[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /v/. I've never played a Legend of Zelda game, but I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: lz2YeNM.png (228 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
lz2YeNM.png
228 KB, 460x215
So, /v/. I've never played a Legend of Zelda game, but I've heard so much about the series I thought I might give it a go.

So, where do I start? I know there's something about diverging timelines, and some are stand-alones or something. Is emulation the best/easiest way to play them nowadays?

I'd appreciate the help, /v/.
>>
>>343280968
Project64 and Ocarina Of Time
>>
windwaker + phantom hourglass is best

forget the timeline bullshit. it's the same story every time.
>>
play a link to the past
Dont bother with the timeline, there is none and its just speculationfags that have too much time
>>
>>343280968

I'd start with some of the 2D first, though if you play one do OoT.
>>
>>343280968
Start with either LttP or OoT. No one gives a shit about the lore, other than people who really didn't want a female link option in BotW
>>
>>343281409
there is an official nintendo timeline shitface
>>
>>343281802
Only made to sell guides to said retards
>>
>>343281802
They clearly made the games before thinking about where they would fit in in the timeline.
>>
>>343280968
Good starting points:
Ocarina of time
Link to the past
Wind Waker

Once you've played these you can play any as they're variations on them.
Zelda 1 should be played at some point as well.
>>
Go play Link to the Past first. If you liked 2D, might wanna check out the Handheld games, most of them are 2D. If you want 3D, play Ocarina of Time.
>>
File: 1456585908978.png (344 KB, 342x459) Image search: [Google]
1456585908978.png
344 KB, 342x459
>>343281249
>phantom hourglass
>>
>>343280968
Wind Waker is shit, don't let people trick you into it. You'll be sailing for 30% of the game doing literally fucking nothing except dodging enemies in the same pattern the whole way to a new island

Then there is a part in the game where you have to grind rupees and go find fucking treasure charts.. There are only 5 dungeons which are 'elemental' themed so they ripped off Ocarina of time.

The artstyle is fucking awesome and fits the LoZ concept well but the actual gameplay is mediocre. Oh and the soundtrack is great.

Pick from:
>Link to the Past
>Ocarina of Time

If you like 3d then start at OoT then go to Majora's Mask (the gameplay-wise sequel. Honestly the stories aren't related so you could start there but it is harder)

Link to the Past is really the best zelda game overall. It is relatively bug free. Fuck tons of dungeons that you can do in almost any order. Lots of cool upgrades and items and a very neat light/dark world mechanic. Soundtrack is ok.
>>
>>343281802
It exists but makes literally no sense and does fucking nothing for the enjoyment of the series.

It was made to shut you fangays up and take your fucking money you shill.
>>
>>343280968
A Link to the Past. Then you proceed from there in just about whatever order.

The only things you need to consider are
Leave Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for last.
Only play Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time.
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages are separate games, you're meant to play both not just pick one.

Aside from that just go ahead and play them in whatever order, though A Link to the Past is still a good starting point.
>>
>>343280968
Link to the Past for sure.

OoT is LttP in 3D so don't bother.

Then go for either Majora Mask or Twilight Princess.

Wind Waker then the GB Zeldas.
>>
>>343280968
>So, where do I start? I know there's something about diverging timelines, and some are stand-alones or something.
Only autists pay attention to those. You can consider every Zelda game as a stand alone like 99% of the Zelda players and you won't miss shit.
>Is emulation the best/easiest way to play them nowadays?
Yes.

Also the original, the CDI games, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword and Wind Waker are complete shit.

If you want to start with a real core Zelda experience, start with A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.
>>
File: 1466101145182.png (264 KB, 840x876) Image search: [Google]
1466101145182.png
264 KB, 840x876
Ocarina of time is overrated. It has great atmosphere, but is brain-dead to play. Go straight for the original, unless you are not good at games, because it will frustrate you. But once you get past the absolute danger of its overworld, it will be the most engaging and adventurous game you've played.

Link to the Past is quintessential Zelda, Majora's Mask is super immersive and loaded with more sidequests than dungeons, and Wind Waker probably has the best spirit of adventure and is charming as fuck. All are better than OoT.

Not to say OoT is bad. Feel free to give it a try. It doesn't open up until after the first dungeon, and it takes three dungeons for the story to pick up. All the dungeons after that are amazing in their atmosphere. But I always lose motivation knowing I have a slog of dungeons to go through. I want to explore.
>>
Honestly, if you know you'll like the 2d games, LttP is fantastic but I'd recommend playing the Oracle games aswell, or even first.
All of the capcom games are surprisingly good, and oracle of seasons is probably my favourite zelda in terms of replayability.

A lot of people bag out Zelda 2, but it really comes from Nintendo Power bullshit from the 80s where they made progression intentionally obscure to sell magazines. Don't fall for the memes; the gameplay is fucking hard and unforgiving, but with with a guide it's a very rewarding experience.
The first zelda is similar, but much more forgiving. Just use an NES emulator for it alongside an overworld map until you get stuck.

In terms of 3D, Wind Waker HD was a good port, regardless of the graphical 'enhancements', but I'd recommend playing it after ther other 3d zeldas.
None of OoT, MM or the Wii version of TP have C-stick camera control, and It's a pain to get used to having it and and then hating it's absence.

Do not play Skyward Sword
>>
Jeez guys. The correct answer is Link Between Worlds. Might not be the best overall but it combines all the best elements of all Zelda games into one to give a concentrated liquid Zelda experience.
>>
>>343280968
Try out 2D Zelda to begin with
Good games to start with is Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds
If 2D isn't your thing, play 3D Zeldas
Refrain from playing Ocarina until you're at least familiar with the format, so play Wind Waker or Twilight Princess first instead

Also, you shouldn't give a shit about the timeline
>>
>>343286773
Was the item renting stuff done well? The only Zeldas I'm yet to play are this, minish cap and the DS games, but I'm unsure about whether the item renting adds to the games or sours the whole point of dungeons
>>
OP here, I'm setting up emulation and I've just encountered a big issue.

The Project64 program is absolutely riddled with malware/adware.

Anybody got any alternatives?
>>
>>343287062
You lose them if you die, its basically just there so you can do the dungeons in any order you want. Plus you can buy them for a lot of cash if you want. I thought it'd be shit but it actually works really well.
>>
>>343285452
Retard.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.