[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hard JRPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Weapon_clerk_ps2.png (6 KB, 360x385) Image search: [Google]
Weapon_clerk_ps2.png
6 KB, 360x385
Looking for a JRPG that is hard because of complex mechanics and not because the bosses are way above your level, and you just farm so "solve them"
Bonus points for great story

Pic not related
>>
>>343411274
You can try Lost Odyssey on the 360. It fits your bill of requirements for the first few boss fights, but the game does get easier as it goes on. There's no real grinding in the game, you gain a ton of exp until you reach the recommended level for the area you're in, then you get almost none for every encounter after it, until the next area where you don't have the recommended level.
>>
Langrisser maybe
>>
>>343411274
while the first isn't exactly tough the M&L series fights are won with skill and not leveling up to beat them.
>>
Some MegaTen or The Last Remnant.
>>
>>343412030
>megaten
But you have to grind for demons to fuse to get the right skills to win boss battles.
>>
Vandal Hearts can be hard if you choose wrong classes. Even then some spots are tough. No grinding either.
>>
>>343412030
Never played megaten.
I donĀ“t own any console, only pc, where should I start?
>>
File: 1464465721415.png (1 MB, 1456x2348) Image search: [Google]
1464465721415.png
1 MB, 1456x2348
>>343411274
Do care if it's turn-based or real-time? If you're fine with real-time, try the Ys games. The ones built on the 6 engine (6, Oath in Felghana, Origin) in particular are challenging and great fun.

>>343412030
>>343412327
You dont' really have to grind much in megaten, the essential skills are available near enough to the start. The early games are mechanially broken though, and the difficulty is kind of all over the place.

Also, some of the bosses are an RNG nightmare. Fucking Mot, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM
>>
>>343412327
The only megaten game where I had to grind was Nocturne and that was only for the TDE boss
>>
>>343411912
Sooo long since I played M&L series. May pick one up now that I have a 3ds.

>>343411595
hm are 360 emulators decent yet?
>>
>>343412751
If you have a i5 or better cpu, well decent 3+ghz dual core or better you can emulate ps2. Theres not a lot out on pc alone.
>>
File: kyknAti.jpg (730 KB, 1200x2363) Image search: [Google]
kyknAti.jpg
730 KB, 1200x2363
>>343412751
SMT3 or Persona 3 are always good starts. All of the games are emulatable - with the exception of 4 and 4 Apocalypse and the Devil Survivor rereleases.
>>
Dark Souls is a JRPG where you only grind if you're not good enough to win with stock gear/low level :^)
>>
>>343412945
to sum up the 3DS games
Dream Team is nicer overall but you may find the tutorials a bit annoying if you aren't used to them by now
Paper Jam's world design is a bit lacking in some places but does have a few areas that shine. its bosses are the absolute best and most challenging in the series though
>>
>>343412751
>PC only
That's going to limit you a bit for JRPGs, outside of good emulation. You can easily emulate SMT I and II, but those games are kind of mechanically fucked with really weird difficulty curves.

Noctune, Strange Journey and IV are pretty good places to start, so if you can emulate those, go for it.

Also, for >>343412924, all the 6 engine Ys games are on PC, so that should do you just fine if you want to try Ys. Probably a good idea to have a gamepad through.
>>
>>343413137
Already completed the 1st one looking to play II and III after finals. And dark souls is not JRPG is was developed by a japonese company. Also you can regulate the diffuculty as you want, by not farming, or playing different classes
>>
>>343411274
play wizardry instead
>>
Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, etc

entire genre of these games exists
>>
>>343412751
I'd go with emulating Nocturne.

>>343412327
You have to figure out the right skills and/or immunities instead of just grinding experience points for some +stats, so I feel like MegaTen fulfills OP's condition of "solving" the bosses.
>>
>>343413319
Those are all easy as shit.
>>
Last Remnant, but that's more of a bullshit.
>>
>>343411274
Pokemon, with a difficulty patch. The game gets really fun and challenging if you let people who aren't the retards at GameFreak design enemy teams.
>>
>>343413449
>mnant, but that's more of a bullshit.
heard the game was hardcore, the story sucked tough

>>343413542
what you mean by difficulty pach? I have played nuzlocks, and egglocks before dunno if you talking about those. Some hacked version to that I found harder than the original game
>>
>>343413709
Last Remnant is a game that actively punishes you for playing it. Might be up your alley.
>>
>>343413709
By hacked I versions I meant different games set in another region, different story
>>
>>343413709
Romhacks, such as Blaze Black and Volt White by Drayano.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.