[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fact that so many books still name Ccarina of Time as "the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 20
The fact that so many books still name Ccarina of Time as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" game ever only tells you how far gaming still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Game critics are still blinded by commercial success. Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Game critics are often totally ignorant of the gaming of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Ocarina of Time did anything worthy of being saved.

is he right?
>>
TLDR

I don't hate is opinion. I hate that the video is a blue bayou ad.
>>
File: 1467253606473.jpg (235 KB, 878x592) Image search: [Google]
1467253606473.jpg
235 KB, 878x592
Yes
OOT was good for it's time and still ok today but it is not the BEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME!

http://www.strawpoll.me/10625372
>>
>>343281792
>is he right?
There are so many games that didn't sell well but are still considered to one the greatest of all time
>>
>>343281792
The "game was popular so that means it sucks" argument has never held any water. So no.
>>
>>343281792
this reads like a 3rd grader wrote it
>>
Blues > Jazz
>>
fucking christ guys, learn your /mu/ copypasta before posting.
>>
>>343281792
>Jazz musicians, individuals
>Video Game, a collective of every type of art humans have invented
I mean really dipshit?
>>
>>343282125
an old autistic italian man wrote it
>>
File: 1466829906187.jpg (130 KB, 383x472) Image search: [Google]
1466829906187.jpg
130 KB, 383x472
>>343282203
I'm sorry I don't keep track of every stupid copypasted opinion on the internet, anon.
>>
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html
>>
Gonna give this post a decent to strong 8
>>
>>343281792
Majora's Mask was far Better than Ocarina Of Time
>>
>>343281792
I like OOT, and I think some of his points are really off. But overall, I think he's right. OOT is definitely loved for the sake of being loved, and has a litany of flaws.

I love SS though, despite its huge gaping drawbacks.
>>
Hello /mu/
>>
>>343282203
>paying attention to /mu/ ever

No
>>
Egoraptor is a fucking retard who has this massive essay on OoT where literally everything he dislikes about it are new concessions made because the game was 3D, not 2D. He doesn't even seem to realize it while jerking off to LttP, but 3D games need different mechanics in place to actually work. He's a fucking Flatlander.
>>
>>343282529
>i exclusively listen to anime and video game soundtracks
/mu/ is a much better board than /v/ is when it comes to discussing its own medium which also happens to be a much vaster medium too.
>>
File: 1425916426617.png (13 KB, 266x220) Image search: [Google]
1425916426617.png
13 KB, 266x220
>>343282578
>Disconnect with the room he feels when targeting enemies
>>
>>343282486
too bad nearly all of his points are invalid
if you watch his sequilitis about Megaman and then watch the OoT Video you can clearly see that he bashes OoT for things that he praises in Megaman/Megaman X
He literally shits on it because
a) he is bad in 3d games
b) its cool to hate on popular things
>>
>video game
>serious art
LOL
>>
>>343282529
scaruffi copypasta is a core part of 4chan

kill yourself newfag
>>
>>343282646
Discussion on /mu/ never goes beyond "I liked this" or "wow you're an idiot for liking that", a bunch of opinions with nothing to back them up
>>
OoT was great and open world game of today owe it a debt, but its popularity ruined Zelda. People anticipated Twilight Princess only because they thought it would be OoT+ and a lot of what was bad about Skyward Sword were just exaggerations of OoT's features.
>>
>>343282716
Why is Scaruffi so terrible
>>
>>343282865
scrauffi is the greatest critic of any medium, you would know this if you looked at how his scoring system works rather than thinking it's the same as hack gaming review scores
>>
>>343282646
Discussion on /mu/ is TERRIBLE anon, what are you on about. /mu/core is fucking dreadful too, it's shittaste central. I remember like 2013-14, literally all that was getting posted unironically was Lorde, Kanye, Radiohead and ITAOTS. It was fucking cancer.
>>
>>343282030

>strawpoll
>not poal.me

gas yourself
>>
>>343282851
they have generals that discuss entire genres that most people have never even heard of. you can also find downloads for many albums by searching the archive. i've found albums in there that i couldn't find on any torrent sites too. i honestly don't know how that's allowed but it's great nonetheless.

>>343282980
there's still room for good threads though. meanwhile on /v/ every single thread is infected with some sort of stupidity, whether it be consoles wars, ironic shitposting, memes, false flagging. i could go on. and if it's not it's quickly pushed off the board because of the million shit threads that are posted every minute.
>>
>>343283263
>you can also find downloads for many albums by searching the archive
All it's good for
>>
>>343283263
As a person who isn't really tied to either /mu/ or /v/ but I still visit both often, and have a pretty equal interest in both topics (I'm in a band and love music, I play a fucktonne of video games), I can comfortably and objectively say that the two boards are equally shit. Hell, /v/ might even be better. Don't fool yourself, /mu/ is a pretty big shithole. It's just YOUR shithole.
>>
>>343283748
/mu/ is shittier than /v/ when the kanyefags are awake, otherwise it's better
>>
>>343282296
Dont forget, pedophile
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
>>343281792
yup
>it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes
>guillotine
>>
>>343281792
>Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest.

So you're saying that the greatest is dictated as what wasn't the most popular, and then when using Ocarina's popularity as proof that the industry equates best selling with most popular, you simultaneously disprove it in the same sentence?

This pasta is so fucking stale but it irks me EVERY TIME.
>>
>>343283748
i don't even go there anymore but they have better taste in music than tv does in movies or v in games. i already have more music in my backlog than i could listen to in 10 years so there's not much point in going there. i also have more games in my backlog than i could ever play but i guess the difference is games are shit and a waste of time and music isn't.
>>
>>343284512
mizzi is that you?
>>
File: 1465858450792.png (43 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
1465858450792.png
43 KB, 500x288
>>343282661
What pissed me off the most was his complaint about the camera system not having a way to just simply be refocused behind Link, completely forgetting that when you have no target pressing Z centers the camera behind you. When you are targeting something however, the camera not only moves behind you but also faces your target and rotates Link to also face your target. Z-Targeting does what he wanted it to do and then some.

Also, some people think that OoT Link is the ugliest interpretation of him. Pic related.
>>
File: freakazoidnotimportantb.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
freakazoidnotimportantb.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
Hey.

Video games aren't art.
They don't need to be and shouldn't strive to be.

Art is a side of bacon draped over the side of a toilet bowl displayed in a hallway.
Art can be incredibly pointless and stupid.

Trying to make video games pointless and stupid is not a good goal to have.
>>
>>343281792
Rich Evans agrees in that OoT is the most overrated videogame of all time
it's not shit however, it's an low 8, just not a 10
>>
File: 1465684137027.png (670 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1465684137027.png
670 KB, 919x720
>>343285165
Rich Evans also thinks the original Sonic the Hedgehog game is bad because he has a slow reaction time.

e-celebs should not be the top opinion makers on what constitutes a good game.
>>
>>343282348
new friend everyone knows this pasta
>>
>>343285165
rich evan's meme opinion is no more valid than anyone else's meme opinion.

the FACT is that OoT is a classic and at the time managed to not only do what so many other franchises failed to do in transitioning a traditionally 2D game into 3D, but did it in a way that preserved the feeling of the old while taking advantage of the new perspective to add new experiences to the franchise. in this way it is a masterpiece. there's also the minor point of it being a major pioneer in 3D games as a whole.

many have said it better than this i'm sure. it's not exactly a secret, i don't know what is so difficult about this for kids to understand. especially a 60 year old manbaby that was around at the time of its release.
>>
>>343281792

This is a better argument for how game journalists are the equivalent of obnoxious hipsters than anything else.
>>
File: Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg (244 KB, 968x1024) Image search: [Google]
Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg
244 KB, 968x1024
>this is art, this isn't art
if a movie can be art why is a movie you can interact with not art.

pic related is art post-modernism, if you are still arguing about what is art and not after -that- you should probably shit on a canvas and sell it at auction cause thats far more productive of your time.
>>
>>343281792
I wouldn't trust a person who couldn't read that says Dune is shit, why should I trust a person who can't play video games that says Ocarina of Time is shit?
>>
>>343286094
movies can be not-art if they're plebshit meant only for entertainment.

games are generally not art because of the way they need to be focus tested into oblivion and arbitrarily designed around the player's experience.

with other games there's just nothing to them. they're completely transparent video games.

is the act of jumping from one platform to the next art? is shooting a cookie cutter enemy that then goes into a scripted animation that you will see a million times art? is matching 3 art?

there is art to video games but they themselves are not art.
>>
>>343284668
I'm a musician, my life literally revolves around music, and it is just as much of a waste of time as video games, where are you even coming from anon

Music is definitely a higher art form but apart from that it's not like it's any more important, it's just a different hobby for different people. Remove head from ass
>>
File: Weezer-blue-album.jpg (97 KB, 1019x1023) Image search: [Google]
Weezer-blue-album.jpg
97 KB, 1019x1023
ITT: you hear it, you lose

WHAT'S WITH THESE HOMIES DISSIN MY GIRL
>>
>>343286706
i don't give a fuck how often you twang a guitar. video games are monotonous, drawn out pieces of entertainment that are often completely devoid of originality or anything of emotional substance. at least when a piece of music is this way it usually only takes 40 minutes to an hour to figure this out.

music is also insanely diverse compared to video games. a piece of music you like you can enjoy for the rest of your life. a video game is often very "of its time" and will be obsolete as soon as the next sequel with minor changes is shat out. it's true that certain music goes out of style but it never really ages.
>>
>>343281792
replacing Beatles with OoT does not make this pasta more fresh, faggot
>>
>>343281792
Majora's Mask was a far better game than Ocarina of Time.
>>
File: MorrowindMap.jpg (78 KB, 400x464) Image search: [Google]
MorrowindMap.jpg
78 KB, 400x464
>>343281792
>Game critics are often totally ignorant of the gaming of the past, they barely know the best sellers

On this, he's dead on.

The list of "Pro Critics" who can tell you 5 of the best selling Nintendo, Genesis, or SNES games of all time is pretty fucking short.

Even shorter is the list of "Pro Critics" who can tell you which cartridges were pushing the hardware to its limit for the time and which ones weren't.

If you're looking for a true "Citizen Kane" of gaming, keep in mind it would need to be something that basically pioneered means and methods well before they were ever popularized, and pushed the boundaries of what could be done to convey an idea / game. All while being deep as fuck.

Baldur's Gate? Morrowind? I mean you're almost forced into the RPG genre just because of the required depth.
>>
>>343281792
No, he's just mad that his favorite Zelda isn't as good.
>>
>>343287496
>a piece of music you like you can enjoy for the rest of your life. a video game is often very "of its time" and will be obsolete as soon as the next sequel with minor changes is shat out
There are timeless masterpieces and soulless corporate cash-grabs in music and in videogames. Yeah you can name more timeless pieces of music than videogames, because music has existed for thousands of years and videogames have existed for 50.

>>343287798
>If you're looking for a true "Citizen Kane" of gaming
Zelda, Doom, and Ultima IV would be the best candidates.
>>
The most overrated part of OoT is the soundtrack.
>>
>>343287798
Doom.
>>
>all these people not recognizing this pasta

Summer.
>>
>>343288110
Video games more often tend to be soulless cash grabs since it takes so much raw effort, time and money to make them. Anyone with an instrument and microphone can make music and release it. Of course anyone with a computer can make a video game but the bar for time, at least is still much higher.

It's not just music though. How many classic books can someone read and enjoy just as much as people did in its time? Many. I feel that movies age poorly similar to games though.

No one really listens to music from 1000 years ago. It's mostly stuff from the past 70-80 years. Popular music was pretty awful around the turn of the century.
>>
As a single player title, OOT hits all the right marks in all the right categories to be one of the best games, if not the best game of all time.

At its core its just an adventure game, but in its purest form, there are things all around the world to be explored
>>
>>343281792
>no educaion
>>
OoT's legacy will all hang on Breath of the Wild.

If Breath of the Wild is good, OoT will definitively and forever be confirmed a mistake and a massive misstep in the Zelda franchise and for Nintendo's design philosophy for years. OoT's success has lead to an entire school of thought for Zelda the handhold slow opening tell the player how to do something every time and never let them get lost mentality. It permeates everything they've made since OoT and the lesson they learned from it's development was the player needs to be baby sat.

Breath of the Wild returns the franchise to it's roots, back to Zelda 1 where the philosophy was let the player figure it out, explain to them the very basics but let them figure out how everything goes together. Don't front load your game with tutorials and exposition but instead just let them explore and choose their own path, the very first screen has four directions the play can go from and it doesn't hold your hand and tell you what order you need to go and where you need to go, you can even miss grabbing the sword and the game won't stop you turn you around and tell you to go back for it.

If Breath of the Wild is a success OoT will be a failure and a mistake, if Breath of the Wild is a failure OoT will be reconfirmed the greatest game of all time.
>>
>>343286094
Movies isnt art lmao
>>
>>343287496
>video games are monotonous, drawn out pieces of entertainment that are often completely devoid of originality or anything of emotional substance.
Why are you here? I'm not sure I can legitimately offer you a reply on why I disagree with you as you seem to actually hate video games, despite being on a board specifically for people who like video games.
>>
>>343289731
breath of the wild is just a rehash of modern video game design with "zelda" in the title. it has no bearing on OoT's legacy anymore than "gee maybe we shouldn't have been making the same game the past 20 years huh." hardly anything revelatory.

to say that breath of the wild's success will prove that OoT was a failure when it revolutionized 3D action adventure games and when none of these games that BotW takes influence from would even exist without is completely moronic and I have no idea how you managed to type so much without coming to this conclusion yourself.

the Zelda 1 connection marketing angle is also really stupid and nintendo needs to shut the fuck up with it. or maybe not because it's clearly fooling some people.

>>343290104
>I'm not sure I can legitimately offer you a reply on why I disagree with you as you seem to actually hate video games
it's actually because i'm objectively right. so there.
>>
>>343289731
Minish Cap was pretty different from the OoT formula, although I suppose it's a Capcom title so that'd make sense. Do you dislike the games that follow that formula, though? Like I certainly appreciate what BotW appears to want to do, but it's not like I didn't love every post-OoT Zelda I played

>>343289743
If you legitimately think movies don't qualify as an art form, you are watching the wrong films. There's plenty of big-name films that easily fall under the "art" label, and thousands of obscure ones.
>>
>>343289731
OoT's about as open as they could have been, considering the hardware and there isn't much more handholding than there was in ALttP and LA.

It definately got worse with every new game, but you can really blame OoT for that.
>>
>>343290338
lulz ive seen waaaaaaaaaaay too many Movies but is just dumb Entertainment.
>>
File: 1466694874221.gif (935 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1466694874221.gif
935 KB, 500x375
>>343281792
Jesus OP, it still says jazz in the first line.

Everyone post meme-music before the thread dies. Future-funk is a miracle of our time: https://youtu.be/PQx5Xz1BLj0
>>
>>343288409
>browsing /mu/
>memorising shitty pasta

autism
>>
His playthrough on grumps completely invalidated his sequelitis video.
>>
>>343290693
As shit as Arin is at the game, OoT still hasn't aged well and a lot of his points sill hold up
>>
>>343288409
>browsing /mu/
>>
>>343290482
I just cannot in any way believe you've seen a significant amount of movies that have attempted to be art
>>
>>343290978
why. Movies isnt even good at telling stories or those lame art films. books is far better. the only people that take Movies srz are kids
>>
>>343291264
ok it's bait got it

took me a while to catch on, I'm ashamed
>>
>>343291405
lulz u just sad Movies isnt respected faggot.
>>
>>343290309
>breath of the wild is just a rehash of modern video game design with "zelda" in the title. it has no bearing on OoT's legacy anymore than "gee maybe we shouldn't have been making the same game the past 20 years huh." hardly anything revelatory.

Please. Anything you "ground breaking" album you can think of was already built on the foundations set by its predecessors who were also following in their predecessors footsteps. The only truly groundbreaking music pieces these days are heading out in the direction of atonality, and barely anyone listens to that shit because it's not fucking accessible to most people. Video games are exactly the same - tried and true genres with splashes of innovation to them.

Music at most can immerse you in a trance-like emotional state. Video games are capable of doing that (since they have music IN THEM) and more because they engage the audience physically as well as passively.

Music and video games are just as retarded as each other. Stop acting like you're superior, especially when you praise a board with awful taste like /mu/.
>>
>>343291516
/thisparticularthreadofreplies
>>
>>343281792
He's right that most the people "in the know" as a profession don't actually know shit, which is baffling. Video Games are probably the biggest offender of this when compared to any other industry. The biggest names in gaming today are just goofy faced fags who found out making fart sounds or having controversial opinions on youtube could rake in millions, limp wristed cucks aggressively pushing an agenda disguised as critique or detached old men who have no idea what they are doing or what business they're in.

The worse part is, I don't blame them half the time. Today the audience is also ignorant it wouldn't do anyone any good to learn about old video games if they actually have a paying job involving providing game information to the public. Kids just want to hear about the new games like Overwatch, even if they're horrible. New, new, new; that's all they want.
>>
>>343281792
>Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times
>Game critics are still blinded by commercial success.
>Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way)

>(not true, by the way)

Well you just fucked over your entire statement by saying that, good work.
>>
>>343292312
>>343292535
Yo seriously this is a pasta that has been posted and reposted a thousand million times, stop falling for it. That Halo 4 comment is fucking cancer in that image though, like I don't blame anyone for not knowing who made Pong but don't rebut that by implying that Halo 4 is more relevant
>>
>>343291516
i agree with that but i find largely unoriginal music can still give me great enjoyment while an unoriginal game is immediately mind numbingly boring. furthermore music doesn't have to invent new sounds to be original, but it's more about combining sounds or techniques from different types of music to make something new and while games do this it's very rare that they ever succeed and make something enjoyable and memorable.

music in a game isn't part of the game unless it's a music game. if you're in a trance-like state you're unable to play a game anyway.

>>343291516
>Stop acting like you're superior, especially when you praise a board with awful taste like /mu/.
there's a difference between acting superior and being superior. music is a superior form of entertainment and art.

i only ever praised /mu/ IN RELATION to certain other boards on this site.
>>
>>343292902
Just for the sake of argument, let's say you're put on a desert island where food, water and shelter are provided to you. You're given a choice of access to either every piece of music ever made, or every video game either made. Which would you pick?

Obviously this situation is unlikely to ever happen to you, but it does bring up an interesting point in what video games have to offer the consumer as opposed to music; I think you'd have to be fairly stubborn to argue that you'd rather have just music to listen to for the rest of your life than a far more immersive experience which includes music, some of which is pretty excellent.
>>
>>343291516
I think the difference between music and vidya is that music is so much cheaper to make, allowing for people to explore the limits of what kind of music that -they- want to make, instead of solely being interested in making profit (though that is a big factor, most of the time), while vidya has a much bigger initial cost to develop them, leaving less room for experimentation and thus less truly innovative experiences.

Of course, there's a few stories of single people working on their dreamgame and some of these turn out to be successful, but most of them will remain in obscurity forever, which is a shame. But the same can be said of a lot of garage projects from musicians.
>>
File: 1466546119127.jpg (54 KB, 258x272) Image search: [Google]
1466546119127.jpg
54 KB, 258x272
>>343282030
You didn't add the best one.
>>
>>343281792
Yeah it is overrated, but I don't need a high school dropout with ADHD to tell me that, nor is it a bad game. OOT was revolutionary for its time and influenced many games, but that alone doesn't qualify it for the best game of all time. Alone in the Dark was also highly influential but I doubt anyone could say those games hold up today when there are so many better alternatives.
>>
>>343284512
>ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO ZICO
>GUILTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>343292902
>i agree with that but i find largely unoriginal music can still give me great enjoyment while an unoriginal game is immediately mind numbingly boring.

That is a result of your subjective tastes, tardo. There's plenty of mind-numbingly boring music out there. Just look at the entire genres of drone and ambient.
>>343293574
>music is so much cheaper to make
Considering how much equipment actually costs to record music, that's absolute horseshit. All you need to make a video game is a computer. Anything else can be pirated. Music on the other hand, requires equipment in the form of microphones, effects hardware, speakers, instruments etc.
>>
>>343281792
Well, there's also quite a lot of revisionist history when people cite OoT as being all that influential as well.

For example, most of the things it influenced were since dropped in almost all games. Or in cases like target lock, they were invented by older games, then used to slightly better effect in OoT, so it got the credit. Like how Resident Evil and Megaman Legends both had target lock on. But OoT let you move while locked on, so it "invented" it. Shit like that.
Not to mention that flavors of the month at the time (like Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII) had a much more noticeable impact and longer lasting effect on the industry, their genres and trends at the time. FFVII basically reinvented the JRPG genre and got literally dozens of rip offs. OoT got one shitty sequel and a few games borrowed a few ideas from it.

OoT was an OK game that got blew the fuck out of proportion because nintendoddlers didn't have that many good games to play at the time. So every single decent game they had got HUGE parades of cock suckers lining up for it.

On the other hand, if you pretend that PC, Saturn, the arcade and especially the PS1 didn't exist at the time, then sure. OoT deserves that praise. But that's not the reality here. The reality is that nintendrones are trying to make it seem like their favorite childhood toy outshines all the rest, and morons are believing them and spreading the meme.
>>
File: 1465173033433.png (1 MB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
1465173033433.png
1 MB, 853x1280
>>343286094
>post-modernism
Post modernism is shit.
>>
>>343286094

Movies (and literature, music, etc.) can and often do deliver a particular message.

Video games are designed solely for entertainment.
>>
>>343294181
I can do music without any instrument, just by singing, whistling and clapping my hands. Making music does not need recording

Good luck making a videogame without an instrument
>>
>>343294250
at least I can agree with you there.

>movies arn't art
mhm, and jesus wasn't jewish.

>vidya cannot be art because its entertainment
what about lsd dream emulator, and soundimageswords? you do little else but experience a virtual art world. thats the game.

i'd say myst too but that has puzzles at least.
>>
>>343294587
Clapping and whistling are a superior artform compared to video games. You heard it here first, folks.
>>
>>343294181
>music is somehow more expensive to make than games
I'm not talking about instruments and computers, you dumb fuck. I'm talking about the cost of human capital, having actual people work on it, and with vidya development times being way higher than music's, this leads to way higher costs, also because of bigger teams.

I'm not talking about the million dollar games where a quarter of the budget is spent on marketing and that kind of shit. Let's take two indie examples, the first being Superhot. It raised 250k on kickstarter and apparently 250k at a later date, so in total this game cost about half a million to make, from prototype to final product. Not a lot of new ideas being implemented in this stage, the thinking was already done at an earlier stage. Let's not take that into consideration.
Now let's take a look at the average cost to record an album, with most indie studios costing between 5 and 10k to use a studio for two weeks, more than enough to record anything you've written before. Though ofcourse, musicians only get paid at a later stage when the album sells, instead of the fixed salary most programmers get.
>>
>>343294925
I'm just saying that you can do music just with your body, thus it's cheaper to make music than to create a videogame.

Also I added that creating music does not need a mean of recording it. Improvisation is still music.

Nice reading comprehension and logical reasoning mate
>>
>>343286397
>is the act of jumping from one platform to the next art?

I think you're missing something important about what makes art 'art'.
This is the definition of art
>noun
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
"the art of the Renaissance"
synonyms: fine art, artwork
"he studied art"
the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
"the visual arts"

>the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination
>creative activity

These two things imply that art is not simply just about making high budget entertainment or paintings or books.
Instead it is the interaction of an individual and the subject matter that creates art.

Cooking is an art not because of whats presented but because of the skill it takes to make a dish.
Painting isn't an art but it is how those paintings make a person think critically and analyze what they are feeling about the piece to reflect emotions upon themselves.
Video games are not an art, but Playing Video Games would be. This is because the interaction of the player choosing how he wants to play reflects his emotions and actions which leads to
>creative activity
>>
Stan getz is better than Coltrane, as is Paul Desmond
>>
>>343282125
No surprises there, Arin was a highschool dropout.
>>
Wait, is the pressing the Sean copying button decision as Q not supposed to show up on the flow?
>>
>>343296164
you make a great point, but
>Video games are not an art, but Playing Video Games would be
you're saying that people like pewdiepie are more art than the people who spend years on making something they love, and I don't like it.
>>
>>343294285
>entertainment can't be art
>>
File: observes.jpg (164 KB, 499x514) Image search: [Google]
observes.jpg
164 KB, 499x514
>>343286397
If you've ever played a shit game you know exactly why it's shit. But the reason a good game is good can sometimes be harder to pin down. In that sense I think there is a bit of artistry to game design. But that's like, my opinion man.
>>
>Can't figure things out 8 year olds have no trouble with.
>Endlessly dies to Ganon because he can't figure out how the camera works after 30 hours of playing the game.
>Wears the hover boots for everything.

Grown man mad at game made for children.
>>
>>343297963
same goes with movies. Surely movies can be analysed until eternity on why something (framing or editing are some of the less obvious examples) is or isn't good, but most people who watch a 'good' movie will intuitively feel whether it's good or not, without delving into the depths of analysis.
>>
>>343285524
noonegiveafug.jpg
>>
File: bazooper.jpg (158 KB, 1071x999) Image search: [Google]
bazooper.jpg
158 KB, 1071x999
>>343290629
>>
>>343282125
>>343296810

retards
>>
>>343298742
Nice argument.
>>
>>343298218
Yeah. There are these youtube videos I've been watching lately that dive deep into directorial techniques for movies and I never realized just how much thought went into making a movie good. Something as minute as how long you hold a shot can seriously change the meaning of a scene. It made me really appreciate how much effort goes into making a film good.
>>
I kind of want to watch Arin suck at OoT, but fuck it if there's 19 hours of that shit. I'll just wait for the highlights (or lowlights, rather).
>>
>>343297976
The camera and combat in this game are pretty shit.
>>
Ocarina of Time is far from perfect but it's still better than LttP

I'm not really much of a Zelda fan, only ones that ever really resonated with me were Link's Awakening (mainly because it's the only one I had growing up so that's purely nostalgia) and Wind Waker.
>>
File: KillMe.png (1 MB, 1470x869) Image search: [Google]
KillMe.png
1 MB, 1470x869
>>343281792
Did he actually say this, and if so, where? I don't remember this in the Sequalitis he made on OoT.
>>
>>343299916
Ok. Doesn't change the fact that he's worse than a tiny child at it and then proceeds to yell and blame the game every time he doesn't understand something.
>>
>>343281792
>comparing apples and oranges
Opinion discarded. Try as you might there is no way to objectively review a 2d game against a 3d game without having bias.
>>
>Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest.

Does this read to anyone else like he's just making up things to complain about because he doesn't have an actual argument?

I mean, yeah I'll give you that at this point a lot of people say it's the best because someone else said the same thing to them, and someone said the same thing to that person, and so on, but never once have I heard it was the best because it sold the best.
>>
>>343282860
I agree, I love all of those games, but you're right about them trying to copy the OoT formula over and over again. CoD showed us that the same re-hashed game over and over doesn't work. I'm excited to see what they do with the next one. It'll be a good next step I think to freshen up the series.
>>
>>343300329
Kinda.
Getting mad at fanboys for thinking it's the best game ever is a waste of time. You would have to be mad at every single fanbase then.
>>
>>343286094
It's an exclusive club and the new entertainment medium has to bend over backwards to prove itself.
>>
>>343281792
Not at all. He contradicts himself constantly. He'll praise Castlevania 2 for attempting more of a horror approach when Castlevania 1 "just had goofy skeletons throwing bones" but then he'll criticize it having a darker color palate compared to the overly bright colors of the original. Opinions are one thing but this guy can't seem to hold on to a single thread properly.

It's also extremely insulting that he criticizes OoT's spinning spike thing for, supposedly, coming out of nowhere when nearly every room in the game presents itself in such a manner that most of the immediate threats are clearly visible and readily understood. There are several good examples otherwise (I've never been a fan of the moving spike things right before you get the bomb bag) but pointing out that one obstacle in the ice cavern is meant solely for people who've never played the game or have forgotten that segment. It's bullshit and a prime example of low hanging fruit. Either he's baiting like a fucking madman or he's just really, really awful at certain video games, which is crazy since apparently he can beat Castlevania but not OoT.

tl;dr - I don't like his opinions or the way he presents them.
>>
>>343292640
>but don't rebut that by implying that Halo 4 is more relevant
Basically. You don't have to be a fucking encyclopedia (although Bushnell making Pong is fairly easy) but don't packpedal and make excuses either. What a four year old game has to do with video game history, which in itself is hardly half a century old, is beyond me.
>>
>Despite all the amount of reviews he's done for movies and music as well as his great music taste, Scaruffi will forever be caricatured just because he called the Beatles overrated
>>
>>343302145
He did later say that he realized that most of his points in the zelda sequelitis were stupid, including the spinning spike. At least he admits he's wrong instead of clinging onto his statements even when they are blowing up in front of him.

What I want to know is why he ever thought that having something like a Goron companion would be a good idea considering the N64's infamous companion AIs.
>>
>>343281792
Arin needs to die.
>>
>>343284934
I think he means that if you were facing away from an enemy and wanted to center it behind link to ignore the enemy, it would autocenter on the enemy anyways. happened to me a lot when i played it and its my only gripe with the camera
>>
File: 2025_zpsa5357459.png (431 KB, 465x800) Image search: [Google]
2025_zpsa5357459.png
431 KB, 465x800
If you're going to whine about games not being taken seriously as a medium I better see actual footage of you trying to kill David Cage
>>
>>343282137
True
>>
File: 1467143127748.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1467143127748.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>343282030
>Turbo man is winning
>>
We really need to stop caring or giving a fuck if some hipsters or the world at large considers our hobby "art".

If it's art to us, that's all that matters. We don't need their validation.
>>
>>343282454
This
>>
It shows that he doesn't know shit about music. Duke "the Duke" Ellignton was one of the most successful Jazz composers and musicians of his era with worldwide tours, shows on every continent, appearances on radio talk shows, one of the few black artists to be allowed to perform for the US military during WW2, and loved across the US while being considered one of the "good niggers" by the white media.

Coltrane died at a young age but had a huge impact on free jazz and was one of the most successful jazz musicians, considered a legend practically from the start of his career.
>>
has anyone made a sequelitis comparing his megaman episode against his ocarina of time episode?
>>
>>343294627
>movies arn't art
u right
>>
>>343306690
>We really need to stop caring or giving a fuck if some hipsters or the world at large
>>343306690
>>343306690
>>343306690
>>343306690
wat
>>
>>343309153
I am confused at your confusion.
>>
>>343281792

No he isn't. He is just too autistic to wait for opportunities to attack because he wants to sit there and drool with his mouth wide open and spam countless attacks. The game doesn't let him so he calls the game bad.
>>
I thought OoT might contend for it until I played FFVII. There''s a reason why its so highly regarded
>>
>>343281792
he is right

2nd hand nostalgia is cancer, also oot and pretty much the entire library of n64 games are garbage much like the wii
>>
>>343292312
>says you know a lot of video game
>knows nothing about the first game console
Fuck that is a stupid lying cunt.
>>
@343311606
you''re gonna have to work harder than that to get this (You)
>>
>>343281792
It may not be the greatest game ever but it certainly is the base for most popular action games.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.