[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>benighted plebs ACTUALLY think story, graphics, soundtrack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: 1458611582080.jpg (662 KB, 1888x1280) Image search: [Google]
1458611582080.jpg
662 KB, 1888x1280
>benighted plebs ACTUALLY think story, graphics, soundtrack or anything BUT gameplay in a game fucking matter

If I wanted a story, I'd read a book, similar to how if I wanted to look at pretty visuals I'd watch a fucking movie or browse art pieces, and how if I wanted to listen to something nice I'd listen to a fucking song. Video games are the ONLY interactive medium out there, so why are so many people praising games that take the most intrinsic and ubiquitous fucking principle of them away? (case in point: telltale games)

>"b-b-but I can choose my OWN story and outcome!"

Lol no. All telltale games end up at the same point no matter what you do, and so does every other glib story that ham fists its "malleable" plot into the game, utterly fooling the player with the pretense of choice. Remember mass effect 3? 3 fucking games worth of content, and where did it end up? Literally the exact same point no matter what you did. Shephard could've rubbed his own shit on his face for 3 games straight and still end up with the same ending.

Think of it this way. Imagine a song starts playing, and 30 seconds in a recording of some guy just starts reading some story from god knows what book for the next 5 minutes or so, then the music plays for a little while, then the guy starts reading the story again. It wouldn't really be considered a song, just an incomprehensible mess of shit that can't figure out whether it's an audiobook or the recording of a song. Or watching a movie and then out of nowhere the screen becomes black and random music just plays for 30 minutes straight and when the movie cuts back it's in a totally different place. Or how about while reading a novel and one of the chapters is nothing but pictures of different colours for 50 pages. None of this would be allowed, so why the fuck is it in games?
>>
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19 KB, 320x299
updated your butthurt
>>
>>343266876
Enjoy paying $60 for a literal movie
>>
consider sudoku
>>
I disagree with you OP but you're right about ME3 and Telltale games being trash, I think story can be well-implemented with gameplay to a degree and that stuff like soundtrack/visuals can add a lot to the experience even if they're less important than the gameplay
>>
File: tldr.png (14 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
tldr.png
14 KB, 240x200
congrats, nobody gives a fuck
>>
>>343266974
If it's a good product, why does it matter how much it relies on story? What do you get out of restricting games to gameplay only besides limiting what people want to create?

Also the last paragraph of your opening post is retarded meaningless rot that doesn't make any point at all, I can't believe someone thought that was a coherent argument.
>>
>>343266485
>If I wanted
Stop reading there, fucking nigger solve your own issue and play games that you like you fucking nigger. Why are you playing games you dont even like to start with, you fucking nigger?
>>
>>343267645
>people aren't allowed to try things and form an opinion based on the experience
>>
>>343266485
>presentation doesn't matter
I agree story doesn't matter but you're a fucking pleb who parrots youtube comments if you think that gameplay is the absolute only thing that matters.
>>
File: OP.jpg (78 KB, 470x647) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
78 KB, 470x647
>>343266485
Move on people nothing to see here.
>>
File: 1466135855956.gif (415 KB, 480x238) Image search: [Google]
1466135855956.gif
415 KB, 480x238
>>343266485
>>
File: gwf.jpg (41 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
gwf.jpg
41 KB, 600x400
>>
>>343267885
Yeah because presentation matters in things like chess and tetris and solitaire. Who gives a fuck what it looks like? You could replace the rook piece with a giant black cock, still doesn't mean it's not a rook
>>
>>343268014
>tfw the (You) only really started taking off about 6 months ago and another 12 months before that on /vg/
Such is life of the memes.
>>
>>343268062
>the only video games are chess tetris and solitare
You need to work on your bait
>>
>>343266485
Why can't I have it all at once. Unlike OP, most people take in all the before mentioned parts of a game without their autism overwhelming them resulting in a bed-wetting temper tantrum freak show.

Go smoke a joint OP, you'll thank me later.
>>
>>343268385
Chess, tetris and solitaire have 0 story, ergo presentation is irrelevant
>>
>>343268385
You're trying to apply this to all gaming, when the games you listed i could play on a fucking old school nokia?
>>
>>343268062
You are mentally retarded. I guess if every single game had all meaningful objects replaced with a racecar, it wouldn't matter either?

Fucking Helen Keller would kill to have the gifts you have, but you disregard them as just an annoyance. Count your blessings you cheeky cunt.
>>
>>343266485
>Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla I'm better than you

Is it hard walking around all day with such a big head?
>>
>>343268687
>I cherrypicked 3 games that don't need presentation so videogames as a whole don't need presentation
You can bait better than that anon
>>
>>343266485
>If I

Stopped reading right there faggot OPEE :^)
>>
>>343268857
Pretty much only autistic fucktards would care about something as unnecessary as what something looks like in a medium where it's literally the most irrelevant thing
>>
While a nagging part of me is looking at this and saying "It must be bait, Anon, don't answer with anything but a single meme image", I've actually seen people making this argument seriously. So I'm going to play the OP's game, because it's the same one I play anyway when people make this argument seriously, as thanks for the bait.

OP makes the argument that all story and presentation are interrupting the game. That's sometimes true about story, particularly in action-heavy games that tell a lot of their stories through cutscenes more than anything, but it's simply false about presentation elements like graphics and sound, which tend to be present throughout gameplay. It would be just as false to say that "music is irrelevant in games" as it would be to say "music is irrelevant in movies": the foundation of games is gameplay, the foundation of movies is images displayed rapidly on a screen to give the illusion of movement, but the right music can make a good movie great and an average movie better, and even in a bad movie, like Star Wars Episode I, the music can be a rare bright point.

While we're talking Star Wars, imagine if some Disney executive, when presented with the idea of a digitally remastered but otherwise pure Blu-Ray release of the original trilogy as they were seen in theaters, decided that kids today didn't want to listen to that classical crap and wanted to replace the entire John Williams-scored soundtrack with dubstep. It would be the wrong choice: the rather archetypal hero's journey story and spiritualism versus militarism conflict of Star Wars requires a richer, more dignified score, and would transform into a farce under Skrillex.

That is of course an implausible exaggeration of positions, but so were the OP's assertions about music interrupting movies and stories interrupting songs. And visuals are even more of a constant presence in video games than music is in either medium, making OP seem even more thoroughly incorrect.
>>
>>343270934
Excellently put. I'm sure someone "pretending" to be retarded will offer some non-argument in rebuttal shortly though.
>>
>>343270934
>>343271797
all me :)
>>
>>343266485
>If I wanted a story, I'd read a book
no you wont you faggot

story in games is mostly why i still play them, gameplay becomes a chore after 1hour of gameplay when it doesnt offer anything new anymore.
>>
>>343270934
(CONT)
Of course, that's music and graphics, which in many video games are placed right alongside to the gameplay, and never so much interrupt it as underline it in a memorable way. Now for the place where a blind squirrel has absolutely found a nut: story. Yes, OP, and all those who seriously consider opinions he speaks as bait: cutscenes and heavy exposition, as most commonly executed in mainstream games, interrupt gameplay.

Fans are divided over whether that's tolerable or not depending on the game, because in many ways it is execution, as well as what the game's primary appeal is. Because not all games are sold on pure gameplay, just like not every movie is appealing purely for its cinematography. Cinematography is the foundation of movies, in the same way that gameplay is the foundation of games, but only movie geeks would care if it wasn't for these other elements. Stories, characters, dialogue. Often times an action movie stops the explosions and gunfights for long enough to get a dialogue scene, and those scenes can often be quite memorable if done well. Other times a character impresses people enough just by personality, or a connection between two characters appeals enough to audiences, that we get memes and shipping out of it because the audience doesn't want to let the characters go.

Similarly, a lot of gamers cared about Aerith's death, which happened in a cutscene where, for a short time, the level grinding and boss fights paused to watch what in gameplay had probably just been your party's mage get stabbed by what by that point you had probably figured would be either the final boss or the fight right before it. This, not the Materia system, not the level design, not grinding your ass off before a big nasty boss, is what's most remembered about Final Fantasy VII. And it happens when gameplay takes a rest and lets story briefly take over.
>>
File: nahm8.png (36 KB, 1279x359) Image search: [Google]
nahm8.png
36 KB, 1279x359
>>343271837
I can hardly say I "called it" if my post invites such a response, but I called it. Thanks for the (You) though, I'll give you a reacharound for your trouble.
>>
>>343272337
(CONT)
The problem, then, isn't that cutscenes are inherently bad, but that they're badly used. So many ways to get things across, and oftentimes momentum of gameplay does end up taking a hit when you get stuck watching the good guy and bad guy talk for five minutes, especially when the rest of the story has been delivered through similar exposition-heavy cutscenes and thus the bad cutscenes have left you unimpressed with the plot. And yeah, a lot of games just lack good stories thus far. It's usually either something simple and not developed enough to overcome that simplicity, or something so overcomplicated that you could stuff a whole wiki with it and still be leaving out endless supplemental materials that never left Japan, or just a bad movie plot chopped up and put between the gameplay segments. That's execution, though, not theory. What little bits of story that have resonated with fans give hope that it can be done better someday.

In short, and if you're looking for a TL;DR this is the closest you're getting: gameplay is a foundation. If your foundation isn't sturdy enough, your house is falling down. Similarly, if gameplay isn't good, the game will be shit. But the foundation isn't the only part of a house, and gameplay isn't all of your video game.
>captcha: select all pictures of a house
>>
File: snake-a_2532036b.jpg (18 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
snake-a_2532036b.jpg
18 KB, 620x387
>Films can't have sountracks
>Songs can't have stories or messages
>Books can't have artwork on the cover

Graphics, sountracks, and story contextualize and enhance gameplay.

Removing all context to a game would require every game to become like tetris, minus the catchy tune.

Even then, people would attempt to contextualize it.

Pic related. Its nothing but blocks, but people contextualize it as a snake growing the more it eats.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.