[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he still buys digital games Explain yourself.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
>he still buys digital games

Explain yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 500x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 500x675
>>343303016
I fucking hate Atlus
>>
>>343303016

You can still redownload it right?

Did it get a physical Vita release?
>>
>>343303016
that doesnt mean your digital copy goes away retard.
>>
>>343304052
Yes and yes
>>
>>343303016
If you download a game, and it gets taken down of the store, do you still keep it?
>>
File: diskrot.jpg (20 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
diskrot.jpg
20 KB, 250x241
>>343303016
>>
>>343304198
Yes, I mean I still have PT on my PS4
>>
>>343303845
And Atlus clearly hates you too, Europe
>>
>>343304186

Then that's not so bad but still sad.
>>
>>343303016
holy shit.
>>
>>343304257
disc rot is a meme my friend
>>
>>343304257
nice meme
>>
>>343304257
I, with 100% certainty, can say that I have NEVER experienced dick rot on any game that I own. It seriously cannot be that much of an issue for you to parade around as a fault of physical media
>>
>>343303016
It'll be back once they resolve the matter of publishing.
>>
File: 1461865167923.gif (2 MB, 244x201) Image search: [Google]
1461865167923.gif
2 MB, 244x201
>>343304585
>dick rot
>>
>>343304376
>>343304459
>>343304585
How about...
>>
>>343303016
Some games are hard to get otherwise and most PC games are digital only, and lately I buy most of my games on PC so I have to deal with it.
>>
>i exclusively purchase physical media. fuck DRM!
>>
>>343305219

You have more flexibility with digital PC games anyway, by the nature of the platform.
>>
>>343305219
pretty much this
my only consolation is that most of the PC games I buy are less than $5
>>
>our license expired

how does that happen? why would you let that happen? is this normal?
>>
>>343305497
it's an atlus game everywhere else, so they probably own the IP
>>
File: 1375372297252.jpg (260 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
1375372297252.jpg
260 KB, 940x529
>>343303016
do you even know how this shit works or do you shitpost with a keyboard stuck on your ass?

when a license expires in any digital distribution site it means it can no longer be sold there.

same thing happened with MvC 2 in steam, if you own it you can uninstall it, download it and play it as any other game.

fucking false flagger retard.
>>
>>343305497
>how does that happen?
don't renew the license

>why would you let that happen?
can't afford to renew the license given the audience interest
contractual obligations
government red tape

>is this normal?
unfortunately yes
>>
>buy
>games

Just pirate everything.

I've released digital content before and frankly anyone who pays money for digital data is a fool.
>>
>>343304376
>>343304585
>>343304459

Disc rot, as in the disk just breaking down for no reason, is a myth.
However, saying disk rot to describe physical damage done to the disk due to handling, regular usage, sunlight impact, dropping the box, moisture, or other such, is not a myth.
Disks are fragile, and will break with use over time, even if you do everything right every single time (you wont). The disk being in use in your console is enough to heat it up, warp it, physically damage it.
Disks are meant to be consumables, not temporary storage.
>>
>NISA

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>343305497
>why would you let that happen?

A game sees 95% of it's total life time sales within the first month of release. A short term license makes economical sense.
>>
>>343305168
As someone that buys all digital, this isn't a good reason to stop buying discs, you could start a fire in your house a number of other ways
>>
>>343305691

>Never buy DLC
>>
>>343305691
I can't pirate OW
>>
>>343303016
You don't lose the license for the game just because it isn't on PSN anymore. If you didn't buy it before then thats tough titties but what do you expect from living in bongistan where sitting in someones face is illegal.
>>
the point of buying games is to give money to devs, not to have things
>>
>>343306068

I only buy games I can't get otherwise.
>>
>>343305497
>NISA releases ATLUS games in EU
>Working with ATLUS is just a pain
>NISA cut relations.
>Games are severely discounted (this never happened until now)
>Contracts expire

ATLUS is just the fucking worst, all the companies who worked with in the past can confirm.
>>
>>343305853
The point is, you can't redownload a physical disc once it's damaged or destroyed
>>
>>343306068
>the point of buying food is to give money to the farmers, not to eat
You're literally this retarded.
>>
File: 1430002778874.png (146 KB, 460x360) Image search: [Google]
1430002778874.png
146 KB, 460x360
>>343303016
Good thing I pirated
>>
>>343306068
This is the average consumer of the post 2000-internet era.

A complete, fucking, moron.
>>
>>343306580
>Another food analogy

The absolute madman. If I could enjoy food digitally I would. But then you would have food pirates.
>>
>>343306749
It's not entirely his fault, though. Him and his parents were raised in the government school system and watched the electric j- I mean television something like 4 hours a day, 4 HOURS PER DAY.

They're overgrown children.
>>
>>343305736

You are severely overstating how fragile optical media is.

Optical media is usually a form of metal and heat resistant plastic, highly resistant to any sort of heat that properly working hardware is going to generate. Moisture is almost a non-issue, dropping is not an issue unless it happens to fall on exactly the wrong spot, sunlight is an issue only for optical media that uses a photoreactive dye instead of metal for the data layer. Use results in very little wear because there is no actual physical contact involved.

Optical media is actually very, very good for long term storage but it's not good for regular backup use because the writable versions of optical media is significantly more vulnerable than pressed discs are. Lifespans for metal based optical media is estimated to be 100+ years, and that's conservative.
>>
>tfw I was looking for dragon's crown in the "big in japan" sale on the EU PSN store yesterday

We are always getting fucked. I had to wait nearly over a year to buy Persona 4 Arena after everywhere else, which was already dead on arrival and replaced my ultimax soon after.

Odin's Sphere another vanillaware game is £55 on the store. That's like 80-90 dollars.

Then they say we aren't a profitable market, maybe you shouldn't overprice and delay every fucking game then! Atlus in particular.
>>
>>343306251
NISA is shit as well dude.
>>
>>343306826
>food pirates
Protip: you can grow your own food FOR FREE in your parents' back yard with normal rainwater and sunlight.

Or you can shoplift. Honestly there's no need to spend money on anything these days.
>>
>>343306953
Pretty sure NISA is in charge of prices in EU as they're the publishers here.
>>
>>343305168
What if that happens at Sony or Microsoft or Valve?
>>
File: IMG_3556.jpg (214 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3556.jpg
214 KB, 1000x1000
>>343306953
>Then they say we aren't a profitable market, maybe you shouldn't overprice and delay every fucking game then! Atlus in particular.

Maybe you should buy games
>>
In this current age, the point of spending money for games is to encourage the developer who make things you like to make more things you like.

If you've bought a game one, digitally or physically, and you misplace your copy or the service is terminated, you are 100% entitled to pirate a copy for yourself with no detriment to anyone.

Piracy is the ultimate back-up.
>>
>>343306890
100 years if you write on it with a high end press, then put it in a box, in a dark shelf, at 25 Celsius, and leave it there.
If you keep it on your desk in your room and use it every other day, its more like 2 years, potentially less depending on handling.
And many consoles/CD drives do damage disks. I speak from experience, and from reading people complain.

Also I mentioned moisture because I lost CDs when I spilled a glass of water on the table they were kept, most of the disks were faulty after that, not registering every time you put them in, and having weird screen artifacts when they did work. Those were movies though.
>>
>>343307252

Yes, for specifically atlus games that NIS publish but we are overcharged on the store in general.

If NISA have to cover the cost of publishing and renewing licenses then obviously we are going to have a high price point. Atlus obviously don't give a shit about the end consumer, as long as the publisher pays.

And in the digital age it's retarded for atlus to resist europe for this long. especially on the store.

They could the price of the games by 10-20 pounds and still make more per sale than most places.
>>
>>343303016
I buy physical games for my console, the WiiU, but digital for PC. Mostly because the WiiU harddrive is absolute trash and used games in good condition are much cheaper than digitally purchased games.
>>
>>343307536

>release game over a year late
>charge more than 1/3 more than US
>leave it to a small publisher that has next to no promotion

hur dur why don't you buy em

If you are selling food that is overpriced and is always served late don't be surprised when people go to the restaurant down the street.
>>
I had to get nep 1 on disc because of this.

the DLC is still on there, but the game isn't...
>>
>>343307708
NISA published EU games usually get +10€ on their pricetag in general.

55 pounds is only 65 euro right now
>>
>>343307670
>If you keep it on your desk in your room and use it every other day, its more like 2 years, potentially less depending on handling.

I have CDs that are more than 20 years old and saw heavy use and they still work fine. DVDs that are more than 10 years old still going fine.

>And many consoles/CD drives do damage disks. I speak from experience, and from reading people complain.

Hardware damaging media is not really the fault of the media. Hardware working correctly should cause no wear to optical media, the only part that should be touching the disc is the spinner.

>Also I mentioned moisture because I lost CDs when I spilled a glass of water on the table they were kept, most of the disks were faulty after that, not registering every time you put them in, and having weird screen artifacts when they did work.

I don't believe that was water. Water can be used to clean optical media, it does not damage it.
>>
>>343305168

That's what property insurance is for. Renters if you rent, homeowners if you own.
>>
>>343308440
You are using exceptions to prove a trend, lad.
Disks don't tend to last as long as you claim some of yours did, and I am sure you are aware of that either from experience or from hearing others complain.

Hardware damaging disks does reduce the expected lifespan of these disks under regular circumstances.
Yes, bad hardware is regular circumstances. Its not uncommon.

And it was indeed just a glass of water, because I spilled it while pouring water into it from a pot or however you call those in english.
>>
>>343308783

>My only physical copy of this rare, out of print game that I refused to purchase digitally was just destroyed.
>But it's okay because I have insurance money.
>>
>>343309125

That's what floaters are for. Most companies are willing to work with you and give you stated value on certain objects if its worth the hassle. Hell, I know a guy who insured $10,000 worth of fucking Magic cards by itself on his existing property insurance with State Farm.
>>
>>343309479

>Trying to draw money out of an insurance company by pointing to the one guy left on Amazon selling a copy of game X that goes for $800.
>Even if you're successful it just means you were paying higher premiums all of this time in order to own a piece of plastic when you could have just purchased digitally.
>>
>>343308812
>You are using exceptions to prove a trend, lad.

What trend? You are just making assertions and your evidence is "I've hear people on the internet say".

There are facts about the materials used to construct optical media and some of your claims are completely contrary to those facts.

Faulty hardware could damage any media. That optical media is vulnerable to faulty hardware too does not make it a bad storage choice unless the nature of it's hardware makes it more likely to experience damage, which it doesn't.

And water does not damage optical media. It won't get through the plastic, you can just wipe it off. Are you forgetting to mention the water was boiling at the time or something? I'm sorry, I'm never going believe that you damaged your discs just by spilling a glass of regular water on them. You may as well be claiming you damaged a plastic cup by filling it with water.
>>
>>343304284
Would it be possible to upload PT to like a flash drive big enough and move it over to another PS4?
>>
>>343310114
no, everything you download is digitally signed to your console, not even giving people your save files of a game will work
>>
>>343308812
Not the anon you're talking to, but you are doing exactly what you claim he's doing. You're using a few exceptions to the rule and "stuff I read on the internet complaints" to back your claims that aren't based on any factual evidence.

USED CD and DVDs that are a decade to 2 decades old are still bought, sold, and traded on a regular basis from everything to PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Sega CD, etc. and still work fine. Your claims would mean almost all physical media from those ages would be lost forever.

And if you spilled a cup of regular cold or room temperature water on CDs/DVDs and it damaged them, you've have sincerely fucked up somewhere.
>>
>>343310867
>2016
>still buying physical games
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 550x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 550x330
>>343312615
Forgot pic
>>
>>343310114
Just do a system backup on another hard drive
>>
>>343312615
>>343312713
What about the 3DS, Vita, and possibly the NX? Your arguments are moot against them.
>>
>Buy game for ps3
>Need to buy it again for ps4 or maintain a working ps3 for the rest of your life

Nah, fuck off. I have all the collector editions of Vanillaware games but Im reaching my turning point. Unless they start porting their shit I dont know for how long I will keep supporting them.
>>
The ONLY time I buy digital is if it's an indieshit that I want to support, or if something gets a REALLY good deal.

Can Fatal Frame V please get an 80% off sale?
>>
File: 1467051251388.png (89 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1467051251388.png
89 KB, 633x758
>>343303016
>the pirates are wrong they said
>>
>>343303016

I don't buy digital copies unless I have to. Got 500 games in my Steam Library, but my focus is now console games. Start hating, faggots.
>>
This is exactly the sort of reasons I still only buy physical. And why I never buy DLC.
>>
>>343303016
I hate buying digital games and dread the day they get shut down for whatever reason. I can't explain why I buy Steam games other than that there is no other option with most games.
>>
File: one(1).jpg (19 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
one(1).jpg
19 KB, 650x366
>>343307381

>Sony/M$/Valve only own ONE (1) building/server farm
>>
>>343315835
>Apocalypse type scenario
>Can't play vidya
Physical + ISO + crack + backups are the only way to keep your data safe.
>>
>>343306953
>buy Persona 4 Arena

You're pathetic.
Zen United already localized BlazBlue games and it took them months to get the games over, after the second delay, I cancelled my preorder.
If you bought P4A PAL, the world would be better off with you being dead
>>
>>343303016
>being in Europe at all
You asked for it desu
>>
>>343316748
Well said, friend.
>>
File: not an argument.png (315 KB, 734x458) Image search: [Google]
not an argument.png
315 KB, 734x458
>>343316039

There is so many retards in your """"argument"""" that it isn't even funny.

>Apocalypse type scenario
>The vidya prepper of course has access to his physical copies but somehow the digital copies already installed on everyone's computer/console VANISHED just because of muh Apocalypse
>inb4 EMP attack
>than you physical copies are useless too, since your consoles/computers would be fried

Not to mention that in if it was really an Apocalypse scenario there wouldn't be an electricity regardless of the scenario.

>inb4 handheld + physical copy
>again ignores digital copies don't disappear that already installed
>batteries lasts forever

So enjoy your physical vidya for 8 hours I guess and then NEVER EVER again

But, finally, regardless of what type of """retort""" you might still come up with it. If it is indeed an apocalypse, you wouldn't have time to play vidya gaems.

The ONLY reason we have time to play video games is because we don't have to spend the whole day farming/planting/gathering/hunting food + water and getting shelter, maintaining it and protecting yourself. You wouldn't have time to play video games you retarded even if it was 100% available.
>>
>>343317497
>not having a generator
I guess you just don't love your Vita.
>>
>>343305168
>House fire
>Your console/PC that houses all your digital games gets destroyed
>Can't re download because you didn't de-activate your licenses on them

Also your vidya would be the least of your worries if your house burned down.
>>
In the past I would have argued that you can still play it without needing internet and some online services, but since even most physical copys are useless without internet registration or something there is no point.
>>
>>343318637
This.
A decade ago physical vs digital had more weight in the argument but now with more and more games both console and PC demanding online registration, constant online checks and DRM we are hitting a point where it's just a question of is your internet provider good enough to download 20+ gigs or if you should just get the install disk
>>
>>343317497
Why are you so mad? And why don't you know how to use parentheses, isn't that grade school level education where you come from?
>>
>>343318637
especially pc games, some discs do nothing but punch the cd key into whatever drm the game uses and downloads from there.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.