[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Greatest Castlevania of all time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 44
File: image.png (1011 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1011 KB, 4096x3584
ITT: Greatest Castlevania of all time
>>
yeah rondo of blood was pretty great, just a shame there's no translation patch for the story

music is pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlayiIBH75o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KooOVOAjA
>>
I SAID WHIP IT
>>
Rondo is the definition of mediocre and excels in no area whatsoever

Literally only popular because of MUH SOTN shitters.

It's the best non NES mainline classic castlevania though I'd say
>>
>>343325502
>but muh SNES
Super Castlevania IV is casual shit and the worst game ever.
>>
I have a modded Wii. Where should I start with Castlevania?
>>
File: 1464673078334.jpg (114 KB, 900x637) Image search: [Google]
1464673078334.jpg
114 KB, 900x637
>>343325701
I agree it's casual and barely even a castlevania game, which is why I said Rondo was better than it, what's the issue? I said the NES games were good, not SNES.
>>
>>343325502
I think IV, X68000, and ReBirth are all better than Rondo. Depending on my mood I'd probably put Belmont's Revenge above it, even.
>>
File: maria-renard3.gif (7 KB, 173x196) Image search: [Google]
maria-renard3.gif
7 KB, 173x196
Actually tried to beat Dracula with Richter, literally impossible, who the fuck decided it was a good idea to make him so slow and big?
Maria on the other hand is fucking boss
>>
>>343324642
Dracula X Chronicles
>>
Astralia-kun, shouldn't you be sleeping?
>>
>>343326227
Are you me?
Maria mode is fun.
>>
>>343326140
Rebirth is actual garbage and I would honestly put it about on par or below 2. The level design is so fucking bad especially on hard where they clearly just gave up and decided 'put red skeletons everywhere lmao'. I don't really like 4 either. I feel it's too easy and relies more on spectacle than substance.

I agree X68000 though
>>
>>343326227
t. shitter who has only played Rondo and metroidvanias

Maria is basically cheating, the game isn't designed to handle her and she utterly trivialises every challenge.
>>
>>343325701
>Super Castlevania IV is casual shit and the worst game ever.
That's just wrong and you know it. Do you really hate the game solely because Arin thinks it's flawed?
>>
>>343324370
Classicvania probably in general aria hands down
>>
>>343326673
Face it grandpa, your games are old and busted. I don't expect a bunch of free item crashes, but dying because your character can barely jump and is knocked around like a piniata is not what you want from an action game. Mario isn't this unfair. Nor is Sonic. Nor is any other game with platforming. Even Ninja Gaiden is better, at least you can stick to walls there.
>>
File: sotn.jpg (421 KB, 2795x2802) Image search: [Google]
sotn.jpg
421 KB, 2795x2802
>>343324370
op here, meant to post this
>>
>>343326581
IV's level design actually has platforming. Rondo's
level design is frequently pretty flat and dull. IV's also harder than Rondo for me and always has been. Most of its "spectacle" is limited to one stage.

It's been awhile since I played through ReBirth, but its level design was more interesting than Rondo's from what I remember.
>>
>>343326227
>Actually tried to beat Dracula with Richter, literally impossible
Actually git gud casual waifu shitter.
>>
File: laughing_elf_man.jpg (9 KB, 191x264) Image search: [Google]
laughing_elf_man.jpg
9 KB, 191x264
>>343326972
wew lad
>>
File: bloodlines.jpg (173 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bloodlines.jpg
173 KB, 1280x720
Forget about me?
>>
>>343326972
The stiff jumps and high knock-back make it so that the player must be more deliberate with his movements. Nothing "unfair" about it. Not every game needs to play the same.
>>
>>343327103
4 also doesn't have as good presentation or replayabilty
>>
>>343327116
First phase you have to hit his head, okay not too hard, but richter can't duck and attack the fireballs since the middle one hits him, so you have to do pixel perfect jumps with well timed attacks, because sometimes they just don't work for no reason
In the second phase, you can't attack him because you're prioritizing not getting hit, because you can't fucking slide and your shitty backflip doesn't save you, so you're just avoiding attacks
I bet you didn't even play the game, let alone beat him with Richter, you dumb shitposter
>>
>>343326926
>>343325502
Not the guy you are replying to but seriously is SC4 is crap. it's boring it"s uninspired and way too easy.
>>
>>343327548
Christ you are awful at video games. All you have to do is jump and whip at the same time for Dracula's first form. For the second you just have to move when he jumps to avoid getting cornered. Combined with subweapons and the item crashes, it's not that hard whatsoever.
>>
>>343325913
For the classic ones, Castlevania IV.

For Metroidvania, Circle of the Moon

Then you can pick them to your hearts desires.
>>
File: 1450050377879.jpg (109 KB, 1050x682) Image search: [Google]
1450050377879.jpg
109 KB, 1050x682
Rondo>SCV4>CV3>Bloodlines>Rebirth>CV X68000>CV1>Dracula X>CV2:BR>CV2>CVA>CVL
>>
Unpopular opinion here, but I thought Circle of the Moon was the best Castlevania. It was atmospheric and stylish without being maudlin and overdone.
>>
>>343327406
>4 also doesn't have as good presentation
What the hell? The game is GORGEOUS for a SNES game and has a very distinct gothic atmosphere to its visuals. Bloodlines looks good and all but it's not as beautiful as IV.
>or replayabilty
What do you even mean by this? I never understood this "replayability" criticism. What's stopping you from replaying a game you like?
>>343327752
>it's boring
No
>it"s uninspired
Of course. That's why I like it. It's a simple tale of a guy who goes into a castle filled with monsters to kill Dracula. You can't get any simpler and sweeter than that. Castlevania games don't need plot.
>and way too easy.
It's not too easy, it's just fair and well designed. It's a game you can keep playing and never get bored with.
>>
>>343328124
>Bloodlines
FUCK meant Rondo of Blood. I always mix the two up because they both have blood in their name.
>>
>>343328229
>I always mix the two up because they both have blood in their name.

Its actually Akumajo Dracula X you pleb
>>
File: castlevania_chronicles_002.jpg (20 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
castlevania_chronicles_002.jpg
20 KB, 300x225
>>343324370

I love IV better. Despite what the Arin cocksuckers say.

Same with Castlevania chronicles. Whipping in different directions is where it should've kept going. Same with using sub weapons omnidirectional.
>>
>>343328014
CVIII/AkuDens > CV > X68k > SCIV > ReBirth > BR > Rondo > Bloodlines > DX > Adventure > Legends

Give or take depending on mood.
>>
File: 1.png (16 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
1.png
16 KB, 256x224
>>343324642
>just a shame there's no translation patch for the story
for FUGS sake have you people been living under a rock?
The DXC translation is 100% but dedicated modders have taken the PSP's localization and made a fan patch for the original game INCLUDING the glorious cheesy dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXg9AhsLXAg
Downloads are in the description.
It's a 99% translation, the only things that aren't translated are death's grunts during his fight and the credits.

The download I posted comes bundled with it's own custom frontend for mednafen's PC-Engine emulator and the rom files. You can extract the rom files and run it on your own emulator like Retroarch (like I do) too or just grab the patch here and apply it yourself: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13549.220.html
>>
>>343325502
>excels in no area whatsoever

music and boss fights
>>
>>343328462
This. Castlevania 4 was a step in the right direction, not backwards like Arin says. The old Castlevania games are good and all, but they only have bad controls because of limitations, not because it's a conscious design choice. Konami worked around this however by having great level design. Castlevania 4's implementation of the 8 whipping directions isn't perfect of course, but it could have lead to greater things with the later games being built around the far more fluent controls. Point is good control is a GOOD thing, no matter what anyone says.
>>
>>343328462
>everyone who disagrees with me is a sheep who parrots ecelebs!
Ebin. SC4 is flawed because enemies clearly weren't designed with 8 directional whipping in mind and can often be dispatched without a fighting chance.
>>
>>343328462
>>343328741
>muh arin
god shut the fuck up
I'd bet you bitches would like mega man better if he could shoot in all directions too wouldn't you?
>>
I liked Lords of Shadow and I think I'm going to play it again soon. :)
>>
I haven't played -ALL- the way through Rondo yet (working on it), but it hasn't dethroned X68000 as my favorite classicvania. That game just has it all - mixture of baroque/gothic horror with cheesy "monster mash" villain roster, rocking soundtrack, and really challenging difficulty curve. It's the complete package - as long as you are playing the original and not the lacking "Arrange" mode in the PS1 port (OG all the way baby!). I have no clue why they even got rid of the completely fine-looking flame animations for destroying enemies/candles in Arrange mode and replaced them with tacky SOTN polygon effects.

I like Rondo a great deal though. The boss fights are incredibly stylish. The death battle in Rondo is so much cooler than the Death battle in SOTN - and you can say this for most of the recurring bosses between the two. Just watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QolUJ0PqI8o

It's over the top anime style, but that's Rondo's strength. See also: the Dark Priest called SHAFT:

https://youtu.be/NDmI2kJW448?t=176
(2:56)

>>343327326
Very underrated game, mostly because no one has played it (why no VC port?). Some of the animations are sloppy but it's a damn good game.

Also note that Morris's whip is tickling that zombie's cock, while the zombie's stretch-Armstrong hand is reaching towards Morris's own dick. What was going on in this artist's subconscious?
>>
File: What is a Man.png (1 MB, 4096x3312) Image search: [Google]
What is a Man.png
1 MB, 4096x3312
>>343327070
This.
>>
>>343328854
Why not? If the game is built around it I would be fine with it.
>>
>>343326673
Nah, Maria is a better playable character than Richter. She doesn't walk like a she has a broomstick up her butt, she can actually double-jump, and her primary attack is much more speedier. I find hard going to back to Richter mode after playing as her.

>>343326926
>>343328462
>>343328741
Who is Arin?

>inb4 one of those Internet celebrity
>>
>>343328854
Well they fixed megaman with X . Unlike castlevania 5 which went back to the shit combat of the originals.
>>
>>343328014
Ben Garrison here knows the truth

>>343328995
>posting metroidvania in a classicvania thread
>>
>>343329035
it's hard to take seriously your assessment if you think the Castlevanias have "shit combat." What, does Ghouls n' Ghosts have "shit combat" too, because you have a set jump arc? Ludicrous.
>>
File: 1443926948532.jpg (52 KB, 322x600) Image search: [Google]
1443926948532.jpg
52 KB, 322x600
>>343325502
Rondo is the most A E S T H E T I C Castlevania and has the most gothic-mythic feel out of all of them. The tone is set with the dark gothic intro with the maiden being sacrificed. It's the one that feels the most like you're stepping into a myth (aside from the 80s anime cutscenes.) The others have great sound and visuals but are more stylized and less genuine.
>>
>>343329375
>Ghouls n' Ghosts
>Good
haha what? gtfo capcom fag.
>>
Just fucking listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0UjAQIX6E
>>
>>343328741
> The old Castlevania games are good and all, but they only have bad controls because of limitations, not because it's a conscious design choice.
the fuck are you talking about? There were NES games before and after castlevania that had way "better" controls. Shit ninja gaiden is basically just castlevania but with jump/attack that aren't terrible and yet castlevania 3 still has the same controls as castlevania 1

You say that konami made good levels to get around the bad controls, but it's actually the opposite in that the very deliberate pace of everything you can do in castlevania that lets them have that good level design, A game with castlevania 4 controls simply can't be made a good game because you can own everything with 8 direction whip and besides that all you have are gimmicks like swinging on poles (which would turn castlevania into a pure platformer instead of a sidescrolling action game)
>>
>>343329383
But Rondo has the best sound too
>>343329545
Best track coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6PC3z-BLA
>>
>>343329023
>If the game is built around it I would be fine with it.
It would be but IV wasn't and you can tell because all the subweapons become useless thanks to the OP whip. Why even have the subweapons?
>>
>>343328741
The controls in the old games aren't bad or due to limitations. Even if it were something serendipitous (which is quite possible) they stuck with it for a reason and designed the games around it. Even games released after IV maintained some degree of the original's rigidity, and do you really think that they just couldn't figure out more flexible controls? Really? Despite many other action games working differently? The guys that worked on Bloodlines also did things like Contra and Rocket Knight, for example. You are clueless.
>>
>>343328694

And visuals.
>>
>>343329723
Also best version of Bloody Tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWW0PTkjR8
>>
>>343327070
That is quite literally Dracula X2 the sequel to Rondo.
They are brothers so there is no need to fight :3
>>
>>343324370
Portrait of ruin is the best castlevania game

It takes elements from basically every single game in the series people like and tosses them together, in particular it's the only metroidvania that tries to have the difficulty and actual level design of the classic games.

The only real flaw with it is the anime artstyle but that's only in the cutscenes (you can skip) and everything in the actual game is anime free because 90% of the sprites are reused. Oh, and I guess the voice acting can get a little annoying.
>>
>>343330309
I liked it, I just wasn't fond of the character change mechanic. I know it was meant for co-op but by yourself it's not that great.
>>
>>343329864
>You are clueless.
someone whose only joy comes from trolling fans of 20+ year-old games. IE, a faggot.

>>343330052
good but not my favorite. That goes to Chronicles' CM-64 ver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2QvovvuH0
>>
>>343330309
Portrait of Ruin is so poor in level design that it reuses it's own maps.

Order of Ecclesia puts it to shame in almost every way, including final boss.
>>
>>343330309
I think PoR is the best DS Castlevania by a nose but it has major issues.

The villain is super lame and the character switching thing is kind of pointless and awkward.

It also really sloppily and clumsily reuses sprites at certain points. Like, more clumsily than any other Castlevania aside from 360.

Definitely not the most aesthetic.
>>
>>343330596
Everything before the castle was boring as fuck in OoE
>>
>>343329690
>A game with castlevania 4 controls simply can't be made a good game because you can own everything with 8 direction whip and besides that all you have are gimmicks like swinging on poles (which would turn castlevania into a pure platformer instead of a sidescrolling action game)
Just kill yourself please. You have no idea what constitutes a good and fun game.
>>343329792
Wow you're totally not parroting Arin or anything. Allow me to debunk your shitty argument: The subweapons are NOT useless. They are SUBWEAPONS. Your whip SHOULD be the most powerful weapon at your disposal, not the secondary items you carry. Sub-weapons like the boomerang and knife are very useful. Admittedly the only "useless" one I can think of is holy water.
>>343329864
>The guys that worked on Bloodlines also did things like Contra
Game didn't even have amazing controls though so I don't know you're going on about
>and Rocket Knight, for example
Yes a SNES game, not a NES game. That's the biggest difference.
>>
>>343330732
Maybe Dawn of Sorrow is the best. I don't even get why people don't like it.

It has Gergoth for fucks sake.
>>
>>343330596
Order of Ecclesia's level design is frequently pretty shit too. Nice aesthetic variety, though.
>>
>>343330309
>Portrait of ruin is the best castlevania game
Fuck no. It's not even the best Castlevania for DS (That would be either OoE or DoS).
>>343330813
Don't forget Zephyr.
>>
>>343325913
Castlevania 4, Castlevania 1, Castlevania Bloodlines, Castlevania Rondo of Blood for classicvanias
>>
>>343330456
There's only one boss that you want to swap characters for and even then you can beat 'em without it. It lets them reference castlevania 3 and include twice as much stuff for you to collect. There's also a bunch of tricks using the system, it lets them design encounters with more depth by having specific characters have an advantage in certain areas/rooms (or making you swap constantly, like against most bosses) if you want to do things effectively and it also introduces lots of potential replay value.

>>343330596
The repeated levels are a bit of a shame, yes, although the backgrounds aren't a 1-1 repeat but just the same tileset.

However that doesn't matter because the actual level design is much different in all of them. Portrait of ruin's repeated levels are better then Ecclesias straight lines with skeletons blocking the way any day.

Also you're gonna tell me that OoE final boss is better then fighting death and dracula at the same time? OoE final boss was neat but you kinda just spam magic at him and then eventually you use the instant win plot glyph.

>>343330686
>The villain is super lame
He has a really fun boss fight and hammy voice acting, what's not to like? You play castlevania for the deep plot?

> the character switching thing is kind of pointless and awkward.
Couldn't be further from the truth, if you want to be good at this game instead of just derping around you need to be swapping characters constantly

>It also really sloppily and clumsily reuses sprites at certain points.
>Definitely not the most aesthetic.
This is a fair point but they reused tons of enemies because it was an anniversary game and they wanted lots of throwbacks, same reason you can unlock richter, same reason the game has a bunch of references to bloodlines, ect ect.

>>343330924
good argument
>>
>>343330743
>You have no idea what constitutes a good and fun game.
In an action game like castlevania you want challenging enemies/encounters, things you don't have when you can just spam a gigantic whip in any direction that stuns enemies on contact.

Why are you pretending that every NES game controlled like castlevania?
>>
>>343330743
RK was a Genesis game (though it had a SNES sequel). But my point is that even games released after IV maintained the stiffer controls (like X68000 and Bloodlines, as well as ReBirth), indicating it was intentional--especially given the same teams demonstrated use of different control styles elsewhere. Like in Rocket Knight.

Even the NES had plenty of action games with more flexible controls, including Konami's own Contra series. It was common. Konami's designers and programmers would have been more than familiar with it, especially by the time of III. But they kept it. Because it was purposeful and the games were designed around it.
>>
File: RetroArch-0518-095458.png (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0518-095458.png
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>343328672
>>
File: tumblr_mrlqe1YFo11s3urmmo1_400.gif (263 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrlqe1YFo11s3urmmo1_400.gif
263 KB, 320x240
>>343330596
>Not finding this hype
>>
>>343324642
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlayiIBH75o
good shit, i wish the game wasn't so bullshit expensive so i could get my hands on the cartridge
>>
File: CVBloodlines_title.png (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
CVBloodlines_title.png
6 KB, 256x224
>>343327070

SotN is the best game overall.

Best Classicvania is pic related though.
>>
>>343331852
Bad taste.
>>
>>343330052
Konami Kukeiha Club are in my opinion the best videogame composers of all time,they made fantastic music with every soundchip they worked with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0bIidrXm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4HhvGk4Uhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLsolltIJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-t3UOemow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCXhfUqU88
>>
>>343331852
this is a cool game but I barely even consider it a classicvania because the whip character is so fucking bad compared to the spear guy
>>
>>343331327
>>343331756
The concept sounds nice, but the fight was pretty lackluster and had no build up.

Only memorable part was the crushing hands.
>>
Odallus was a pretty gud Castlevania
>>
>>343330813
>I don't even get why people don't like it.
seals

worst grinding in the whole series because drop rates are worse to encourage online trading

finding cool stuff for exploring is limited compared to other games because of weapon crafting

magic seals

because its just aria of sorrow two the novelty of the concept wore off and people realized the flaws it has, like how insanely easy it is to break these games

it was the game that introduced the generic anime artstyle so everyone got really mad

it's a cool game but personally I consider it the weakest of the DS games
>>
File: Guitar Solo.png (965 KB, 4096x3312) Image search: [Google]
Guitar Solo.png
965 KB, 4096x3312
>That guitar solo

so Godlike.
>>
File: Dracula third form.jpg (199 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dracula third form.jpg
199 KB, 1920x1080
>>343327548
God if you're that much of a bitch his third form in the remake would absolutely ruin you.
>>
Well, i liked Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of sorro
>>
>>343332456
>It was a NES game so they had to make do with what they got.
>retard actually believes that Konami wasn't capable of making games with good controls on NES

Fuck they could have added so much more shit at the time but they didn't,you know why? Because Castlevania works well the way it is,if you want something """""""improved"""""" play the abortions like Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 or whatever 3D Castlevania.
>>343332841
>playing the remake
>>
>>343333446
>playing the remake
What of it fag munch? It's an enjoyable game that adds a lot of neat shit and includes the original for good measure.
>>
>>343332232
I've been wanting to check it out. Heard good things.
>>343332456
>It doesn't make these games better than IV.
You need to practice reading comprehension. That's not the argument. My argument is that the control style was intentional and always was, not merely the product of technical limitations. Many NES games controlled differently from Castlevania. Not as flexible to the degree of IV, but certainly many were more flexible than Castlevania. Including Contra.
>Not bad, but not great either.
Irrelevant.
>Basically your entire argument is shit you didn't say!
You're a brilliant mind. I don't care if you prefer IV. My posts in response were only debunking the sloppy, poorly researched idea that Castlevania controlled the way it did merely out of limitations. It was clearly a conscious design choice with deliberate function.

I like IV. More than Rondo and Bloodlines (both games that had more limited controls than IV despite coming out after it), even. That was never my point.
>>
>>343324370
Them smug posters on walls.
>>
File: cvbl-tit[1].gif (12 KB, 459x266) Image search: [Google]
cvbl-tit[1].gif
12 KB, 459x266
>>343325701
I don't think it's bad, but it is overrated. I can never make it all the way through because the levels and bosses bore me. Bloodlines was much more fun, even if it was shorter. Bloodlines also marked the Castlevania debut of composer Michiru Yamane, which is why it has some of the best music in the entire series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2l7ZC8i1Ck
>>
>>343324370
Rondo of Blood is definitely the best Classicvania. Best OST and spritework in the series. 90% of the sprites seen in SotN were taken from it. 3 is pretty close, and so is Bloodlines. 4 and 2 are shit, and 1 is incredibly dated.
>>
>>343333535
>and includes the original for good measure

Yes,that its saving grace.
>>
File: 1463857782551.jpg (363 KB, 1264x950) Image search: [Google]
1463857782551.jpg
363 KB, 1264x950
>>343330052

Finally a chance to post this.
>>
>>343333792
Please oh arbiter of good taste, tell us what's wrong with the remake that you should never ever play it at all.
>>
>>343333758
>and 1 is incredibly dated.
How do you figure?
>>
>>343331782

I like this one, senpai.

Not too intense but still gets me HYPE.
>>
ITT: Assmad anti-castlevania 4 fags who can't appreciate fun.
>>
>>343334260
its really fun mashing the whip button against enemies that barely do anything in a muted/dark as fuck looking game
>>
>>343332119
Just like Rondo
>>
>>343334425
Stay mad. Have fun with your inferior control scheme.
>>
File: 1447198667437.png (35 KB, 537x515) Image search: [Google]
1447198667437.png
35 KB, 537x515
>>343334018
Its a waste of time and a newfag trap,its pretty much Rondo with a worse soundtrack and shitty 2.5D graphics.

>>343331782
>cartridge
>>
>>343334260
I never could enjoy Castlevania IV, sorry.
But I have to admit that 'theme of Simon' is one of the best, if not the best castlevania soundtrack.
>>
>Sempai dracura in japan lmao!
Why do people like this game
>>
>>343329029
>I find hard going to back to Richter mode
I think you mean 'Castlevania Mode'

Go back to Megaman X fucking shitter
>>
>>343333758
>>343334060
Fuck you guys, 1 is fun as fuck
>>
>>343335305
I let it slide because Soma was actually just a foreign exchange student and not actually Japanese Dracula...that is until I realize that was actually just a made up localization thing. Fucking Japan and their vampire power fantasies.
>>
>>343334851
>newfag trap
What the fuck does this even mean.
>worse soundtrack
Oh so you're just a giant faggot then.
>>
>>343335369
My post was questioning the idea that the original is dated. Why are insult? I agree with you.

The first game remains one of my favorite Castlevania games.

>>343335305
Soul mechanic makes for a lot of variety and helps maintain a sense of progress, level design that's actually good compared to the other GBA games and the DS games, good pacing.
>>
>>343326227
backflips
>>
File: c_pr_dracula.jpg (16 KB, 224x245) Image search: [Google]
c_pr_dracula.jpg
16 KB, 224x245
>>343332841
Damn, Dracula looks so good in the remake. I've always preferred that design and PoR's to SotN and the original Rondo.
>>
DXC is worth playing for that kickass third dracula form alone
>>
>>343335695
>>343332841
samefag
>>
>>343335695
I like his moustache myself
>>
>>343335449
I hate that game i wish CoM would come in the GBA double pack instead of that shit
>>
>>343335449
Well the west doesn't seem to want western culture anymore, so I guess Japan can have it.
>>
File: Oh you.png (51 KB, 802x364) Image search: [Google]
Oh you.png
51 KB, 802x364
>>343335742
Adorable, anon.
>>
Let me ask you a question. I've played from Castlevania 1-3, Dracula X, SotN and both Lords of Shadow games. I love them all.
Which one is the worst castlevania according to you? I wanna play that one.
>>
File: 1452695378918.jpg (11 KB, 300x201) Image search: [Google]
1452695378918.jpg
11 KB, 300x201
>>343336065
>he went to the trouble of shopping an image
>>
>>343336224
Who are you?
>>
>>343336076
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFlAX9RJQM
Amiga Castlevania
>>
>>343336076
This one
>>343335305
>>
>>343336076
Play the GBA games. Circle of the Moon is hit or miss.
All the three NDS games are good, but Order of Ecclesia feels really weird until 2/3 or so.
>>
>>343336076
You already played LoS2
>>
>>343336076
Lords of Shadow
>>
>>343336017
But I don't want to play as some gay ass samurai slay the king of the oni or whatever I want to play as a manly man who whips demons and monsters to death.
>>
>>343336353
>>343336376
I liked these a lot. All the timeline scrambling was awful but the idea of the first Dracula actually being a Belmont gives you a background on why the Belmonts where destined to kill Dracula.
>>
>>343336076
Haunted Castle if you count that

If you want to count the 'real' castlevania games probably Castlevania 2 or Rebirth though both are controversial decisions. I cannot get over how ridiculous rebirth was. The whole game is designed around placing enemies in areas they can attack you but you can't attack them back, at least in time, and often fighting in conventional ways is meaningless due to red skeletons being everywhere, and if you fail to kill all 4 red skeletons on a platform with a single whip then it becomes impossible to control the platform and you're basically dead. Generally the game requires you to pretty much rote learn the 'right' way to beat every hazard because getting hit once or losing your rhythm puts you in a virtually salvageable situation because they just loved throwing shit tons of hazards into a small space you can't realistically handle due to respawns/red skeletons/unkillable hazards everywhere

I'm pretty sure they fucking knew it too because the game over screen is literally a laughing red skeleton

These issues are reduced on 'normal' mode I must admit, but hard mode is so fucking stupid that it really damaged my opinion of the game.
>>
>>343336506
I liked the Belmonts being Scottish as well, I didn't really understand the whole Romanian 'clan' thing and had always assumed they were foreign anyway based on their name
>>
>>343336717
I don't remember hard mode, but on normal I never had those issues. The game was more demanding than IV or Rondo, but it was never unfair. I like it a lot.
>>
>>343336874
Isn't Belmont a French surname?
>>
>>343337315
It's apparently Norman and common in England, it's definitely not Scottish though I have known Scottish people with that name
>>
>>343336076
There was one released for cell phones (pre-smartphone) that was probably pretty ass.
>>
>>343325701
worst part of SCIV is the fucking music
>>
File: 1466890647414.png (144 KB, 275x289) Image search: [Google]
1466890647414.png
144 KB, 275x289
>>343327548
>>
Classic Castlevania threads always end up with people saying that Castlevania IV is good and the others saying its bad.
Castlevania threads in general end up with classic against metroidvania.
Can't we all just get along?
Except for metroidvania fags of course, they can rot in hell.
>>
>>343337315

Ye they're named like that because of Jean Paul Belmondo
>>
>>343338201
There is nothing wrong with metroidvania but I think Classicvania is better.
>>
>>343324370
I'm playing Order of Ecclesia right now and I really enjoy it.

The bloodstained demo now seems more like Ecclesia HD to me than SOTN.
>>
File: iga.png (456 KB, 470x782) Image search: [Google]
iga.png
456 KB, 470x782
IGA a cute
>>
FUCKSTICKS

is this going to be the new 'New Vegas is better than Fallout 3' shitposting?

please just fucking stop, it's fine to like whatever castlevania you want
>>
>>343328974
>Morris's whip is tickling that zombie's cock, while the zombie's stretch-Armstrong hand is reaching towards Morris's own dick. What was going on in this artist's subconscious?
I think you are the one who should check in with their subconscious, anon. thats pretty hard to see unless you are looking for it
>>
>>343330026
And alternate character
>>
>>343332512
>drop rates are worse to encourage online trading
should i even bother trying to get merman meat in order of ecclesia? i've heard the only way to get it outside the insane 1% drop is getting lucky through online item trades, are those trade servers still up?
>>
>>343338436
wait what, do they japanese not have mac and cheese?

can't imagine growing up without that
>>
>>343338436
That's adorable
>>
>>343337835
I've always liked it. I guess if I were coming off 3/AkuDen for the first time and expecting the same amount of pumped up bangers I might have been disappointed.

I've always kinda liked the fact they went for ominous and atmospheric tracks. It's probably the reason SCIV feels like a completely different game to the rest of the early series more than anything. If it played like 3 it would probably be my favourite in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLcQg9XR8g

Also, Rondo of Blood's enviroments were boring as batshit to look at and ugly to boot compared to every other CV game released around that time and maria was a mistake.
>>
>>343338767
NDS servers have been dead for a long time, anon. And I doubt Wiimmfi supports Order of Ecclesia.
>>
>>343336076
I've probably played every GBA and DS one, as well as III

Since none of them were bad take your pick between CotM and AoS, because the GBA ones are a bit weaker than the DS ones in my opinion even if the DS ones have a few questionable decisions

Speaking of, which one do I play next?
>>
>>343339781
Did you like III? If so, play the original.
>>
File: ULUS10277_00035.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
ULUS10277_00035.png
1 MB, 1440x900
Dracula X Chronicles.I liked the cutscenes and added content.
but since this part of the fanbase is as bad the megaman's fanbase, and have a hard-on for outdated shit. they'll hate it for the sake of hating for not because muh old 2d sprite and lame Ryu clone
>>
Fuck Stage 4. I've spent 5 hours trying to beat it but I can't beat the fucking headless knight. Stuck on it on both Dracula X Chronicles Remake and Original and the Wii Virtual Console version. Still the best Castlevania though.
>>
>>343340276
I like the "puzzle" of figuring out the easier way to fight bosses and prefer getting my ass kicked over grinding, but there's something I don't quite like about the controls. How are they on the first game?
>>
>>343340343
I seriously hope that's just you putting an awful filter over it and not something inherent to the game
>>
>>343336076
I want to punch the staff for thinking that such atrocious level design was good. finished it yesterday. I hated travelling between the 2 castles
>>
>>343340343
>filters
>defending that abortion

Throw yourself into lava
>>
>>343340343
>and have a hard-on for outdated shit
Like what? People dislike DXC because it's sort of ugly. I think the game looks fine overall and I don't have any issue with it, but the original has great spritework and DXC's mediocre models and textures are lacking in comparison. I do like the fact in terms of art direction it's distinct from the original. Dracula's third form was a nice plus as was the vastly superior replacement for 5' (or was it 6'? Been awhile).
>>
>>343340638
More or less the same. Try IV or Rondo if you want controls that are a little more flexible. I prefer the stiffer controls myself, though.
>>
>>343340751
>>343340902
it is a random screenshot i found around granpas. and why you hated it? let me guess it is not your old sprite game?
>>343340964
RoB sprites already got outdated and are ugly. going b the fact that it was on psp and by the time it got released I doubt konami would like to make on sprites for it. because of the bigger resolution compared to the DS. If they are going to hate the game solely for it's graphics they're not much different than the megaman fans that keep jerking off to 8-bit shit and asking why capcom is rehashing the NES games for the millionth time, and asking 'WHY THERE'S NOT A NEW MM GAYME CASHCOM?"
>>
>>343342353
>RoB sprites already got outdated and are ugly.
Incorrect. The environments often look a little bland, but the character and enemy sprites all look great.
>>
>>343342541
save for large monsters and the bosses. they don't
>>
>>343342937
They're not any worse than the rest. I'd say it's the games larger sprites where it's visuals shine.
>>
>>343324370
Whatever else you can say about Rondo, it has some damn good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du2Gv93w0JU
>>
>>343343269
that is thing for many old games and 2D games in general. the larger enemeis got a better treatment because of their size, even with the inferior moveset and number of frames. meanwhile the little and standard size ones look just plain bad. turn off the filters and ZING. big squares everywhere.
>>
>>343329383
>It's the one that feels the most like you're stepping into a myth

You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
Hey is that guy who posted screenshots of Aria with tweaked the tweaked color palette using VBA-M around?

I forgot the settings he used. Pls somebody help.
>>
File: Trev1.jpg (10 KB, 105x133) Image search: [Google]
Trev1.jpg
10 KB, 105x133
>>343344238
>with tweaked the tweaked
I gotta lay off the coffee.
>>
File: nosferatu.jpg (299 KB, 1962x1258) Image search: [Google]
nosferatu.jpg
299 KB, 1962x1258
Reminder that Rondo fags are butthurt millennials born in 1997 who hate all the preceding Castlevanias because they were homages to those lame old horror movies they're too shallow / ignorant to watch and can only tolerate generic 80's anime aesthetic.
>>
>>343344151
>turn off the filters and ZING
They're never on to begin with
>>
>>343344217
Yeah I do, but you wouldn't get it. Kill yourself philistine.
>>
File: 1439244780531.jpg (789 KB, 2760x2717) Image search: [Google]
1439244780531.jpg
789 KB, 2760x2717
>>343344454
You're the one who doesn't get it faggot. Dark Souls accomplishes what you're pretending Rondo does far better, because DaS was inspired by actual myth and not bland 80's anime trash.
>>
>>343329383
>stepping into a myth
Honestly I don't think Castlevania takes itself seriously enough for that... maybe, out of the classic series Super CV 4 does that particularly well because it dials a lot back.

Ironically the most mythic castlevania imo is Lords of Shadow and that's not a good thing.
>>
>>343344609
Soulsfags are truly scum of the earth.
>>
>>343344383
then you just like to see those huge pixels on the screen. but they didn't aged well. a game with 2D sprites that aged well would be Street Fighter 3. but never RoB
>>
File: 1457989045405.jpg (347 KB, 1120x1920) Image search: [Google]
1457989045405.jpg
347 KB, 1120x1920
>>343345048
Far less than Rondofags. Don't be upset From actually accomplished with ease what you pretend Konami did.
>>
>>343332119
>the whip character is so fucking bad
Morrisson fucking melts through everything if you're not letting your powerups go away.

I still remember some speedrunner talking about how Eric gains several minutes advantage in the game until the last stage because of his jumping antics but when that point is reached Morrison more than makes up for the time lost and takes the lead because he kills bosses much faster.
>>
File: lamulana.webm (2 MB, 630x469) Image search: [Google]
lamulana.webm
2 MB, 630x469
best castlevania game
>>
>>343344609
What movie is this?
>>
>>343344847
Yeah, I'd say SC4 is a runner up, but its soundtrack is affected and experimentally jazzy instead of being flat out sincerely heroic like Rondo.
>>
>>343338776
mac and cheese is exclusively an American thing.

The Italians have their own cheese-based sauces which aren't comparable.
>>
>>343345260
But that's a Maze of Galious game.
>>
File: 1420580745455.webm (1 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1420580745455.webm
1 MB, 800x450
>>343345304
Excalibur
Clearly had a big influence on tone and aesthetic to Miyazaki
>>
>>343345468
And maze of galious was better than nes castlevania
whats your point
>>
>>343345186
I'm not even the guy you were talking to nor do I agree with his assessment of Rondo, baby girl. The anime thing is trivial anyway, since--Maria aside--it's only reflected in the story animations, the spritework isn't especially anime looking.

I just find the obsession here with constantly bringing up Dark Souls tedious.
>>
File: 1439416572333.jpg (30 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1439416572333.jpg
30 KB, 479x720
>>343344609
>muh endless stinky gloomy dark corridors
>muh edgy "everything horrible life sux man" emo teen bullshit
Go home underage. That's not mythic, that's lazy pandering to NEETs angsty about having to move out soon, like yourself.
>>
>>343345586
But classicvania is another type of game.
It's like comparing Zelda to Gradius.
>>
>>343325502
You're not fucking implying Dracula's Curse is somehow better than Rondo of Blood, right?
>>
File: castlevania2title.jpg (499 KB, 1169x1600) Image search: [Google]
castlevania2title.jpg
499 KB, 1169x1600
Fuck you /v/ I liked it.
>>
>>343345742
>muh edgy "everything horrible life sux man" emo teen bullshit

You say this while defending a game that you think is a masterpiece of modern fiction because it casts off the previous games actual love and appreciation of those 'silly' and 'hokey' old horror movies you are too underage and plebeian to watch and now Castlevania was for big boys like you.
>>
>>343345805
no it's like comparing sotn to castlevania you idiot
>>
>>343326227
Are you kidding? Dracula is like the easiest boss in Rondo of Blood
>>
File: Idylls_of_the_King_3.jpg (2 MB, 1800x2366) Image search: [Google]
Idylls_of_the_King_3.jpg
2 MB, 1800x2366
>>343345742
>muh edgy "everything horrible life sux man"

Tons of myths and fantasy do this you knuckledragging sack of shit. Go watch your anime.
>>
>>343345260
>>343345586
I found La Mulana pretty tedious. Never played Maze of Galious, though.
>>
>>343345868
It's not the fiction, it's the mise on scene or game feel or whatever.

Little details like the intro being in German and the wagon/horses/background you approach on being more realistic and less stylized.

>>343346024
t. triggered NEET
>>
>>343346148
>it's the mise on scene or game feel or whatever.

literally what did you mean by this
>>
>>343345837
Dungeon and Boss suck very hard. Rest is ok at best.
>>
>>343345835
Not him, but I definitely think it's superior to Rondo of Blood.
>>
>>343345260
Looks like Buried Bone
>>
File: 1435798999064.webm (832 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1435798999064.webm
832 KB, 800x450
>>343346148
>Get met with facts

>N-N-N-NEET

Go

Watch

Your

Anime
>>
>>343346097
La-mulana is one of those games that require a certain type of mindset to truly enjoy. It's basically a hardcore 2D side-scrolling zelda, in that the enjoyment comes from discovering new areas, exploring the ruins, and solving puzzles. You have to get into the headspace of "fuck yeah this is an adventure," or something. I enjoyed it because it did feel like a genuine adventure.
>>
File: castlevania_bath.jpg (427 KB, 576x1634) Image search: [Google]
castlevania_bath.jpg
427 KB, 576x1634
>>343344151
>>
>>343346213
The total synergistic effect of all the non-narrative design elements.
>>
>>343345742
after Bloodlines, CV pretty much incorporated the "edgy, my life sucks, emo teen bs". the difference beign that in the 80s-90s was the karate-man who had a rough life
>>
>>343346334
I understand its appeal, I just found it a bit of a slog. I wouldn't mind revisiting it in the future.
>>
>>343346394
Insignificant details make you feel like you're 'stepping into a myth'? Somehow these details are of more precedence than the offensively terrible anime style during the story segments?
>>
>>343346956
Look, you either get it or you don't, and you obviously don't, so I don't particularly feel like continuing this conversation.
>>
>>343347026
There's nothing to get, you chose to cherrypick some nonsensical minor details and wave them around as proof Rondo is some high-brow piece of art and the previous games are just silly pastiches to crappy horror movies you never watched because you're terrified of media made before 1997.
>>
>>343347140
Yeah man, that's totally it. You got me.
>>
File: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - 16.png (295 KB, 958x640) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - 16.png
295 KB, 958x640
>>343346379
kek
dracula soma banged them everyday
>>
File: 1466546298901.jpg (59 KB, 173x173) Image search: [Google]
1466546298901.jpg
59 KB, 173x173
>>343345742
>calls some retarded 2D side scroller where Ryu from Street Fighter whips Dracula on par with myth
>Dark Souls actually takes inspiration from real myths legends and old fantasy
>Get butthurt
>>
>>343347425
Whoa man you can barely see anything! It's so deep!
Tasteless underage.
>>
>>343336065
Uhhhh, you forgot to shoop the other post
>>
>>343324370
The music is awesome but the gameplay is pretty shit.

Call me a casual but I prefer the igavanias.
>>
Somebody should dox australia-kun and put a bullet on his skull.
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.