[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when the best roguelike was announced on Steam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: elo.png (78 KB, 956x554) Image search: [Google]
elo.png
78 KB, 956x554
Where were you when the best roguelike was announced on Steam?
>>
honestly fuck roguelikes
they are just anti-fun games
>>
>>343494842
No, perma-death is fun. And this game doesn't even have that.
>>
Roguelikes are the mason jars of games.
>>
You mean Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike?
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. You should buy it and have fun with it.
It's a roguelike.
>>
File: A very talented hedonist.png (979 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
A very talented hedonist.png
979 KB, 1280x768
Good taste OP

Thing is, it isn't going to be Elona+ which is just entirely superior and still getting constantly updated. I'm fucking shocked this is happening either way. You can sell little girls into slavery and it's coming to steam.
>>
So what happens to all the unofficial fan made content that's been keeping it alive?
>>
>>343494576
Not free anymore?
>>
>>343495241
I'm bamboozled by the fact that Noa suddenly came back from the dead and decided t put it on Steam. He speaks of a new version though, I don't know what he means exactly. Updated or an entirely new game set in that universe? But yeah, Elona+ is a much better game compared to the original. He should just work with the guy who made it and try to release it on Steam instead.
>>
>>343495241
>karma: -90
>>
>>343495241
I'm curious what he means by "new elona" but Noa being alive is a giod thing I guess.
>>
>>343495574
>>343495708
It's possible that he's talking about Elona+ I guess, who knows. I guess only time will tell.

>>343495670
This doesn't work as well anymore but I got my Summon Spirits spell up to ridiculous levels so that they were like level 2000 on summon. I'd meteor all the people in Party Time! quests dead, then fill the area to the NPC limit with level 2000 spirits and Alchemic Rain love potions to get maximum quest points from them. You get an insane amount of music tickets from doing this you can use to buy Hero Cheeses and the like. Huge karma hit though.
>>
File: elona.jpg (134 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
elona.jpg
134 KB, 800x600
>>
>>343494576
One Way Heroics has been there for a while.
>>
>>343494576
Change the story of Pael's Mom quest and I'll buy this shit.
>>
>>343494576
Good for him. I hope he isn't stupid and tones anything down. Played Elona years ago. Just price it sensibly
>>
File: flanders has ascended.png (128 KB, 264x346) Image search: [Google]
flanders has ascended.png
128 KB, 264x346
>around long enough to have a sequel
>"early access"
>>
File: elpgp.jpg (127 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
elpgp.jpg
127 KB, 600x600
If I got put in solitary confinement and they said I could only bring one game to play for the next 5 years, I'd bring Elona.

But like >>343495241 said, I'm confused because Elona+ is where it's at these days, nobody plays vanilla Elona anymore. Wonder if Noa is pairing up with Ano or something? I could see them releasing each 'stable' build as an update (since the development ones break everything so often)
>>
>>343495574
>>343495241
I'm very much guessing Elona on a new engine with all the original content and since he states early access he probably means he intends to update it just like in the old days. As for "Why now?". The answer is Steam has been becoming increasingly interesting for Japanese indie games makers, I've noticed a trend of Japanese indie devs interested in putting their games on Steam. It's very obvious Noa is much more willing to continue Elona again if he can make some cash off it. Personally I'd be willing to support an updated version, even more so because it'd likely get a good translation unlike what we have right now.
>>
>>343497190
I like OWH, but I still like Elona better. Sorry anon.
>>
>not elona+ custom
who even cares
>>
>>343494576
>procgen
>permadeath
>turn-based
How did this genre ever take off, it's like the epitome of boring design.
>>
>>343494576
Oh shit, Noa's still alive? That's good news, but what about Elona+? It's so far ahead of vanilla that it's not even funny.
>>
File: 1458625770080.jpg (103 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
1458625770080.jpg
103 KB, 900x700
>>343500801
Elona+ is entertaining, it's grindy but there is a lot of humor that can come from the translations and the things you can do in the game. There is also a staggering amount of stuff you can do ingame that makes each character you create unique.
>>
>>343500801
Elona doesn't really have perma-death though. However you do get some bad shit for dying.
>>
File: 1458621077679.jpg (272 KB, 650x800) Image search: [Google]
1458621077679.jpg
272 KB, 650x800
>>343503081
You can play inferno mode which adds perma death. Most people play on advancing mode and deal with the penalties that come with death.
>>
>>343494576
So when was Poschengband announced on steam?
>>
>>343500801
It just works.

It's the exact opposite of the modern open world game. You'd expect roguelikes to suck but they're great, and you thought open world games were good, but you eventually wised up.
>>
>haven't played elona+ in like a month
>load up my character
>spend an hour just trying to remember what I was doing
>give up

I guess I'll just jump in a random dungeon and grind.
>>
>>343503552
Elona is the E.Y.E. of roguelikes.
>>
>>343494576
If I wanted roguelikes I would dust off my GBA, not my fucking PC.
These games should be free nowadays.
>>
>>343503552
You want play tips? Everyone loves play tips.
>Pet
Make sure to get ores to give to her, and fuse them for brilliant rubynus etc, if you can, to boost potentials. Feed em frequently
Bread type food is good and doesn't spoil, fruit for when you aren't travelling a lot and herbs are best.
Accept a job reward while on an empty tile, pick up all the non-gold then displace pet onto it for a constant stream of training.

You can only change the material of random artifacts. Remember to only use material kits on godly items, every other tier can be rerolled with regular scrolls of change material.

>skill/stat potential
Eat large picnic baskets made with high skill. Invest in 3 or 4 magic shops to rank 110. Preferably higher and more. You can hire them at your house board
Buy potions of potential from them and bless stacks
Hire a maid and have 6 or so platinum always on hand for guild trainers.
Craft with alchemy
Once every even numbered month go to nyoel and quaff from the holy well
Eat herbs you used a pot for fusion to "herb in"

cont..
>>
>>343503671
Try playing Elona+ on your GBA. We could use a good laugh.

>>343503770
>things to do when lucky
Harvest artifact/unknown/magic seeds/plant and or rejuvenate more.
Blackjack in palmia/port kapul
Wear +craft skill and craft. Especially important for crafting panties/spears/lightsabers for godly/living
Open chests, treasure balls, rare treasure balls in your hoard
Visit the strange scientist/black markets that have restocked since you last visit without the buff
Dig up treasure maps that are nearby
Dive nearby dungeons to get and open chests for much better loot.

I don't know if this still works but
>using mage guild for constant supply of spell books
You have a buttload of stock when you talk to him, select the reserve option and he brings up a menu of spells to reserve spellbooks for you.
Later he'll have spellbooks of that type for you to buy. Invest to unlock reserving higher level books

If you haven't been, don't use the last read of a book.
Store all your read:1 books and later when you have higher magic device you can fill charge and read under diving wisdom to replenish in an emergency
>>
>the best roguelike
But anon that image has nothing to do with NetHack.
>>
>the best roguelike
But anon that image has nothing to do with ToME.
>>
>the best roguelike
But anon that image has nothing to do with Dredmor
>>
>>343504191
>>343504083
>>343503923
But anon, none of those have anything to do with Elona.
>>
>>343504191
>Dredmor
>not a memegame
>>
>>343504331
Dredmor was the shit when it was actually getting content updates.
>>
roguelikes aren't fun
>>
>>343494948
>And this game doesn't even have that.
It does though. If you enable it.
>>
>>343497584
>a sequel
1. Elona was never finished.
2. Elona+ isn't a sequel. It's a collection of third party mods expanding Elona. It's basically the Tamriel Rebuilt of Elona.
>>
File: Elona1.jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Elona1.jpg
109 KB, 800x600
>>343503671
Typical cuck who think there's any rogue-like on console that's better than Elona. Kill yourself retard, Elona is the pinacle of rogue-like.
>>
>>343494576
But thats not Telegltich!
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.