[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /v/ I'm 35 years old and I have never played a video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 22
File: Pikachu.jpg (43 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu.jpg
43 KB, 720x720
Hello /v/

I'm 35 years old and I have never played a video game in my entire life. I'd love to start getting into them, but there's just so many of them! Where should I even start?
>>
>>343372515
tetris
>>
bloodborne
>>
File: 1114325423523.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1114325423523.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
You can start by scrubbing all the floors in hyrule!
>>
Super Mario Bros.
>>
File: 500.jpg (52 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
500.jpg
52 KB, 500x313
Shovel Knight
>>
>>343372515
Maiden Rape Assault: Violent Semen Inferno
>>
>>343372664
What's the cheapest way to play it? It looks like there's a lot of different game consoles to play it on.

>>343372713
So I need to buy a Play station 4 to play it? Is it worth getting one of those? Are there a lot of other games on there I should play? I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I don't even know if I like gaming.
>>
>riding d.c. metro
good luck pika
>>
>>343372945
google tetris
click on the first link
>>
>>343372515
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/
>>
>>343372945
>I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I don't even know if I like gaming.

Go all the way, even if you hate it. You don't want to be a casual, do you?
>>
>>343372515
Out of curiosity,what have you been doing up to this point?
>>
Undertale is the only game you need
>>
>>343373463
I like movies and tv series. Occasionally read books. I just want something new, something to break the monotony
>>
>>343373809
Ah,ok
>>
>>343372515
there's a Steam sale going on right now
>>
>>343372515
Do you know what themes interest you? Do you have any particular interests for gaming? Such as shooting or managing armies? Shooting games for instance are probably the hardest for people who have never played vidya before as it requires more hand eye coordination than other genres.
>>
>>343373809
There are many different types of games for different kinds of people. If you like big stories and flavour text there's stuff like Mass Effect or Fallout, and if you don't like shooting there's a truckload of point-and-click adventures such as Machinarium or Deponia to try, where the challenge lies in solving puzzles.
>>
>>343374103
The laptop I'm using isn't particularly fast, so I don't know if it will run many games.

>>343374205
Anything, really. I don't even know what the full spectrum of game genres are.
>>
Try 'Cities: Skylines', it's a city building game.
>>
Really interesting situation OP. You could always start with the classics, like Super Mario Bros. (I guess you'd need to look into SNES emulation but it's really simple and you can do it on a laptop). Tetris too is a lot of people's first videogame and it holds up. The appeal of both of these is in the gameplay, but you might like something more story driven. Another anon mentioned point and click adventures, which might be good for this, but I don't know anything about the genre and I couldn't give any recommendations. There's also so many great games and entire genres that you can get into once you have a grounding in videogames, but would probably betoo hard on an absolute beginner
>>
Bloodborne and I'm not even joking.

I was 24 last year and Bloodborne was my introduction to current gen gaming, had I started on anything else I would've turned out to be a casual or a much different person today.
>>
Start with Chrono Trigger
>>
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory if you want to try stealth games. Game is over a decade old and seems well optimized, should run on your toaster laptop.
>>
File: 1458505149529.jpg (1 MB, 1314x921) Image search: [Google]
1458505149529.jpg
1 MB, 1314x921
>>343372515
Megaman Battle Network 2
>>
>>343374536
Well, if you list off some movies or tv shows that you like, maybe we could recommend games that have a similar feel/setting. If you're worried about your computer not being able to run most games, I guess it's a safe bet to stick with old games, since those wouldn't be too demanding for your system.
>>
>>343372515
>SNES emulation
that's a great idea
>>
>>343374536
>I don't even know what the full spectrum of game genres are.
Ok, start researching from the late 70s Pong era. That would be Pong and Brick Break/Arkanoid, mainly. Then we move onto the 80s Japanese arcade era which is space invaders, donkey kong, dig dug etc. Then the NES, just google top NES games or something. Then repeat with the Genesis/SNES and subsequent console generations. Arcade ports tend to be very good but died out after gen 6. PC-wise you've got adventure games which are mainly Lucasarts games, and the last of the good ones were made in the early 00s. Then there are CRPGs (computer RPGs), RTS, (real-time strategy) ARPGs (action RPGs), simulators of various kinds (flight driving etc) and FPS (first-person shooters) ruding out the PC side of things.

Have fun.
>>
>>343372515
Emulate some pokemon games
>>
You could try 'Shovel Knight', which is a newish game that borrows heavily from games from the 80s. It encompasses a lot of what people loved from that era and is really charming. You can get it on Steam (should run on a laptop, Steam have a refund policy so you can try it and see if it works).
>>
>>343372515
Honestly just try some classic stuff, it's hard to say what genre of stuff you'll like if you've never played a game.

Try Super Mario Bros. or Mega Man 2 on NES for starters, they're easy enough to get into if you want something action-y. Or Tetris, unironically. Just look for an NES emulator and some ROM's, NES should run on even the most potato computers. From 10 years ago.
>>
May as well just cut out the middleman and start with ASCII Dorf Fort
>>
Play SNES classics and branch out from there.
>>
Here's something easy and free that should take 15 minutes tops to beat
http://askiisoft.com/games/tower-of-heaven/
>>
>>343375246
>SNES
My mistake, I meant NES
>>
Bump for interest
>>
File: 1467351173001.gif (866 KB, 352x224) Image search: [Google]
1467351173001.gif
866 KB, 352x224
Read the /v/s recommended wiki. Check out older consoles and emulate them, or play some games that will run on your toaster pc
>>
Emulate some games on the NES/SNES and Genesis to start. Not even a "You should start with the same games I did" kind of thing, but they'll probably be easier to grasp if you've never played a game in your life than more modern stuff.
>>
Thanks guys. Tetris was cool, but I'm awful at it. I only got about 3 lines filled up before they all came to the top of the screen.

I've started reading on some of the older games but again, I don't really have a frame of reference for anything outside of Tetris, so I think the best thing to do would be just dive straight in. Are there any other free games that you guys can recommend?

I'll make a Steam account soon and have a look around for some games that look a bit older. Is there a way to tell if my laptop can run it before I buy it?
>>
File: 1466870241121.gif (1 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1466870241121.gif
1 MB, 245x245
Once you get your vidya going on, I'd like to mention something most people don't get about video games anymore: if you don't understand what to do don't give up. Mash buttons. Try this, try that. Most new gamers don't think to try stuff, and instead shit on games because they're too dumb to see what pressing a does, and figuring out what to do after doing this etc.
Try out some nes games first, or even Atari. For NES I recommend trying final fantasy or Earthbound Zero for RPGs, tetris for a puzzle game, and Mario bros 3 for a platformer. Also try out megaman.
>>
File: 1463280980839.jpg (41 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
1463280980839.jpg
41 KB, 640x616
Hello /v/

I'm 35 years old and I have never had sex with a girl in my entire life. I'd love to start getting into them, but there's just so many of them! Where should I even start?
>>
>>343376942
>Are there any other free games that you guys can recommend?
Any system you can emulate on your computer is free. Even a shit laptop can run a lot of older systems no problem. Look up programs like NEStopia, snes9x, VBA, etc.
>>
>>343376942
Sure, check out Spelunky Classic The dev released an HD version on Steam but the old, free version is still a solid game.
http://www.spelunkyworld.com/original.html
>>
>>343376942
With that attitude you won't get very far. You need to keep trying until you get good at them. Also you don't need a "frame of reference", just go on youtube and watch what the various games are like. Type in "mario". Start with the simple looking ones.
>>
Unironically something like patched nekopara.

You'll keep cumming back for more.
>>
>>343376942
>Is there a way to tell if my laptop can run it before I buy it?
The store page lists recommended specs which you can check against your computer. Anything made before 2004 and 90% of 2d games will run without on a toaster. Still, if you buy something and it doesn't run well, Steam will refund you if you've played for less than 2 hours and bought it in the last 2 weeks.

On a side note, games used to have demos, which were snippets of a game that you'd get for free to try it out. For some reason, almost no modern games do demos anymore, and as a result it's become harder to tell how well something will run before you buy it
>>
>>343372664

First post best post

If you're not bullshitting and you've literally never played a game before, try Tetris. Even moms like Tetris.

From there if it's something you want to get into you'll want to branch out and figure out what different genres you like.

Games aren't like movies or books in the sense that when you read a movie or a book, you're always doing the same thing: watching or reading. Finding a game you like is like a combination of looking for what you'd like in a film along with finding out what kind of sport you like; gameplay is a heavy contributor.

But everyone likes Tetris and it's available for every device under the sun--although original GB is best

What kind of movies/shows do you like? We could try to recommend something with a similar story, although you may or may not like the gameplay.
>>
>>343377549
Isn't that illegal?
>>
File: 1467308110588.jpg (9 KB, 196x225) Image search: [Google]
1467308110588.jpg
9 KB, 196x225
>>343377956
So is streaming movies and downloading e books
>>
>>343376942
Steam should list the system requirements of whatever game you want. You'll need to find out what components your computer has (what type of CPU, how much RAM, etc) and then compare them to the system requirements for whatever games you want to get. In order to tell if your computer is better or worse than what's recommended for the game, you'll probably have to do some googling.
>>
File: pcsx2 2016-05-22 00-10-22-05.png (740 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2 2016-05-22 00-10-22-05.png
740 KB, 960x720
>>343377956
Not in any way that anyone actually gives a flying fuck
>>
>>343376942
Definitely Cave Story, although you're gonna need to brush up on your skills with Super Mario Bros and other platformers first.
http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php
>Is there a way to tell if my laptop can run it before I buy it?
Before buying a game on Steam you can scroll down and there should be a subcategory called 'System Requirements' that'll give an idea of what your PC can handle. Also, if the game is a couple years old or you don't give a shit about multiplayer you'll be better off grabbing it off a torrent site like kat.cr or piratebay.
>>343377956
No, emulation is not illegal.
>>
>>343372945
search nullpomino or cultris 2 dont try multiplayer you will get destroyed. if you still want to play multiplayer try tetrisfriends. it has good matchmaking system
but for practicing download nullpomino it has all the mods
>>
>>343377956

Technically, yes, but for older systems--especially 80s and 90s stuff--no one gives a damn. You could probably pirate NES games in the middle of Nintendo's legal department and they wouldn't care.

If you're a purist, you can seek out the original hardware (I'm a huge collectorfag myself and would sing the praises of original hardware to anyone not in your situation), but that's a money and time investment you may not want to leap into just now.

That said, some advice: Don't download a fuckhuge collection and only play something a bit at a time before moving on to the next thing, or you'll never get into any of them. If you're going to emulate, pick one game and spend some time with it before you download anything else.

If you want something 100% legally free and great, you might try Cave Story, but that may be a bit above your pay grade at this point, so to speak.
>>
>>343372515
>I'm 35 years old and I have never played a video game in my entire life

How does this happen? I'm terribly curious. Even my dad played tons of Defender and Joust back in the day, and he's twenty years older than you and normie as fuck.
>>
File: freeware_games.jpg (1 MB, 960x3926) Image search: [Google]
freeware_games.jpg
1 MB, 960x3926
>>
>>343373307
>trusting this bullshit
>>343372515
download a nes emulator
Buy a Xbox one controller and a wire to hook up on PC
Download super Mario bros. rom off emu paradise and start from there

Everyone should at the very least start from a NES game like SMB before moving on to be honest faM
>>
File: 1466905836767.jpg (3 MB, 2611x3001) Image search: [Google]
1466905836767.jpg
3 MB, 2611x3001
Thread ends here.
Play at least half of these games and you are set for life but I'll also tell you to check out Vanillaware games.
>>
>>343378573
>dark messiah
Game wasn't special at release and isn't special now
>but you can freeze the floor and enemies slip
cool not the first nor last game to try that
>t-the physics
Half life 2 blew it out and came out two years earlier
>>
File: No.png (104 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
No.png
104 KB, 318x318
>>343378540

>Xbox one controller for NES games

I don't have a reaction image disgusted enough for this

I guess it's not a 360 controller at least

But for fuck's sake pick something with the D-pad in a better place since that's all you'll be using. You'd be better off with some random secondhand USB controller from Goodwill than that.
>>
>>343378573

Every game on this list that I've played, I fucking adore

I guess I should play the rest
>>
>>343378573
I wouldn't recommend any of these games to someone who has only touched Tetris
Doom and Kirby games are straightforward though so that wouldn't be a bad start
>>
>>343378776
Okay

Buy the WiiU pro controller , comes with a USB but has no vibration so don't plan on using it for a n64 , GameCube or Wii game
>>
Uncharted 4. It's one of the best video games of the generation. This picture is NOT real life but rather a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh5HV4iic1Y

There's a trailer to give you an idea of the story and gameplay.
>>
>>343378573
>recommending these to someone who just played Tetris for the first time
>>
Seeing as people are asking what type of movies I'll list some stuff I like. Just don't tell /tv/, because if I posted these there I'm sure they'll call me names

My all time favorite is No Country for Old Men. I love Thrillers in general, and the Western setting was great even if I'm not big into Westerns.

Hot Fuzz is probably my favorite comedy. Love how you can watch it again and again and pick up some things you missed. But I also love older comedies, especially stuff with Leslie Nelson.

I'm not big into Horror or Romance, and I hate sappy Romantic Comedy shit.

Pretty much anything with a solid plot that doesn't get overly pretentious I guess.

I don't know how you'll relate these to games, but yeah.
>>
>>343378921

Oh, Kirby games are actually a great idea for a beginner.

They're solid and interesting games but they're also very, very forgiving.

Personally I recommend Kirby Superstar.
>>
>>343372515
hang tight pikker
>>
Do you have a kid?
>>
File: 1463810155405.png (319 KB, 442x533) Image search: [Google]
1463810155405.png
319 KB, 442x533
>>343378961
How is that possible? I assumed OP used that as an attention grabber.
>>
>its easier to recommend something if you actually like 'something'
>""taste"" in vidya develops early on

well shit, OP
>>
File: 55076304_p6_master1200.jpg (66 KB, 350x320) Image search: [Google]
55076304_p6_master1200.jpg
66 KB, 350x320
>>343378942
Well, OP did say he liked movies so this seems right up his alley.
>>
>>343372515
Try turn-based strategy games.
Civilization if you like realism or Heroes of Might and Magic (3) if you like fantasy.
>>
>>343378983
Red dead redemption

GTA5
>>
>>343378573
I'm laughing my ass off at the idea of Monster Girl Quest being someone's first game
>>
>>343378776
actually, the bone d-pad is rock solid. it's the 360 controller d-pad you need to stay away from.
>>
>>343379137

Legitimately not a terrible choice for this exact reason

Ease him into gameplay, maybe. That said, he has to make a huge financial investment to play any Uncharted game.
>>
>>343378573
Needs Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
>>
Pac-Man.

They just released a new one called "Pac-Man 256".

Generally arcade games are a good idea.
>>
>>343378530
>>343379059

I was poor as hell growing up, so never was in a house with a video game console. Growing up my dad just called them a waste of time and money. I never had much of an interest in them, and my dad always called them toys for kids. That mentality always stuck with me growing up, that's its what kids play, not adults. Never really second guessed him, even though he never played one.

But recently life's been getting boring and I wanted to try something else
>>
Hey OP, try a shmup of some kind like Gradius or Twinbee or something. Games are challenging but the gameplay is REALLY straightforward and easy to understand.

Also playing Mario is pretty much a requirement so that you can understand how platformers work, if you plan to get into games and don't want to spend money.

>>343379354

It's still in a really awkward place though
>>
>>343379376
Might as well play a Telltale game
>>343379434
This, emulate the Namco Museum games and you'll have a blast
>>
>>343372515

You've wasted 35 years of your life. But at least now you're starting to ask the right questions.
>>
>>343379050
Looking for a hookup?
>>
>>343379604
He's been dead for 35 years. Today is the day he lives.
>>
>>343378983

Those are difficult movies to suggest games off of, but they at least give us an idea of what kind of settings you might like. Since you didn't mention any sort of genre fiction stuff we know to steer away from sci-fi/fantasy games, probably.

Shit though, I'm wracking my brain about what to recommend similar to No Country for Old Men and I'm just not coming up with anything. Maybe Heavy Rain? But that seems like a stretch and you'd need a PS3 to play it.

If you ever want to get into anime, though, try Monster and Perfect Blue.
>>
>>343378530
My dad fucking loved Missile Command, Asteroids, Quake, and Wolfenstein.

>>343379493
Like other people have been saying, pick something simple and stick with it for a while until you either beat it or at least get the hang of it. A lot of people have already said stuff like Super Mario Bros, DOOM, Tetris, that kind of stuff. I'm too lazy to come up with a list right now but yeah you should listen to those people.
>>
File: Arid_r2_c3.gif (7 KB, 183x223) Image search: [Google]
Arid_r2_c3.gif
7 KB, 183x223
>>343372515
>I'd love to start getting into them, but there's just so many of them! Where should I even start?
You came to the right place, I'll make you big.
>>
>>343379716

Welcome to the real life OP.
>>
>>343379538
i can see how some might find it awkward, but with memories of good times playing my n-64 fresh in my head, it's hard for me to accuse the bone of awkward d-pad placement.
>>
>>343372515
Play the original Doom, OP. It's still one of the most solid games you can play today. There's a thread on >>>/vr/doom with everything you need to install it.
>>
>>343378983
Red Dead Redemption is one of the very few games with a western setting, and I hear it's really good. If you are ever able to borrow someone's PS3 or Xbox 360, you should try it out

>I hate sappy Romantic Comedy shit.
Stay away from pretty much anything with an anime art style in that case

The 'Paper Mario' games are what come to mind when you say Hot Fuzz and the Leslie Nielson movies. It's not exactly the same humour and someone else could probably give you something closer. They're RPGs, which means you might want to brush up before trying them. You can emulate the first three
>>
>>343379493

That is genuinely fascinating to me

Man, I kind hope you get into games now, and if you do you should come back and tell us how the journey went. I have no idea what it would be like for an adult to experience games for the first time. I've been playing since before I was forming permanent memories.
>>
Tetris
>>
File: 1451638121087.jpg (125 KB, 610x433) Image search: [Google]
1451638121087.jpg
125 KB, 610x433
that "v's recommended games" really needs a rework
>>
>>343380634

Got too popular. Literally the first result that comes up if a normie googles "recommended games"

It's really not that awful though
>>
File: IMG_2303.jpg (148 KB, 900x1273) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2303.jpg
148 KB, 900x1273
>>343379493
You should definitely refer to this list >>343378573 and branch out from that.

That being said, it's missing a bit more "/v/core"

Still needs Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky, Super Monkey Ball 1/2 (try and find a copy of Deluxe if you can, it's both games plus some extras), Solatorobo, Undertale, at the very least as an intro to shmups/bullet hell games like Touhou, LISA, and perhaps 999.

I'll also recommend Epic Battle Fantasy 3 and 4 on Kongregate.com to get you into the feel of basic turn based RPG combat. Both games are free and are kinda fun.

All games I suggested besides super monkey ball can be easily played with just a mouse and keyboard if you download emulators. Look up DS Emulators and you'll find good ones.
>>
>>343372905

>OP probably thinks this isn't a real game
>>
An essesntial in my mind is Resident Evil 4. The Wii version is fun with the wiimote.
>>
>>343372515
Cave story. You can get a free version.
Tetris. You can probably find a free version on google.
Doom.
Witch's House. (Good ''indie'' horror game that /v/ never talks about)
>>
>>343381080
Forgot to say: Witch's House is free. So is Yume Nikki. So is Ao Oni. I'm a sucker for horror games though.
>>
>>343381208
>no Ib
is it shit, anon? it's one of the only kind of those games I've played and I enjoyed it immensely.
>>
>>343381280
Honestly I didn't hate it, but I remember getting stuck or something and kinda never went back. If you enjoyed it though I still shill a little bit more for Witch's House because it was the best one I played imo. And I played Corpse party and other handheld horror games.

But yeah, I have nothing against Ib but I always just forget it exist.
>>
>>343375416
MMBN 3 > MMBN 2
It's a direct upgrade.
>>
File: IMG_2108.png (2 KB, 326x318) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2108.png
2 KB, 326x318
>>343379493
Play Undertale as soon as you can, not because it's an amazing game, but because its quality is almost based on how much you don't know about it. If you go in blind you might find it amazing.

That being said, it really is a good game for newbies to get into since the difficulty is quite low and sometimes it can seem a little derivative of other games if you've played a lot of them. If you're a total gaming rookie it may enhance the experience.

Also, check out Cave Story, it's a freeware game that is kind of the grandfather of indie games, plus it's a FANTASTIC platforming game with shooter elements. It's not quite as beginner friendly but it's also a great starting block.

Lastly I also recommend LISA the Painful RPG. It's not too beginner friendly but it's one of the games that is definitely something kids should NOT play, the story line is far more mature than most titles in this thread, and lo and behold, you happen to be the same age as the protagonist, Brad.
>>
You should look into the Kirby series OP!

Pretty much all of the games in the series are very easy to get into and would likely have a suitable difficulty level for someone unfamiliar with Vidya. Not to mention the are charming and fun af.

I don't have it saved at the moment, but if someone has the Kirby recommendation chart, you should post it.
>>
>>343372515
Play Super Mario Bros 3 repeatedly. It will teach you everything you need to know about the most important aspects of a video game: Level Design, Difficulty progression and Controls.
>>
>>343373809
>I like movies and tv series.
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>343378540
>Xbox one controller
Jesus christ m8, we're trying to help OP not send him running away disgusted.
>>
File: 1463563180353.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1463563180353.webm
3 MB, 600x338
Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War and Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War in that order.
>>
Buy a PS3, it has cheap HD collections and remasters of all the classics.

I suggest the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection. There are, what, seven great games (popular with amazing scores) and you can adjust the difficulty pretty freely.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.