[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wii was a revolution in human machine interfaces.. Similar in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: nintendo-revolution-4.jpg (52 KB, 400x379) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-revolution-4.jpg
52 KB, 400x379
Wii was a revolution in human machine interfaces.. Similar in the way Nintendo had invented the d-pad and the analog stick, I had supposed Nintendo had successfully ushered in a new age in which every competitor would soon have a gesture sensitive device included in every console.

So why hasn't motion controls become the default user-machine interface solution for the entire electronic gaming industry?

What happened?
>>
>>343464420
It's gonna have to be implemented in VR at some point or another. VR with just an Xbox Controller is pretty damn pointless and adds nothing but immersion to the experience. I know, I tried an Occulus Rift. VR is just as gimmicky as motion controls are. The two work like butter and jam tho.
>>
It was always a dumb gimmick. Barely any games used it in a way that a controllee couldn't have done. The only reason other companies followed suit is because the Wii was a massive commercial success and they wanted to get some of the motion control meme magic.

It might work well with VR. Though, VR's just the hot new hardware meme that will probably be forgotten about next generation.
>>
Motion controls are stupid when they're not 1:1, and don't mimic actual movement.

With a controller, you press forward to move forward.
Some games with motion controls decided it would be a good idea to change this, and make it so waggling both controllers up and down like you're running is how you move forward.

That type of motioncontrol interface is a gimmick.
But true, 1:1, motion controls are only just starting to gain traction because of VR.

Any and all interfaces that complicate interaction are gimmicks, any and all interfaces that sensibly integrate motion controls should be accepted. That's why dance games made the most sense with the kinect. It's a dancing game, so you dance to play it.
>>
First wave of Wiimote wasn't 1:1.

Wiimote Plus came too late into development for developers to make use of it.

Tablets became a larger market towards end of the Wii and Nintendo wanted to jump in on that market.

Too little too late and the cost of their tablet controller vs other tablet makers was already insanely high for what you get.

Since marketing failed to distinguish Wii U from Wii, you get people who thought Wii U was a tablet on its own and decided not to buy into it.

Curious since Miyamoto said the new gimmick opponents might copy means we're not getting a hybrid platform but something that reinvents the wheel again.
>>
>>343464420
>Wii was a revolution in human machine interfaces..
You point it at the screen to move a cursor. It's a fucking mouse for consoles. A shitty one, at that.
>>
Nintendo didn't invent the d-pad or analog stick.
>>
>>343464420
Also, those weren't motion controls. Those were cheap hardwares performing parlor tricks to give the impression of "motion controls" to plebs.
>>
>>343468071
u sure there bruv
>>
File: atari2600joystick.jpg (9 KB, 300x310) Image search: [Google]
atari2600joystick.jpg
9 KB, 300x310
>>343468714
>>
>>343464420
The fucking dpad was invented because it was easy to pack in a box.
>>
>>343464420
The Wii? Shit, that controller up in there looks like a dildo. I don't want to play my games with no dildo.
Maybe if it were like, Warioware: Shove it up your own ass game.
>>
>>343464420
The games were pretty enjoyable and the motion controls weren't so bad if you had a decent set up. Even more enjoyable since it can be fully modded.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.