[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into the witcher? I played witcher 1 and got to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
File: llgzo8mdrr8wva4ozhvn.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
llgzo8mdrr8wva4ozhvn.jpg
262 KB, 1920x1080
How do I get into the witcher? I played witcher 1 and got to the swamp but I couldn't take it anymore. I played witcher 2 upto the first fight with the assassin and uninstalled when I needed space for other games. Am I missing something? This is the best RPG series of the decade?
>>
>>343299465
unless you can connect with the story, there is no real reason to play these games.
>>
>>343299465
Read the books first
Then you'll be invested enough to sit through Witcher 1 being generally shit
And Witcher 2 having garbage combat
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 301x267
Witcher 1 is fucking rough to go back to. You have to stick with it for the story, and some of the nuances of the game that can be construed as weird or not really streamlined are super fitting with the story and character. It's really damn rough though, it requires a lot of patience to be able to handle some of the funk.

Dunno why you didn't get Witcher 2. I thought it was an awesome game.
>>
>>343299794
I'm gonna try witcher 2 again. Hopefully steam still has my save.
>>
>>343299931
If you want to play the series proper I think you still should do 1 and just get through it. Witcher 3 has a lot of really important, amazing callbacks to 1.
>>
>>343299931
You should really play W1 first. From what I've heard, it establishes the world the best and has the most well written plot.
>>
>>343299794
The Witcher 2's combat is shit. I can understand completely why OP can't get into it.

I recommend finding the "return of the sword" mod, it makes combat less frustrating
>>
>>343299465
Witcher 3 is absolutely amazing. I skipped Witcher 1 and 2 though, and rather just read up on the story beforehand.
>>
>>343299465
Anon youre arent supposed to expect good gameplay, youre supposed to be playing it for the
S
T
O
R
Y
>>
>>343300174
It's not the greatest, but I didn't think it was complete ass.

>quen to win

I also played through the entire series back-to-back-to-back though last year, so going from W1 combat immediately to 2 was orgasmic.
>>
>>343300205
It's easily the best of the three, but you miss so many nuances in character interaction and plot.

Now that I think about it, not many big rpgs are so connected or well thought out as the Witcher.
Mass Effect is the only one that comes to mind.
>>
>>343300025
>>343300068
I've heard this also but I have trouble with RPGs in general. The swamp really killed my enjoyment of that game.
>>
>>343300562
The swamp is easily the worst part of the game, that's why you hear so many people quitting so early in chapter 1 or 2. The later chapters are better.

Or maybe you just become used to the bullshit and it doesn't hurt as much as you go on.
>>
The reason I want to play the witcher at all is because I recently went back to skyrim and holy shit is that game bad. I used to like skyrim but it so linear. I heard the witcher has some interesting stuff with player choice.
>>
>>343299465
If you weren't able to get into The Witcher it just means that you have shit taste tbqh OPEE.
>>
>>343299465
The series isn't for you. Stay pleb and go back to skyrim.
>>
File: 1465156858765.gif (776 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465156858765.gif
776 KB, 480x270
>>343300981
The thing is anon, Skyrim has the open world aspect going for it and all. Technically Witcher 1 and 2 are far more linear, embracing that linearity in the forms of chapters. The story itself is pretty damn good with diverging paths/different possibilities. The game didn't have a proper open world until Witcher 3 which then became the best version of open world I've ever had the chance of playing.

I still encourage you to just slog through Witcher 1. And I mean every word of that, it's a bit of a slog to people. But it's worth it, especially if you ever get to play Witcher 3. Witcher 3's W2 references don't even come CLOSE to the amount of references that there are to W1.

And god those references felt so good.
>>
File: 1371639186896.png (857 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1371639186896.png
857 KB, 3840x2160
>>343299465
>got to the swamp but I couldn't take it anymore
You're only touching the edge of the game m8 just slog through it and you'll be rewarded bigtime
>>
>>343299465
Witcher 1 is amazing. I didn't like ACT 1 and ACT 2 was decent, but after those game got so much better.
ACT 4 was fucking amazing. Just play it again and read the books.
>>
>>343299465
>How do I get into the witcher?
You stop being a pussy, play and finish Witcher 1, then forget the series entirely, as the sequels suck ass.
>>
>>343299716
>Then you'll be invested enough to sit through Witcher 1 being generally shit
Fuck off. I'd never even heard of the books before I played TW1, and I fucking loved the game. Played it a good 4 times in a row within a couple months.

TW2 had been out for ages at that point already, and I was super hyped for it at the time. However, I seriously had to push myself to even finish it once. It's that goddamn clunky and all around butchered console shit.
>>
File: o.jpg (77 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
77 KB, 680x680
>>343302374
>>
the witcher 1 is really good though. It just has a slow start.
>>
>>343302524
>being a casual consolikid who can't appreciate vastly superior, proper CRPG
look at this plebeian.
>>
File: tw1 lake rainy.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
tw1 lake rainy.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1200
>>343302006
>I still encourage you to just slog through Witcher 1. And I mean every word of that, it's a bit of a slog to people
TW1? A slog?
Why the living fuck?? I was having the time of my life chilling in TW1's world! It'd been ages since a game had sucked me in that hard!

Yeah, it gets better towards the end, but I never exactly hated or disliked ANY part of the game! If anything, I loved how I started seeing brand new things and realizing early signs of future events in the starting chapters.
>>
I'm having a lot of fun playing Witcher 1. In chapter 2 now, and man, the quest designs are not well thought out. It's all over the place. Also, it's annoying that people aren't where they're supposed to be.
>>
File: tw1 granny - drowned dead.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tw1 granny - drowned dead.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>343303190
>Also, it's annoying that people aren't where they're supposed to be
People move around depending on the time of day, etc. Also, in certain cases, without trying to spoil too much, some people you're looking for are not in their assumed position for a specific reason
>>
File: joakim mogren.png (152 KB, 310x341) Image search: [Google]
joakim mogren.png
152 KB, 310x341
The story is the best part.

The combat is ok on every entry. Not as bad as people claim it is around here. In fact is better than other RPG games, even on TW1.

The second one was awesome. Doesn't matter if people say things about the clunky combat, it's not bad at all.

The third is obviously the biggest of them all.

About being the RPG series of the decade, yes, every game has so much content and details, dialogues and love around it with an engaging story and characters you can't really say anything bad about it without being nitpicking. the combat is kinda the low point of them, but even then, it's to at least say something bad about it.

On the other side, if for some reason you're not getting engaged in its world or setting it's not going to be worth it anyways. I mean, it's a medieval fantasy RPG after all.
>>
File: 1466489413078.jpg (59 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1466489413078.jpg
59 KB, 554x439
>>343303002
It was rough for me at first but I got to that point as well. I'm saying it because there is a LOT of running back and forth between places getting everything settled, the combat system isn't great.

And the first and second chapter are probably the most monotonous out of all of 'em.
>>
>>343303521

Yea, I found that out the hard way. Googled for an answer to find someone because I thought it was a bug and found some spoilers that I wish I could take back.
>>
File: tw1 misty forest.jpg (501 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tw1 misty forest.jpg
501 KB, 1920x1080
>>343303780
Ouch. That's what you get for being hasty.
It's also funny that a slavic cult-hit CRPG is the only RPG in ages, if not EVER, to actually challenge people's expectations of how RPG games and their quests work, making things a bit deeper and more dynamic.

I assume we're talking of THAT mission here. I personally only found him on my 2nd playthrough, never looked any guides, and it all suddenly started making a lot of sense. At the same time, it made me respect the game even more, for being so grand scale, open, and well designed in the end.
>>
I like the series but if you're not in it to win it then its gonna be a slog, as other anons have said. One thing I'd like to say though is I feel like they through in a bunch of characters from the books in TW3. I had no idea who some of these fucks were, but Geralt sure did.
>>
Alright boyos. You've convinced me to start with witcher 1. I hope it's worth it.
>>
File: 2013-06-20_00008.jpg (572 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-20_00008.jpg
572 KB, 1920x1200
>>343304751
Attaboy!
And if you ask me, it's 100% worth it. Just don't rush it, or expect an action game! It's relatively slow-burn, yet high reward sort of title, that expect you to enjoy just being and living in its world. It's way more actual "RPG" than most wannabe titles these days.
>>
>>343304751
You just gotta be patient with it. Really, really patient.
>>
>>343305131
>>343305350
Its the long weekend so I should be able to get through the swamp and come out on the other side a changed man.
>>
witcher 2 and 3 have different pacing than witcher 1.
Install witcher 2 again if you own it, give it a shot. Listen to dialouges and stories and stuff, it's really immersive to me. I spent like 10 hours one day on TW2 because I was so into it.
Doesn't happen often.
>>
>he fell for the Poland shilling Force
Witcher is the trashiest of WRPGs.
>>
File: tw1 swamps evening.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tw1 swamps evening.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>343305472
once you gain some levels + better gear & skills + git gud, the swamp will feel like a literal walk in a park with free minor EXP drops bonus. Early on, though, it can feel a bit spooky, especially that plant hunt job.
>>
>>343305843
This is true. I did get spooked early on when I first played the swamp. So I guess it wasn't all bad.
>>
>>343299465
if you want good gameplay don't play it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.