[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Climbing in Breath of the Wild had me thinking. Why don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 1465789715726.jpg (509 KB, 3028x1384) Image search: [Google]
1465789715726.jpg
509 KB, 3028x1384
Climbing in Breath of the Wild had me thinking.

Why don't you see limitless mantling/climbing in other titles? There's stuff like Just Cause where you can grappling hook to everything at will, but often you're restricted to designated climbing paths like ropes or just rocky terrain with convenient ledges to Prince of Persia on. Or you just awkwardly hop up things like pretty much any Bethesda title.

But stuff like how in Zelda you can climb up pretty much any surface is rare.

It just seems odd in retrospect, considering none of these games put as much emphasis on level design as Zelda, where the ability to restrict how and where the player can move is fundamental to dungeon and puzzle design.
>>
It is odd. Write off Bethesda for being fucking pathetic and using an ancient engine for all time that can barely handle what they throw at it.

What about say, GTA. Climbing is strangely absent there.
>>
Because being able to climb up any surface is kinda retarded?
>>
>>343451409
>Why don't you see limitless mantling/climbing in other titles?
Dont know but BotW is doing it so other games will be influenced by it.
>>
>>343451553
Well, with GTA, it kind of makes sense. Their heroes aren't exactly spry AssCreed-tier athletes. Johnny Klebitz walked with a limp.

Plus outside of the San Andreas setting, not too many places to really go nuts with climbing due to lack of mountains and mostly just being an urban setting.

To that end, future Red Dead titles would be good for it.
>>
File: 8994_8fe5.jpg (42 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
8994_8fe5.jpg
42 KB, 500x383
>>343452010
>>
>>343452219
I don't know there's like, paragliding and skydiving and jumping sport bikes through modern art while drug running, but climbing a mountain is too far?
>>
>>343451409
Breath of the Wild climbing is a bit weird. Link just glues himself to surfaces like Spiderman.
>>
>>343452331
>>343452659

Exactly. Link is a super human and the climbing is not exactly realistic even in the slightest. It is probably even LESS realistic than Ass Creed climbing since Link just grapples a wall and no real hand or foot holds without any climbing equipment.
>>
>>343451409
Because then it looks like shit when you have a nice character model interacting with a shittily textured generic mountainside.
>>
I blame contextual controls that come from obsolete controllers. Some games you can't even jump unless prompted.
>>
>>343451409
I seem to remember that the old super-sandbox games like Prototype and Crackdown had limitless climbing like that.

I guess most games with climbing want to use the climbing as a puzzle (or to pad the runtime) rather than as a way to get around.
>>
>>343451409
because developers don't care about making good games.
>>
>>343451409
People don't like holding up if done badly. It still has to be interesting. It has to add to the gameplay, so the design has to go with it. Unlike real climbing, it's boring in games.

Maybe they implement it well here. Then it will be copied. But for now you just see, not play.
>>
File: 1457765495056.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457765495056.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>343453225
>Prototype and Crackdown, games that came out in the 7th console generation, are now considered old
>>
>>343451409

Climbing is boring and slow and almost never has any challenge to it.

All games where climbing mountains is fun have no actual climbing mechanic. See: Xenoblade X.
>>
>>343451409
>Why don't you see limitless mantling/climbing in other titles?
>he didn't play Skyrim

took an arrow to the brain m8?
>>
File: fxHTcdD.jpg (337 KB, 1200x879) Image search: [Google]
fxHTcdD.jpg
337 KB, 1200x879
>>343451409
Too much work, could result in some game-breaking bugs if players climb out of the map, also more difficult to make map boundaries.

Or other game devs simply concluded that climbing would be too boring and too time-consuming for the average braindead audience. Which it probably is. I can see Nintendo refusing to admit such, padding and tutorial sections have only gotten worse in most Zelda games over the years, for example. I know I would've preferred parkour over something like this.

>>343452659
Link does a lot of crazy shit, honestly.
He shouldn't be able to carry and freely swing this weapon, for example. But he did.

It's more or less just a case of Nintendo being lazy, but if you're a lorefag you can just blame his superhuman powers on the Triforce of Courage or him being the chosen hero of the gods or whatever.
>>
>>343453541
Crackdown is almost ten years old.
>>
>>343454524
TP Link was just naturally Herculean from wrestling fucking goats and shit. Most Links are just little kids or wayward teens that grab a sword for the first time the day they start their adventure.

It's only recently that we've had Links with conditioning backgrounds like the farm or the knight academy.
>>
>>343454979
>Most Links are just little kids or wayward teens that grab a sword for the first time the day they start their adventure.

Yeah and they manage to be surprisingly competent at it.

Same reason why Zelda has the lightforce and Ganondorf is an exceptionally competent magic user - they're just born with it thanks to the cycle-curse or whatever.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.