[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hey man did you know Doom isn't a 3D game Explain this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (222 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222 KB, 1440x1080
>hey man did you know Doom isn't a 3D game

Explain this
>>
>>343318682
Pedantics about how it's programmed.
>>
I used to have a very troubling crack addiction. This is the last of my worries
>>
FUCK YOU
why do you even want gendou?
>>
I dont know how the math works of course, but the positional, blockmap, and rendering algorithm is all very simplistic, 'binary space partitioning'

the upshot is that there is no true verticality, only the position at which things are drawn, and the rules that determine how the game allows you to move

you can't be 'above' or 'below' the sector you're in without working around the limitations of the renderer in complex ways
>>
Your screen is a 2D plane
>>
Wolf3D was functionally a two dimensional game.

Doom had vertical elements that also affected gameplay.
>>
It technically isn't. Pedantic autists like to throw around that fact without understanding why it's not technically 3D. Makes them feel smart.
It's all they have. Please just let them go about their business.
>>
File: 1461630938324.png (250 KB, 1056x684) Image search: [Google]
1461630938324.png
250 KB, 1056x684
>>343318682

Isn't Doom considered pseudo-3D?
>>
>hey guys simcity and RCT is 3d because it isn't shown in 2d!
neck yourself, turbomango.
>>
Up and down is not taken into consideration at any point. With ramps and lifts, the illusion of up and down is there, but as far as the game is concerned, you're still traveling across a flat map and it's a really neat trick. There are no areas of maps directly above others, everything on the "second floor" is above empty space.
>>
>>343318682
2.5d
>>
>>343319047
I don't think BSP has anything to do with DOOM's lack of verticality. Quake1-3 had it as well, and they were "true" 3D.
>>
>>343319162

This.
>>
>>343319697
Isn't this how literally every game works though?
>>
>>343321236

no
>>
>>343318682
Is this the new half a press?
>>
IF DOOM ISN'T A 3D GAME HOW COME FIREBALLS THAT FLY ABOVE YOUR HEAD DON'T DO ANY DAMAGE? THEY HAVE TO CALCULATE THE Y AXIS TO KNOW IF THE FIREBALLS ARE ABOVE YOU OR NOT. IF DOOM ISN'T A 3D GAME HOW COME YOU CAN USE ELEVATORS AND FALL OFF LEDGES? CLEARLY THAT MEANS THERE IS AN X, Y, AND Z AXIS.
>>
>>343319697
EXPLAIN IMP FIREBALLS FLYING ABOVE YOUR HEAD AND NOT DOING DAMAGE, BUT DOING DAMAGE IF THEY HIT YOU. CLEARLY THE ENGINE CALCULATES THE Y AXIS
>>
>>343321359
Yes
>>
>>343322821
>>343322958
This is autism
>>
>>343323423
For you
>>
File: rits.jpg (29 KB, 441x401) Image search: [Google]
rits.jpg
29 KB, 441x401
As far as I'm concerned whether a game is 3D or 2D depends on the type used to render the game world and not the gameplay (a "2.5D" platformer where every element is 3D is a 3D game).

To me Doom is a 3D game regardless of what trickery was used to create said 3D space, though I guess labeling it 2.5D (with movement on an X-Z plane) makes sense.
>>
Why is Ritsko so stupid?
>>
>>343324818
Kek, cuz she's a woman, jest liek her mum.
>>
>>343324818

zy is 'n wyv
>>
Why is Eva GOAT?
>>
>>343324818
She is worst girl next to the German one.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.