[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever get a Saint's Row game as good as this again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: saintsrow2_coverart.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
saintsrow2_coverart.jpg
205 KB, 1280x720
Will we ever get a Saint's Row game as good as this again?

Why are 3 and 4 so shit in comparison? What happened, Volition?
>>
>>343367174
They wanted to distance themselves more from the whole GTA clone label, so they went totally overboard to be as "not-GTA" as possible. They had the perfect balance of wit and grit in SR2 and they fucked it up.
>>
>>343367174
>>343367174

I want a remastered SR2

It is the epitome of GTA style sandbox games.
>>
haven't played 4, but I liked sr3 better than sr2. Saints Row 2 was way too plain
>>
>>343367502
Why would they want to do that though?

There's nothing wrong with being a GTA clone if you're actually good enough to be a legitimate alternative

Saint's Row did cool shit that GTA never did or before GTA. They were way ahead of GTA on multiplayer especially
>>
>>343367776
Shit taste my man

2 > 1 > 3 >>>> Literal shit > 4
>>
>>343367174
STRAIGHT
>>
>based Johnny Gat before he went full meme
>actual fun side activities with a decent amount of creativity instead of slightly different versions of the same shit
>memorable map
>decent story (for a goofy gangster game), instead of jumping the shark retarded alien superpower bullshit
>good humour instead of quirky randomness
>cars actually have meaning, solid customization
>clothes customization is better, layers
>fun Shaundi

I miss this
>>
Steelport is a worse city than Stillwater, that's what happened.
>>
>>343368248
OUT
>>
Because people responded well to the bits of "whacky humor" in SR2 and that was what the game (and series) came to be known for. Volition saw that and decided to embrace it fully. SR3 wasn't complete garbage, I had a little fun in it, though still about 1/3 of my SR2 playtime. I don't know what they were thinking with SR4.
>>
>>343368050
No, the ranking is.

2 > 1 > 4 >>>>>>> Literal shit > 3
>>
>>343369496
>4 better than 3

Are you retarded? 4 makes cars useless, the map is even shittier because it's completely pointless, the humour is awful, and the plot is basically them flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks
>>
>>343367174
Saints Row 2 is so fucking comfy.
>>
>>343369654
It is more respectful to the first two and gives them more references in-game, the Third tried to pretend the first two didn't exist.
>>
>>343369654
glad i'm not the only one who enjoyed 3 more than 4
>>
>>343370208
A couple of cameos and references don't undo all the other shit the game does wrong

If 4 really "respected" the first two it would try to recapture what they did in terms of quality and tone, not just bring back some characters in VR
>>
3 and 4 both went over well, despite 4 originally being dlc for 3, but deep silver gonna deep silver. keep in mind after 4 they can pretty much take the series anywhere and any time they want but i would not expect to get any less wacky any time soon.
>>
>>343370402
They've actually rebooted the franchise into a new game without co-op (so I have no interest in it)
>>
dem swat helicopter missiles tho

but yeah, SR2 is by far my favourite. take the tanks that crush shit from SR3 and put that into a SR2 remaster and I would play that shit forever
>>
>>343371361
That, better graphix, radio while walking, and maybe some misc. new content

I'd buy that in a heartbeat
>>
>>343367174
4 was my favorite. Reminded me of Crackdown. That super sprint and super jump made exploring the city and collecting stuff so much fun.
>>
File: woof.png (606 KB, 800x417) Image search: [Google]
woof.png
606 KB, 800x417
>>343372083
>4 was my favorite
>>
>>343367174
god i wish 2 wasnt such a trash port
>>
>>343367502
Honestly is wasn't so much the change in tone/humor that made SR3/4 pale in comparison to 2, but the sluggish gampley. SR2 was probably the fastest-paced and Cuhraziest GTA-style game to date. Despite what the zany story might imply, SR3 felt toned down and restrained in-game. SR4 alleviated this to a degree with the super powers, but at that point the series had entered an entirely different genre and moved even further from the engaging gunplay of 2.

>>343368458
>Filling your car full of homies that actually helped before a mission.
>Each gang had their own favorite radio station that got louder and louder as they approached
>The septic fucking avenger.

I really hope they go back to their roots one day and make another high-octane, gang-based sandbox game with fun shootouts.
>>
>>343367174
>using the katana while in a motorcycle
that was the shit mang
>>
>>343372186
There's a mod/patch to fix it, it actually is able to be played on the PC with it.
>>
Saints Row 3 and 4 finally carved out a unique space for the series instead of keeping it squarely a GTA clone also-ran.

>B-b-b-b-but Saints Row 2 perfectly combined the silliness and seriousness!

So did the GTA games on the PS2. Saints Row 2 was a full generation late to that party.
>>
>>343372186
The GoG version that came out a year or two ago fixed most of the issues from the original port.
>>
>>343372334
>unique

3 is 2 but worse

4 is Crackdown but somehow less funny
>>
4 was okay. It did what it set out to do.
3 is a shitty unfinished game.
>>
>>343372273

Not only that it becomes the best version hands-down.
>>
>>343372441
I guess it did, if 4 set out to destroy any connection to the franchise it's supposedly a part of
>>
3's only advantage is that it ran better and didn't look as bad. Other than that it's issue is it tried to be as wacky as possible while 2 kept it serious but was still just goofy as shit. 4 is a super hero game and not really Saints Row anymore outside of name.

Best case scenario that spiritual successor bombs and they attempt to go back to their roots.
>>
>>343372334
Exactly this.

Why would I play a GTA clone when I could just play GTA? Saint's Row needs to be more fun, stupid, and arcady while GTA remains with being serious. Saint's Row 5 ain't topping GTA5 in terms of technical detail. No way in hell. I can't imagine playing a GTA clone after GTA5. So SR5 should just stick with the SR3/4 formula.
>>
>>343372816
Because Saint's Row did some stuff better or different than GTA. It wasn't just a clone, it was an alternative.

GTA still doesn't have co-op as good as Saint's Row.
>>
>>343372643
Volition wanted to seperate itself from being a 'GTA clone' since that's what everyone calls it.
They know GTA dominates free-roaming crime simulators and people will buy it on brand recognition alone, hence why gta 4 destroy sr 2 in sales despite saint's row being the better game by leaps and bounds.
>>
File: 1467035692863.png (24 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1467035692863.png
24 KB, 240x240
>>343368050
>>343369496
>Any Saints Row ranking
>1 isn't last
>>
>>343372986
Well of course GTA is going to win in sales

Doesn't mean they can't carve out an audience as a solid alternative

GTA's focus on mildly pretentious, mild realism leaves open the opportunity to do lots of things it doesn't
>>
File: 9480_2015-03-04_00002.png (825 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
9480_2015-03-04_00002.png
825 KB, 1024x768
>>343367174
>Will we ever get a Saint's Row game as good as this again?
no
>Why are 3 and 4 so shit in comparison? What happened, Volition?
they fell into the same pitfall reddit and the like do. they stumbled upon something that was funny and fairly unique and then they tried to replicate it with forced results without actually stepping back and trying to figure out why it was good to begin with. the end result is just a hamfisted rehash, with all the cheese and none of the love, so it doesn't really fit unless you're viewing it as a spreadsheet of requirements.
damn shame.
>>
File: 01658434.jpg (64 KB, 600x438) Image search: [Google]
01658434.jpg
64 KB, 600x438
>>343374004
>mfw playing SR4 and they drive the "homie sings a song with your character" joke into the fucking ground repeatedly
>>
>>343367174
why do people kiss saints row 2's ass all the time? the game was so fucking padded out it's insane
>>
The setting really killed Saints Row for me. Riding around in a bright purple assault vehicle with golden spinners through the suburbs was great. I didn't get the same feeling in the city. The whole map seemed to just blur together, no location in 3 or 4 stood out.
>>
>>343374232
How exactly was it padded out?
>>
>>343374232
I think you meant 3 and 4 m8

>"side quests" in 4 = do the same mundane checklist shit you were already doing
>>
What happened? Less random things to do, took out using almost any background object as a melee weapon which really pissed me off, less customization, killed Gat, brought him back but now the Earth is exploded. It tried to replace a lot of fun stuff with crazy over the top shit to mask that there was less toys in the sandbox.

If they could make an SR as good as 2 again I'd be all over it, but it seems unlikely at this point. If they somehow do? We better get fucking clothes layers back. Fucking removing them was bullshit.
>>
>>343368458
>>decent story
This point always pisses me off, SR2 didn't have a decent story. It had a really dumb story and dialogue just like every other game in the series, except that one took itself seriously. I agree with most of the rest of your list, though.
>>
>>343374120
at first i thought it was because it was going to be the last one. had that subtle last game feel
>>
>>343367174
The shit sound quality of the PC port ruined the game for me, finished it just out of curiousity.
That said, 3>4>2.
>>
Why did they even bother adding allies in SR4? Or cars and helicopters, for that matter?
>>
>>343374232
because it was the perfect balance of nutty and gruesome, and the rest of the series tried and failed to capture the same effect.
>>
>>343375314
I just said it was decent, nothing amazing

You're a gangster, help your homies fuck up the other gangs, done

None of this dumb alien shit
>>
>>343375380
Shit taste, kys

>>343375409
Did they really "add" anything? 90% of it was just reused assets
>>
>>343368458
You forgot that instead of the shitty exp system of 3 and 4, every activity rewarded you with something tangible. Even just dicking around town. Hold up a bunch of people? Unlocks a mask. Car surf? Hat. Jump out a plane and land on a target? Unlock no falling damage. You could dick around unlocking a ton of stuff before doing any missions.
>>
>>343375742
I was really surprised when my buddy told me you could unlock no fall damage right away instead of having to get to level 50 billion or whatever

>do Ronin stronghold where you have to climb a bunch of stairs. middle of the building is open
>finish mission, jump off the balcony and splat in the ground to exit
>>
In just a couple months I played The Third, then 2 and now I'm on 4.

I should expect it at this point, but you people are a bunch of bitter assholes who can't enjoy anything. I don't use the word lightly, and don't even like to use it because of how abused it is is, but you LITERALLY hate videogames.

As >>343372986 says, I would also say SR2 is a superior game than GTAIV, the gameplay and features simply overcome it it quantity and variety.
But that didn't do Volition any good, did it? It still didn't sell nearly as many copies as the so-called king of open world sandbox games. So they go the extra mile and say fuck it, throw the serious shit in the toilet so our franchise has something that sets it apart.

I've personally enjoyed them all so far, each for what it is. I don't blame Volition for the route they decided to take.

I'm also excited for Agents of Mayhem.
>>
>>343368050
>1 above anything
KYS
>>
2 was boss as fuck

i fucking hate 3 4 engine, they even boiled the bones one last time and made soup with what's left of it into that horrible gat game
>cannot even play
>>
>>343377076
>realizing that 3 and 4 are trash compared to 2 means you hate video games

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>343372236
>the COPS filming missions
HOLY SHIT that was fun as fuaaaaaark
>insurance fraud is pretty much burnout 3s crash mode
FUUUUUUUUUN
>Grabbing bitches and throwing them off the pier then stungunning the fucks in the water
FUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN
>Starting a fight between pimps and slowly walking away (with a custom silly walk anim) while chaos unfolds
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Seriously how did they fuck up with 3 that bad.
I literally played through storymode once and that's it.
The only things that were fun for me were the zombie segments
>>
>>343377708
>different = bad
Given the trailers we got before release it's not crazy to assume we almost got a The Third more in vain to 2, but they changed it to set it apart even more.
I'm also a massive completionistfag so the collectibles tickle my autism in a funny way, which might be part of the reason why I enjoyed those last two.

At this point you're just being insuferable out of spite from "they ruinied my serious gansta franchise ;^(".
I got all the games for like 12 bucks anyway, and gotten well over 90 hours out of em. Fair deal if you ask me famalamadingdong.
>>
>>343378421
No, bad = bad

>serious gangsta franchise

Lmao what? No one is saying that. Makes sense someone who likes 3 and 4 would be a braindead moron.
>>
>>343367174
There was nothing wrong with 4. It doubled down on being wacky hijinks with characters you like while still referencing what the game once was. The game was very solid and very fun and had the old saints row charm to it.
>>
>>343379146
It had no charm, and references don't make up for what it lost in gameplay and humour

4 is shit
>>
>>343367174
SRIV was okay on PS4 as like a make-your-own-super-hero-game, but I do miss the customization in SR2 where you could make almost any character you wanted because there were multiple layers of clothing to work with not like the newer games where it's just torso, pants & hat and that's it.
>>
>>343379146
The actual gameplay was laughable famalamalampai
They literally made a ton of shitty mini-games and called it an SP campaign
>>
>>343372643
>destroy any connection
>the entire game is an homage to the series' past and how the characters have changed
>has characters from fucking one which pretty much no one even played
You are extremely butthurt but its okay anon.
>>
>>343379361
And you're a fucking moron who confuses shallow references with actually carrying the spirit of the franchise

Congrats on being the target audience for SR4: retarded faggots
>>
>>343379260
>being this ass ravaged
It was a good game no matter what you say. I loved saints row 2 and played it at least a half dozen times. The love for the older games in the series shines through in 4 but they had to go in a different direction or die. Either deal with it and jerk off to how good the old game was or move on and enjoy the new games for what they are.
>>
File: sr2 death.gif (1017 KB, 500x205) Image search: [Google]
sr2 death.gif
1017 KB, 500x205
You know why SR2 was the best? because it's the only game that could pull off pic related. You need a certain level of seriousness in order for people to become invested in your story. Once you go full clown you remove the impact of any sort of drama and turn the whole thing shallow.
>>
>>343379613
>if you don't like what I like it means you're mad!

SR4fags really are retarded, huh

>it's different so it's good! Just enjoy eating shit like I do!
>>
>>343379661
I know eh

It was just overall a good game

company boss was rolling on too much coke and dough he lost sight of how to rear the ship

i hope a spiritual successor comes out sometime soon
>>
>Why are 3 and 4 so shit in comparison? What happened, Volition?
Because they wanted to have more fucking "Fun" but they took out all the seriousness story to the entire fucking game series, Like honestly they killed fucking Gat in the first 10 minutes of the game that was the first sign that they just said fuck the story in every way.
Fuck Volition, imaging if fucking 3 and 4 were actually good. Like Saints Row 2 Better and improved in every way even with the story I have no fucking doubt with everything in my heart that 4 would have rivaled GTA V Honestly if they just kept going and got more budget if the games were good they would have been perfect.
But no that didn't happen so fuck those niggers at volition man, stupid fucking cunts
>>
>>343367174
This was my favorite one in the series, 3 and 4 were slow processes of getting money and xp to actually git gud.

I liked using the cheats, the fucking car cheat though was the funniest yet most annoying, forgot what it was called.
>>
>>343379735
>It's different so it's bad! Just keep harping on a version of the series that no longer exists like I do!

Saints Row's problem was always that it was nothing but a GTA clone. Saints Row 2 was exactly that. Saying that "GTA4 went too serious so we went to Saints Row 2" is silly, since people who were dissatisfied with how serious GTA4 was just kept playing GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas.

Saints Row 3 made the series shine and stand out in a sea GTA clones, whether you like it or not. As a result, the series finally became successful.

After all, GTA didn't take off until GTA3, regardless of how many people liked GTA1 and 2.
>>
RIDE 'TILL I DIE
>>
>>343372334
I played all of the SR games and i enjoyed 3 the most. You're exactly right, anon. If I want to play SR2, I'll play San Andreas which is far superior and was done before. Saints Row 3 being hated on is a meme.
>>
File: SR_comparison.jpg (480 KB, 1200x1100) Image search: [Google]
SR_comparison.jpg
480 KB, 1200x1100
They cut out so much shit from 3 it's not even funny. This could use some updating, though.
>>
>>343382270
producers were coked up
>>
SR2 is on par with San Andreas. Maybe even better, due to more satisfying end missions and less empty shit to have to put up with. Being able to heal on the go allowed them to throw way more shit at you.

I did enjoy just driving around in SR3 and just buying the whole fucking city, even if mechanically you just hugged cover a lot. Didn't care for SR4.

Less to do with the narrative than it did the goofy animations and kinda shit mechanics.
>>
>>343370208
Oh boy references, that's what I loved about 1 and 2
>>
>muh serious gangster game

SR3/IV saved the series and that's the tone they should take into any possible future SR games. Deal with it you bitter, fun hating faggots.
>>
File: Tragedy and Comedy.jpg (141 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Tragedy and Comedy.jpg
141 KB, 1200x600
Ha!
>>
I had more fun with 4 than with 2.
>>
>>343384160
That's pretty accurate.
>>
>>343382270
I never really cared much about Saint's Cow's story so I dont see how 3 and 4 are negatives.
>>
>>343382270
3 was THQs older leadership wanting to kill Saints Rows legacy.

Gat died because he was a symbol of the old Saints and they wanted to create new Saints.

Near death THQ got a new leadership which saw what big fuckup Saints Row 3 was in its core. But after playing one of the potential DLCs the new president decided that this super power DLC should be the base for the next Saints Row game and thats how Saints Row 4 happend.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.