[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Peace Walker's story the worst in the series? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: mgs3.jpg (62 KB, 748x420) Image search: [Google]
mgs3.jpg
62 KB, 748x420
Is Peace Walker's story the worst in the series? I'm a few hours in and I don't understand the motive of any of the characters or why most of this shit is happening. I know Metal Gear is convoluted, but I mostly understood MGS 1-4 and Portable Ops.
>>
It's muddled, definitely one of the worst.

At least it has a fucking conclusion unlike V.
>>
>he doesn't know

;_; peace day
>>
>>343360275
The only things still canon from MPO are "Zero forms the Patriots with the Philosopher's Legacy" and "FOX is disestablished and FOXHOUND is formed". All the stuff from MPO and MGS4 about the CIA planning to discredit and eliminate The Boss by predicting Volgin would fire a nuke and whatever isn't canon anymore.
>>
>>343360275
All metal gear story is whack and over the top.
>>
>>343360275
It's muddled in part because it basis itself off of a non canon game. It gets better by act 2 when it's clear that you're just trying to stop thing x from person y.
>>
It's the third best story after 1 and 3
>>
>>343360275
it's more focused on exploring its themes like peace and robotics as well as the political backdrop of Cold War era Central America than anything else.

there's some fun moments in the tapes that set up Ground Zeroes well. seeing Mother Base go really hurt.
>>
>>343360275
No, but the gameplay is by far the worst.

V had the worst story 2bh
>>
>>343360607
Gene will forever be canon to me. God, he was such a better villain than SNAKE, YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.

That speech too.
>>
File: file.png (648 KB, 650x512) Image search: [Google]
file.png
648 KB, 650x512
>when the boss starts singing and walks into the ocean
>>
>>343360946
i always took it as FOXHOUND and Campbell were canon and Gene was canon other than being close to The Boss. i'm okay with him being one of the several, several, several people she trained but him just being Big Boss's Liquid was stupid.

everything else about the game was retarded. especially what they did to Gray Fox.
>>
>>343360946
Oh, he's just a recycled Liquid, but he's a way more interesting villain than Coldman and Doorknob.

Honestly, I don't particularly like MPO, but it works as a better sequel to MGS3 than PW did.
>>
File: campbellssoupthebossflavored.jpg (15 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
campbellssoupthebossflavored.jpg
15 KB, 210x240
JACK GO HOME
>>
File: Snake eater 1 .webm (3 MB, 650x364) Image search: [Google]
Snake eater 1 .webm
3 MB, 650x364
>>
>>343361173
>Lori Alan recorded for MGSV
>Kojima went to Normandy during development
>all Lori did was a few throwaway lines for the Mammal Pod

asdfg

I understand why it makes sense, since Venom never knew her, but goddamn.
>>
File: Snake eater 2 .webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Snake eater 2 .webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>343360275
V's story is worse. You probably didn't finish PW or have to relisten to the tapes/watch cutscenes to understand it, it's pretty basic.

It is bad though but nothing like V.
>>
File: Snake eater 3 .webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Snake eater 3 .webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
4 is by far the worst. V is pretty weak and feels unfinished and PW is kind of inconsequential but four is just shit, it has maybe two good moments the entire game.
>>
File: Snake eater date .webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Snake eater date .webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>343361760
>they actually ended the trailer with the gunshot sound effect from the boss' death
I hate you konami.
>>
>>343361760

Please tell me this is a remaster and not a pachinko machine
>>
>>343360275

Peace Walker's story I never cared for. V's relatively non-existent story is better.
>>
>>343361093
Here's my understanding and remembrance of the "Is MPO canon?" thing that a lot of people ask about

Up until the release of Peace Walker
>100% canon. The events of MPO are mentioned and expanded upon in MGS4, as well as flashbacks of Gene and Ursula/Elisa appearing in EVA's briefing to Snake in Prague

Post-Peace Walker
>Miller's "Leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind line" basically saying "Yeah, ignore that one", but not really outright retconning it
>The events and characters of MPO aren't mentioned once, even when Big Boss and Huey are talking about Sokolov and later, ZEKE
>Gene's speech to Big Boss is more or less contradicted by Coldman (Who ISN'T the deviously cunning strategist), whose explanation of what really happened during MGS3 differ from MPO and MGS4's explanation
>The official MG timeline on the Metal Gear website doesn't give Portable Ops its own entry, but specifically mentions Gene's uprising and "The San Hieronymo incident" under Peace Walker's entry. However, it also refers to ZEKE as "The first Metal Gear", so presumably a trimmed-up version of MPO is still canon
>>
>>343362163
Sorry to say but it's a pachinko machine

If it was a legit remaster I'd buy it day one
>>
>>343361093
>>343362252
MPO is canon at this point, it's PW and V that aren't canon. Fuck Kojima's shit writing.
>>
>>343362252
Post-Ground Zeroes
>The timeline in the loading screens doesn't mention MPO specifically, but Big Boss' coma takes place during the MG2 explanation of when he rescued Grey Fox from Vietnam in 1975, suggesting that Null might still be canon
>Miller lumps it in with the non-canon games during Deja Vu
>Kojima gives a Twitch interview with Dorito Pope, where he says that the "game itself happens in the Metal Gear timeline, but some events don't really fit in anymore", also clarifying that he doesn't sort Metal Gear games by canon, but rather, "Which ones I wrote and directed" (Kojima only wrote the skeleton story of MPO and produced it, he didn't write the script or direct it, since he was tied up with MGS4 at the time)

Post-The Phantom Pain
>Ocelot says that he obtained the Legacy, as in MPO, but makes no mention of stealing it from the CIA, and also says that upon obtaining it, he brought it to Big Boss, who told him to bring it to Zero, another retcon to MPO, where Ocelot stole the Legacy from the CIA while he was unwittingly working for Zero
>"The Patriots" name was only adopted when the AIs took over after Zero went braindead according to the Truth tapes, as opposed to that being the name of the organization right from the start according to MGS3, MPO and MGS4

So yeah, beyond "Zero forms the Patriots" and "Big Boss forms FOXHOUND" (Which are both in the credits timeline of MGS3 and aren't really exclusive to MPO), Portable Ops isn't really canon anymore
>>
>>343360885
Peace Walker is the only metal gear game I ever enjoyed
>>
>>343362527
That's because Big Boss wasn't in a coma, Venom shielded him from the blast at the end of GZ and while he was in a coma, he was hypnotized into believing he was Big Boss. Come on, keep up with the clusterfuck of a plot.
>>
I think it it was dumb to make Portable Ops and peace walker.

Can you imagine how much better MGS5 would have been without all that shit preceding it.

And imagine if it explored relations with Paramedic and Sigint and Zero.

And imagine it slowely progessed with Big Boss slowley losing morality in search of his dream of outer Heaven.

And imagine it did proper justice in exploring his grief of killing his mentor. And she shows up in a flashback sequence with her model rendered in the beutiful fox engine.

And imagine it didn't bungle the relationship between Big Boss and young Liquid, where he actually tried to have some form of relationship with the boy, going through a midlife crisis fatherhood redemption arc thing, training him on mother base and shit. And it all going sour, foreshadowing Liquid's hated of him later...

Imagine that game boys. You will never have it.
>>
>>343362746
>That's because Big Boss wasn't in a coma

Yes he was. Pay more attention to the game.
>>
>>343362746
Real Big Boss was comatose until only a few weeks before Venom woke up, senpai. Didn't you listen to those silly 45 minute audio dramas we got instead of cut-scenes?
>>
>>343360275
5 is worse
>no ending
>no climax
>"bosses" don't have background
>barely cutscenes
>>
File: Suplex GIF.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Suplex GIF.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>play V
>encounter white blonde African child soldier
I was so fucking stupid I thought it was Raiden.
>>
>>343362936
>>343362902
Goddammit
>>
>>343362527
>Miller lumps it in with the non-canon games during Deja Vu
Except the games that disappear under the light have nothing to do with being canon or not, its just the games directed by Kojima. Canon is a retarded obsession anyway.
>>
>>343360463
>At least it has a fucking conclusion

No it doesn't, the series doesn't conclude
>>
>>343360275
>I'm a few hours in and I don't understand the motive of any of the characters or why most of this shit is happening.

Stop. Go download ppsspp and play through Portable OPs. Then you will understand everything.
>>
>>343363023
It makes sense though
Raiden was a kid fighting in Africa
But it was in Liberia and 9 years after
>>
>>343363023
Liberia isn't exactly close to Congo.
>>
PW has a worse story than V, but people tend to forgive it because PW levels are short and sweet and has neat boss fights and stuff.

It doesn't change that PW shits on the Boss's grave unlike V.
>>
>>343363029
I know that they're "only" the ones he directed (I remember all the bootyblasted Rising fans bitching about that when Ground Zeroes came out, as well as when Kojima referred to it as "An alternate sequel to MGS4"), but he's made it pretty clear that the only ones that should be acknowledged in the context of the mainline series are ones that he was the head honcho of himself, which is why the only ones ever even seen in the timelines he greenlit himself are MG, MG2, MGS1-4, PW and MGSV. He's not gonna say "lol, ignore those shitty ones", since most the the MPO staff were still as KojiPro and working on MPO and MGSV, and he has a good relationship with Platinum and enjoyed Rising as a game, and basically just saying "ignore them" would come off as being disrespectful to all concerned.

>>343363591
Plus Strangelove was a thoroughly awful, awful character.
>>
>>343363079

In the end of Peace Walker Snake basically decides that The Boss was a fucking idiot for giving her life for political bullshit.

That's all that's important in peace walker, that and that Mother Base gets built.
>>
>>343363591
PW is all Kojima's shitty kid's fault
>>
>>343363698
And he makes a big song and dance about finally coming to terms with the "Big Boss" title, but is right back to being referred to as "Snake" by everyone 3 months later when the events of Ground Zeroes roll along.
>>
>>343363724

CORRECT
>>
>>343361053
Dont make me cry again dude
>>
>>343363724
Please develop
>>
>>343360275
Peace Walker and MGSV's stories are full-on horseshit outside of one or two scenes in each. Worse still, BB acts like a leader in PO but a complete pussy in the other two. What they should do is put MGSV's engine and gameplay into Portable Ops and retcon the other two into oblivion.
>>
>>343364058
Kojima's son hates Metal Gear, but was actually quite smitten with Portable Ops. He's also a big MonHun fanboy, so the reason that PW effectively replaces PO and has so much influence from hunting games (As well as those MonHun crossover missions) was largely born from his desire to make a game that his son would enjoy.
>>
>>343362437
Seriously ?
Please tell me you're trolling.
>>
>>343364247
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06/02/konamis-metal-gear-solid-pachislot-causes-rage-among-fans-gets-over-14000-dislikes-in-ten-hours/
>>
The games story wasnt the best but I still think game play wise it was one of the funnest, sure it could be better if the mechanics were polished and sharpened a bit more because seriously it was pretty easy. but still a good MGS game all around
>>
>>343363854
because ground zero and MGS5 is fucking so bad that konami fired kojima over it.
>>
>>343364229
Supposedly PW also has a yellow color theme because Kojima read that yellow is supposed to be the color most attractive to kids
>>
>>343360275
It's the reason TPP and GZ are bad.
>>
File: 1466777223034.png (56 KB, 219x406) Image search: [Google]
1466777223034.png
56 KB, 219x406
>>343364334
Ow god, Konami...
Everytime, I always believe they can't go lower. And everytime they prove me wrong.
>>
>>343363487
Who knows the difference it's all fucking Africa
>>
>>343364229
Proof?
>>
those cassettes with discussions about AI and nuclear deterrance are really good
>>
>>343364763
He talked a bit about wanting to make PW a game that he and his son could enjoy together during those promo documentaries that came out around the time it was released in 2010. I'm sure they're on YouTube if you can be bothered watching them.

Here's where he talks about the MPO thing, though.

>I have a son in that particular age group, the 13-15 year old age group, and he's been with me watching me create the Metal Gear series. But he has always criticized it: 'Oh, Metal Gear is such a s****y game.' Until the point I released Portable Ops. So these kids are really into these handheld machines, and my son is really into Portable Ops as well: the use of the WiFi, the ability to play anywhere, bring it to school, etc. So it seems like the middle school kids are really, really having fun with the PSP. It might not be the Metal Gear series, but I would like to consider this audience because it's very important and new.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2008/04/02/mgs4-hideo-kojima-interview
>>
portable ops wasn't much better than PW storywise either

>ursula in general
>it's called POOPS
>his name was hot coldman
>>
>>343364504
I'd believe that. I remember that he talked a little bit about making PW's marketing campaign very snappy and contemporary for the Japanese market.
>>
>>343364247
they literally used the fox engine to remake Metal Gear solid 3 into a pachinko machine game.
>>
>>343361961
>be me
>gambling in japan
>see mgs 3 hd remake
>pachinko machine
>decide to play it
>throw enough money to get into the big boss fight
>have to insert more money in order to hope the RNG gods are on my side
>as my money drains and the balls go down I witness the boss' death and she walks into the ocean
>have to insert even more money to see Snake cry at the end

thanks Konami
>>
>>343360275
Both 4 and V were far worse.
>your support crew from MGS3 were the patriots all along because The Boss I guess
>also there were these guy following you around and giving you stuff and they're obviously much better than you yet the upper brass never thought of sending them on this high risk mission instead
>>
>>343368040
A team of XOF guys ghosting Snake through MGS3 was far from the stupidest thing in TPP.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.