[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys will argue over anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: ending depends on.png (37 KB, 1406x734) Image search: [Google]
ending depends on.png
37 KB, 1406x734
You guys will argue over anything
>>
>>343375643
(A) is objectively superior.
>>
>>343375643
Both.

How good you are should determine the extent of what your actions affect, and the moral options you choose should determine what those effects are.

That's the ideal, anyway.
>>
>>343375643
What about (c)

Do the optional side stuff
>>
What if the skill the game depends on is your moral reasoning?
>>
It depends on the story. A story about making choices wouldn't work with option A. A very linear game that is designed to only tell one story might work with option A, but not B. ie: there's more content at the end for beating the game on higher difficulties.
>>
>>343375643
As long as the ending is good, it shouldn't matter.
>>
How about option BD: the ending depends on how many times you play some dumb sequence over and over again.
>>
>>343375643
Moral choices are almost always shitty binary "decisions", so (A). The only interesting moral choice that is somewhat interesting is from Tormentum Dark Sorrow.
>>
File: emotionalSkill.png (42 KB, 504x550) Image search: [Google]
emotionalSkill.png
42 KB, 504x550
>>343376114
>>
File: DoomGuy.gif (400 KB, 488x519) Image search: [Google]
DoomGuy.gif
400 KB, 488x519
>>343376694
What the fuck is "emotional skill" anyway?
>>
A is for actual games
B is for interactive experiences

Ludo does both (MGS1)
>>
>>343376014
/thread
Shame it wasn't the first post.
>>
>>343376785
The ability to read and interpret emotions.
>>
>>343376785

>press X to cry about dead teammate
>if you don't, the game penalizes you in some way
>>
>>343375643
both are good dipshit, it all depends on the game. I like my Metroid where I'm rewarded by beating it as fast as possible, but I like options in RPGs like morrowind because it's more inmersive. They belong to different genres. (But they are not exclusive).
>>
>>343377080
Why would I need to read an interpret emotions when it will just boil down to "press one of four buttons for EMOTIONS"
>>
>>343376785
I'd imagine it being something like the conversation in Deus Ex: HR, depending more on appealing to people's beliefs and emotions instead of logic and reasoning, and without the augmentation that tells you what the best response is.
>>
>>343376785
In real life, basically >>343377080

In video games, hahahaha.
>>
A good game would do a mixture of A and B. Like say it's a shooter set in some war-torn country and the moral options are whether or not to rescue 10 random civillians caught in the crossfire. The "being good at the game" part comes in from keeping them alive until you get to an extraction point of some type and the "moral option" thing comes in from deciding to rescue them or not at all.
>>
(c) additional endings are new chapters where you can continue playing right where you left off, but with branching in what happened earlier

like drakengard 1 and 3
>>
You should be able to get almost every ending except one by moral or whichever choice, but the final, "true" ending should be skill based.

If at least one of the regular endings is skill-based and the final ending requires you to collect every ending, that is also acceptable.
>>
>>343375643
Both, obviously.

>"Good choice" is slightly harder than "bad choice"
>"Best choice" is extremely hard and requires something like "Oh you can't save them both you have to choose" but you use your skill to save both anyways, like Spiderman
>>
>>343375643

(A) basically has you create a morality in order to achieve the best ending. To articulate what's good and bad for you in the game is to create that morality, and at best it's pretty fun and interesting.

(B) typically railroads you into a swampy, simplistic conception of morality, doling out rewards based on some video game writer's conception of "good and bad". "Good options" are also further constrained to cause "good effects", so stories end up following a pretty low-level cause and effect, where your good and evil options actually can't behave so unpredictably.

>>343376114
Moral reasoning is just your capacity to create a "moral code" to follow. The faster you do this in-game, the sooner you're able to decide "ok, now I know to not attack after the enemy does THAT animation". This is basically a moral code, as far as it benefits and preserves your health in-game.

So yeah, moral reasoning is a skill rewarded by all games. A lot of games just shove a bunch of low-level good vs evil shit into it is all.
>>
>>343378197
I think the "moral choice" designation in the OP was probably a mistake. What it probably meant was "Do A or B" systems rather than the specific "Do good thing that is objectively better for the game or do the very limiting evil thing" system the phrase "moral choice" tends to bring to mind.
>>
Fable did both really well.
>>
>>343378480
>any Fable game
>implying the skill ceiling isn't hilariously low
>>
>>343376785
Manipulation.

Women want games about what they're the best at.
>>
Why not both?
>there are endings that depend on your gameplay choices
>but there are also endings based on completing optional harder content or side objectives, like not using a particular skill or spell
>>
>>343378452

You're probably right, and I figured that too. But hey, it served as an excuse to think and then write some junk about morals.

I like the Do A or B stuff especially when the "moral choice" fluff nowhere near it. That's when it can suddenly be "skill based", rather than "relentlessly conform to a code" based.

The best moment I had with this was in Witcher 2, when it gave 10 seconds to decide to go with Iorveth or Roche. Even if either choice promised no clear outcome (they'd be boring if they did), you couldn't help but consider the different resources each character had at their disposal in the midst of that quick decision... unless I am mis-remembering everything.
>>
>>343375643
I like Yahtzee's take on morality: if you're gonna have the option to be bad or good, it should be a challenge to be one or the other. For example, Bioshock would've been ten times better if saving the girls meant you got nothing from them because then your decision carried a consequence instead of just being a prerequisite getting for Ending A or B. Then what you get in the end is more meaningful.
>>
>>343377080
I would add that it's also the ability to sit with your emotions without (over)reacting to them.
>>
>>343376694

These people want to start an Age of Dark
>>
>>343375643
If only one, then A. If not limited, then both, with preference of A still.
>>
A mix and match of the two is the best
>Ending A - Unlocked by siding with the good guys, you save the Kingdom
>Ending B - Unlocked by siding with the bad guys, you destroy the Kingdom
>Ending C - Unlocked by defeating the bonus boss in the optional dungeon that's harder than the final boss, you take over the Kingdom and everyone is in awe of your overwhelming power
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.