[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Subnautica >The Forest >The Long Dark I'd argue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 31
File: sub.jpg (36 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
sub.jpg
36 KB, 460x215
>Subnautica
>The Forest
>The Long Dark
I'd argue that these are the three best looking survival games on PC right now and they are all on sale. Thoughts on each of them? Which is the most worth it to purchase?
>>
File: subn.jpg (147 KB, 618x348) Image search: [Google]
subn.jpg
147 KB, 618x348
>>
>>343348968

Uh, Rust at 1440p on an IPS display can be pretty game beautiful.
>>
>>343348968
Subnautica is the most worthy imo.

Long dark second and the forest far behind. The forest devs have made so little progress it's astonishing
>>
>>343348968
Subnautica is the best one there by a longshot.
>>
File: tld.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tld.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
>>343349058
I meant best looking as in which looks like the most fun.
>>
>>343349203

Rust was the first non clunky survival game though, really one of the best games in 20 years.

I bought The Forest and haven't played it yet.

I didn't want to play a bunch at once so I held back on the others.
>>
>>343349102
I have heard a lot of good things about it, I really want to give it a go but I refuse to buy early access games. Does it have a release date?
>>
>>343349340
People keep saying late August
>>
>>343348968
Looks great, but every update seems to give a massive kick to the balls with performance issues, especially if you're using an AMD graphic card.

>>343349203
The Forest gets boring pretty quick, and once you've harvested all the nearby trees it quickly becomes a chore to run halfway across the map to get more.
>>
>>343349318
Man Rust is a weird one. It can only really be called survival due to the player base. The actual game is very simple but when you got servers where even nakeds try to bum rush you with a rock when you both just spawned and you have to flee roaming shitter squads you start to realize it is in fact a survival game , just not how you thought.
>>
>>343348968
>Subnautica
Probably the best of the three by a long shot. The creatures and enviroments un-nerve me to no end, and the sound effects make me piss myself a little. Games getting updated a lot so it seems to be going places for now.

>The Forest
It's "okay", shit can get tedious having to run all the way across the map for new resources. It goes from being spooky and thrilling to boring and repetitive real quick.

>The Long Dark
I didn't really like this too much, I've dumped about 20 hours into it and it seems too bare bones. It also doesn't help that features like story mode that were promised over two years ago keep getting "extended". Same with supposed release dates. I feel like they're just milking the EA thing now.

tl;dr

-Buy Subnautica
-Probably buy The Forest
-Avoid The Long Dark
>>
>>343349852
it's definitely much more so since starvation became serious business, and I mean it's very serious. It was a moot point before.

Wolves and bears are also serious business.
>>
>>343348968
The Forest if you have friends to play with
Subnautica if you dont have friends to play with
not sure about The Long Dark, never played it
>>
>>343349852
its survival with gay rape as fear factor
>>
>>343349852
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki5cvEPu_e0

Sometimes you get some funny shit in Rust
>>
>>343350118
I've played it with the increased starvation and while it makes dying easier it's not that bad.

And wolves and bears are only a problem if they surprise you. They can't even attack you if you build a platform. When bears and wolves can raid bases while whining about 'rooftop campers' then I'll consider them 'serious business'
>>
>>343348968
>Thoughts on each of them?
They're all still in fucking early access and I hate it because I've been interested in them for years now.
>>
>>343350596
>Subnautica

It's serious starting off, and later if you don't stock up, but by that point you'll have a base so it doesn't matter much, it's only serious when you're about to make a babe and have everything on you.

I just jump on nodes usually.

Also, I had NO IDEA Subnautica was a survival game, I thought it was some gimmicky VR ocean game.
>>
File: Screenshot (169).png (55 KB, 260x155) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (169).png
55 KB, 260x155
I bought Subnautica during this sale. A totally uncharacteristic impulse buy decision for me. Let me tell you what I think about it.

- I'm sitting on 2 hours played and must make my decision to keep or refund it before playing any more.
- When I purchased, I didn't compare it to Forest or Long Dark, but since then, Long Dark has appeared on my radar, and I have been thinking of purchasing it too so that I can play it for 2 hours and pick one. The latter happens to be half the price, too.
- Subnautica scares me. I'm not "phobic" of open water but jesus it's pretty bad in this game for me. At first I thought I'd have to refund it for this reason alone, but I've slowly managed to gather the courage to get further in a bit.
- Not ever buying early access normally, I checked into the update frequency of Subnautica, and they've been doing a good job of it.
- About the Long Dark, at a glance it looks like they don't even have a story mode out yet, and they're already talking about seasons for extra costs.
- I have one of those toaster pcs that keeps allowing me to say "wow it runs better than I expected even on my toaster". Well, that's not the case with Subnautica. It runs between 30 and 50 fps on low (which is visually acceptable to me although the surface water looks jagged and there's some bad textures) but still get drops into single digit pretty frequently.

I'd say try out Subnautica for 2 hours.
>>
>>343350790
Wait are we talking about Rust or Subnautica now? I was talking about Rust.

As for Subnautica there are hints that the difficultly will ramp up later in game as something starts actively hunting you. They just haven't implemented it yet.
>>
>>343351325

Ignore the sub quote, idk how that got there.
>>
>>343351231
>I have one of those toaster pcs that keeps allowing me to say "wow it runs better than I expected even on my toaster". Well, that's not the case with Subnautica. It runs between 30 and 50 fps on low (which is visually acceptable to me although the surface water looks jagged and there's some bad textures) but still get drops into single digit pretty frequently.

Thats actually a pop in texture / terraform issue. They're gonna disable it to increase performance.
>>
>>343351484
Ah. Well as for Rust the server I was on I couldn't even build a base most the time since people living nearby would come out and fuck me if they saw me building or just saw me. Even the times I went to the secluded areas squads would come find me and push my shit in. Pretty intense.

Plus, I'm pretty shit at making bases so they usually get raided. I don't know where they get time to make that much c4 to get so little.
>>
>>343348968
Subnautica is pretty interesting, but overall seems fairly casual in terms of the overall gameplay. There's a lot there in terms of content, but it seems pretty braindead simple.

Forest has some pretty interesting mechanics, visually is quite nice, and can be a great bit of fun at times and even tense. However it's moving at a bit of a snails pace content wise, and some of the systems are a bit lackluster and could do with some overhauling.

Long Dark is deceptively simple and straightforward, but it also has really good systems in place and can be difficult to explore and survive despite how simple it seems. However, it feels like it has next to nothing in terms of content and gets repetitive quickly.
>>
Subnautica is pretty fucking dope, I've already logged 20 hours since picking it up in the sale and I've enjoyed my experience a great deal. Only real complaint is that the pacing is a bit off, which is to be expected during early access to it's forgivable, but it feels like you hit what would be considered 'end-game' pretty quick and then you're left with very little to do. Base building is comfy as fuck though.
>>
>>343351961

You just always craft, or they craft while farming in groups, most of your crafting time is spent making gun powder.

Once you get a quarry and can keep it going with refined oil you'll be drowning in HQ as that's the real reason to get a quarry, and that that point you can roll with AK's and bolts and give no shits if you lose them.

Rust greatly varries based on the server and time of day.

But the XP patch is coming in exactly one week, this should switch up the game where huddling around monuments and farming monuments for BP frags when a server is dead will no longer matter.

It actually may make starting near a wipe harder since people should be spread out more.
>>
File: 1467235200108.png (79 KB, 620x630) Image search: [Google]
1467235200108.png
79 KB, 620x630
>>343349993
>>
>>343352350

Shit reason, let's change everything we do because some retard went full retard.
>>
>>343352350
wow was going to buy subnautica but devs are massive cucks

lel dropped
>>
File: mike.png (709 KB, 612x736) Image search: [Google]
mike.png
709 KB, 612x736
>>343352350
This makes me want to not give the dev any money. But I always say judge the art, not the artist so I want let this cloud my decision.
>>
>>343348968
If I had known The Forest was in that Humble Monthly Bundle I would've bought it. I fucking hate the blind bundle bullshit.
>>
>>343352350

Oh ffs, I can't buy that after reading this drivel.
>>
>>343352350
>>343352446
>>343352729
I don't care about gun laws one way or another because I'm from a civilized country but having guns in Subnautica is probably better for balance sake.
>>
>>343353232
I'm not saying you should be able to make a machine gun or shit like that, but stuff like a harpoon gun would be appropriate to setting, slow and clunky enough to relegate it to last resort or task use, and thanks to the devs logic never in the game.
>>
>>343352350
>America has school shootings every day. Every. Single. Day.
But that is just factually incorrect.

>Yet for reasons I cannot understand
SHALL NOT
>>
>>343352446
>>343352729
>>343352897
>>343353094
>>343353232

Don't forget the part where thats a only one Devs opinion and the other devs don't give a fuck. They are already testing a trap system where you can crush a reaper with a boulder.
>>
>>343351231
>I have one of those toaster pcs that keeps allowing me to say "wow it runs better than I expected even on my toaster". Well, that's not the case with Subnautica. It runs between 30 and 50 fps on low (which is visually acceptable to me although the surface water looks jagged and there's some bad textures) but still get drops into single digit pretty frequently.

Then I suggest you skip The Forest. Your computer will struggle on low settings, probably won't even hit 30fps max.
>>
>>343352350

lmao, giant nope from me.

Not even a fuckign end-game harpoon gun

the fuck ?
>>
>>343348968

I'm actually really curious if the Forest is in decent shape now. I played it maybe a year ago via Steam sharing on a friend's copy, and while I appreciated that it was one of the very few solo-friendly survival games, it was also super fucking busted.

Long Dark is playable and functional but also really boring and easy to reach "Survived" state, then you just have to play another 90 hours slowly wearing down all the resources on the map.

Haven't got Subnautica. Heard good things but it sounds like it's another survival game like Long Dark where you run out of shit too fast to be worth the $12 or whatever it costs.
>>
>>343353757
Dude dont lie, I know the statement you are referring to and they say that is something that may never make it into the game but are trying to use it as justification for not adding a spear gun.
>>
>>343353757

> boulder

> gun

those aren't the same.
>>
File: 1463014780312.jpg (20 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
1463014780312.jpg
20 KB, 500x404
>>343352350
Wow, this is as bad as CA taking blood and gore out of Total War Warhammer and then selling it as a DLC
>It's a feature
>>
Subnautica. Sometimes the devs are retarded, yeah, but the game is striding towards the right direction. Very slowly.
But what's in there will already give you many good hours of FUN and terror.

Just do yourself a favour and figure shit out ingame, don't google too much so the illusion of size lasts more.

Example of devs being retarded: they made sure fish did not respawn. Never. "It makes the game easy and we want the player to move.

Too fucking bad for having a completely empty aquarium after 5 hours of game time because predators ate all the prey and then went to fuck off and die somewhere, to never respawn. Too fucking bad about any kind of sea threat that just dies once and leaves you perfectly safe for the rest of the game.

Luckily they JUST changed that, to what extent I don't know, but fish does respawn.
>>
>>343348968
Is subnautica really that good? I'm trying to decide whether I want it or project zomboid
>>
>>343348968
I haven't played Subnautica but I've watched a few let's plays of it.
The Forest I pirated and played a bit of way back when it came out.
The Long Dark I pirated and played, and later bought.

The problem with all of these games is that survival (and crafting), by itself, isn't compelling past reaching steady-state survival. That might be 10 or 20 hours while you explore and figure things out, after which there's very little point in continuing.

You might say 10 or 20 hours is a perfectly fine amount of time for a game to last for, but the problem is it doesn't feel satisfying - there's no sense of completion or closure. The challenge just falls off and you lose interest.

The only reason I purchased The Long Dark was for its challenge modes, which provide that sense of completion on top of the challenge, and for the promised future story mode. I have more faith in the TLD devs to deliver than I do The Forest devs, at this point.
>>
>>343355602

Zomboid is vaporware they've been floating for 5 or 6 years now. They keep promising super cereal NPC AI which will do shit similar to fucking free Rogue Survivor for years now with nothing to show, but it's coming friends! Buy a copy and tell everyone about us on social media! Pip pip cheerio!
>>
>>343355602
>project zomboid
I wouldn't bother with Zomboid until they add other survivors in.
>>
>>343355602
I own project zomboid, I'd suggest only getting that over subnautica if you REALLY REALLY love zombies, and the idea of autist survival simulator.

But i'm in the same boat with subnautica, I can't tell how much of this is /v/ hyperbole and how much of it is legit. /v/ told me dragon's dogma was good, and that game got refunded in an hour and 30 minutes for me.
>>
>>343355961
And they're basically using Bethe$da tactics by letting the mod community create the content. Then the devs take that content and add it to their game. They even have a condition in the terms of agreement, where they reserve the right to use ALL of the mod, and the mod creators have zero say and won't receive compensation or credit for any of their work.
>>
File: long dark playtime.png (71 KB, 361x291) Image search: [Google]
long dark playtime.png
71 KB, 361x291
I dream of meeting someone who likes this game as much as me. It's not for everyone.
>>
>>343348968
I've played all three of those

Subnautica puts survival on the backburner, its more of an adventure/exploration sort of game with a survival/hardcore aspect

the Forest was alright but has had so little in the way of updates and is a bit dissapointing

the Long Dark is the best if you want a true pure survival experience, also the most difficult of the three

haven't played Rust so can't comment

I'd say subnautica atm is the best of those three but only by a tiny bit, the long dark is very good but I just like the deep sea setting for its novelty
>>
File: 8373292.jpg (147 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
8373292.jpg
147 KB, 1024x768
>>343356235
>>343355961
>tfw I have 61 minutes in it and valve told me to go fuck myself.

I should have done more research into the personality of the devs. I saw all the upcoming content and believed it was something that was on the way asap.
>>
>>343356235

Yeah, I noticed the vast majority of their "Content updates" was making mods official. Sorta sounds like a Starbound situation, but after a few years I got too fucking sick of keeping track of Zomboid. My only comfort is I bought in super early when it was $6-8 or some shit, but I'll never get a game out of it.
>>
>>343356404
Yeah, I got lucky and picked it up for like $5 when it was on sale. The game is an autism tester. Give it to your kids, and if they become obsessed with it then you know they're autistic.
>>
>>343348968
Don't forget Ark. For all the shit that's wrong with it it still is getting consistently updated and has a ton to do. If you edit the launch option and run it with low memory it actually runs pretty well.

I just fucking hate how grindy the base game is.
>>
Call me when any one of those are finished so I can try them out.
>>
>>343352729
>>343352446
only that one dev
the rest of them added weapons (torpedoes for the sub) and he had a fit

guns would ruin the aesthetic of the game, the torpedoes and stasis rifle are fine
>>
File: pz.png (38 KB, 254x123) Image search: [Google]
pz.png
38 KB, 254x123
>>343356404
>>343356429
>>343356556
I don't even know how I got that many hours on it. I did play on a friends server for a while, but it certainly wasn't that long.
>>
>>343356558
>ARK
Barely runs. CPU vampire piece of shit. Dino level scaling is horrible. Game is a fucking time leech.
>>
>>343356864
Set launch option to "-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10 -nomansky -novsync". Doubled my fps and still looks decent. Not amazing, but still better than 7days2die and shit.

I mostly play with friends on a local host with the settings cranks for maximum dicking around. They really missed out on not making everything easy to make easy to destroy and just gone full chaos. Instead of making it take a full weekend to get a house built with default settings.
>>
File: TLD_.jpg (41 KB, 403x606) Image search: [Google]
TLD_.jpg
41 KB, 403x606
>>343356319
I hear ya brother.

TLD isn't for everyone, but those of us who 'get' it really really fall in love with it
>>
>>343352350
While this is a terrible reason, I have to admit a lot of things would break the context of the game. Barring a harpoon gun, no other gun really fits in the game.

They already have a stasis rifle and torpedo launcher on the sub though, so it's not that there are no weapons.

A lot of people are just jumping ship when they see this image. It's still a neat game, been around for enough deep sea threads to see that this is the closest we've gotten to one of them, and the fact people are dropping it for SJW boogiemen is kind of a shame.
>>
none

ark
>>
>>343357663
I'm with you. Fits the mood better not being able to just power your way through shit guns blazing like most of these become. I'd rather have it stay tense.
>>
>>343353418
A harpoon gun would be clunky, outdated technology. It wouldn't fit into the theme of the game. You have a fucking star trek replicator. They are adding lethal weapons like turrets, more missiles, etc.
>>
>>343352350
>America has school shootings every day. Every. Single. Day.
lol citation needed
>>
File: 1373502985005.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
1373502985005.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>343357613
You're alright.

How would you describe your style? Do you prefer to hole up in one area or have lots of little safe houses or just pure nomad? Do you prefer bow or rifle?
>>
File: tld 2016-06-28 21-39-20-73.jpg (146 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tld 2016-06-28 21-39-20-73.jpg
146 KB, 1600x900
>>343358331
I tend to make a safehouse in each region and hole up there for 20 or 30 days at a time, usually the ranger office in ML, the petrol station in CH, the lighthouse in DP and the farmhouse in PV

My main game is 208 days and I've been playing that same savegame since way before bows were introduced, so I've benefitted from unusual bugs along the way, so I recently started a new stalker game to experience intestinal parasites mechanic.

>bow or rifle?
rifle early game, and for bears and deer, rest of the time bow for self defence
>>
has zomboid really just taken mods and made them their updates?
>>
>>343358696
I'm literally on day 208 stalker as well on my main game that's been around since launch. I've hauled loot from all 5 maps to Trapper's Homestead, which is where I've mostly stayed. Currently re-exploring all the maps to find skill books with the new patch. I've got water / firewood stockpiles in most of the major buildings so that I can explore everything again whenever they add more content.

Actually got intestinal parasites by accident for the first time 2 game days ago. 20 antibiotics down the drain, it's incredibly harsh.
>>
>>343356771
Do you regret it?
>>
>>343356319
>>343357613
What is it about the game that makes it so appealing? I'm tempted to grab subnautica over it solely because it's underwater.
>>
File: tld 2016-06-27 17-04-07-32.jpg (70 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tld 2016-06-27 17-04-07-32.jpg
70 KB, 1600x900
>>343359097
>Actually got intestinal parasites by accident for the first time 2 game days ago. 20 antibiotics down the drain, it's incredibly harsh.

It can be harsh alright, I ate 2 pieces of wolf meat per day giving me a 4% chance per day to contract them and did so after 3 days which was fucking gay.

But now that I've found some meds and reishi mushrooms I've a stockpile to see me through 2 more infections if I get them, now I just eat 1 piece of wolf meat per day since it pretty much delivers itself to me when I go outside anyway.

I would rather they left them in voyager mode, that's why I had to start a new stalker game

>>343359272
It's beautiful and it's lonely, and it's harsh
>>
File: lake overlook.png (2 MB, 1616x938) Image search: [Google]
lake overlook.png
2 MB, 1616x938
>>343359272
It's a no bullshit survival game. No gimmick, no story.

You are a plane crash survivor stranded in rural Canada. Everything electrical has stopped working for unknown reasons, there aren't any living people left, only corpses, again for no reason. But you have no way of ever finding out why because you're trapped in the wilderness. Basically all elements of the story are stripped out except pure survival, which pulls you into it. Staying warm, repairing your clothes, avoiding wolves, making it back to your base just in time before a huge snowstorm, all these basic things are challenging and make it actually feel like a struggle. The atmosphere, the emptiness and loneliness and the fucking beautiful art direction just make it fun to get lost in. Just when you want a chill game to drown everything else, and the fact that you have to focus to make it really pulls you into the game. I know I sound like a shill but I just love this game.

DESU I'm not sure why people are waiting for story mode because I just have this gut feeling like it's going to be melodrama shit that 'makes you think about your life' while the core sandbox gameplay already makes you do that through the actual gameplay and mechanics.
>>
File: sharks.jpg (122 KB, 564x1811) Image search: [Google]
sharks.jpg
122 KB, 564x1811
>>343359272
get subnautica

both are great but subnautica is better tb.h
>>
>>343359473
>>343359907
So are there only wolves to worry about or are there other enemies? Is there a time limit of some sort where you have to always be rushing or is it at a chill pace?
>>
So I got Subnautica and started playing it yesterday.
Everything ran smoothly and it played fine.
Suddenly, I try to play it today, and the framerate is shit out of nowhere to the point where I'm just playing a slideshow.
Wat do?
>>
File: tld 2016-06-25 19-18-05-61.jpg (47 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tld 2016-06-25 19-18-05-61.jpg
47 KB, 1600x900
>>343361437
Your enemies are
>cold
>hunger
>thirst
>exhaustion
>disease and infection
>wolves
>bears
>storms

As for wildlife, there's wolves, bears, deer, rabbits and fish you can catch. The pacing depends on the difficulty setting, but regardless of that things tend to be frantic for the first 20 days or so as you try and gather supplies, acquire better clothes and feed yourself.

After you've got yourself in a comfy position it's time to go nomad and set up another home somewhere else, the need to constantly acquire new supplies will push you to move house semi frequently
>>
Long Dark's the best survival game by a mile, it's brutal

Forest is a great base builder

Subnautica's an okay diving game but nothing else
>>
>>343361437
There are bears too.
I think they actually added a new gamemode recently where a near invincible bear hunts you through the different maps until you escape or something.
>>
File: 20160630103439_1.jpg (345 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
20160630103439_1.jpg
345 KB, 1680x1050
FISH! in a tank
>>
>>343361781

Did they ever expand on the rape dungeon angle of the Forest? Can you capture mutants and have your way with them or anything?
>>
File: tld 2016-06-27 23-21-26-12.jpg (82 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tld 2016-06-27 23-21-26-12.jpg
82 KB, 1600x900
>>343361785
He is invincible and hunts you all the way across 3 maps until you make it to the hunter's lodge, where you'll find a special rifle that can kill him
>>
>>343361876
Dunno, I haven't actually played in a while
>>
>>343361865

>Aquarium in a submarine on an ocean world

Does your depravity know no bounds?
>>
>>343359091
Yes. Look at their weekly news, it's always featuring work being done by modders. The erosion effects and tree regrowth along with the overhauled weather system was made by a modder and put into the game. The modder got nothing for it, and the devs still charge full price.

>>343359127
>Do you regret it?
I spend every waking moment regretting my decisions.
>>
>>343361928
That sounds really fun. The bear isn't too OP is it? Is he like Jason where it's just constantly walking in your direction non stop or what?
>>
>>343352350
>all the liberals who failed to defend Sandy Hoax last thread and decided to ruin the thread instead
I will never understand spineless faggots who just eat up everything they're given at face value.
>>
>>343361656
Bump for this?
I've been looking forward to playing it all day but I can't now.
>>
File: tld 2016-01-17 20-59-26-75.jpg (73 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tld 2016-01-17 20-59-26-75.jpg
73 KB, 1600x900
>>343362373
I never actually played it, or any of the challenges to be honest. I stick to the sandbox mode
>>
Subnautica is definitely the best
The forest is probably second but honestly gets boring quick
The long dark is nice as an idea but it gets very boring quicker than the others
I've heard good things about 7 days to die but I just couldn't get into it. Felt very very alpha-y to me and the literal PS2 graphics didn't help.
>>
>>343362587
seems comfy
>>
>>343362587
damn, i want to play it, but i will just wait for the winter so i go full immersion mode
>>
>>343362373
When a bear mauls you, you have to watch a long first person cut scene of being dragged around and mauled while it brings you to 5% hp from 100%. You're also bleeding (losing more hp), clothes torn, and your inventory is scattered on the floor around you. Even has unique little elements like your rifle being half buried in the snow and stuff like that. Time also passes while you're passed out so there's a good chance you'll wake up in a storm or something, so it essentially means you need to patch yourself up and escape in minutes without running into wolves or you're done for. Made harder because at low hp your vision is blurred and your character staggers and can't walk straight.

The bear challenge automatically starts you having just survived a mauling at 5%, and this particular bear is invincible and will chase you anywhere in the game.
>>
>>343359907
>I'm not sure why people are waiting for story mode
Once I've seen what there is to see, 'just surviving' isn't enough for me. I need some goal to work towards, and a sense of closure at the end of it.
>>
>>343363425
That's when I usually play it.
Wrapped up in blankets with the lights off and a cup of hot tea.
>>
>>343363596
>just surviving' isn't enough for me. I need some goal to work towards, and a sense of closure at the end of it.

That's what makes Long Dark a true survival experience to me. You're not surviving to be reunited with a lost love, save the human race from zombies, make it back to your home planet etc. You're surviving so that you live. You have to have the will to survive for it's own sake.
>>
>>343348968
>>343349203
Long Dark fucking sucks

There's basically no content, no building, minimal crafting and the "survival" is extremely unrealistic and boring (seriously I hunt a deer and it feeds me for half a day? fuck off) and you're punished for exploring too much

TLD is total trash, it's just a bad walking sim.
>>
File: 2016-02-18_22-45-41.png (103 KB, 286x288) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18_22-45-41.png
103 KB, 286x288
>>343362430
>can't have a conversation about anything without throwing your cuckservative beliefs in everyone's face

You're worse than vegans, holy shit.
>>
File: 2015-12-10_00001.jpg (307 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10_00001.jpg
307 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>343362373
The bear shows up and starts chasing you after you've been outside for a little while, so you have kind of haul ass outside. He can't follow you inside buildings/caves though, and you can drop food to distract him if you need some extra time.
>>
>>343349203
Then why did you mention The Forest?
>>
>>343354187
wait what
>>
File: sdfa.png (88 KB, 631x870) Image search: [Google]
sdfa.png
88 KB, 631x870
>>343364254
>>
>>343364254
TW:W base game doesn't have blood and gore. The devs took it out claiming they wanted it to have a PG rating, and the B&G would push it up to M. Instead of making it a free DLC, which it should have been, they're trying to make money out of it.

It's on steam now. Nobody should have to pay for something that should be in the base game.
>>
>>343364175
the forest is alright, I've been playing it casually, I can see it getting boring solo after a while but it gives you the most freedom in playstyles I've seen out of these types of games

For $10 I think it's worth it
>>
>>343352350
Ok, honestly I love survival games without weapons because you feel more helpless. That would be a good reason. That's why I like Penumbra.

But to say there's school shootings everyday and crap? That's lame.

But I'm also against guns in general. It's an outdated right.
>>
File: with-jews-you-lose.jpg (92 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
with-jews-you-lose.jpg
92 KB, 500x555
>>343364453
>>
File: 2015-01-01_00004.jpg (633 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-01_00004.jpg
633 KB, 1680x1050
>>343364574
yeah chopping wood get boring fast
>>
>>343364542
>Nobody should have to pay for something that should be in the base game.

This is the most "should have been in the base game" anything has ever been
>>
>>343364095
Stop getting so triggered by obvious bait and poisoning threads, douchebag.
He won't respond if you don't.
>>
>>343364542
their logic makes sense desu

parent buys kid a game kid can just download the free dlc to make it gory as hell

dlc is paid, kid has to ask parent to buy it for them, parent says no
>>
File: 20160630161946_1.jpg (218 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
20160630161946_1.jpg
218 KB, 1680x1050
>>343364603
your life is a outdated right, communist
>>
I'm interested in which survival game with persistent servers is the best? I want something where I can build a base etc.

Ark seems to have absolutely fucking horrible building, and 7 days to die has nice building (voxel blocks so you can dig and terraform and whatever you want) but apparently servers are crappy KoS hacker bullshit.

Is there a good combination of the two?
>>
>>343364678
It's still a lot faster paced than most games this genre

It's Hotline Miami speedrun fast compared to TLD though.

Seriously if you want to play a really slow walking sim just play Everyone's Gone to the Rapture or something instead
>>
>>343364603
>baiting this hard
I see the shitposters from the last Subnautica thread have finally arrived
>>
File: laughing.jpg (117 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
117 KB, 700x465
>>343350295
>Koolekt Vood
>>
>>343352350
>One where we are not at the top of the food chain
Is this supposed to be a good thing? Why doesn't he just throw himself into a shark tank then?
>>
>>343364603
Penumbra totally has weapons

you beat those fuckin wolves to death
>>
>>343348968
Did the long dark ever shit out its promised story mode?

When I bought it way back devs were moving at snail speed
>>
>>343350295
>kollect vood
>"NO!"
>vut?
>>
>buy subnautica
>start it up
>new game
>black screen
>wait 10 minutes
>try again and get the same result
>uninstall and refund
Great game!
>>
>>343365481
more like you have a shit pc
>>
>>343365481
it warns you not to play it on a toaster
>>
>>343365481
>blaming the game for your mental deficiencies
>>
>>343365481
Works on my school shooting hoax.
>>
>>343365551
>>343365564
Oh well. Thankfully I'm upgrading onto a completely new rig in about a month. Guess I'll try it then.
>>
File: 1YAYQvFWmsfpBaW.jpg (68 KB, 399x512) Image search: [Google]
1YAYQvFWmsfpBaW.jpg
68 KB, 399x512
>Playing Subnautica
>get a bit bored scavenging
>go Creative mode and head to the lowest depths possible

>nothing there
>one glowing tree
>flat textures for kms
>no life

Disappointing
>>
I really hope subnautica gets more base building content

It's really upsetting that Fallout 4 completely outclasses every non-minecraft style survival game in that regard with the settlement building
>>
>>343351325
>something starts actively hunting you
Oh no...
Oh no!
OH NO!
>>
>>343365286
no it's still not out
>>
>>343365850
that sort of happens in the forest

the inhabitants don't know you exist by default and can report your camp(s) to the others
>>
>>343366202
Oh, I thought he meant subnautica.
Reaper Leviathans are already enough to make me shit myself when they look in my general direction. I don't need something above them on the food chain coming to get me.
>>
>>343364848
>I'm interested in which survival game with persistent servers is the best? I want something where I can build a base etc.
>
>Ark seems to have absolutely fucking horrible building, and 7 days to die has nice building (voxel blocks so you can dig and terraform and whatever you want) but apparently servers are crappy KoS hacker bullshit.
>
>Is there a good combination of the two?
halp
>>
I just want a good survival game that actually has an end goal to work towards. All these games are in early access or have no real reason for you to keep dicking around beyond "survive." I want closure god damn it.
>>
File: 450.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
450.webm
2 MB, 720x405
My first base
>>
File: 358.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
358.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>343366862
My second
>>
>>343364095
>Guy posts a dev having a liberal belief
>Other anon posts his non-liberal in response
>'OMG FUCKING KEKSERAVATIVES POSTING THEIR BELIEFS OMG"
>>
>>343368073
spooky
>>
>>343352350
Suddenly i dont want this anymore
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.