[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about starting this game completely blind. What should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Baldur's_Gate_box.png (385 KB, 407x494) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's_Gate_box.png
385 KB, 407x494
Thinking about starting this game completely blind. What should I expect? Should I get the $7 Enhanced Edition or just find the original game somewhere? Also any general starting advice is appreciated
>>
BG1 should be played as a fighty type. Casters in low level D&D are suffering and you get a thief party member right away.
>>
>>343377541
>What should I expect?
Brutally unforgiving DnD mechanics and stellar writing. Expect a lot of freedom in regard to the way you act towards most characters, but to die a lot.

>Should I get the $7 Enhanced Edition or just find the original game somewhere?
Original game if you can. Even better would be to get both original games and use BGT or BGtutu to tie them together into one continuous epic RPG.
One guide for that:
http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/
(links for some mods are now broken but the important ones should still work iirc)

>Also any general starting advice is appreciated
For the first game, it's low level DnD, so classes like Fighter or Thief are much easier to play with than classes like Mage or Druid. Mages in particular get extremely few spells to work with at first so they'll just be slinging stones or throwing darts 90% of the time.

For Shadows of Amn, the easiest class kit imo is Undead Hunter because of their immunity to level drain, but most classes will start to be relevant a short way into that game, and the only really awful class is the Wizard Slayer.
>>
>Thinking about starting this game completely blind
>Asks questions about it so you're not going in blind

Hmmmmm
>>
>>343377541
The original is better with no shitty OC beamdog characters. Baldur's Gate games are good entry level CRPGs that are not too challenging or too brainless.
>>
If you're interested about continuity with BG2, canon BG1 party is you, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir.
>>
>>343377541
There is very little reason to play the original over the EE unless you want that nostalgic feel I guess. Better resolution, bugfixes, and just all around smoother gameplay.

>>343378671
>The original is better with no shitty OC beamdog characters
Why is this brought up so much? If you dislike the characters, just ignore them. Is it that hard?
>>
>>343378594

I tried DnD based crpg blind for the first time and start as an unoptimized monk with shitty feats in NWN. Not fun.
>>
>>343378872
Pure monks are always shitty in NWN tho
>>
>>343378840
>There is very little reason to play the original over the EE unless you want that nostalgic feel I guess.
The best custom mods.

>>343378594
Nah, it's fair enough for that anon to ask a few things. Starting BG1 as a Sorcerer or Druid will leave many feeling useless and bewildered.
>>
>>343378840
>if you don't like the shoehorned extra fanfic chapters in this book, just ignore them

Or he could simply play the game in its original state.
>>
Don't listen to the EE shills. You can get any improvement of the EE version without the idiocy by modding.
>>
>>343379402
You can always play the original. However, your own opinion of calling the added characters stupid shouldn't stop OP from playing it just because you dislike them.
>>
>>343377541
Gonna use your thread. To celebrate Brexit I want to play some proper games made by Lord British. Are there any proper mods out there or should I go in raw like the good old times ?
>>
>>343379548
There's literally no reason to go with the EE version if you discard the new content though.

Even if you want new characters, there are mods which do it much better. Mods you can't use with EE.
>>
>>343378840
Latest enhanced edition patch just broke the game. Bug fixes? It literally introduces bug fixes with every patch they shit out. Beamdog chars are shit, too
>>
Ayone got the fixpacks somewhere? The original source seems dead.
>>
>>343379583
>Are there any proper mods out there or should I go in raw like the good old times ?
ToBEx
Ascension
BG2Fixpack
BGT
BG1 NPC Project
BG1 Unfinished business
BG2 Banterpack
BG2 Unfinished Business
SCS (if you want the difficulty ramped up)
BGT Tweak Pack
BG2 Tweaks pack

Then any custom NPC, item pack, and graphic overhaul mods that take your fancy.
>>
>>343380246
I think he wants to play Ultima games though I'm not sure why he posts this request here.
>>
>>343377541
Last year I would have recommended the EE.
...but they fucking ruined it.
Just get the originals if possible.
>>
>>343380246
Thanks for the list, might play BG at some point again.
>>343380349
You're right, posted here for no particular reason. Figured that bg players have most likely played ultima too.
>>
>>343380176
>Anyone got the fixpacks somewhere?
Seems like gibberlings is down, so I just uploaded my copy of the BG2 fixpack. Hope that helps.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66489139248803683143
>>
>>343380246
That's the mod list I usually go with plus the Item Upgrade mod
>>
>>343380552
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>343380854
No worries! Happy to help someone get the most out of the best RPGs in existence.
>>
Just started an archer in BG2. Christ, the class is "95% to hit just about anything".
>>
>>343382290
I hope you go with short bows.
>>
>>343377541
>What should I expect
Fun mixed with some unforgiving bullshit

>Should I Enhanced
Yes. A lot of people in this thread are going to pretend they grew up with the game and that the enhanced edition "completely ruins it" but its fine. There are just some new quests and a fanfic character, all of which can be avoided.

>General starting advice
Make a Fighter and talk to everybody
>>
>>343382449
Don't worry, I spoiled myself by googling "bow with unlimited arrows" and it led me to shortbows.
>>
Its pretty good.

Don't expect the game to hold your hand, and get cure status ailments spells asap.
>>
>>343382608
That's not even the best bow though. You can find one pretty early in the game which gives you +1 attack per round.
>>
>>343377541
http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/
This takes a long ass time to set up but its pretty good as oppossed to dropping 14 bucks on the EEs, which recently put out a patch that broke a lot of stuff.
>>
>play ranger
>make a 96 stat roll so i have 17 wis
>melee gets boring
>cleric multiclass
>why the fuck not

And thus I totally destroyed the game.
>>
>>343383210
>takes a long ass time

Not if he uses the Big World Project. It downloads and installs mods automatically. Can't screw up with that.
>>
File: 899574-zero_large.jpg (12 KB, 300x325) Image search: [Google]
899574-zero_large.jpg
12 KB, 300x325
>>343377541
>Thinking about starting this game completely blind.
>What should I expect?
>>
>>343377541

Get the original. gog.com, you will get it drm free and can pass it to all ya homies when you get addicted.

Go with a fighter, go for ranged weapons. Learn what THACO is (To Hit Armor Class 0). BG uses the AD&D2 system so lower armor is better (and lower THACO is better). Personally I love the throwing darts build, you get so many attacks so you disrupt mages far more.

Q is quicksave, use it VERY often. You will die a lot
>>
>>343383786
Can't buy the original alone from GOG anymore. It is now packed as a bonus with the enhanced edition.

I would recommend OP to simply try the enhanced edition anyway for convenience, and look back later for mods on the original edition. BG1EE and BG2EE only. Stay away from Siege of Dragonspear.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.