[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets have a different discussion. What could have saved Battleborn,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: social-share.jpg (203 KB, 1200x628) Image search: [Google]
social-share.jpg
203 KB, 1200x628
Lets have a different discussion. What could have saved Battleborn, /v/?

It's a fun game. I don't regret my purchase. There is a hint of a decent game in there somewhere.

But it could have done SO much better being delayed by about 6 months to fix fundamental things. Gearbox just clearly was not prepared to run a MOBA style team game.

>No report function in game
>PVP doesn't drop gear, only PVE does
>Not able to queue for individual story missions
>Lore challenges extremely grindy and anti-fun
>Lack of a proper tutorial
And that's just a few.

The art style is also just poor. Some decent character designs, but the art style looks like a free to play game. It looks cheap.

I like the game. I probably will never play it again, but a 6 month delay with some polishing would have done this game MANY favors. And it wouldn't have to compete with Overwatch. Which I also enjoy.

Your thoughts?
>>
I think Battleborn was a mistake
Why not make a IP that doesnt tap into a shitty genre ?
>>
I will never buy something that Anthony Burch has either worked on or recommended.
>>
File: Overwatch vs Battleborn.jpg (593 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch vs Battleborn.jpg
593 KB, 3264x2448
How badly did this game bomb?
>>
Nothing can save you from claptrap level writing.
>>
>>343267880
Very, very badly. Apparently it's more successful on console though.
>>
File: gearbox.png (43 KB, 1245x324) Image search: [Google]
gearbox.png
43 KB, 1245x324
>>343265190
>grindy and anti-fun

IT'S GEARBOX! YOU DON'T LIKE GRINDING FOR BADASS UPGRADES?
>>
i wished he would be in overwatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TeNEHTKsT8
>>
>>343265190
>The art style is also just poor.
This has always been one of my main gripes with it. It looks like it could be a Chinese knock-off of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

As much as some people don't want to say so, half the reason Overwatch 100% overshadows this title is that there's no waifus and memes attached to it.
>>
Delayed release or released way earlier
Lower price than overwatch and no micro transactions
They should have tried to compete with overwatch instead of just ignoring it
>>
They could have made it F2P.

Seriously, game would have been more of a success if they'd just made it free and released it with the stupid cash shop out of the gate.
>>
File: Cl2MDTDWMAAymGJ.png (171 KB, 385x352) Image search: [Google]
Cl2MDTDWMAAymGJ.png
171 KB, 385x352
Being a better game could've saved it
>>
>>343265190
the stupid ass rng gear shit should be removed, also, the unlocking of characters is also stupid as fuck, paying 60$ for access to 5? characters, jesus, even in League of Legends you can get more than.
>>
This thread is going to be FULL of shitters but here goes...

Put in about 100 hours on Battleborn and 45 on Overwatch atm. Have switched to playing OW exclusively.

Biggest Battleborn problems/things that could have saved it:

1) Zero hype leading up to it. Gearbox/2k tried to market it like Borderlands aka doing shit all marketing themselves but it didn't work. Competitive games need a lot of investment in the hype machine to attract a large playerbase nowadays.

2) A complete overhaul of the art style and UI. Getting eye fucked by a crayon factory isn't fun. You get used to tracking enemies in the chaos but the problem is you shouldn't have to adapt to it. UI was cluttered and ugly though I give them sympathy because they have like three times the amount of information that Overwatch needs to inform the player about.

3) F2P at launch would have had far more success. The game is literally just a first person MOBA with some FPS elements. MOBA shitters somehow don't realize that F2P games end up being many times more expensive in the end.

4) Implementing extremely basic must have features for any competitive game. Report feature/spectating mode/competent matchmaking. This is clearly Gearbox's first competitive game and it really shows.

5) No trying to nickle and dime their already pitifully small fanbase. They chose to not go the F2P route and yet still introduces cosmetic micro transactions within the first month. Showcases a wealth of ignorance
>>
>>343267880
I feel like they sold enough to not have 2k/gbx consider it a financial failure. BB was only in dev for like 2 years and had a pretty paltry marketing budget.

However it'll likely be a cut and run situation. Gearbox will do the absolute minimum to shit out promised season pass content and quickly abandons support for the game because there's no future profit in a game that's almost dead on PC after 2 months.
>>
>>343268824
Your experience is pretty similar to mine. I played about 60 hours of Battleborn, now have 20ish in Overwatch. Exclusively play Overwatch now.

Hell, I was invited to the launch party with Gearbox in Dallas. I talked with Randy without even knowing who he was. It was hella fun, and an open bar, but it still couldn't get me really, truly, hype for it. Was super fun though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.