[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lisa.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: 1467437858922.png (2 KB, 150x233) Image search: [Google]
1467437858922.png
2 KB, 150x233
Why is this game so horribly overrated?
>>
>>343494586
it deserves all the praise it gets
>>
it was a good and cheap game to come out on steam during a period when the things coming out were especially shit
>>
>>343494669
It really doesn't though.
>people say it has great writing
You have to be fucking kidding me.
>>
File: Question mark.jpg (7 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
Question mark.jpg
7 KB, 201x251
>Overrated

Never tough LISA was overrated.
>>
>>343495173
It's not very popular or mainstream but the people who know about it praise it extensively. I've never seen anyone really shit-talk it either.
>>
>>343494586
>Pixels
>Indie
>"Deep"

Checks out.
>>
>>343495173
it gets brought up every thread the fans can as 'the best, and only good game of 2016', not to mention the annoying shitposting rivalry between lisa fans and undertale fans
>>
>>343496173
its not a 2016 game you miserable fucking moron
>>
>>343494586
Under____
Fill the blanks
>>
It was a very good game, but never want to play it again

It's like the Requiem for a Dream of video games, definitely solid but you really only need to play it once
>>
>>343496510
Doesn't change the fact that it's overrated too.
>>343496561
I wouldn't call it "very good", I'd call it "mediocre bordering on being bad".
>>
>>343496907
Okay well we disagree
>>
>>343494586
You know "overrated" is not really a criticism for the game, right?
So, do you have any actual criticism to start a discussion about the game or this is just poorly disguised bait?
>>
>>343497076
Welp.
>>343497178

>>343494865
This + the added bonus it's actually kind of shittily written.
>Unpopular opinions are bait.
Ebin.
>>
File: Goodbye.png (215 KB, 1355x831) Image search: [Google]
Goodbye.png
215 KB, 1355x831
It had its moments
>>
>>343497389
Shitty written isn't a constructive criticism, you retard.

Tell us why you thing the writing is shit, and then we'll talk.

Otherwise, yes, it rather looks like you're baiting.
>>
>>343497389
>hey guys look at my unpopular opinion I'm so contrarian i had to make a thread about it xd
fuck off this thread is garbage
>>
>>343497854
>oh look he has a tough past feel bad for him
>oh yes but hes actually stunting the growth of humanity although the likelihood of this plan actually working is so fucking tiny that it hurts (inbreeding with fertility issues, a single fucking child, etc) we won't address this though
>oh look at these incredibly tonal shifts where everything is 100% serious or 100% comedic
>she went to an island that conveniently had your dad that she knew of because reasons
>you go to rando's island
>your companions are now here somehow with no boat
>they suddenly know about your plans
>fight them oh so sad you have to kill your one-dimensional joke companions
>kill your old karate student oh so sad
>none of your choices mattered lol

There's probably more that I'm leaving out too.
>>343497919
>ahahahah no negative opinions allowed
>>
>>343498281
>>ahahahah no negative opinions allowed
I don't even like lisa but your shitty opinion doesn't deserve its own thread faggot, keep it to yourself or go write a fucking review about it no one here fucking cares

just let this thread die
>>
>>343498281
And if you want a more general version of my problems:
>Convenience for drama.
>Trying to make you feel sad for the dumbest reasons.
>Simplicity in characters, the world, and the view of the main conflict.
>Horrible mood whiplash.
>Edginess for the sake of edginess.
>Lack of interesting ideas and originality.
>>
>>343494586
because some people like it. It is not something that is complicated.
>>
>>343498820
Why is my opinion shitty? Why not talk about this on a video game forum?
>>
>>343499010
What game do you consider to be underrated?
>>
>>343498281
>an island that conveniently had your dad that she knew of because reasons
This is the only problem I actually have with the writing itself. Everything else you said was just repeating what happens, except with a shitty tone to show that you don't personally like it.
>>
>>343499086
None; I don't know. Where was this supposed to go?
>>
>>343499259
>oh yes but hes actually stunting the growth of humanity although the likelihood of this plan actually working is so fucking tiny that it hurts (inbreeding with fertility issues, a single fucking child, etc) we won't address this though

This isn't a problem? The fact that we're supposed to think Brad is legitimately harming the chances of humanity surviving when it's almost 100% impossible anyway?

>your companions are now here somehow with no boat
>they suddenly know about your plans

This isn't a problem? How we're supposed to care about killing our companions who miraculously followed us without a boat with virtually no reason given to us by the actual game? Same thing with Rando.

The stupid tonal jumps? How is none of this shit a problem? You really think a shitty tone is all that makes that look bad?
>>
>>343494586
>overrated
but it's not. I only ever hear of this game on /v/.

I've seen a good handful of people talk shit about the gameplay mechanics. I also recall lots of hate on Joyful in general, in which, I can definitely understand.

>>343498281
>they suddenly know your plans
Brad met Buddy and his former friends several times and it should've been clear to the party members what was going on between those two. What you should've complained about is how they didn't give a shit until the very last second.

But he didn't die
>>
>>343499664
>they suddenly know your plans
Brad met Buddy and his former friends several times and it should've been clear to the party members what was going on between those two. What you should've complained about is how they didn't give a shit until the very last second.
Good point.

But he didn't die
Forgot that. Again, a good point.
>>
>>343498281
>>343498898
>oh look he has a tough past feel bad for him
Do you mean that every character with a shit past is a shitty written character? Why do you consider it to be shitty writing?
>Your second >
I have no fucking idea what you were trying to say here, because you were literally repeating what happened in the game. Perhaps illogicalness of character's desicions is what you see to be at fault here. But humans aren't computers, they're illogical. People who were trying to save humanity with Buddy were hardly even shown to be smart in any way. The trauma of the past events and the glimmer of hope which is Buddy would highly lead them into believing that this plan indeed could work, because there were nothing else they could do.
>oh look at these incredibly tonal shifts where everything is 100% serious or 100% comedic
Again, what's bad about it? Writing stuff in green hardly makes this stuff obviously bad.
>she went to an island that conveniently had your dad that she knew of because reasons
Well, I guess if something similar to this would happen in a real life you would blame Moirai for shit writing as well.
>you go to rando's island, your companions are now here somehow with no boat, they suddenly know about your plans
I guess this was supposed to be one point.
While it wasn't explained how they managed to learn your plans and where did they get the boat. I think it's pretty clear that after traveling with you for so long they would get some clue of what you were trying to accomplish.
You may say that them getting a boat is a plot hole, but the thing is, Lisa's story is quite literally Brad's story, and as such you have no why of knowing what happend with your friends while you were away. Perhaps Rando's army found them and helped to get there, or something else.
Again in what way or form is this a bad writing?
cont.
>>
Lisa the Joyful was pretty trash.
>>
>>343494586
It didn't have the same effect on me as Undertale did. Everything was a little too dark but it didn't feel like it served any purpose except for being dark. Both Earthbound and Undertale have their higher reasons for the world being the way it is. In Lisa there's no point to the story, it happens, it's emotional, but there's nothing to take out of it. You just fill in the blanks and make up your own motivation for the characters.
>>
>>343498281
Stating what happens in the story and using words like "shit" does not constitute a reason as to why the story would be poorly written. In other words, not an argument.
>>
>>343496173
This thread should've ended here when the OP was proven to be a baiting piece of shit.
>>
>>343499573
>The fact that we're supposed to think Brad is legitimately harming the chances of humanity surviving when it's almost 100% impossible anyway?
You're not supposed to think that at all. The characters that you oppose think that. They are all dumb and they want to fuck a woman, that's all.
>>
>>343500914
Our initial liking of him has nothing to do with his character. It's artificial. The backstory doesn't really add much to him anyway.

They weren't shown to be smart but they were shown to be right. Subsequently, we're supposed to have mixed feelings about Brad doing this because he will hurt humanity.

It's choppy, unnatural, and hurts the game.

What? How is this not a problem, again?

It's contrivance. Not a plot-hole.

We have no reason to care for them. At all.

>>343501327
>Implying that's all I did with that post.
>>343501396
We're actually talking about the game now, so no, it shouldn't have.
>>343501437
Lines like "this is our future, brad" and all of your companions making heartfelt speeches about how you're doing wrong make this point seem really iffy.
>>
>>343500914
>>343498281
>>343498898
cont.
This was simply a means to demonstrate the whole despair of the situation Brad got himself into, where he's all alone by himself against the world, and it worked beautifully imo.

The same shit. Do you even know about him being your old student at this point?

Don't see how it's a shit writting.

>Convenience for drama.
What convenience? It's written by someone of course to create drama something has to happen conveniently.

>Trying to make you feel sad for the dumbest reasons.
If it makes feel you said, the writing succeeded.
>Simplicity in characters, the world, and the view of the main conflict.
Complexity is overrated.

>Edginess for the sake of edginess.
It just helped to create the tone of the game. Again there's nothing inherently wrong with edginess itself, as far as it doesn't take itself too serious. I hope you're not trying to accuse the game in that, are you?

>Horrible mood whiplash.
Isn't a shit writing.

>Lack of interesting ideas and originality
Yeah? I haven't seen this particular take on the apocalypsis yet, neither I have seen the game with a similarly bizzare setting. When everything from the music to the art lies in a perfectly harmonic atmospher of melancholy which yet manages to be its own.
>>
>>343501780
Yes, I did. No reason to care.

My bad. That's more of a mechanical flaw. But it could be some metanarrative bullshit.

Companions following, island bullshit, Rando being a student; not story-breakingly contrived but it's just shallow and empty bullshit usually thrown in for "an emotional scene".

It didn't.

Not when your game also fails at execution.

Horrible shit felt like it was shoved in at every corner to "raise the stakes". Cutting off my arm once was good enough. Then you did it again. Then you made me watch you cut off a little girl's nipple. Enough is enough.

Definitely is.

No women is an OK idea for an apocalypse but it's far from being original and the game's handling of it was kind of boring. The backstory behind it is also really dumb and pointless. The music was very nice though.
>>
>>343495349
GEE I WONDER WHY
>>
>>343501579
>Implying that's all I did with that post.
"Oh look at X" is not an argument.
>>
>>343502234
>Hot Opinions: The Post
>>
>>343502346
>Pointing out that these people showed up out of nowhere is not an argument
>Point out that none of your choices matter is not an argument
>Pointing out that someone knowing about something they couldn't possible know about is not an argument.
>Pointing out the flaws in the game's presentation of the main conflict is not an argument.
Piss off, tosser.
>>343502465
Yup. Very hot.
>>
>>343502541
It's a rough and imperfect game with its appeal being its peculiar narrative and presentation which resonated strongly with a small crowd while being passed over by almost everyone else.

What are you here to argue? That it has faults and weaknesses? That you didn't like it and so other people's opinions are bad? Do you like to trash things with cult followings in general?
>>
>>343502541
They had a couple of day to find out a mean of transportation and they could easily figure out where you were heading. As far as plot hole go, I've seen worse.

It's not. Your choices had effect the moments you made them though but they didn't affect the endings. So what?

>Pointing out that someone knowing about something they couldn't possible know about is not an argument.
I still don't get why you think Buddy shouldn't know Brad's Dad. Are you completly retarded?

>Pointing out the flaws in the game's presentation of the main conflict is not an argument.

The main conflict was presented just fine. If it was 100% edge or humor all the time it wouldn't have the same effect. The humor had to the absurdity of the situation.
>>
>>343503253
>What are you here to argue? That it has faults and weaknesses?
Yeah, basically.
>That you didn't like it and so other people's opinions are bad?
I've tried not to be condescending here.
>Do you like to trash things with cult followings in general?
Just things in general.
>>343503358
Still kind of dumb and unnatural.

I would think saving my companion's lives would be brought up a couple of times after. Or you know, someone actually caring that I was trying to be selfless or anything.

My problem was that she would have no idea where he would be or who he was before she got there.

I've already said why I disliked the presentation. The edge and humor didn't mesh well, at all.
>>
>>343501579
Yes it does, how does it not? It literally shows us that Brad is a good guy who tries to help people. The fact of him actining selfishly by trying to hide Buddy creates the feeling of conflict in his character, which is explained by his family problems.

Again, what you're arguing with this point?

You opinion.

Alright, I'll give you this for a simple fact that it could've been easlily cut out of the game and it's rather sudden occurrence. However I found this event as one of the examples of life's illogicness.

Yes, it is. Still doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Yes, we do. We have been traveling with them for quite a long time. You may not care, but because of the flashback in the beginnig you know Brad does.

>>343502234
?

It's a means to get an idea across, works quite well with the theme of the game imo

It just tells the story, it doesn't force feelings. It shows Brad determination. His desire to protect Buddy multiplied by Joy.

An opinion

An opinion. It's not perfect, but it does its job.

It helped to define your character, It did feel forced at times tho, I agree.

Was it somewhere else then? Your opinion on execution hardly matters when it comes to originality. Again matters not. With this I can agree.
>>
>>343503776
I meant the thing about his father. He could easily just wanted to help a little girl because she's a little girl. Didn't add much depth me thinks.

They were both wrong. One was shown to have morality but short-sightedness while the other was immoral and "logical".

I forgot to add that it was pretty pointless too.

Still a sign of iffy writing.

We've been travelling with this empty husks with stats for a while. I care not for their characters, only their numbers.

The theme of redemption or new lives or whatever? That seems like it's stretching it. I don't know what you're getting at.

The convenience of these things (not to mention how unnecessary some are) makes it feel forced.

It could have been defined once.

There have been a lot of off-shot stories about it and I've seen been done in like, Futurama, I think; it's at least, not a foreign concept. It does when all it has for originality is its premise and not how it's treated.
>>
>>343503606

>I would think saving my companion's lives would be brought up a couple of times after. Or you know, someone actually caring that I was trying to be selfless or anything.
Why should random people care about how you loses your arms? And the compagnions have no dialogues once they join you. Maybe if the game was longer they could have some. But even if they did what would you have liked to have? "Oh thanks Brad for saving my life. Here's a super poncho with +100 def"

>My problem was that she would have no idea where he would be or who he was before she got there.

>Buddy get saved by Marty
>Buddy tell him her story
And then I don't remember if she knew Marty was Brad's dad or not but if she did
>"Oh hey I think know the guy in your story I had a son called like that"

>The edge and humor didn't mesh well, at all.
Why? I though it was great. If the game was 100% edge, it would just get dull and the game would have to be more and more edgy to even phase you. By making you laught sometime, the game can make the tension drop. It also create an eerie and depressing atmosphere.
>>
>>343504224
I think Buzzo would at least give a shit. I would think some consequence would come from me saving people's lives. If it comes off as natural or unnatural is up to the writer, but without it, it feels kind of void.

Still really forced and I don't she diiiiiiiiid.

You get your arm cut off and then run into a man taking a shit. This is the kind of thing that pervades through the game. There's never really a serious scene with funny undertones or vice versa. The humor was often so ridiculous that I felt completely detached from the game's actual world. It takes drastic leaps in tone. I'm fine with some emotional range but the way it was done was just awful.

But it really did feel like it was trying more and more to be edgy in order to phase me by the end.
>>
Shame really.
>>
>>343504804
What?
>>
>>343502541
You do know Brad literally just made a random fucking raft to go to that island right? How is it a story writing mistake that they caught up given that Brad fell unconcious because of joy? This is a stupid complaint.

Which choices? Choosing between items and a party member is a very real choice. Choosing not to take joy gives you a hidden ending with Dusty and allows you to recruit another party member.

Where in the game did she say she knew where Marty was?

You didn't do any of that though.
>>
>>343504912
Yeah, but he used up all of the wood needed for that. It seems kind of strained for them to join up. It's not a mistake, it's just iffy.

Arms and Joy, mostly. In what? The DLC? Did I not notice something?

What? How do they she find him? Why did she find? If she didn't know, that's almost dumber. It's forced and silly.

I did. The game makes it seem like Brad it legitimately hurting humanity's chances of surviving. He's really not. And I fucking said this already.
>>
>>343504912
>>343505239
Oh, well, that's just an extra scene. I forgot about that. That doesn't necessarily change the end result though. I don't really think that counts.

The extra party member is really kind of stretching it too; it's not much.
>>
>>343505239
>I did. The game makes it seem like Brad it legitimately hurting humanity's chances of surviving. He's really not. And I fucking said this already.
She would've be used as a baby making machine. There are still countless men in Olathe. I'm not saying it would've worked, but that's what they wanted. The people in LISA aren't that smart anyways, most justed wanted her for sex. Your point doesn't hurt the narrative of the story even if it was right.
>>
>>343505741
Yes, it does. Because Brad seems a lot less "broken" and selfish if their plan is 99.999% doomed to fail. There are now almost no reasons to be conflicted over what he did with Lisa. This directly hurts the narrative's goal.
>>
File: 1435956617155.gif (67 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1435956617155.gif
67 KB, 500x400
Whenever I see these threads I feel like I'm the only one who played the first game.

Other than the dad and the daughter, are the two games really related at all? I don't feel like playing this game and I don't want to watch a shitty lp.
>>
>>343506006
>Because Brad seems a lot less "broken" and selfish if their plan is 99.999% doomed to fail
But Brad didn't feel bad about him causing extinction at all. It being a "99.999%" chance to fail is up for debate. If Buddy had 20 children (which there are people who have had much more than 20) and half were female, and those 10 had the same amount, you could repopulate without massive inbreeding, albeit there would still be massive depopulation as the older men die.
>>
>>343506081
They're related as in LISA the painful continues the story, but it is nothing like LISA the first in gameplay. Just pirate it.
>>
>>343506203
It's barely an extinction. Yeah, I guess. Still really slim though. He also had a line that said "not yet" but I don't know how true to his character that was.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.