[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the main appeal of persona? the deep story or the characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12
File: p5.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
p5.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
what is the main appeal of persona? the deep story or the characters?
>>
>>343231827
The characters. The story isn't really profound.
>>
waifus
>>
The music and gameplay
>>
You get to date cute anime girls
>>
File: Persona 5 girls.jpg (215 KB, 995x782) Image search: [Google]
Persona 5 girls.jpg
215 KB, 995x782
Persona girl pussy.
>>
>>343232032
This. It's the best blend of jrpg and dating sim around. It's fun to be able to pick your favorites and get character development with them specifically.
>>
My interest in Persona 5 is mostly because of the Soundtrack.
The fact that it has SMT-style Demon Negotiations certainly helps.
>>
It's the dating shit and piss easy gameplay that makes it accessible. The biggest appeal is basically just a relaxing high school anime simulator. I'm surprised more Japs haven't done the same shit with their games.
>>
>>343231827
The characters especially the girls are confirmed shit so I the game has more to offer.
>>
>>343231827
Usually the underlying theme for me.
>>
>>343231827
P1's appeal: Dungeon crawling
P2's appeal: Story
P3/P4/P5's appeal: Dating Sim
>>
>>343231827

I've wondered that very thing ever since I played them. Persona 1 and 2 I get, I liked those, but 3 and 4 were terrible. I liked the music in 4, and the girls make for great fap materal, but that's about it. VNs do the social thing much better and other games do the RPG and dungeon crawling bits much better, so the appeal is lost to me.
>>
>>343231827
Honestly, I just really like the mood and the setting. Running around town talking to weirdos and listening to engrish lyrics is just incredibly charming to me.
>>
>>343233942
Man if it wasn't for the story P3 would be so shit.
This series is pretty damn overrated, it's just no good game play wise because it's mindless easy as shit as soon you know the weaknesses
>>
While not challenging they're pretty comfy games.
>>
I only play these games for the music lol
>>
File: 1440194615626.png (382 KB, 537x718) Image search: [Google]
1440194615626.png
382 KB, 537x718
>>343234369

>P3 story is shit
>not P4
>>
>>343234369

The story didn't even interest me that much, but maybe that's because I played it immediately after Persona 2. Still, I could see potential in it. I think it could have been better if it wasn't so inflated. The story moved at a glacial pace and even then, most of the time it showed up at all you just beat a boss and not much happened, not until like, the last third of the game.

Persona 4 had a similar issue, though not quite as bad I think. I still think it would be better if there were two rescues a month and one or two months were cut out instead of filling huge gaps with social links and slice of life scenes.
>>
File: 1457295325500.jpg (118 KB, 452x495) Image search: [Google]
1457295325500.jpg
118 KB, 452x495
>>343234641
>cutting out two months of the good parts to condense the bad parts more
For what purpose?
>>
>>343235632

>Plot progression is bad

Guess Persona really isn't for me then.
>>
>>343231827
The music and general style.

I bought Persona 3 solely for the music tracks and the overall artstyle..
I don't know if artstyle is the right word, but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

That and I thought it'd be like Strange Journey.
I did absolutely no research on it before buying.
>>
>>343231827
its badass. good artstyle with a good sound, good characters that are likeable and unique in their own way and very polished turn based gameplay
>>
File: 1240426938688.png (170 KB, 792x615) Image search: [Google]
1240426938688.png
170 KB, 792x615
>>343231827
99% of their audience outside of Japan are weebs. Take a guess.
>>
>>343234617
>reading comprehension
>>
File: 1276579176331.jpg (76 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1276579176331.jpg
76 KB, 519x600
>deep story
>good characters

Persona is beneath the average harem anime in storytelling and character development and characterization. The gameplay sucks aswell.
>>
>>343231827
OK guys, I'm playing Persona 3 FES and fuck me if the story progression isnt slow as fuck, I'ts starting to move (going to fight the ''''''last''''''' shadow in4 days but still, godamn if this game wasnt made so that you could get attached to the characters and so it could last 6 months.

I cant figure out a good pace for this game, specially now that going to Tartarus is kind of pointless.

Its just so tiring doing the same things everyday, its really like living a regular schoolife and shit, coming from school, hanging out with friends etc, but every transition takes so long that I'm already at like 90 something hours.

Please tell me it will get better, I've been spoiled on some shit so I wont to believe it gets better but I think this is the last Persona game I'll play, specially if everything is so boring besides some pretty good bits with the characters.
>>
>>343231827
The characters, dating sim, visual aesthetic and design, and music
>>
>>343238830
The last month or less of the game is the best part of it all.

I find the best way to play P3 is to take your time, do a few days a day. As in, don't play for extended periods.
It's much more comfy when you spread it out.

I personally just did about a week ingame and a little in Tartarus everyday after coming home.
>>
waifu shit and good music
>>
Dating high score simulators
>>
>>343238830

>but I think this is the last Persona game I'll play

The first two are nothing like it Persona 3 and 4. They're basically different series. In those games you're always moving from dungeon to dungeon (not randomly generated dungeons either, but things like subways, corporate buildings, forest mazes, underground labyrinths, etc), fighting demons, talking to demons in battle to get them to give you cards so you can fuse more personas, watching the plot progress when you complete a dungeon, and moving on. Yeah, you start out with some highschoolers in the first two games, but there's no highschool sim elements. 15 minutes into the first game it's suddenly less about highschool and more about trying to work out what the hell's going on when reality literally breaks and the town is cut off from the outside world and flooded with demons, and in Persona 2 it's all about rumors becoming reality.

I'm really not sure why Persona 3 kept the Persona name, it's really not anywhere near the same type of game as its predecessors.
>>
File: UIdHY2m.gif (531 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
UIdHY2m.gif
531 KB, 500x280
>mfw never cared for waifus
>hate anime, the only show I ever managed to watch is Monogatari
>deep love for persona, smt, final fantasy and other jrpgs

what the fuck is wrong with me
>>
>>343240721
Shit taste
>>
>>343240721

The gameplay is what matters. I'm not an anime hater, and I went through an anime phase in my teens, but I just don't see it as anything special really. I'll watch some anime now and then, but I don't consume it religiously. Though I love games that are called "weeb shit" these days (though not modern Persona).
>>
>>343239404
I see, I started to play the game April 10th, so its been almost 3 months, it's really feeling like a journey and I get the point of them wanting to stretch things out so you can relate better to the MC.

>>343240542
I think
>In those games you're always moving from dungeon to dungeon (not randomly generated dungeons either, but things like subways, corporate buildings, forest mazes, underground labyrinths, etc), fighting demons, talking to demons in battle to get them to give you cards so you can fuse more personas, watching the plot progress when you complete a dungeon, and moving on.

Is the reason I'm not too keen on the way this game is played out, I much prefer games where you go on the world and have adventures, specially fantasy games where exploration of the world comes into play.

This thing of coming back to the dorm every day and not going anywhere while acentuating this ''daily routine''kind of feeling, make everything feel slower and like you are going nowhere (even if you notice that you start to meet more people and branch out on the activities)

Its an interesting experience but no my kind of thing.
I am mostly in this game for the Persona concept and the whole death theme, Pharos got me interested but it is taking a while to see where this all goes.
>>
File: confusedman.jpg (11 KB, 230x164) Image search: [Google]
confusedman.jpg
11 KB, 230x164
>>343240721
>never cared for waifus
>hate anime but love monogatari
>hate waifus
>monogatari
>>
>>343241169

Well like I said, there's the old Personas that fulfill the adventure theme, and then there's the SMT series. I haven't played but the first SMT thus far, but it's all about making your way through labyrinths, killing demons, talking to demons to get them on your side, fusion demons to make better demons, and killing more demons.

It's probably not the best entry in the series, but people tend to recommend Nocturne or SMT IV to start with.
>>
>>343241270
i like the presentation and music, the story is pretty good too
>>
It isn't the story because thats bad.
It isn't the characters becaude all of them are obnoxious and polarizing.
It isn't the gameplay because its basically just ez-mode SMT that requires 0 thinking.
Maybe its the music.

Shit series though. Vastly overrated. Its a friendship simulator for people who want awful friends. How anyone can stand these shit characters for longer than a few minutes is beyond me.
>>
I want Persona with Bloodborne game mechanics and storyline, also remove the dating sim mechanic and waifu element
>>
>>343241938

So, you want a 3D Action RPG SMT game?
>>
>>343242068
Something close to Raidou Kuzunoha series, so yes.
>>
>atmosphere
>music
>characters who may or may not be shallow, depending who you ask
>having pretend friends
>pretending to live in an animated Japan
>Anime: The Game

I wish I had persona when I was 15.
>>
To recapture the good old days. Who didn't fantasize about killing monsters, saving the world, and getting babes in highschool? That's what these are, high school simulators, and what do highschoolers do? Imagine a more exciting existence where they're hot shit.
>>
>>343242739
I was 15 when I played it anon, and I browsed this board too, good times.
>>
>>343242954
this

I played 3 FES for the first time a year after finishing highschool because i missed my youth.

now instead of "getting babes" i have a relationship and feel like a fucking slave.
>>
>>343243028
same here
>>
I love 3 and 4 but they are heavily flawed games. But thankfully P5 looks to have improved MASSIVELY. Actual dungeons, demons as enemies instead of boring blobs, an overworld that's more than two city blocks.

Safe to say they've perfected the formula and if the characters hold up their end of the deal we have a game of the generation on our hands.
>>
>>343243854

Persona 5 does look more like what I pictured Persona 3 and 4 to be. They left a really bad taste in my mouth so I'm not diving onto P5 as soon as it's out, but I suppose I'll keep an eye on it. Though if the plot moves at such a glacial place and the gameplay still isn't that great, I can't really see myself enjoying it.
>>
>>343243854
>>343244205
P3 and P4 are fantastic. Not every game has to appeal to every person.
>>
>>343244435
>cant take criticism about his ''flawless'' games
They have their problems, get over it.
>>
>>343244435
They are great, but come on.

>Procedurally generated dungeons that don't even attempt to be deep
>Very limited overworld that takes 5 minutes to explore and is supposed to hold up for an 80 hour game.
>No minigames that you can play to raise skills, you just get a text box that says you improved
>Awful enemy design
>If you don't like any of the characters, you won't like the game
>>
>>343244435

>Not every game has to appeal to every person.

Never said they did.
>>
>>343232153
this
>>
File: 1437205016508.gif (10 KB, 295x295) Image search: [Google]
1437205016508.gif
10 KB, 295x295
it's for weebs that couldn't get weeb friends in highschool

they are good games, but if you had at least a little bit of social life you can notice how most of the characters are boring stereotypical anime

devil survivor and mainline smt are way better if you want a more human cast, the gameplay is almost the same in all of them so it doesn't matter which onw you play, and well if you are a lonely weeb you should play them , i have seen how the persona games make people realize basic stuff about how to make freinds
>>
File: 1353029616482.jpg (25 KB, 243x352) Image search: [Google]
1353029616482.jpg
25 KB, 243x352
>>343231827
Use to be story, but now it is characters and their interactions. Gameplay was pretty garbage for the first three entries (Eternal Punishment wasn't *that* bad), but it has its ups and downs.
Not saying P3 or P4 is bad, but the dating sim aspect of it kind of makes serious moments or the atmosphere seem kind of bland (though P3, toward the end, had some really good atmosphere as it came together).

In the later entries there is *some* tactical thinking, but only in: handicapped runs, Hard/Risky runs, or FES' story. It's kind of a shitty, "Press-Turn," system. The fusion system was kind of a *huge* pain in the ass in P3 and Vanilla P4, but they fixed it in the remakes.
>>
File: 4563563465.jpg (33 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
4563563465.jpg
33 KB, 640x450
>/pol/ tierteacher dies and the shitiest cake in existence replaces him

Worst thing to happen in Persona
>>
>>343246296
>Still no hack to make Morooka a party member
for shame.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.