[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Fox Zero was a disaster yet Miyamoto went out of his way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Star_Fox_Team_Assault.jpg (128 KB, 1024x1013) Image search: [Google]
Star_Fox_Team_Assault.jpg
128 KB, 1024x1013
Star Fox Zero was a disaster yet Miyamoto went out of his way to make it more like 64. Does this mean Star Fox 64's formula actually can't survive in the current market and Nintendo was right to change the formula up after 64?
>>
Star Fox Zero is a few steps forward and one step back from 64 in a market where more steps needed to be taken.
>>
>>343216057
Yes
>>
Gentlemen how can Nintendo save Star Fox?
>>
>>343217859

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Rip of the Warhawk/Starhawk games. Huge multiplayer battles with player hopping in and out of vehicles. There's nothing inherently wrong with on foot segments. If Assault played as smooth as Ratchet and Clank, nobody would have minded.

Four player on rails adventure with players competing for the top score. This mode is online too. A crazy arcade experience that you can't die out of and miss out on game, but you certainly need to step it up to get out of last place.

Starfox also needs to go full Gundam at least for one title
>>
>>343218702
>arcade online
>Slippy Toad has disconnected, returning to lobby
fugg, online multiplayer like Warhawk would be good, Assault needed bots or online to make unlocking Zoness anything but a slog
>>
I'm hoping that if Star Fox Zero were to get ported to the NX it would add way more content and take into consideration the reception it had after release.
>>
The problem with Star Fox Zero has nothing to do with the game itself. It's a great joy to play if you enjoy rail shooters.

However, the problem is that rail shooters are inherently an arcade style genre, which is mostly gameplay focused. In an industry where shit like Bioshock and TLOU unironically become household names, you can see the problem with this.

I think Zero was put into production (And on a strict budget) to determine what needs to be done to make this style of game popular again. The controls, despite the shitposting, are actually very engaging and I would really like to see some real online play come from them.
>>
It means Star Fox was never good.
>>
File: 2917485-7472408189-14031.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
2917485-7472408189-14031.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>Game is incredibly dependent on the Gamepad
>NX ditches the fucking gimmick anyways
>>
>>343221550
I wonder how people would have reacted if they had released the Arcade mode of Star Fox Zero, as an actual game.

It would be funny if people would have begged for a console port.
>>
>>343216057
Zero would have been a solid 8 if the controls weren't utter garbage. I'm still holding out hope for a patch allowing for use of the pro controller so I can continue playing the game I paid good money for.
>>
File: shitpost.jpg (89 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
shitpost.jpg
89 KB, 1024x683
>>343221550
Arcades are all but dead. New game releases are at a crawl. If you live in an urban area the concept of a "barcade" with the fun games is still there (I found one last year in Iowa of all places with a Japanese F-Zero machine, fucking amazing).

I think on the rails has a future, I had a lot of time with the GUNCON and the Time Crisis games (up until CRTs went away and they no longer worked, the PS3 Time crisis was not the same), it can lend itself to the gameplay style but it's hard to sell a full priced game based on it.

I always thought it would be interesting if they kind of bundled a Star Fox game that embodied both elements, kind of like Sonic Generations. One path that was a traditional rails like SF64 (either entirely, or allowing all range on particular battles), and then a separate (or same) story with a greater freedom of movement and perhaps different vehicles.

Alas, it seems that this is not meant to be.
>>
Could the Splatoon team handle Star Fox well?
>>
>>343216057
All Nintendo had to do was make Zero more like KI: Uprising in terms of gameplay and aesthetics and online and it would have sold well. But instead they just rehash 64 for a third time with forced motion controls and too little content for full price. It was dead on arrival
>>
>>343225275
>People expected the game to pull a Hades/Medusa in the end because Miyamoto said the game would have a focus on story
>>
I think a Star Fox game could work quite well if the concept was actually updated to 2016 standards.

For one, at least an eight hour "normal" playthrough would be required, with tons of incentives for replayability, such as secrets, alternate paths, and secret alternative paths.

A replay system where you could post a high-score playthrough of a level, and watch others' replays (particularly those who score higher than you) could also help, allowing you to employ new tactics.

>>343218702
>There's nothing inherently wrong with on foot segments.
This is true. Only reason they were irritating in Assault was because you had to stop what you were doing to save Slippy's useless ass or to pick up the slack of your useless Air support.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.