[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, as the fifth and final entry of the metal gear solid series,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: mgs5_phantom_pain_e3_leak.jpg (30 KB, 605x250) Image search: [Google]
mgs5_phantom_pain_e3_leak.jpg
30 KB, 605x250
So, as the fifth and final entry of the metal gear solid series, what was the point in this game?

It was just a pretty looking open world stealth game with repetitive arcade missions and ridiculous grinding.

We were misled by the trailers pretty hard. This was meant to be the missing link in the series, that shows us Big Boss's descent from war hero to complete villainy, but instead we played as some retarded doppelganger while the real big boss's story was completely ignored and not touched upon.

What a dumb fucking retarded cop out to the final entry in the series.

What is the point in this game?
>>
Its an epilogue, whereas MGS4 was the ending
>>
>>343271085
Oh look it's this thread again.

From my understanding, the reason the plot sucks is because konami had it rushed to release before it was finished.
>>
>>343271085
>This was meant to be the missing link in the series, that shows us Big Boss's descent from war hero to complete villainy, but instead we played as some retarded doppelganger while the real big boss's story was completely ignored and not touched upon.
The only Big Boss story that matters is the one in MGS3, but even that one is questionable.

MGSVs story is actually pretty decent for what it is, the only shame is that it was chopped to hell and never fully developed.
>>
>>343271085
>What is the point in this game?

MGS V was like a critical point for /v/ and most gaming forums. It's were reality and memes collided and I couldn't tell which was which. I'm truly astound by the plebness surrounding this game. We all knew that it was going to be complicated for a lot of people to follow, sitting between Peace Walker and MG but we never expected the majority of the fanbase to be this detached and... well, casual. We started making memes and literally everyone fell for them.

And now for the past months we have been getting these moronic threads, stealth begging to be told wtf happened in the game. "The game is incomplete", yes that's actually a meme, "content was cut", also a meme, "the story didn't matter" that's a meme... etc...etc

I mean if you don't understand why Venom is a fundamental character for the whole franchise to make sense, you were conned by the hype to play a game that was not for you. I'm not even trying to defend the game. In all seriousness you are truly retarded OP.
>>
>>343271356
>before it was finished.
>>343271412
>chopped to hell and never fully developed.

you are also retarded. seriously.
>>
>>343271085
A continuation of the series-long theme that legends/heroes are mostly fictional.
Which is why a very good soldier by the name of Big Medic was able to perform on the level of the legendary hero Big Boss.

I'm not sure if it was worth sacrificing the actual character development of Big Boss though.
Kojima might have tried to force a twist in the story too hard.
>>
File: 1466008555924.jpg (82 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1466008555924.jpg
82 KB, 630x630
>>343271149
>>343271085
Here's your answer OP now stop posting this thread over and over
>>
Get over it.

Move on with your life.

There are more games to play.

The trailers were too self-serious for their own good anyway.
>>
I want konami to make another open world metal gear. Refine the gameplay, remove the grinding, make the maps less empty. Just make a fun game with the same gameplay as mgs5 and I'll be happy, I don't need Kojima's writing. Hell there's probably fanfics or there that are better than PP.
>>
Phantom Pain

Not kidding, the trailers prove it.
>>
>fifth entry
>>
>>343271085

It's not even pretty, Africa is one of the ugliest open world maps I've ever seen.
>>
>>343271085
It was just a big sandbox to fuck around with. Emphasis on sand. The game was all about player agency. Venom was just a way of giving the player "Big Boss" without any worries of dissonance between his actions and the player's. He's just an avatar, and the story is just a way of giving said avatar some shit to do. He doesn't matter much, and the entire war between XOF and DD is pretty irrelevant to the greater story.

For good or ill, it's what we got. There wasn't much left to say or do with Big Boss and Kojima probably realized it.
>>
It's half-finished. There will never be a point.
>>
File: 1464659986499.jpg (547 KB, 741x675) Image search: [Google]
1464659986499.jpg
547 KB, 741x675
>>343273704
>He's just an avatar
>and the entire war between XOF and DD is pretty irrelevant to the greater story.

wrong and wrong. I have never seen an entry in any franchise exposing a huge chunk of the fanbase for such plebs. seriously, have you even played the rest of the games ?
>>
>>343273873
>It's half-finished.

also wrong. there's no loose ends in the franchise that MGS V doesn't tie.
>>
the downfall of BB was in PW, he does plan to get nukes and start to build outer heaven 5 minutes after the ending.

this game was pure fan service, but we didn't get it
>>
File: 1461704686614.jpg (29 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1461704686614.jpg
29 KB, 640x640
>>343272235

>that guy who insists MGSV dosent have cut content when Kojima himself has lamented at the game being unfinished
>>
>>343274101
Except for the ones it creates. It doesn't matter, nothing needed to be explained.
Putting aside the story, it's still half-finished. The missions are repetitive and the level design is ass. Peace Walker had more interesting combat and weapons/items.
>>
>>343273940
I have. And yes, Venom Snake is largely just an avatar. He has some (poorly handled) thematic purpose, and he displays more sentimentality than Big Boss, but he's generally a somewhat noble blank slate for the player to project onto. It's why he barely ever talks.

As for the war, yeah, it's pretty irrelevant. Skull Face is responsible for crippling Zero, but he's not much more than a footnote otherwise.
>>
>>343274469
>Venom Snake is largely just an avatar.

If you want to pretend you have a strong hold on the story, don't say "largely just". You are still baiting me to tell you the rest.

>>343274469
>Skull Face is responsible for crippling Zero

You are getting there.
>>
I think it could be considered an unfinished masterpiece. What we got was a bunch of elements that had a lot of potemtial, but in the end - after a long but ultimately incomplete development cycle, was a copy/paste mission based game stretched out over an open world.
>>
>>343274798
Not even the guy you're talking to, but you're a faggot. nobody cares what you think or what you have to say.
>>
>>343274798
There is no rest. He's an avatar with some stuff on identity and loss mixed in. Ultimately he's a footnote--instead of Snake fighting Big Boss who survives, he fights Venom who dies. That's Venom's contribution to the greater narrative.

Skull Face's significance is limited to MGSV itself aside from the ramifications of his attack on Zero.
>>
File: 1406255023808.jpg (9 KB, 300x209) Image search: [Google]
1406255023808.jpg
9 KB, 300x209
>Peace Walker
>Big Boss recruits hundreds of soldiers, becoming brothers in arms with them and making their lives better
>Gets to run it with his best friend Kaz
>Meets a bunch of people while trying to save the world, each with their own unique backstory and traits
>When not saving the fucking world (again), gets to train, play soccer, fish and cook at mother base
>Shit couldn't get any better

>MGSV
>Paz is dead
>Chico is dead
>Amanda is gone
>Cecile is dead
>Kaz is a mentally scarred cripple
>Huey is tortured relentlessly
>Hundreds of your own soldiers are dead
>Quiet ends up leaving you
>The only thing you managed to accomplish was destroying a metal gear
>You don't even play as big boss

I fucking hate MGSV
>>
>>343275987
>>Cecile is dead
Isn't she just in France?
She left before GZ happened.
Right?
>>
>>343275763
Imo he was a device to show how far big boss will go to get his way, compared to mgs 3 bb and PO/PW big boss. He clearly disregards venom's life and takes it from him to continue his legend and save his own ass. Whether big boss genuinely thinks that's an honor or not is irrelevant, it's morally fucked. Compare that to the guy from mgs3 who would outright shit on a legend of himself, or snake who would do the same and downplay it with realism.

He's clearly drank his own kool aid by that point, which is clearly indicated in the final tape where he's manipulating venom like he's still one of his underlings. Venom clearly has bought into it, then reality sets in and he realizes he got used.

So IMO it's not fair to just write venom off like he's irrelevant, because I think he's the big boss fox hound praises in mgs1 for being kind and loving and all that. We just didn't get a complete game.
>>
>>343275987
Yeah she's alive
>>
>>343273940
>no counter point
Who's the real pleb here
>>
>>343273663
Aside from wetlands Africa is pretty based. There just needs to be more jungles
>>
>>343272164
*tips fedora*
>>
Explains why Zero was put out of the picture in the later games, even though they could have gone with "he got fucking old." Dude was somehow still alive in MGS4 even though he served no more purpose nor was even mentally aware of anything at that point.
>>
>>343271149
>epilogue
>prequel
u wot
>>
>>343271085
>that shows us Big Boss's descent from war hero to complete villainy
except that already happens in PW, building the nuke seals the deal

Big Boss is a charismatic leader, the kind people will follow blindly into war (and do). He sends thousands of men to their death just because he believes in war as an ideology.
>>
MGS is about themes not plot.
>>
>>343276489
Then MGSV didn't really cover Race all that well.
>>
>>343276208
We already knew Big Boss was a manipulative, self-centered cunt. We've known that since the original game came out nearly 30 years ago.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Big Boss's relationship with Venom (I think it's obvious and agree with it), but I don't think it makes Venom himself all that much more relevant. I don't see the need for Venom to be the Big Boss mentioned in MGS1, either. We already knew Big Boss was a charismatic benefactor from MG2. And Gray Fox himself works with Big Boss in MG2 and was also in FOXHOUND, so I find it difficult to believe the Big Boss that he and Naomi had a relationship with was Venom. As for Sniper Wolf, who knows?
>>
>>343275987
>destroying a metal gear
You disable it, then you fix it, then it dies on the way back to its home planet.
>>
any body else simply dropped the game in chapter 2? got to the main mission where you need to destroy some tanks and i just close the game, has happened about 4 times.
>>
>>343276817
The Quiet one?
>>
>>343276138
She's alive, left prior to the events of ground zeroes
>>
>>343276610
Maybe you're right and it was pointless. I personally avoided peace walker cuz I felt like it wasn't what I wanted from an mgs game with all the weird anime stuff, so I think mgs v for me was much more jarring because the last game I had played was portable OPs and gene is basically what big boss becomes, while big boss is still dealing with the after effects of snake eater.

So I kinda have a different take on his character and missed his advancement into crazy warlord from PW.
>>
>>343276840
it's called Proxy War Without End
>>
>>343271085
>descent from war hero to complete villainy

It kind of showed it. When you do something that is true to you chances are this will be the worst thing possible to somebody else.

He just wanted to give a free country to soldiers and most of the world fears and hates soldiers and wars, yet war is the only life that he knows. So even if his nature is of good intentions he is still a demon to majority of people.
>>
>>343276610
Also seems like a weird character shift, as the dude wakes up a few weeks before his doppleganger does.

Ocelot brings up the fact that the entire hospital is his shield and he's just fine with it. Ocelot doing that makes some sense, but BB would not be in favor of such a thing. Shouldn't even have brought that up at all, even.
>>
>>343276456
You have to think of MGS on the thematic level, Koima dosent care about face value continuity.

On that thematic level, MGSV is a very fitting "epilogue" to the series after MGS4 which was meant to end it all.
>>
>>343274269
What loose ends does MGSV make and not tie up? The only one that I can think of is Liquid running off with Sahelanthropus, but that is tied up with the bluray that came with the collectors edition.
>>
Is there a way to get a 100% save file for ground zeroes on ps4? I don't want to keep repeating the same missions for 100%.
>>
What does Quiet smell like /v/?
>>
>>343279902
If she sweats she'd just reabsorb it through her skin so I'm going to assume she doesn't.
She also wouldn't want to use deodorant or perfume because she'd absorb it, and because ideally soldiers shouldn't smell of anything, so they can't be smelled by dogs/enemy soldiers as easily.
So she probably doesn't smell like anything, except maybe a faint aroma of gunpowder.
>>
>>343275987
PHANTOM PAIN
>>
>>343275987
You play as the MSF's best soldier Allogator who avenges his comrades in peace walker

I say that makes a good story
>>
It's a love letter to the fans. Gives you an open world, full stealth, a bunch of toys/weapons, and a story that stars the actual player as Big Boss.

It's a shame if you thought you were getting some missing piece in the grand MGS saga, and maybe it could've happened if he had more time, but as it stands it's a great game with plenty of messages of love from Kojima to every player who's played the series
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.