[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever happened to live actors being used in video games? As
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14
File: phan2.jpg (70 KB, 599x429) Image search: [Google]
phan2.jpg
70 KB, 599x429
Whatever happened to live actors being used in video games? As soon as FMV started becoming the norm it seems like everybody went with CGI characters instead of actors.
>>
>>343208482
>what is L.A Noire
>what is TLoU
>what is every AAA game nowadays
>>
>>343208482
Yeah there needs to be a Seinfeld or the X files game using the actual actors
>>
>>343208482
actors cost money, and videos tend to look more out of place next to in-game footage.

Also, you clearly missed the huge trend of using IRL actors in vidya these days. Quantum Break is one of the latest extreme examples.
>>
>>343208663
I'm talking about actual video of real people being implemented in the game, not 3D renderings.
>>
>>343208863
>what is mokap
>>
File: stop-that.jpg (245 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
stop-that.jpg
245 KB, 1366x768
>>343208482
FMV can never ever look good unless you sink untold millions into it. I don't mean just videos, I mean actual "scanned" actors on screen. It will always look off in some way.

Phantasmagoria did have a great theme, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GWENu6GN1c
>>
>>343208663
just how underage are you?
>>
>>343209262
>disregard my argument by pretending my age has anything to do with my argument because you cannot come up with a better one
>>
>>343208482
the only game i've played with FMV sequences like that is Zork Grand Inquisitor and the sequences were both intentionally and unintentionally goofy as fuck, it wouldn't work today at all.
>>
File: wc3.png (331 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
wc3.png
331 KB, 640x352
>>343209104
FMV can work, it just can't be the focus of the game like it was in those FMV adventures. Wing Commander, for example, made excellent use of FMV because it actually had a good script and hired good actors to play it out. Its problems were problems of the time in that video compression was an alien concept and excellent green screen wasn't exactly there for video game budgets yet.
>>
File: toonstruck-21.png (62 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
toonstruck-21.png
62 KB, 640x400
>tfw no game will ever blend cartoon graphics and live action ever again
>>
>>343209104
Works with stuff like phantasmagoria cause it makes it more disturbing and off putting.
>>
>>343209413
Not him, but it does have plenty to do with it because it shows you have no idea what you are talking about and just looking to bait.
>>
Guitar Hero Live and NFS2015 had live action bits in them and everyone forgot about both games within a month

What was the last big game to have known actors in FMV bits? Red Alert 3?
>>
File: final boss.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
final boss.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
T A K E
>>
>>343212279
OOOOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEE
https://youtu.be/djV11Xbc914
>>
>>343208482
I could think of a couple of reasons.

Using live actors means either recording video footage for playback or green-screening a scene and moving the actor about the scene. Both would involve some rather large filesizes and would not res-up very well. Live actor videos would involve some incredibly limited scenes, which could only really be used in one instance. Live actors greenscreened and injected into a game scene will look off as >>343209104 mentioned, plus you now need incredibly high-res backgrounds to hide that.

These were not so much a concern in earlier computer games because the resolution was so small and pixelated, that a live action human actor didn't look too different from a decent art set or a converted photo. Now, with everything sharp and crisp, the difference is incredibly noticeable.

Also, I suspect the accessory expenses would begin to add up. Voicework in video games just relies on someone who can produce the required voice. You can cut and move the lines around as much as you'd like with computer software. Live action requires people who not just sound right but also LOOK right, and their timing needs to be right together since you are probably recording a scene rather than individual lines. Plus, it requires a costume department and appropriate sets, which further increases the cost.
>>
It became too faddish and died out?

Myst, Phantasmagoria, Tex Murphy, even fucking Jedi Knight had FMV showing off Kyle Katarn's fabulous beard, right?

...FMV was hot shit, and at the time pushing tech/software boundaries. along with the definition of 'Interactive Movie'

And It probably became increasingly expensive. A lot of those developers were using themselves as the FMV actor, so it was "free". When you start trying to hire Hollywood actors through Hollywood agencies the costs probably balloon quickly
>>
>>343208979
stop acting like a retard.
>>
>>343208663
>you must be 18 to post here
>>
File: phantasmagoria-pc-005.jpg (71 KB, 630x451) Image search: [Google]
phantasmagoria-pc-005.jpg
71 KB, 630x451
>>
File: phantas-18.png (119 KB, 631x448) Image search: [Google]
phantas-18.png
119 KB, 631x448
>>
>>343213257
Expense and limited variety for the footage, most likely. It's more expensive to hire an actor, create a set, and buy a wardrobe than it is to hire just a voice actor and CG everything. Plus, video footage of an actor is only good when they are doing exactly that one thing. If you want an actor to walk across a room in a slightly different way, then you either need to record that footage separately (large hourly rate) or play some shitty "walking" animation and slide their video sprite across the room.

You'll notice that a lot of the games which heavily used video footage tended to be quite limited. They were puzzle games or VN-like interactions, or some other method where the actors could play out their role without the player being capable of interrupting them.
>>
File: WARHAWK.jpg (56 KB, 653x455) Image search: [Google]
WARHAWK.jpg
56 KB, 653x455
>We call it, Red Mercury
>>
>>343208863

Tesla Effect
Contradiction - Spot the Liar
Both are on Steam
>>
Roundabout used FMV pretty well
>>
We had a brief FMV revival which promptly died again.

Her Story, Tesla Effect, Contradiction, Missing etc.
>>
File: 8452.jpg (98 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
8452.jpg
98 KB, 800x600
>>
That Tex Murphy game is on the steam sale. I might pick it up. I'm a sucker for trailers with silly quotes in them.
>>
>>343208863
>ok guy, you're gonna transform into a dragon and then...
Performance capture is so good, why the fuck should we use videos of real people?
>>
https://youtu.be/5wol9Gtk_V0?t=14m28s

K I N O
>>
Any good letsplays of FMV games? I watched Supergreatfriend's LP of Realms of the Haunting and really enjoyed it, but I haven't been able to find anything else that scratches the same itch.
>>
>>343215451
>good letsplays
no
>>
>>343215525
SGF also did a good LP of MODE. Like actually good. Maybe you just have shit taste?
>>
All RTS games should use real life actors
>>
>>343214702
>>343213719
>>343214209
>those tits
Never noticed how big they were before

>the death scene where her face gets ripped apart.
>>
File: Dune.jpg (15 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
15 KB, 400x267
>>343215751
This.
>>
>>343215673
>Maybe you just have shit taste
no u
>>
>>343215865
not just for the cutscenes
>>
File: 1464741346829.jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464741346829.jpg
17 KB, 320x240
>>343208482
Live actors and FMVs in videogames are anything but dead.

Guitar Hero uses spliced footage of a first person gig to match your playing ability and crowd reaction.

Need For Speed blends 3D graphics into the live action cutscenes so you have an actor speaking to you right in front of the very car that you own and customized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmiHzvAIdA&t=4m34s

FMVs in videogames is advancing with TECHNOLOGY, the complete opposite of dying.
>>
>>343215751

>yfw you join the Brotherhood of Nod just to watch Glorious Leader giving speeches
>>
>>343215849
>Never noticed how big they were before
How could you not? She is nude in the beginning.
>inb4 dad made you censor it or you are euro zone
>>
>>343208482
Almost universally they sucked donkey dongs. The FMV was used because the developers had no fucking idea how to actually fill a CD, not with the development tools they had.

For a good chunk of years even mentioning "FMV" would get the utterer beaten within an inch of their life due to how utterly shitastic FMV was. If a game had FMV is was auto-trash with only a FEW exceptions that proved the rule.

Once Final Fantasy VII was released and other developers saw that they could create their own content as they wanted without relying on braindead "actors" shitting everything up, FMV "actors" were tossed in the trash where they belonged.
>>
>>343216546
>being this underaged
nice bait tho
>>
>>343214929
>Not hiring actors who can transform into dragons

Standards at an all time low these days
>>
File: bar_convo.jpg (246 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
bar_convo.jpg
246 KB, 2048x1024
So this is the power of PC...
>>
>>343208482
I like horror adventure games with live actor FMVs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSCw3kp3_E
>>
File: 3do.png (293 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
3do.png
293 KB, 600x396
HEY PUKE SKYWALKER, USE THE FORCE!
>>
ive been wanting to make a shitty RPG game that uses this kind of thing. It would be a real world setting that has an online world you can teleport to, kinda like MMBN meets Persona/Mother game
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.