[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why Paper Mario gets all the love while Mario
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 41
File: mario-rpg-poll.jpg (128 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
mario-rpg-poll.jpg
128 KB, 800x400
Can someone explain why Paper Mario gets all the love while Mario and Luigi games tend to not be discussed as much? I realize I'm late to the Color Splash outrage party, but as someone who's played Paper Mario 2, Super Star Saga, and Super Mario RPG, I honestly don't see why people are upset by Nintendo telling everyone to play Mario and Luigi if they want an RPG. To me, all I really look for in these games is a certain style of humor and timed button hits to keep me engaged in battles at all times
>>
File: 1467055285484.jpg (195 KB, 1152x789) Image search: [Google]
1467055285484.jpg
195 KB, 1152x789
Paper Mario get discussed more because of the dire situation of the series.
Plus the last M&L game was the definition of forgettable.
>>
File: 1457563963443.png (229 KB, 489x608) Image search: [Google]
1457563963443.png
229 KB, 489x608
>>343353703
Paper Mario is only getting attention due to the Color Splash bullshit lately. Both series have a lot of it's fans so don't think Mario & Luigi aren't discussed a lot, it's just at the current timing that's the case.

Also I don't see the 2 series being the same much at all, sure they have action commands and humor but I prefer Paper Mario since the partners offer a lot more character & ways to get through the worlds with their moves (along with the Paper Curse abilities in TTYD & obviously the Super/Ultra Hammer & Boots). Mario & Luigi at most only has ways to use the Hammer & Jump differently. Also Badges are a thing in Paper Mario which really makes the gameplay different if you know what to use at what point. Mario & Luigi mostly just effects your stats when it comes to Badges & other similar items and doesn't give you new action commands like Badges do in Paper Mario. Which is also another point, there's more button variety in Paper Mario since Mario & Luigi sticks to the A & B buttons since that's how both bros work (Bros move have been making it a little better lately at least).

A smaller thing is the game being more tactical than Mario & Luigi. The amount of damage is simplified to smaller numbers & you aren't just raping enemies with your Bros Move every second.

Another big thing is the mini-games, Paper Mario has a couple but the Mario & Luigi have been filled with them since Bowser's Inside Story which I personally dislike a lot (Color Splash looks like it's getting filled with the shit too actually).

Another thing is the story telling, each Chapter had a smaller story in Paper Mario while Mario & Luigi is just 1 long adventure.
>>
>>343356291
By the way, I should mention I don't dislike Mario & Luigi as a whole, just that the series are much more different than it may seem and I prefer Paper Mario over it.
>>
File: PM3DS Bowser.jpg (193 KB, 734x482) Image search: [Google]
PM3DS Bowser.jpg
193 KB, 734x482
seriously, why can't they see it differently?

>Paper Mario is a traditional-based Mario RPG "ON CONSOLES"
>Mario & Luigi is a more action-oriented (via Bros Attack/Items/overworld puzzles) Mario RPG "FOR HANDHELDS"
it's that fucking simple

would be extremely nice if they did a M&L on WiiU/NX, but the situation Nintendo EPD and IntSys putting PM and M&LRPG in is extremely appalling.
>>
>>343356291
>>343356403
This was far more than I was expecting, thanks Anon!
>>
My enjoyment of M&L dropped significantly once every special attack started taking like a minute to perform.

What was wrong with the quick simple "Hit B A B and you're done" moves in Superstar Saga?
>>
>>343353703
SSS and BiS are the only good ones
>>
>>343358854
ask Alpha Dream

they'll jump back to that when we get our Mario & Luigi game with Wario and Waluigi involved.

nah, just wishful thinking
>>
>>343353703
I saw plenty of discussion on DT and PJ when they came out, but yeah, they're largely ignored in the downtime between releases while at least TTYD is brought up fairly regularly. I do prefer Mario & Luigi, but they have less of a story than (the first three) Paper Mario games so it's easy for them to generate less discussion.
>>
>>343353703
Ive played the M&L rpgs all the way through bowsers inside story and I have to say, the original superstar saga is still unsurpassed, though BiS comes close. what I read online and in reviews about the two games that have come out since in the series doesnt give me confidence that this has changed
>>
File: 1443901923509.png (520 KB, 892x708) Image search: [Google]
1443901923509.png
520 KB, 892x708
>>343356291
>(Bros move have been making it a little better lately at least)
>>
>>343353703
Because the Mario & Luigi series is doing okay so there is nothing really to discuss about. The only real complaint for it would be that they play it too safe with the recent games since now all they do is just copy and paste Bowser's Inside Story and don't innovate anymore. Basically, Paper Mario is suffering from too much change while Mario & Luigi, while not really suffering, just have too little change.
>>
>>343353703
Paper Mario tried to drag M&L into the dumpster with him in Paper Jam. Easily the worst M&L game with the most boring and forgettable areas and enemies, it ripped off Bros attacks from DT and it was almost devoid of comedy. Everything was by the numbers Mario, which is not what M&L is about. Don't get me started on Paper Toad bullshit either.
>>
>>343359916
But thank goodness the most important aspect of the M&L games was still present, right anon?
>>
>>343353703
The last two M&L were pretty underwhelming. Additionally, the combat feels a lot more slower and a lot more dragged out, especially the boss fights.
>>
>>343359916
honestly people were hoping for an actual fun crossover of PM

remember seeing an fake screenshot image of M, L, and PM fighting Rawk Hawk and some strong bean dude from Dream Team
>>
File: 7409.gif (54 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
7409.gif
54 KB, 480x360
>>343359916
I have to agree that Paper Jam didn't feel like a Mario&Luigi game at all.
The lack of the trademark enemies designs, original characters and twists on the familiar Mario locations the series always had hurt the game way more than I could imagine.
>>
>>343360080
She was fine in BiS. After that it became insufferable, though.
>>
File: MEHOYMANOY.png (302 KB, 520x356) Image search: [Google]
MEHOYMANOY.png
302 KB, 520x356
>>343360121
>Additionally, the combat feels a lot more slower and a lot more dragged out, especially the boss fights.
Fucking this, Paper Jam had the slowest and most combat to date, save for the boss fights.
And I miss SSS Bros Attacks, fuck items
>>
>>343360449
The M&L attacks were fine but FUCK the trio attacks.
Never again.
>>
>>343360627
Which ones did you hate the most?
>>
>>343360627
Was there any point to use anything but the first trio attack? All the others just didn't click with me.
>>
>>343360627
Trio attacks were just awful.
The kite is the only single target one, and its a button masher with framerate issues during the animation.

And I have no fucking idea how the meteor works.
>>
>>343360948
The spinning down thing I guess?
Absolutely terrible.
>>
>>343360953
Whirligig and Ninja Star were actually pretty good damage wise, but still way too fucking slow
>>
>>343358854
Completely agree with this. I hate the Bros. Attacks in every single game after SSS. They're really tedious and gimmicky. Bros. Attacks in SSS were an extention of the action command formula, basically harder versions of them so you can score big damage. They were a natural progression and fucking awesome.

That's the main reason why SSS is still the best Mario and Luigi game for me. Not even BiS got that right.
>>
>>343359639
I mean with the button combinations, it's a little more filled with variety.
>>
>>343361147
>Use Ninja Star against a boss
>Have to wait between each hit for the boss to come back on screen
>>
>>343361202
I thought you meant the variety was better, my mistake
>>
I didn't really care for M&L after Superstar Saga. Partners in Time was complete trash and while Bowser's Inside Story wasn't complete trash, I really disliked the shitty sidescrolling stuff. Imagine my excitement when I found out they brought back the sidescrolling shit in Dream Team! How lucky for me that Paper Jam came along and made everything good again. Did I say good? I meant why god why
>>
>>343361031
You have to herd all the papers into a tight bunch and then press the button of whichever bro is piloting the meteor as it crashes into them. Not difficult to grasp.
>>
>>343361607
What's the problem with the 2D sections?
Especially in DT they had nice puzzles and an unique combat system.
>>
>>343353703
Paper Mario gets more attention because people love bitching on /v/.
>>
>>343361830
The timing messes me up because of dang slow the meteors fall.
>>
The original Superstar Saga is overrated as fuck and honestly not that great.

>Good job! You finished the first 3 areas!
>go back through them again and get these mcguffins please

Bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>343362015
I just didn't like them.
But to be fair I didn't get very far into DT. Meant to get back to it but never bothered.
>>
>>343362112
I don't think any of them are and that you're simply no longer a kid who is okay with such tedium.
>>
File: give me a drink.gif (79 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
give me a drink.gif
79 KB, 500x390
>SSS and BIS are the only good ones!
>>
>>343362383
it goes like this

SS > BIS > DT > meh > PJ = PiT
>>
>>343362383
BIS is literally one of the most overrated games of all times.
Nothing puts him above the rest of the series except maybe the writing.
>>
>>343362112
Even if you go back to previous areas, at least you visit parts you didn't go the first time.
>>
PiT is underrated
>>
>>343362697
>RPG that has the best writing isn't the best
I wouldn't be able to stomach the boring gameplay of RPGs if it wasn't for writing, I'll say its the best then
>>
>>343362758
Yeah, it's not shit it's just bad.
>>
File: 1408137419729.gif (16 KB, 57x53) Image search: [Google]
1408137419729.gif
16 KB, 57x53
>>343362112
I liked Superstar Sage a lot, I just think Bowser's Inside Story is overrated. It's filled with stupid as mini-games that just wanna take advantage of the stylus, the areas aren't that original and the whole game is split into 2 (one being Bowser who usually gets fucked over & you can't play as from time to time & the Mario Bros which are usually stuck in a 2D side-scrolling area.) Not to say it's shit but when I was younger and first played it I was underwhelmed and I just tried it again a month or 2 ago and felt the same way.
>>
>>343362646
I honestly like DT and PJ more than BIS because playing as Bowser felt more tedious and boring than playing as the bros. Didn't help that the overworld sucked because it was built mostly around bowser.
>>
>>343362646
Definitely this. Never bothered with PJ but somehow Paper Mario has become a taint so I knew it would be shit.
>>
>>343362926
The overworld of PJ was worse.
>>
>>343353703
The first M&L was the only good one. The rest are okay but nothing special.
>>
>>343362926
The overworld in PJ was literally the NSMB bullshit
>>
>>343363164
Aesthetically maybe but the level design was definitely better.
>>
>>343363286
No, not really.
In BIS it wasn't great because it was basically a series of corridors and you couldn't jump.
In PJ it's a series of fucking huge areas with nothing in it, because they had to be designed with Toad hunts and other shitty minigames in mind.
They're so big and pointless that they had to had the dash socks to make the game berable.
>>
File: community_image_1415291553.gif (408 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1415291553.gif
408 KB, 500x373
I can't ever get into SSS, main characters (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Toads) just look so off model or just bad in spriting, it sounds bad (though that in particular is the GBA fault for such a shit soundchip, though some themes really do sound bad), and it just isn't fun at times for me.
As far as I've ever gotten into it was chucklehuck woods, which I know isn't far but if didn't pick up by then I really think it would any later for me.

Honestly I find the sequels more enjoyable.
>>
>>343363716
I'll take having large areas over having areas that are essentially corridors and the occasional having to switch to Mario and Luigi in order to do something miniscule.
>>
>>343364128
Ok.
I, if possible, won't take neither.
Hopefully the next game won't be minigames heavy like PJ since they got bashed hard in the reviews.
>>
BIS>SSS>DT>PiT
PaperJam is just total garbage. Boring combat, forgettable areas, characters, and bosses.
>>
>>343364349
>Hopefully the next game won't be minigames heavy
I doubt they'll do it again. I just hope it's not set in the Mushroom Kingdom because I'm sick to death of it.
>>
>>343354487

>Plus the last M&L game was the definition of forgettable.

Nah go fuck yourself

It easily has the best gameplay, bosses, upgrades, and controls in the series as well as properly representing the Mario series as a whole in an RPG
>>
File: 33636332_p10.png (16 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
33636332_p10.png
16 KB, 128x128
>>343364439
PiT>SSS>DT>BIS>PJ
>>
Why is PiT so hated?

Granted I haven't played it since release, so it's been a while PiT came out 11 YEARS AGO but I don't remember it being so terrible as everyone says.

Yeah the final boss was annoying as fuck, but the inclusion of the babies made the combat different. It had you time your attacks with A B X and Y as opposed to just A and B the previous game.
>>
>>343364812
>Linear as fuck; doesn't even have a proper overworld.
>No sidequests
>Boring antagonists
>Does fucking nothing interesting with the time travel theme except BABIES
>murrca version turned enemies into damage sponges

Nah, it's shit.
>>
>>343362890
This
>>
>>343365185
It's better than mini-game havoc the series had after it to me. Along with a more unoriginal world starting with BIS. Also the antagonists were at least the most threatening so far, Cackletta and Fawful are fun but they never took over everything, at most they took over a castle. Also the only damage sponge to me was the final boss & even then I'm fine with it, it made it a challenge.
>>
>>343365185
>murrca version turned enemies into damage sponges

Trampoline and copy flower were so broken that doesn't even matter.
>>
>>343364639
If "rapresenting the Mario series" means removing anything that wasn't in Sticker Star/NSMB. Aside from a couple of irrelevant cameos like king bobomb/boo.
You'd think that rapresenting the Mario series would mean aknowledging Sunshine for example, instead puf, Toadsworth removed.
>>
I personally don't enjoy playing games--particularly RPGs--on a 5 inch screen with tinny speakers. That's why I always liked Paper Mario more than Mario & Luigi.

I should really probably emulate some of the DS games now that DS emulation is pretty good.

Also, if Nintendo would have just made a damn 3ds player for the Wii U (the tablet+tv has all the hardware necessary to duplicate all 3ds features), I personally know two other people that would have bought a Wii U that don't currently have one, and I don't believe I'm the only one.
>>
>>343364639

Most people can't stomach the 6 hour tutorial
>>
>>343353703
They aren't really the same, at least they didn't feel that way to me. I've always preferred Paper Mario to M&L, so I can't just use the latter as a replacement for the former as Nintendo are apparently suggesting.
There are a lot of similarities of course, but there are also enough differences for me to significantly prefer one over the other, and I'm sure many feel the same. I admit I couldn't really put my finger on what those differences are, though.
>>
>>343365018
It's just not great, but I grew fond of it over time.
Great atmosphere and some of the best Mario locations.
>>343365493
>DT
>unoriginal world
Uh?
>>
File: unlike sonic.png (106 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
unlike sonic.png
106 KB, 292x257
>>343360449
>filename
>>
>>343366030
Sorry, I was mostly referring to BIS & PJ when I say that. I enjoyed DT a lot actually, but it doesn't seem a lot of others did.
>>
You can't have a battle system where you can and are expected to entirely negate enemy damage every single time and expect combat to have any degree of depth

Paper Mario just has you reducing damage by 1 if you block, which is far more manageable

>superguards
A lot harder than dodging attacks in M&L (really small amount of frames, bosses have sudden movements) and occasionally not even possible
>>
>>343366234
>A lot harder than dodging attacks in M&L (really small amount of frames, bosses have sudden movements) and occasionally not even possible
While it's definitely harder than M&L I still found them easy, even 12 years ago when I first played the game. If they ever make a new Paper Mario RPG I hope they make super guarding even harder to do.
>>
>>343365984
>He didn't play Paper Jam
My boy the tutorial is nothing like Dream Team
>>
>>343366221
BIS is weird, it seems like they wanted to make an original world with the beach with rotting teeth and the areas named after body parts, but then the idea is just dropped and everything is mostly generic.
>>
>>343363828
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOC0ig2Rk1g
If this sounds bad to ANYONE, I question them severly
>>
>>343366485

But that's M&L&PM :^)
>>
>>343366569
>:^)
people who use this should be shot into the fucking sun
>>
>>343353703
Paper mario has a more iconic artstyle
Being stuck to mostly just using m&l only is really bland character-wise.
paper mario has exploration
m&l has backtracking

Honestly, the highlight of both series is the semi-active battle system, which sticker star made pretty un-fun.
>>
File: 1243902036212.png (1 MB, 800x880) Image search: [Google]
1243902036212.png
1 MB, 800x880
>>343366682
:^)
>>
For me the order is

BiS > SSS > DT = PJ > PiT

That said, I never disliked any of the games, and I'd still say PiT is good. Just not as good as the others.
>>
>>343366569
Nigger what
>>
File: 1459061687792.gif (121 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1459061687792.gif
121 KB, 200x200
>>343366550
Yeah, that teeth aspect on the beach had a lot of potential but it never went anywhere beyond like the one Pokey-esque enemy. At least the color palettes in some areas make them feel a little different since it looks more seasonal like in Bumpsy Plains for example.
>>343366568
Yoko Shimomura just knows how to make my ears orgasm with her music. I was so glad to see that normal battle theme back in PJ for a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYLQl98orI

Also love this one from SSS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLL6USzhJYQ
>>
>>343367007
They fucked it up in PJ, it skips a loop
>>
File: Ck7B9m-UUAAOBtc.jpg (21 KB, 375x516) Image search: [Google]
Ck7B9m-UUAAOBtc.jpg
21 KB, 375x516
So what are the chances of the next game having another party member that isn't a second fucking Mario?
Can't Alphadream make a poll asking what Nintendo character would we like to see or something?
>>
>>343353703
paper mario and ttyd were low numbers rpgs with timed hits.
m&l are heavy on rpg elements with bosses with way too much hp that you basically have to use the infinite damage moves all the time. Fuck you PiT.
>>
File: 1451096707863.jpg (91 KB, 678x640) Image search: [Google]
1451096707863.jpg
91 KB, 678x640
>>343366568
>>343367007
>not posting the best theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3KWrUpGe_4
>>
>>343367147
>yfw They just do bowser again but this time he's actively in the same team as mario and luigi
>>
File: 1466808969810.jpg (93 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1466808969810.jpg
93 KB, 500x333
>>343367147
>Can't Alphadream make a poll asking what Nintendo character would we like to see or something?
But what if people vote a character that isn't in NSMB?
Do you want Miyamoto to have a seizure?
>>
File: Shaheen Wins.jpg (80 KB, 640x539) Image search: [Google]
Shaheen Wins.jpg
80 KB, 640x539
>tfw you enjoyed the fuck out of Paper Jam

>tfw it had the best gameplay in the series

>tfw it got rid of the shitty gimmick controls that plagued BiS and DT

>tfw it had the least backtracking in the series only second to PiT

>tfw it made the Mario series interesting and gave characterization for standard mario characters like King Bob-omb and Koopalings

>tfw all the shitposting doesnt matter because the devs stated that everything they did was on purpose because the other ideas were cluster fuck fanfiction garbage

>tfw we are guaranteed going back to getting original settings and settings in the same formula that keeps making a new spin without changing drastically

I love both series, but being a fan of the M&L series is fantastic so far

here's hoping the negativity from Color Splashes gets these guys to go back to the original formula, or atleast try a new concept without ditching RPG standards
>>
File: ss (2016-06-30 at 11.57.57).png (21 KB, 714x349) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-30 at 11.57.57).png
21 KB, 714x349
>>343367106
Shit, I never noticed that. That's gonna annoy me now.
>>343367343
They almost used Bowser again in Dream Team according to the Iwata Asks interview.
>>
>>343367593

Miyamoto can't do shit with Mario and Luigi

he had a battle with them, and Alpha Dream won, which is why DT is the way it is

Paper Jam had absolutely no influence from him, his only input was the dash socks, everything in paper jam was on purpose because they couldnt think of a better plot that wasnt garbage
>>
>>343367707
>>tfw it had the best gameplay in the series
lol
>>
>>343367707
>>tfw all the shitposting doesnt matter because the devs stated that everything they did was on purpose because the other ideas were cluster fuck fanfiction garbage
Source?
>>
File: 1342723809414.png (27 KB, 327x444) Image search: [Google]
1342723809414.png
27 KB, 327x444
>>343367707
>tfw it had the best gameplay in the series
You actually enjoyed that slow fucking combat?
>>
I wouldnt have a problem with the claim

my only problem is i dont like playing on handheld

give me a mario and luigi game on console and im on board

i already played SSS and PiT on virtual console and it's fucking great
>>
>>343367828
I think it might have actually been pretty cool to have mario luigi and bowser in a team at once, would make some interesting special attacks.
I'm still disappointed there was no bonus battle against mario and luigi where you play as bowser
>>
>>343367834
Is that why they replaced Popple with Nabbit, removed Toadsworth, block people, any friendly race except Toad, and didn't use a single PM asset that wasn't from Sticker Star?
>>
>>343367834
Does your uncle work at Nintendo?
>>
File: K1jHGI9.png (4 MB, 1905x3552) Image search: [Google]
K1jHGI9.png
4 MB, 1905x3552
>>343367896
I think he's referring to this.
>>
File: 1449030852057.jpg (74 KB, 498x497) Image search: [Google]
1449030852057.jpg
74 KB, 498x497
What's the best battle theme and why is it Victory in the Dreamworld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43bXrRVPFE

SSS is catchy as fuck, but Victory in the Dreamworld is just too goddamn good

Also, this may sound rash but Sticker Star had the best normal battle theme in the PM series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEay7Ys83g
>>
>>343357206
Is this from Sticker Star? Doesn't look familiar.
>>
File: Sticker Star final boss.jpg (15 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star final boss.jpg
15 KB, 290x174
>>343353703

Because TTYD and SPM take themselves 'seriously.'

When people say they want Paper Mario to return to it's roots, what they mean is for it to expand on the lore of TTYD and SPM. There's a reason no one brings up the original anymore.
>>
>>343368996
Bowser never talked and there's no partners, it's a "what kudda bean" I guess.
>>
>>343365504
For fuck's sake the American version was released first. All later versions being fixed were afterthoughts. No matter how many times it's said you cock licking faggots never get it right.
>>
>>343369035
The fact the the Gamecube was recognized as good in retrospect is fucking torture since now Nintendo fans can say the same thing for every genuine fuck up Nintendo does after, and sometimes they'll be right but you'll never know but they'll usually be wrong
>>
File: Ce6tIeDW8AAf3ox.jpg orig.jpg (102 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ce6tIeDW8AAf3ox.jpg orig.jpg
102 KB, 1980x1080
>>343368629
>Sticker Star had the best normal battle theme in the PM series
I could understand if you said mini-boss/boss battle themes but I can't stand that normal theme, it annoys the ever living shit out of me. I like how it gets fucked up though when you're low on damage at least. These are great though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_apmasgsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvpyLWf5X8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_BoXyZlDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZpLB5Uk30s

>>343369035
You do know, your opinion has literally no value at this point, right? Also plenty of people talk about PM64 in these threads, people almost always fight if PM64 or TTYD are better after all.
>>
>>343367707

>or atleast try a new concept without ditching RPG standards

This

I wouldnt have a problem with Sticker Star and Color Splash's new design approach if we had interesting characters and story and shit that's standard in an RPG
>>
>>343369073
fuck you waluigi
>>
>>343367828

Paper Jam introduced the concept of finally having a third character in the battle system

I can see them expanding on this in a future game

We could get bowser tagging along

or better yet Yoshi
>>
>>343359916
Gonna completely disagree. It was the best one to date. Combat was good and I loved how they added PM to the Bros. It was the hardest game too. The Paper Toad shit wasn't even that bad, what was worse was the cardboard shit.

Areas were just normal Mario areas, music was fantastic though. Wrong about enemies. I thought it still had some humor. Anyway you're just wrong.
>>
File: Pretendo Exposed.jpg (1 MB, 1994x7320) Image search: [Google]
Pretendo Exposed.jpg
1 MB, 1994x7320
>>343369035
Cody, you are underage and should not be posting here.
Fuck off.
>>
File: PM3DS finale.jpg (190 KB, 734x482) Image search: [Google]
PM3DS finale.jpg
190 KB, 734x482
>>343368629
everybody can agree Sticker Star had good music. i've loved the "Kerti's Power" music (Starman 64 remix), thought i've hated how underwhelming the final fight was.

>"lol, enemy rush and giant bowser fight, das it mang"

also, i don't recall ANY kind of Mario game having any shit music.

>>343368996
no it's just a fan revision of SS.

using the images to present myself as a counter to that underage miiverse shitter.
>>
File: 1445733579730.png (261 KB, 654x473) Image search: [Google]
1445733579730.png
261 KB, 654x473
>>343367707

>>tfw all the shitposting doesnt matter because the devs stated that everything they did was on purpose because the other ideas were cluster fuck fanfiction garbage

They had fun with it

One designer wanted to make sure Luigi's ass had exposure in the forest scenes
>>
>>343369360
Fuck me, that event battle music is actually pretty good.
>>
>>343367707
>here's hoping the negativity from Color Splashes gets these guys to go back to the original formula, or atleast try a new concept without ditching RPG standards

Jokes on you they said that they don't want competing mario rpgs, which is why we got super paper mario and sticker star.
>>
>>343361107
>>343361031
Lol what? I loved them. Were you people fucking bad at them or what? There were no framerate issues?

>button masher
And?
>>
>>343361147
They were definitely not slow. I don't know what you define as slow.
>>
File: PM3DS Bowser.png (478 KB, 734x482) Image search: [Google]
PM3DS Bowser.png
478 KB, 734x482
>>343369629
guy who made the infograph

just report, ignore and hide and he won't bother. and don't abuse it either because it's still need a few revision.
>>
>>343353703
>that image
Aw, Paper Luigi thinks he's people.
>>
File: Paper Mario Bingo.jpg (2 MB, 1308x1632) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario Bingo.jpg
2 MB, 1308x1632
>>343369658
I love the Event Battle music, it's in my Top 3 for sure. Also can't forget about Snow Rise, I can't get enough of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFp7kt4G-Ck

Even if Color Splash is as bad as Sticker Star I'm confident it's music will be as good as the whole series has been so far, even the bingo knows it.
>>
>>343367707

Surely they can't ignore the negativity before Color Splash's release, it's been very noticable since it was revealed.

Sticker star gets a free pass because it was a concept new to us, it wasnt until after it was released to find the real responses

but now they have no excuse, the negativity is loud and clear
>>
i kind of hope they bring bowser in as a third 'partner' for the future m&l games

my favourite versions of bowser were SSS and TTYD where he was kind of on his own adventure
>>
I've been playing through Paper Jam and while I love the boss fights I can't help but feel like everything inbetween feels like a chore.

I just got to the snow mountain toad village, how far am I through the game?
>>
>>343370094
Well I literally just beat the game not too long ago. I really liked it. I just felt like the Cardboard shit was a chore.

At that point in the game, I'd say you are about 70-80% done?
>>
>>343370094
60ish%
>>
>>343369930
They can and they will ignore it.
Can you see them going back to the old formula at this point? Both gameplay and story/designs wise?
They're trying their best to pretend nothing before Sticke Star ever existed afyer all.
>>
Because M&L is consistently good while Paper Mario is literally dying, which makes for better conversation
>>
>>343370372
>consistently good
The only good one was SSS, and at this point I'm not sure if it's because of nostalgia.
>>
>>343370237
>>343370265

Thanks, I'll keep sticking with it since I'm enjoying the combat but I'm having trouble playing it for more than small sessions at a time.
>>
>>343367834

Dash socks was the best shit in existance

Let him give simple suggestions rather than take control
>>
Paper Mario was the better series until Sticker Star, and the main reason SS sucked was because of interference by Miyamoto after Super Paper Mario's surreal plot.
>>
>>343370439
Not him, but shut the fuck up. They are all pretty good, especially the recent one.
>>
File: firefox_2016-06-30_21-36-03.png (1 MB, 1162x638) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-06-30_21-36-03.png
1 MB, 1162x638
Paper Jam is the shit. Mario and Luigi are rude as fuck. They fucking crumple and bend the shit out of a random ass paper Goomba and instead of apologizing, they kick their asses. It's the best.
>>
>>343368319
They purposely did that and wanted to focus on the interactions between Paper and standard characters. Anything beyond that was aimless fanfiction tier clusterfuck. They even considered having Mario and Luigi enter the paper world or the regular world slowly getting paperized.
>>
>>343370843
>i see the scene with paper bowser jr and bowser jr thinking about ruining the world in the book
>it never happened
fuck.
>>
>>343370843
Jesus you're retarded.
Where's the counterpart of Nabbit then?
And yeah, I'm sure they were allowed to use all the OCs from the old PM games if they only wanted.
>>
>>343368319
>>343370843
A source for that is on Miiverse & a screencap of it is right here by the way: >>343368591
>They even considered having Mario and Luigi enter the paper world or the regular world slowly getting paperized.
I can understand the reasoning behind it but I do wish that plot happened though, it sounds way more interesting than what we got.
>>
>>343370652
I tried BIS and DT because faggots like you kept insisting "oh it's much better this time"
No. Special attacks that take too goddamn long, everything needs to be explained 3 times over, boring characters, and awful fucking minigames aren't "pretty good". I could excuse the poor writing but the game is afraid of letting you play it for more than 5 minutes at a time without a dialogue break instead of letting the player actually enjoy the combat system.
>>
I want a Mario and Luigi game on a home console if that's the only series that's going to give me a Mario RPG.

I gotta say though. The Success of New Super Mario Bros. is the bane of creativity for the Mario series. When was the last time they introduced a new species in the Mario universe?

Sunshine? That sounds about right.

And I don't see Piantas or Nokis anywhere else anymore.
>>
File: all purpose reaction image.jpg (92 KB, 638x594) Image search: [Google]
all purpose reaction image.jpg
92 KB, 638x594
>>343369591
>>
>>343371431
>When was the last time they introduced a new species in the Mario universe?
Lumas, I guess.
>>
>>343371431
>When was the last time they introduced a new species in the Mario universe?
They don't even really need to. There's a shit ton of enemies they haven't used anywhere other than the Mario Land games
>>
>>343371315
What is this "taking too long" meme? I really have no idea what you are talking about. None of them take too long in the sense that it drags and bores you, fucking moron. In Paper Jam if you're talking about the Triple Attacks, you're paying attention to them the whole time. They are fun mini-games, especially the top-down one.

Dream Team has the Tutorial shit. I didn't beat that one, but none of the special attacks are "too long" whatever the fuck that means. If you don't like BiS then you're just a piece of shit with no taste, play something else.
>>
>>343371431
Even penguins and red bobombs disappeared.
And nothing from Galaxy spread to other Mario subseries except Rosalina.
Then the only NPCs introduced in 3DL/W were those shitty fairies.
The series becomes more souless with every passing year.
>>
File: Booblow2T.png (1 MB, 1250x1500) Image search: [Google]
Booblow2T.png
1 MB, 1250x1500
Do you like her now /v/?
>>
>>343371570
Sprixies
Even if we're talking about SMG, theres the robot nannies, and the wood chip people. SM3DL added the Biddybuds...
>>
>>343371431
3d land and world had a bit of new stuff
>>
>>343371181
Popple was already in Dream Team. What could he possibly want from the Mushroom Kingdom? Mushroom Kingdom's pleb coins are fucking Zimbabwe dollars compared to Beanbean coins.
>>
>>343371838
are they really from 3d land? they seem to me like something they did in the gamecube era and i just happened to not play those games
>>
>>343371836
Testicles don't make her less of a bitch.
>>
File: mariowiki.png (130 KB, 644x408) Image search: [Google]
mariowiki.png
130 KB, 644x408
>>343371945
Chekem
>>
No one cares about the Mario and Luigi games because of over saturation, most everyone is sick of them now. People may mad because there won't be any paper mario games in the vein of the first two, but at least they ended it on a high note, before it got old and tired from countless sequels.
>>
>>343372084
wow
nice
>>
File: 1411949779514.jpg (573 KB, 1088x738) Image search: [Google]
1411949779514.jpg
573 KB, 1088x738
>>343371431
Galaxy had the Lumas & Galaxy 2 had the Piantas in a galaxy. 3D also introduced the Sprixies you save.

Also enemy-wise 3D World introduced Ant Troopers, Blocksteppers, Blurkers, Brolders, Charvaargh, Conkdors, Flopters, Fuzzles, Hop-Chops, Madpoles, Rammerheads, Skipsqueaks, Splorchs, Splounders, Ty-Foo & Walleyes.
>>
>>343372084
that's literally a buzzy beatle
>>
File: fixed version.png (10 KB, 373x424) Image search: [Google]
fixed version.png
10 KB, 373x424
>>343371836
>>343371960
fixed :)
>>
>>343372154
Ok no.
Just no.
Buzzy beetles take two hits to jump on.
Buzzy beeletes turn into a shell after one hit
Buzzy beeeteletes are immune to fire
And Biddybuds usually travel in groups to where you can get a 1-up if you bounce on all of them succesively. They also follow a fixed path.
>>
>>343372242
Now it just looks like two dicks.
>>
File: 138724897953.gif (2 MB, 150x114) Image search: [Google]
138724897953.gif
2 MB, 150x114
>>343372301
>Just no.
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>343372301
Nice to see the series has so many unique enemies
>>
>>343371734
I'm going to just direct you to this post >>343361193
>They are fun mini-games
And completely break the flow of battle. Even if they're fun (which is subjective, because I think they're shit) they shouldn't be dropped into the middle of a fight because it just slows everything down.
>>
>>343354487
cant argue with that. i deleted the last game almost as soon as i got it
>>
>>343369692

>Competing

They're looking at it wrong, then. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are roughly supposed to be continuations of SMRPG; they tell different stories in what is overall the same setting (we can generally assume that in spite of the discrepancies of the paper! world, both it and the regular Mario world had their own versions of the others' events, as shown by Mario Party 5), and to say that they're completing is like saying LoTR is competing with The Hobbit.
>>
File: 1464461839973.jpg (171 KB, 614x374) Image search: [Google]
1464461839973.jpg
171 KB, 614x374
>>343372858
And because I forgot it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXW30NXwOk
Each Luiginary attacks takes about 30 seconds.
Bros items seem to take about 20 seconds each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgHksroyI8
Compare that to SSS, where Bros attacks vary greatly but generally clock in around 5-6 each. Some take much longer.

There's your fucking "meme" you twit.
>>
>>343371734
Just saying, but I literally died multiple times to King Bob-omb because of how long they take. I had to use normal abilities, at least when using Paper Mario when it comes to that boss.
>>
Paperfags are too harsh on M&L.
>>
>>343375841
I disagree.
>>
File: 875947566.jpg (43 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
875947566.jpg
43 KB, 709x765
>>343353703

>Two excellent games
>One great game that deviates from the formula but still stellar
>One game that absolutely shit on the flavor of the entire series
>It's now the gold standard and Paper Jam references it ONLY

I think people would be a lot less bitter if it weren't for Nintendo actively ignoring the first two games.
>>
>>343372242
tiddies are too egg like
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.