[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it wrong to fastforward in RPG's to grind quicker? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: ItadakiSlime.png (30 KB, 149x153) Image search: [Google]
ItadakiSlime.png
30 KB, 149x153
Is it wrong to fastforward in RPG's to grind quicker? I feel it's wrong because this is not how the game was intended to be played but at the same time, I don't want to spend an hour doing something I can do in only ten, plus it lets me progress a bit faster so I keep doing it.
>>
Man if you have to spend a major amount of time grinding for the main story in any RPG it's either shit or you're playing wrong
>>
You can play the game however you want. I actually enjoy grinding as it relaxes my mind. That being said, the types of games I like to play don't require grinding. I just grind to get ridiculous skills or all items. Your average FF or DQ game can be finished without any grinding.

Then on the flip side you have games like Disgaea. And I can't stand playing the game at all, let alone grinding to level 9999.
>>
Playing DQ1 (SNES) right now and been fast forwarding it. But DQ1 and 2 has tons of grinding and by the end of the NES and start of the SNES Japan kind of got a good understanding of level balancing. I mean there are games like Earthbound where you kind of need a few levels at the start before tackling the first boss but once you past the first hurtle most JRPG tends to be smooth sailing in terms of level balancing.
>>
>>343491981

Earthbound is actually one of those few games where you have to stop and grind more than once. It plays quite a bit like Dragon Quest II. Even similar EXP rates and skills.
>>
>>343490947
Dragon Quest IV makes you start over at lvl 1 several times and it basically requires you to grind for an hour before moving on each time.
>>
>>343492606
Are you kinding me? Earthbound is piss easy. Other then for frank I never grinded once beyond that point in eight playthoughes. Earthbound is many things, including my favorite game ever made, but grind heavy is not one of them. Where did you need to grind other then my instince?
>>
>>343492606
The only time I needed to grind is at the start before Frank and I guess when you first get Paula but she has the Teddy Bear so she's completely safe as you blaze through everything to rest up. And by the time you rest up she gain tons of levels and has enough PP to fuck over everything in her wake. Jeff does his own thing and you level need to grind for him. And Poo is just given levels.

So I can't imagine a time in the game outside the first boss fight where you needed to actually grind.
>>
>>343492865

You probably are looking back after knowing what you need to do. But someone who is playing for the first time and just rushing from one town to the next is probably going to run into areas where they are underleveled. But this is also why Earthbound is like Dragon Quest. You aren't suppose to just rush to the next story event. You're suppose to explore every area, talk to every NPC, etc.

Most of the issues in Earthbound come from not talking to NPCs. Such as waiting at the waterfall or not knowing about the Fly Honey. But even as experienced as I am in RPGs, I still had to stop and level a little when entering the third city.
>>
I don't mind using fast forward. Ilder gamrs don't always let you skip animations and if the encounter rate ia high jt can be a pain in the ass.
>>
thats why I say most JRPGs would be better games if they went full action rpg

The traditional model is outdated and wastes valuable time
>>
File: Necromancer_D2.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer_D2.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
>>343494142

Are you implying that making a turn based game into an ARPG will magically removing the grinding aspect? Have you even played ARPGs before?

That being said, some games would be better as an ARPG rather than turn based. Chief among those being La Pucelle.
>>
>>343492865
>Frank
I never needed to grind for Frank. I always challenge him at level 5-6 while stocked up on a few burgers as well. Now for the first cave though, I HAVE to grind because those mice are fucking faggots.
>>
>>343494883
>I never needed to grind for Frank. I always challenge him at level 5-6
So you did grind.
>>
>>343490860
There's nothing wrong with using fastforward, but if you are grinding in a JRPG you are most likely doing something wrong. Most JRPGs are fun when you don't grind, as they require you to use various strategies to win. If you grind you can win effortlessly but that's boring (as is grinding).

Either that or you're playing a shitty JRPG with awful balance.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.