[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think this is my last Souls game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: Dark Souls III.jpg (220 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls III.jpg
220 KB, 1200x650
I'm just not having fun anymore. I haven't been for a long time.

After the huge letdown of Dark Souls II I was banking so hard on this game being a proper return to form. But this game doesn't feel at all like the game I fell in love with. Rather than return to the slow, methodical gameplay of the series' origin they incorporated the fast, hectic gameplay of Bloodborne. Almost every enemy is blindingly fast, with attacks that range from incredibly difficult to impossible to reaction parry. They have 4 or 5 or even 6 hit combos. They are relentless in chasing you down and every enemy can completely decimate your health. This isn't fun to me. Speedy, spammy gameplay isn't why I fell in love with Dark Souls. It was the slow, calculated nature of it. Almost every enemy had readable windups and plenty of recovery frames. Combos usually didn't exceed 2 or 3 hits. Enough to punish you, but not to completely decimate you (with a few exceptions). Dark Souls was about paying attention, attacking and counterattacking, like a dance. There was a finesse to it. Dark Souls III, like Bloodborne, is about spam. This is honestly the worst I've ever seen the series. And it's a shame, because the music is great. The environments are great, if not a little dull due to the overuse of a Bloodborne-esque palette. The setup is interesting, and it's characters are infinitely better than Dark Souls II. But it's just not fun to play. The PvE isn't fun.

And don't even get me started on the PvP. All this game needs are guns and it's exactly like Bloodborne. It's just rolling and R1, with no variety. Grab a fast, hard hitting weapon, no thought required. No skill, no technique. The first game had it's problems with backstabs being so powerful, but that was nothing compared to this. (Cont.)
>>
(cont.) And then you have invader health penalties, prioritizing ganks, locking out solo hosts once invaded, half estus, the inability to effectively punish healing, everything is set against the invader. I don't want to hear another damn word out of PvE player's mouths about invasions being unfair and one-sided. Ever since this series started gaining popularity the developers have been making it harder and harder to invade, to the point where one wonders why they should even bother? It's such an uphill battle, it's been clear since Dark Souls II that the goal of each new release is to do away with invasions and have arranged duels or arenas the way to PvP. They outright ignored PVP in Bloodborne, throwing it in haphazardly at the end of production, and Dark Souls III's lackluster covenants aren't much better. But the PvE crowd keeps whining with each new release about how unfair it is they get invaded. Random invasions is what made this game GREAT. The threat of someone coming in to kill you at any time, anywhere, is what kept the game feeling fresh. No matter how many times I ran through Dark Souls it never felt stale, thanks in large part to that very mechanic. Without the invasion mechanic, without the community that has spawned up around PvP, the Souls games would only be above average RPGs, nothing more. You would see the soul of this series ripped out to make it "easier". And it seems Fromsoft is all too willing to oblige you. Whether by their own design or increasing pressure from Bandai Namco, this series has taken an increasing amount of wrong turns as it's gone on, I suspect all of which are to try and draw in new players. After all it was with the increased popularity of Souls and the release of Dark Souls II that the infamous Souls difficulty began to be incorporated into their marketing. In the bid to make the game more challenging it seems all they've really done is make the games more unfair. (cont.)
>>
(cont.) This isn't what I wanted. This isn't what I want to play. This isn't what Dark Souls is supposed to be. And I'm just not having fun anymore. I think it's time for me to say goodbye to this series and community. It's changed too much. And I just don't have faith in Fromsoft to make the right game next time. Not anymore.

It's been swell.
>>
File: 1466904531702.jpg (395 KB, 960x530) Image search: [Google]
1466904531702.jpg
395 KB, 960x530
Blah blah blah I'm jaded: the thread

Post your

>favorite boss
>favorite boss weapon
>favorite weapon art
>favorite area

It doesn't even have to be DS3. All Soulsborne games are welcome!
>>
Nobody cares faggot
>>
>>343466354
DS3 is shit. That's why Miyasaki said it will be the last. The DLC will probably be in charge of the D-Team since he is in charge of three new different titles.
>>
>"DaS is slow"
>"I used a shield and midrolled"
>>
>>343466354
>I think this is my last Souls game

It's the last souls in general. Take your blog and kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 333x151) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 333x151
Can someone please tell me how to infuse this weapon to do good damage? It does so little compare to Black Knight Greatsword
I have 40 of str if that helps
>>
>>343466570
>Ludwig the accursed
>Moonlight greatsword
>Abyss watchers sword
>Upper cathedral ward
>>
>>343466354
>Rather than return to the slow, methodical gameplay of the series' origin they incorporated the fast, hectic gameplay of Bloodborne.

But that's a good thing. I like Demon Souls more because it's faster.

Rather, Dark Souls 1 is the outlier. Most of the series has been really fast.
>>
File: ConfuzLucio.jpg (76 KB, 740x531) Image search: [Google]
ConfuzLucio.jpg
76 KB, 740x531
But this IS the last Souls game you shit
>>
>D-DS3 IS TOO FAST YOU HAVE TO USE FAST WEAPONS TO DO WELL! IT'S JUST LIKE BLOODBORNE!
>stomp the entire game and a bunch of people in PvP with Vordt/Smough hammers and the Profaned Greatsword by attacking when I see an opening (which there are lots of, even in bosses like Pontiff) just like in old souls

You're a shitter desu it's not the game's fault
>>
no one gives a shit about your cries anon, if you didn't liked the game then move the fucking on and shut up about it
>>
>Miyazaki is great, Fromsoft is great, DkSIII is flawelesss, git gud reeeeeeeee

I expected no less. What a shame.
>>
File: 1418502734750.jpg (34 KB, 461x403) Image search: [Google]
1418502734750.jpg
34 KB, 461x403
>>343466354
i was honestly in the same boat as you OP but the opposite. DaS2 was a severe let down and BB just didnt do anything for me. DaS 3 is what actually got me back in after a friend let me try it. i originally had zero plans on getting a copy of DaS3 until then
>>
>>343466354

dude, the environment is gives off a strong "nothing special" vibe
you dont need to sugar coat your truthfull criticisms

but im going to take another step ahead and be even more truthful with you

souls has always been a meme

the gameplay has always been medicore and stale
>>
>>343467030
This.

It's also horseshit that people complain about recent games being too fast when all the bosses people actually liked in DaS1, like Artorias were fast gap closer ninja flip types and all the shitty garbage bosses everyone hates were slow ass piss easy bulky guys
>>
File: zkbYX1P.gif (184 KB, 960x512) Image search: [Google]
zkbYX1P.gif
184 KB, 960x512
>>343466570
>Gehrman the First Hunter / Dancer of the Boreal Valley
>Dancer's Swords
>Wolf Knight Greatsword
>Lothric Castle / Grand Archives
>>
>>343467250
No one is saying DS3 is perfect. We're saying we don't give a shit about your petty blog.
Go do better things with your life.
>>
>>343467446

Demon's Souls was one of the faster games, but it wasn't like Bloodborne or Dark Souls III. And as far as the speedier bosses like Artorias, again, no where near the speed of some of Dark Souls III's bosses. In fact the only boss who really bears any similarity to the style of the newer games is Manus. Even then, it's only his one wombo combo which has a very obvious tell to it. Not like Dark Souls III.
>>
>>343467737

Sure you do. That's why you commented.

I plan on it. Hence, giving up on a series that I'm not deriving fun from any longer.
>>
Bloodborne is the best in the series and DaS3 is second best largely due to the cues it took from BB.
>>
>>343466948
hollow
>>
I'm actually quite fond of Bloodborne for the record and I'd love to see a sequel, I'm not opposed to speedier gameplay. But it doesn't mesh well with the type of game Dark Souls is supposed to be.
>>
It's my last Souls game too.

Mostly because it's the last one you colossal fucking faggot
>>
>>343466354
>it wuz 2 hard
>not exactly like DS1
>gaem bad...

Why waste time writing all of that?
>>
>>343468338

It may be the last one in name but it certainly won't be the last one in spirit. Like Bloodborne, there will be other games the studio produces that draw from the same basic formula. We'll certainly see another game that's very similar to Souls in the future.
>>
>>343468338
They'll milk the souls style somehow. Not even OP but if you think they wont make another souls or souls like while they can cash in on goys with shit taste you got another thing comin.
>>
>>343468049
>Sure you do
That isn't how it works faggot.
>>
>>343468049
You can take your entire rant and replace the word souls with mustard and that's how meaningless your rant is.
>>
>>343466354
subscribed ;)
>>
>>343468640

Lol that's exactly how it works.
>>
File: oUssHYR[1].gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
oUssHYR[1].gif
1 MB, 200x200
For a second there I thought this was lifted off Autistic Name Bro's DS3 review.

>muh miyazaki-sama
>muh I wanted to live in the world of DaS
>>
>>343466354
I agree that DaS2 was pretty bad, however I love DaS3 a lot. Enemies are fast, and it's annoying as fuck. However, you can still play slow if you wish.

I just entered NG++ and I have 99 vit, 55 str. I wear full havels armour, havels shield, and a hugeass slow weapon, and can still midroll. I go through the game just fine, though the bosses I have trouble with are very very different from the bosses my friends get beaten by as they play pure yolo dex-dodging characters.

>Random invasions is what made this game GREAT.
Subjective. I have been playing since the day DeS came out in north america, and have always accepted that PvP was there. I have never gone offline or killed myself on purpose to avoid possibility of invasions, but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in them. PvP is IMO the worst part of the series. It barely works because FROM can't balance anything for shit and hitboxes are basically just made up on the fly.

However it does make for a good risk for the additional health/ability to summon so I think invasions should stay.

What I really want FROM to change is the fact that the camera/lockon and control issues still exist. Command buffering is always shit and should go. Blocking attacks should not eat inputs. The fucking camera is absolutely fucked (Nameless King first phase is obnoxious). Hitboxes have always been extremely wonkey. Balance is negligible. Fuck fix your shit FROM. Stop "nerfing" stuff that doesn't need nerfs while ignoring the fact that dogs can borderline teleport and many boss weapons are essentially useless.
>>
>>343466948
you ought to use a Greataxe, believe me, far superior
>>
Should have had a boss rush mode since that's the only aspect that's actually good besides presentation-related stuff like graphics and music.
>>
>>343466354
as someone that started playing dark souls and ds3 about the time ds3 came out i have to say that 3 is too easy. i just infused my longsword with fire and went to finish the game in 2 weeks.
then started with deprived cause i wanted to try strength only and it was a bit harder.
i have to say dark souls feels better darker slower and just cause the weapon moves feel more realistic to me than 3.
i might be wrong but this is my opinion as a newbie.
>>
>>343466419

The fact that 95% of all invasions are a 4 vs 1 situation is what really made it boring for me. Your choices for PvP are:

>Invade and get R1 spammed to death with two of the dudes using fast weapons, and the other two using un-parriable big weapons so you can't even rely on that. Dividing the group doesn't work because dedicated gank squads kill all enemies beforehand or just one-shot them anyway, so they are useless as "help". You have to wait for a "backup" invader, and guess what? Other invaders also team up with a host and his buddies to fucking 5 V 1 people.

Or

>Duel at Pontiff's. Duels get repetitive real quick due to the people that treat Souls games like fighting games, picking a "meta weapon" to always get a victory, or try really hard to. You'll get bored of katanas and longswords, or twin curved swords doing the same damage as an ultra greatsword but with way less effort or thought put into throwing the attacks out there.

I recently found out there are fucking 1v1 tournaments for this fucking dueling shit. TOURNAMENTS. People are legitimately treating the PvP as a fighting game. I personally don't want to attach myself to these tryhard idiots, but I can't do random invasions either because I'll just get killed over and over again in 4 v 1. I'm glad FromSoft is done with the series, or at least Miyazaki is.

In that sense, I understand what you're feeling. It's incredibly disappointing to admit all of these things, because this was supposed to be the last one, and it was supposed to be good. They never learn from their mistakes, it seems. Or at least Miyazaki doesn't, or just doesn't care.
>>
>>343466948

This huge STR-looking sword is actually NOT A STRENGTH WEAPON AT ALL! YAAAAY FOR MIYAZAKI! It's actually better to use on a quality build. Like another anon said, use the Greataxe if you want pure STR.

Why is it like this? FUCK you, that's why.
>>
>>343469992

I honestly would rather go back to Dark Souls II at this point. More enjoyable PvP, PVE where at least it isn't a spammy wombo combo fest from the enemies, great fashion. It's a damn shame indeed that this is the last entry in the series. What a note to go out on.
>>
>>343470297
Scaling is completely fucked in DaS3 on every level. Weapons almost never scale better than C at max rank unless infused for that particular stat, and even then it's rare to see A or S rank scaling.

And boss/special weapons can't be infused regardless but FROM never bothered to give them better scaling, making them useless. Stupid as fuck.
>>
File: 1463557019263.png (318 KB, 496x559) Image search: [Google]
1463557019263.png
318 KB, 496x559
>>343466354
I feel the same way honestly. One of the funnest weapons, the zweihander went from an infamous albeit simple deathbringer in ds1 to a dead meme in DS2 and the corpse only festered further in 3. Alot of other older things (poise, quality builds, fair invasions, non-limiting stamina) were also removed in 2, and only one of those things made it back in 3. Now quality is the ONLY type of build. And maybe it was because I couldn't run DS3 for shit, but all the bosses were irritatingly fast. It felt more like DMC than DS, which would be fine if the player controls were as fluid and reactive as the ones in DMC, but controls have NEVER been a selling point of the series. They do their job and that's about it, and having to fight action game bosses with RPG controls is more of a chore than a challenge. DS1 had almost tank-like controls, but this was fine because the enemies also moved and fought like tanks. DS2 strayed from this, keeping the tank controls for the player while making the enemies more fluid. DS3 is 90% fast paced bloodborne enemies with slightly better dark souls controls. The only boss in DS3 that I was able to say "yeah, this feels like a dark souls 1 boss" was vordt. The rest of them I just could not be assed to fight on my own, because most felt cheap with their minimal tells and street fighter combos. Normally I would've rammed my head against that boss fight brick wall again and again until it broke, but I was simply bored of these enemies that I was supposed to be looking forward to. I just wanted to get done with them ASAP so I could see other things.

It's obvious they don't care about older fans and just want to "innovate for the newer generations" or whatever the fuck they teach in marketing. Their target audience will never be "the people who played ds1" because ds1 was never meant to be a AAA title like they shit out now. Souls got too popular for its own good and all the people who made it popular got fucked for it in the end.
>>
>>343466354
Nice blog fagtron

Subbed ;)
>>
>>343471584

>It's obvious they don't care about older fans and just want to "innovate for the newer generations" or whatever the fuck they teach in marketing. Their target audience will never be "the people who played ds1" because ds1 was never meant to be a AAA title like they shit out now. Souls got too popular for its own good and all the people who made it popular got fucked for it in the end.

This.
>>
DaS > DaS II > BB > DeS > DaS3
>>
>>343466354
4chan isn't your blog. Fuck off.
>>
File: W5VT9Nb.jpg (109 KB, 535x608) Image search: [Google]
W5VT9Nb.jpg
109 KB, 535x608
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.