the Voidlords. They want to corrupt the planet into becoming a dark titan, so they can influence the material universe without requiring to manifest in it.
>>
>>343500957
>Next expansion they'll do the same with Arthas
They already did that though. It was called Wrath of the Lich King.
>>
>>343500538
VanCleef.
>>
>>343500957
>Being dead several times for multiple expansions was merely a setback! Now i'm back as a redeemed villain.

I dont mind, like lore ever mattered in WoW past the RTS games especially since the lore has gone full retard. May as well go full fan service while they're at it.
>>
>>343500538
Azshara
Lady Vashj
Ragnaros
Kael'Thas Sunstrider
Sylvanas Windrunner
Genn Greymane (before he was "redeemed" by coming out of the closet as a furry, as though this somehow absolves his past crimes which have directly harmed every living creature on Azeroth)
Garrosh Hellscream
Xavius and the satyr
Nerzhul(Got himself corrupted by two totally different things in each timeline. That shit ain't a coincidence)
Kilrogg
Kargath
There's probably more that I can't remember. Warcraft doesn't actually have that many villains that were just corrupted. Sure it has way more than any other setting, but that's to be expected when the whole plot is based on a world trying to resist the corrupting influence of an evil god's army.
>>
>>343500715
Because even a hero can die to a stray bullet
>>
>>343501431
VanCleef was sorta corrupted though. He wasn't evil because he wanted to be evil. He was evil because a black dragon and her posse brainwashed him into thinking he was doing the right thing. That's corruption.
Same as with say Fandral Staghelm, who was only evil because the grief of losing his son drove him insane.
>>
>>343501837
Especially when that hero is too busy masturbating to realize he's fucking with forces more powerful than he has ever encountered before.
>>
>>343501803
At least half of these were corrupted.
>>
>>343501803
> Azshara
> Xavius.
> Kael'Thas Sunstrider
Corrupted by Burning Legion.

> Garrosh Hellscream
Corrupted by Old God.

> Nerzhul
> Killrogg
> Kargath
Corrupted by Demon Blood, arguably not 'corruption' since they started off as assholes, and just turned into bigger assholes, but i still count it.

I agree with the sentiment of not bitching about it, but fuckloads of the major movers and shakers in Azeroth end up 'corrupted.'
>>
>>343501803
>>343502337

Also, for Ragnaros the chances of an "Old Gods were corrupting the Elemental Spirits!" is basically at 99% at this point.
>>
>>343502337
>>> Garrosh Hellscream
>Corrupted by Old God.

Does it count as corruption when you willingly embrace it?
>>
>>343502426
>Legion will become the addon of redemption instead of corruption
Plot twist!
>>
>>343502508

IIRC (might be wrong i've only played one Horde) but doesn't the lead up to him finding the heart imply hes gone a bit off in the head and is going out of his way to find it sacrificing lives and making choices he otherwise wouldn't?
>>
>>343502029
>Azshara
>Lady Vashj
Sought out the Legion of their own accord, and even after they were burned they still decided to be evil anyway

>Ragnaros
Literally just doing his own thing and breaking out of prison because he could and nobody could stop him(or so he thought)
He's honestly not even really evil though. He's a dick with an iron fist sure, but he's only a threat to the world as an unfortunate side effect of being a fire elemental. He could very easily be played as a far more sympathetic villain than he really is, since all he wants is his freedom back.

>Kael'Thas Sunstrider
>Sylvanas Windrunner
Underwent some kind of moral dilemma and then actively chose to be evil in the end because they prefer it that way

>Genn Greymane
>Garrosh Hellscream
Misguided and overly prideful. Thought they were doing the right thing for their people but really they were just fucking over everything.

>Xavius and the satyrs
Sought out the Legion and contacted them first to beg to be blessed with their demonic taint, unlike the highborn who were given an offer and decided to accept

>Kargath
>Nerzhul
>Kilrogg
Were all just as evil before and after the demon blood.

>>343502426
Dude, the elemental spirits were created by the old gods. This has been canon since the moment Ragnaros existed. They serve them, but not faithfully because they're prideful, selfish and nitpicky. The elemental lords were the old gods champions against the titans, and they were imprisoned in their elemental realms when the titans won.

>>343502508
No, otherwise the Draenei would be "corrupted" by the Naaru.
>>
>>343502703
see
>>343502337
>>
>>343502681
He started hearing whispers from Yshaarj when he first landed on Pandaria, so he was corrupted in the end, yes.
He was a villain before that though. He pulled the Theramore bullshit before Pandaria was rediscovered, and he was already starting to go crazy from paranoia since literally everyone hated him except for the Kor'kron.

I guess you could argue that he was corrupted though since all his villainy stemmed from the stress of being thrust into a position he didn't want, wasn't ready for, wasn't fit for and wasn't accepted in all because Thrall wanted to run free and go suck elemental cock. I feel bad for Garrosh. I wish he could have gotten that redemption arc in WoD that was rumored about.
>>
>>343497635
>>343497540
Actually, no.

He survives the Star Forge battle. But he decides his time is over and chooses to die. However, his dark side takes control of his body, and his light side passes on.

Then begins the Shadow of Revan expansion. Revan has assembled an army of Imperial and republic soldiers and agents and wants to kill the Emperor. You go to Yavin 4 where the Emperor is regenerating, and it takes an army of the Empire and Republics best converging on Revan at the same time to knock some sense back into him. His light side shows up and convinces the dark side to merge with him again and to pass on.

>>343500957
If he hasn't been mentioned yet, he's not showing up.

>>343501803
>Azshara
She is literally the Old Gods chief agent now that Deathwing is gone. Pretended to serve the Burning Legion to trick Sargeras into using the Dragon Soul to release the Old Gods. Remember the Well of Eternity 5-man? The Old Gods swatted Deathwing away because he was about to ruin their plan.

So that's double corrupted by Old Gods and Burning Legion. Your list didn't get off to a good start by listing one of the most supremely hyper-mega-ultra corrupted beings ever.

>Garrosh
Garrosh was corrupted by Old Gods. Didn't you play MoP? Didn't you see the part where he's saying what the Old God is telling him to?

>Kael'Thas
Kael'Thas was corrupted by Fel.
>>
>>343502985
>I wish he could have gotten that redemption arc in WoD that was rumored about.

Same. I actually did enjoy the fact that he did what he thought was best for the horde rather than just pussyfooting around every issue due to fear of offending the Alliance.
>>
>>343502703
I don't know if it's new lore or not, but Chronicle states that the elemental lords are native to azeroth and were enslaved by the old gods.
>>
>>343502703
>Implying Blizzard cares about their own lore at this point.

I stand by my call, Thrall will come back with some nonsense about wanting to cleanse the spirit lords at some point, but for now, fair deuce.

Also, you can still be 'evil' and get corrupted, Nerzhul (original timeline) was tricked by Sargearas pretending to be spirits of the dead ushering in the corruption. I'm just remembering that WC3 line from Grom though where he said 'we drank the blood willingly' so i'll rescind on the orcs (atleast the Clan leaders), but still the vagueness of 'corruption' means it could still be read as them being corrupted, though not in the context of 'characters corrupted by a force out of their control to be redeemed' which is this discussion.

Azsharas 'seeking' of the legion was madness induced by the legion, aka coruption, same with Xavius. Vashj was loyal to azshara, and got corrupted into Naga, again, still 'evil' but also 'corrupted.'
>>
>>343502881
That's wrong though.
> Azshara
> Xavius.
> Kael'Thas Sunstrider
>Corrupted by Burning Legion.
No. Azshara isn't even loyal to the Legion. She is loyal only to herself and is pure evil.
Xavius chose his path willingly and worked to earn it. He's no more fel-corrupted than a priest is light-corrupted.
Kael'Thas also chose his path willingly. Unless you're going for the insanity plea, he wasn't corrupted by anything.

> Garrosh Hellscream
>Corrupted by Old God.
No. His villain arc started before that. If he wasn't already evil then Yshaarj wouldn't have been able to do shit to him.
>>
>>343503192
It is new, and fucking hell. I think i'm gonna have to give up on posting about wow lore now, from what i've heard there is some fucking retarded shit and i'm already getting annoyed by having to differentiate Gul'Dans and Nerz'Zhuls and other orc by their timelines.
>>
>>343503192
Sounds like a clarification on old lore. All we knew is that the elemental lords were slaves to the old gods and fought against the titans on their behalf. I don't think it was directly stated that they were created by the old gods, just that they had the power of the old gods while they fought the titans.
>>
>>343497353
Mages using swords is my fetish. Why don't more games let you do that?
>>
>>343503336
>Kael'Thas also chose his path willingly. Unless you're going for the insanity plea, he wasn't corrupted by anything.

He went coco for fel energy bro, classic example of corruption. Went from "i must protect my people" to GIBSMEDAT DEMON SEMEN KILJADEN!

Also loyalty isn't a precursor for corruption. Azshara was corrupted. Her being 'evil' or 'self serving' doesn't undo the fact she was changed and corrupted by a force greater than her.
>>
>>343503592

Also as for Garrosh, You didn't need to be evil to be corrupted by Sha, we see like, all of the Alliance race leaders get corrupted in one of the questlines, just because he started 'bad' does not mean he wasn't corrupted.
>>
>>343503538
You should buy World of Warcraft: Legion™!
>>
>>343503592
Oh wait nevermind. I just went back and read about all that shit and apparently the lore was changed since the last time I read it. Azshara and Xavian were totally corrupted, and Xavian apparently no longer chose to be a satyr which is just fucking stupid if you ask me but oh well. Fucking Knaak should be pushed off a cliff.
>>
>>343503098
>He survives the Star Forge battle. But he >decides his time is over and chooses to die. >However, his dark side takes control of his >body, and his light side passes on.

>Then begins the Shadow of Revan expansion. >Revan has assembled an army of Imperial and >republic soldiers and agents and wants to kill >the Emperor. You go to Yavin 4 where the >Emperor is regenerating, and it takes an army >of the Empire and Republics best converging >on Revan at the same time to knock some >sense back into him. His light side shows up >and convinces the dark side to merge with >him again and to pass on.

Disgusting
>>
File: 23444111.png (157 KB, 274x292) Image search: [Google]
23444111.png
157 KB, 274x292
>>343497353
>one of the most feared villains during the burning crusade
>a hero to the people of quel'thalas
>to some, even more iconic than even illidan
>the ultimate cockblock that prevented millions from receiving their 'hand of a'dal' title
>"let's turn him zombie and throw him into a 5man, just for lulz"
I'm already fearing what they've got planned for illidan in legion.
>>
File: FUCK OFF.gif (729 KB, 451x268) Image search: [Google]
FUCK OFF.gif
729 KB, 451x268
>>343504048
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrOJ9Sl82P4
>>
>>343504107
Illidan is getting a far, far worse treatment, you don't fight him though.
>>
>>343504107
>implying magister's terrace isn't the best dungeon ever
>implying MY DEMISE ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING! THE MASTER WILL HAVE YOU... YOU WILL DROWN IN YOUR OWN BLOOD! THE WORLD SHALL BURN! NAARGH! isn't the best piece of audio ever added to a video game
I should get that shit engraved on my headstone.
>>
>>343503982
Welcome to Blizzard

I used to read Warcraft books, the Wikis and I played the games.

I had a dumb amount of knowledge over the universe. I quit wow a month after mop came out and never came back.

I had an argument with a guy over the story/lore when the movie came out and he was saying complete nonsense that wasn't in the lore. And then he actually backed up his claims with many of the retcons that blizzard did in recent years.

Everything I knew about Warcraft was gone. In no time, blizzard fucked it's own story since. I was aware of retcons when I played wow but I quickly learned about them annoyingly. This time I knew nothing anymore.
>>
>>343504207
>kael died a broken husk of a man
>in his final moment he yells out the most edgelord line in the history of edgelords
rip. I agree it's a great line, but he deserved better than this. he's one of the few elves I actually respect.
>>
>>343499024
The Naga do not serve the Legion. They serve Azshara who serves the Old God that saved her life. Nobody knew about the Naga since they were supposed to die when the well of eternity blew up. Kael'thas worked with them because they helped him and treated his people better then his old allies, the humans did. In WC3 he was a good leader who cared about his people and a likeable character. In WOW, he became a corrupter lunatic like pretty much every other character
>>
>>343504567
That's the point. He's a huge lore figure who fell so far that he ended up a garbage boss in a 5 man who drops a bird. It actually fits with the whole 'broken' type Blood Elf thing they had going on.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.