[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started Final Fantasy VI last night and I'm about 2 hours
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 21
File: Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg (34 KB, 478x264) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg
34 KB, 478x264
I started Final Fantasy VI last night and I'm about 2 hours in and pretty disappointed. Do you guys seriously believe that this game is not only the best FF, but the best jrpg ever made? I can respect it for it's time and all, but to say it's still better than what's come after is insane to me. Granted I'm still pretty early, but nothing has grabbed me and I don't get it. VII and X seem way better so far, and even Chrono Trigger stands out to me as a significantly better game than what I've experienced in VI at this point.

It's nostalgia, isn't it?
>>
>>343199490
nope you are wrong. also, celes is a premium waifu
>>
>>343199764
Why then? When does the game start to get good? I'm at the raft part escaping with the resistance leader
>>
Nope, you are wrong.
Keep playing.

Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ
>>
>>343199490
I can't get into VI either. I bought it due to a friend basically screaming into my ears for years about it being the best thing to happen on earth but nothing about it really does it for me. I'm probably closer to 6-7 hours in and I'm still bored.

I also agree the Chrono Trigger thing, and that's without nostalgia speaking since I only played it for the first time 5 years ago.
>>
>>343199986
I also played Chrono Trigger a few years ago for the first time and I still enjoyed it, despite it also being overrated overall
>>
>>343199946
you are at the worst part of the game, after the part where the 3 group split up game picks up. i also played it when i was 10 and it first came out on snes so im pretty biased towards this game
>>
File: PhantomTrainLocomotive.jpg (16 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
PhantomTrainLocomotive.jpg
16 KB, 240x240
>>343199946
what, you've barely begun the game. Although, you're about to enter my favorite part of the game.

It starts to get really good at Phantom Train. Gets amazing as it approaches the halfway point.
>>
>>343199490
2 hours for your first playthrough doesn't mean much. For all we know that means talking to all the tutorial NPCs and checking out every nook and cranny.

but for a speedrunner, they could be a 3rd of the way through the game by then.
>>
File: 1466949330657.gif (3 MB, 320x310) Image search: [Google]
1466949330657.gif
3 MB, 320x310
>>343200434
When you depart the train and cyan looks whos getting on.. What a good fucking game.
>>
>>343200352
>>343200434
I'm definitely relieved to hear that it only gets better. I'm not gonna drop it or anything but my first impressions were a lot worse than what I was expecting.

Do I need to buy more than 1 of the running boots? Seems really shitty for me to give them to someone like Locke, then lose the ability to move faster when he jumps out of the party. Wasting multiple slots on multiple characters seems like a bad idea too though

>>343200471
I'm on the raft with the resistance leader
>>
>>343199490

The game is pretty shit until you fight Kefka's goons for the first time in the mines of Narshe. A lot of is nostalgia, but it genuinely has some good music and interesting stories.
Also, I hope you didn't buy it for PC.
>>
>>343200648
I'm playing it on SNES, I'm a collectorfag and try to always play things in their original state. I'm sitting in front of a tiny CRT and everything
>>
>>343199948

>those shitty vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5XqJGS0Yo

Get some taste pleb
>>
>>343199490
>I played witcher 3 for 5 min. It's shit combat and clunky gameplay. I am pretty disappointed. Do you guys seriously believe that this game is GOTY. Granted I'm still pretty early, but nothing has grabbed me and I don't get it.
>>
>>343200930
Pretty big difference between 5 minutes and 2 hours, but ok. And yeah, the beginning of a game matters
>>
>>343200930
This is valid though because the combat literally never changes.
>>
>>343200618
For what it's worth the GBA version lets you freely run without an item
>>
>>343201085
That's worth nothing to me because I'm playing on the SNES, and it feels like an oversight
>>
>>343199490
the replies in this thread should answer for themselves

>nuh hu you're wrong
>later it gets better
>waiting for a game to become good is a good thing
>no arguments watsoever

it's a mediocre FF, has its ups and downs. Defending it to the core is a sign of brain dead fanboyism and circlejerking.
>>
>>343199490
You've played 2 fucking hours, so don't tell me I only like the game because of nostalgia you simpleton
>>
>>343199490

I'm not sure if it would really matter whether or not it was actually the best because your perspective has already been tainted by others' hype.
>>
>>343201342
pretty much

I loved FFVI as a kid, but going back to it was awful. The previous FFs have better battle systems and the later FFs have better story. FFVI does nothing that stands out.
>>
>>343201003
no one praises witcher 3 for combat.
>>
>>343201342
That has always been the impression I got of Vifans, but also most FFans honestly. In their defense you can't make a lot of arguments for it when I haven't experienced the entire game

>>343201452
I didn't imply you like it because of nostalgia, I implied that you would believe it to be the best FF and jrpg because of nostalgia. Big difference

>>343201490
I'm sure I have honestly
>>
>there are people disrespecting FFVI on my /v/

Summer cancer is here
>>
>>343201796
I think this has been a pretty respectful thread, relatively speaking at least
>>
>>343201796
FFVI a shit
FFV a best
>>
>>343202325
>FFV a best

This.
>>
it could be that OP is a teenager and finds it hard to appreciate older games

how have you younger anons fare? having grown up only knowing cawadooty and 3d action rpgs

i would imagine you find it hard to stomach older games that are archaic by your standards
>>
>>343201342
But...it does get better later? Or do 100+ hour games always have to peak in the first 10 hours. I don't think the beginning's bad at all, the game goes from good to great.

It's been a decade since I played it, but I feel pretty safe in saying it's a great game after 3 full playthroughs.

I wouldn't talk about people being braindead. Glass houses, etc.
>>
>>343202910
I'm 20 and I already said that I liked Chrono Trigger when I played it for the first time a few years ago. If underage memes help you sleep at night go ahead anon
>>
>>343200770
>Traditional orchestration
Have a top tier arrangement of all the game's themes.

https://youtu.be/nOJi5QSxJbw
>>
Just beat the Octopus boss and getting to chose which character to follow is pretty cool
>>
>>343203124
just asking cause i played it in its heyday and it was a magical ride back then. We had no clue that there was a V, we only had 4/2 which was enjoyable but a basic rpg as far as gameplay was concerned

But VI blew the doors of its fucking hinges with its scope. only chrono trigger came close.
>>
>>343204084
I can definitley appreciate what it did for it's time, I'm just surprised that people would still say it's the best today based on what I've played thus far. I have no doubt it would have been mind blowing in 94. I'm getting more into it now though
>>
Those who didn't play these critically acclaimed games when they were release can never truly appreciate what they did and have done when they play them today.
>>
>>343199490
If you really liked VII and X there's nothing in here for you. VI is classic high fantasy with a fast-moving plot and engaging set-pieces. You're looking for a plodding emo-fest.

You will not find it in VI, because VI was made before Square went full-queer.
>>
>>343204557
Most people didn't play FFV when it was released and it's still considered a great game.
>>
>>343204557
I disagree, I think it is absolutely possible to appreciate what they did and their legacy. In fact I would argue it''s easier from this perspective. To go back is to look at it more objectively and fairly

>>343204745
They play better than VI so far, but if you want to shitpost that badly go right ahead
>>
>>343199490
>I'm 2 hours in
>I have opinions
Fuck off OP play the fucking game and come back after that.
>>
>>343205040
>Noting first impressions is bad
Alright
>>
>>343202910
I'm playing it for the first time at 22 and I think it's great. The only thing that feels shitty and dated are the constant random battles.
>>
>>343199490

>started Final Fantasy VI last night and I'm about 2 hours in and pretty disappointed

Probably because you actually payed attention to the hype for some stupid reason. You should know that you NEVER believe the hype of anything.

>Do you guys seriously believe that this game is not only the best FF
One of them, yeah.

>but the best jrpg ever made?
Nah

>It's nostalgia, isn't it?

Not really. I didn't play much as a kid. I only really played it as a teenager, and though I didn't dislike it, I wasn't too thrilled at the time. It's not until I played it again like 10 years later that I really got into it.
>>
>>343205312
When it gets paraded around as the pinnacle of the genre it's hard to not let that sway your expectations
>>
>not realizing that Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy XV are the best FF games
>>
>>343199948
what is this garbage
>>
i wish somebody would come along and shake up the JRPG they've grown so stale

I would honestly throw elements of other genres into the mix. A concert scene where you have to partake in rhythm game like battles. A war breaks out and suddenly you're thrown into a fire emblem like combat. hell throw a little tetris or puzzle bobble into the mix. an online component sililar to bloodstains in DS.

space them out evenly and try not to be heavy handed with it. try not to forget that at its core its a turn based and sometimes action rpg
>>
>>343199490
Partly. The other part is context.

The game is a product of it's era. It was literally a masterpiece within it's own release window.

Without it, neophytes will struggle to understand it all.
>>
>>343205481

Not for me. I learned my lesson about hype a decade ago. By default, I believe that things that are extremely hyped will be, at most, okay. Or shit. Due to this, I'm rarely disappointed, and when something is actually really good, it's an even better experience for me since I didn't expect it.
>>
File: reallysuspiciousdong.jpg (24 KB, 432x377) Image search: [Google]
reallysuspiciousdong.jpg
24 KB, 432x377
>>343199490

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I played IV right before VI and was immediately hooked on IV. But I can't find myself giving two shits about VI. And I'm only a bit passed you the group finally reunited for me and we're fighting Kefka.
>>
>>343201609
>no one praises witcher 3 for combat

VIDEOGAME GOTY
>>
>>343205961

Tone down your expectations. Realize that it can't be as good as people say. Just try to enjoy it for what it is, a fun mid 90s JRPG. Fun, not phenomenal.
>>
>>343206073

The problem is IV and VII lived up to the hype. And I hear people compare VI and VII as to which is the better FF and so far VII blows VI out of the fucking water like a bad joke.
>>
>>343199490
The game has a lot of good design decisions, although they probably won't be noticeable only two hours in. I mean, are you even past South Figaro?

But I certainly wouldn't put it as one of the best JRPGs ever. Final Fantasy actually did pretty good with their PS2 games, although I am not at all impressed with the PS1 titles, and so wouldn't call it the best Final Fantasy game either. It's certainly not bad, though, especially for an old-school style JRPG.

A big chuck of that was due to the time, though. Very, very few RPGs had a focused leveling curve to ensure that characters were at-level going into areas, so that was an incredibly new concept.
>>
>>343205538
>Final Fantasy XV
>a game with shitty combat that isn't out yet
anon I really hope you aren't getting your hopes up for this
>>
>>343199490
if you've played Chrono Trigger there's no point in playing FFVI, CT is just better in every way.
>>
>>343204753
FFV is literally the father for FFT series and Bravely Default series, the job system makes great contribution and still fun(FFIII is too basic and outdated)
>>
I've had a copy of FF6 for longer than most people on this board have been alive and I've still never played through it
>>
>>343199490

Take into account it came before even Chrono, which was a giant leap in the genre, this was the last 2d mainline FF to come out, 7 came out like 4 or so years later than this game, so this (6) was pretty much the epitome and congregation of all the things that made the genre good back then, maybe it lacked a bit in the "exploration" department up until the last third of the game, but the visuals, music, story and gameplay, specially the little differences between characters, namely the gimmicky commands like Sabin's or the Bushido were refreshing back then, it also has a great final battle and a cool twist on the story too.

Of course, the JRPGs got better since then, so being a bit dissapointed might be a good thing since it means the genre has really grown, or at least it did in the PS1-2 era.

For it's time, it was a masterpiece, and it still is if you see the "good things it brought to the genre" rather than the "it's the best one ever".
>>
>>343206264
I just got to the party split, which I'm actually really into. I'm doing the brawler brother first. I just got control of Cyan
>>
>>343206405
>shitty combat
dont get me wrong i liked the turn based combat in ff7 but if theres a game that looks nice and the combat style isnt turn based ill take the realtime combat anyday
>>
>>343206245
Funny, FFVI will always be my GOAT, beat it 3 times, but I started playing FFVII a few years back and dropped it about halfway through.

The combat style hasn't aged so well for me.

A great thing about FFVI is the relic to skip random encounters.
>>
i got all the final fantasy games on psp (1-9)

which should i play? i started with ff7 and now im at the top of shinra building. any tips on how i can level up my party and get more gil?
>>
>>343201158
In their defense, dashing wasn't yet a concept in jrpgs back then.
>>
>>343206685
I like real time myself as well, but have you played the platinum demo? Because I think the combat would've been done better by another company insert platinum pun here

for real though it's not a huge deal but I feel like this game will either surpass it's shitty combat and be considered one of the best games ever, or fail and be derided and hated for years.
>>
>>343206954
As a big KHfag and Talesfag, I thought the XV demos were bad. I genuinely believe XV will be a bad game come September if nothing significant changes
>>
File: 1.jpg (40 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
40 KB, 500x281
>>343199490
>I'm only 2 hours in but here's my opinion anyway

Couldn't you shut up for a minimum of 5 hours before you report back to /v/?

>/v/ said [ ] about game
>time to prove them wrong/right hehe
>>
>>343207115
You sound pretty upset that I didn't like the opening of VI. VI isn't even /v/'s favorite FF so I don't see what you're getting at shitpost-kun
>>
>>343206460
love CT but i hate that a STORY driven game has a silent protagonist. it always drove me nuts
>>
>>343201342
That's how every FF thread works. Everyone has a diffrent farovortie FF games and noone ever gives reasons why
>>
>>343207092
what about the ff7 remake? the combat in the trailer looked a little like kh2's combat system, do you think thatll be fine?
>>
>>343199490
>>343199946
>plays less than an hour of a game
>makes a thread on /v/ to bitch

This board's cancer will never be cured.
>>
>>343207092

I'm just interested to see how it turns out. I've been seeing big all sorts of FF XV hype on /v/ for months. Suddenly everyone's saying it'll be shit after E3.
>>
>>343207560
I can't say because I haven't played it. I was under the impression it was borrowing a lot from XV though so that worries me
>>
>>343206528
>a copy of FF6 for longer than most people on this board have been alive
>FF6
So you're saying that most of the board is under 17 years old?
>>
>>343207092
i played the platinum demo on my xbone and it the controls felt a little delayed
>>
>>343207336

>VI isn't even /v/'s favorite FF

It was years ago before it became too popular. It's V right now though.
>>
>>343200352
>you are at the worst part of the game
Wrong, that's the world of ruin, completely dropped the ball and it's like 1/3rd of the game.

The extra dungeon added in later versions is also one of the worst, most tedious, lazy jrpg dungeons I've ever seen, doesn't help that it's the longest.
>>
>>343206674
Yeah, Cyan is cool. He has a fairly interesting story. Locke's route is good as well, for doing something different, although the Terra/Baron route was kind of disappointing.
>>
>>343207610
Show me where I was bitching, the closest is when I said the lack of running felt like an oversight

>>343207772
I was under the impression IXfags took over /v/
>>
>>343207610
>cancer for getting bored with a supposedly GOTYAY game for 2 whole hours
No john, you are the fanboys.
>>
File: moot summer.jpg (105 KB, 960x886) Image search: [Google]
moot summer.jpg
105 KB, 960x886
>>343201796
>waaah my circlejerk
>>
>>343207895
I was split between those two, Terra's was definitive the least interesting to me. Enjoying the Cyan stuff right now though

Fuck now I can't put away 4chan and just play because this thread got to active, and just when I started to get into it too
>>
>>343207931
Same could be said about any FF
VII isn't the second coming of jesus that people want it to be either
>>
>>343204557
Bullshit, I only played Chrono Trigger for the first time like 3 years ago and instantly became one of my favourite games ever.
>>
>>343207917

Yeah they're here too, but I've been seeing "FF V is the best FF", "FF V is the only good FF" much more frequently lately.
>>
>>343208095
The hell does that have to do with the fact that VI is overrated garbage?
>>
>>343208095
No one is talking about 7 faggot
>>
>>343207739
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sBZ5Nr4hc

skip to around 1:17 and see the battle UI
>>
>>343207092
I think I read on GB that nothing really has changed either, as of E3. I'm just glad I realized that before I blew 60 bucks on it so I can hold out for reviews.
>>
>>343208235
>>343208284
Whatever you say kids
I'm saying that you could exhange VI wit any FF and it wouldn't change the thread. Your favorite FF is also overrated garbage
>>
>>343207749
Yes
>>
File: 897987097987.jpg (93 KB, 450x249) Image search: [Google]
897987097987.jpg
93 KB, 450x249
>>343207336
>VI isn't even /v/'s favorite FF

not him, but which FF is /v/'s favorite, then?
pic related?
>>
>>343208534
>>343208182
>>
Even the best FF is a 7.5 at best
>>
>>343207749
>So you're saying that most of the board is under 17 years old?
As bold a claim as that is, yes
though they could be older, I'm talking about FF3 on my SNES, not the PSX version
>>
File: 1303713248490.jpg (222 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1303713248490.jpg
222 KB, 850x850
>>343199764
>Celes.
>Not the god tier Tina.
>>
>>343199490
Yeah, its shit. I dropped it when I was 10 hours in, it's tedious and Boring, to be honest even Earthbound is way better (even though I didn't like it Either).

Chrono Trigger, unlike FFVI, is a true masterpiece.
>>
>>343208534
nah, that'd require /v/ to have taste
>>
>>343199490
7 is just a 3d version of 6 with a focus on fewer characters.

x is not the ff game that 6 and 7 were.

chrono trigger has lots of polish...but it's nowhere near the game that ff6 is. god damn just turn the game off it's not for you, and you couldn't appreciate it even if your brain was clear.
>>
>>343199490
Nah, you're spot on OP. The game bored me to fucking tears, I stopped playing not long after I started, its pretty trash and uninspiring.
>>
>YOUR FAVORITE FF IS SHIT
Why even make FF threads anymore?
>>
>>343208920
>These are the arguments or VIfags
>>
>>343208920

I forget how cancerous FF fanboys are sometimes.

You literally just said NOTHING IS AS GOOD AS VI BECAUSE I SAID SO YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO ENJOY IT

BLANK is not the game that BLANK is is not a valid fucking criticism. It's stating the fucking obvious.

HURR TETRIS IS NOT THE GAME THAT GRAND THEFT AUTO IS
>>
>>343208920
VIII>VII>IX>>>>>>>>>VI
>>
>>343208337
We don't know if it's final or not, nor how it feels. XV looks fluid and good, but when I got my hands on it I thought it was clunky and unintuitive. Maybe PSX or TGS will have more info but for now I'm skeptical.
>>
>>343207336
You played so little of the game but you shared your opinion anyway like it had some weight. I'd jump on you for doing this with any game.
>>
>>343209005

Yeah, DQ threads are much more relaxed. I rarely see people bitch over what the best game in the series is. Most fans like most of the games anyway.
>>
>>343208534
IX
>>
>>343209303
I shared my opnion on the opening, which I've been very transparent about. The entire time I've been saying things like "I'm not very far but so far I feel like ---- ". I think that's pretty reasonable when talking about the first impressions from a game
>>
>>343209303

A coupe hours of a game isn't long enough to judge it?

If your game can't hook someone after HOURS then your game is shit.
>>
File: 1405109985016.jpg (46 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
1405109985016.jpg
46 KB, 300x301
>>343199490
>VII and X
>>
>>343199490
>X is ok

opinion discarded
>>
>>343199490
I usually play the classics using my phone (emulators). Somehow worked for me. Heck I enjoyed FF2 while playing it from my phone.
>>
How far in am I if i just got the ability to control the airship manually?
>>
File: 1455411908416.png (535 KB, 561x729) Image search: [Google]
1455411908416.png
535 KB, 561x729
>/v/ is so contrarian, they say Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are shit
>>
File: 1466796164572.png (86 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
1466796164572.png
86 KB, 424x318
>>343199490
>X and VII better than VI
well at least VII is a good game but X better than VI you must really have a bad taste in video games dude
>>
File: 1465974922949.png (82 KB, 251x263) Image search: [Google]
1465974922949.png
82 KB, 251x263
>>343210481
Not a single person in this thread has said Chrono Trigger is shit
>>
>>343210315
First airship? Probably 1/4th or 1/3rd of the way through the game. It's been awhile, so I don't exactly recall when you get full access to the airship.
>>
>>343210553
Maybe he likes gameplay in his video games, because X is well established as having the best gameplay in the series
>>
A good way to see whether a game is good is make a thread about it on /v/ and gauge reactions. See any negative comments? Skip that shit.
>>
>>343210940
so skip every game ever made?

not a bad idea
>>
>>343201342
It gets better a lot faster than FF13 does. The beginning of FF6 is showing off all their cool new tech anyhow (text boxes during complex animations, the cast reacting mid-battle to Terra using magic, Castle Figaro going underground, Narshe's sense of depth using foreground and sideweays entrances, etc., etc.). It's a lot of stuff we take for granted nowadays
>>
>>343201342
I mean, let's be honest. When has an FF ever started off guns blazing?
>>
>>343211186
>>
>>343199490
Played all three games you mention in the year of release and several years after. Except for FFX, it's really bad and I gave up halfway . I have to agree with you, VI is not THAT good. FFVII and Chrono are the top two RPGs of all time for sure. Chrono Trigger is the best.
>>
not as bad as the most overrated fucking Fantasy Fantasy game ever god damn made: Final Fantasy Tactics. after everyone recommended it, finally bought that shit.

>"YE OLDE SER WE MUSTN'T BEQUEEF THY HEIRLOOM TO THINE, MAYN'T THEE?

hours of that god damn bullshit when all I wanted was dual machine pistols doom style fucking chocobo sluts with explosiosn everywhere
>>
>>343210553
X has a fun battle system and post-game. VI has neither.
>>
File: 1459476280341.jpg (689 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1459476280341.jpg
689 KB, 1024x1024
>>343199490

Final Fantasy is perhaps THE greatest franchise in gaming. And Square/Enix is the greatest company of all time.

They are the big boys. The big echelon up their with Working Designs, Rockstar, CDProjektred, and Naughty Dog.Show some fucking respect, you little impudent shit.
>>
>>343210481
CT isn't shit but VI sure as fuck is. It's so much worse than IV and V despite having all the time in the world to learn from them.
>>
>>343212065
Forgot Valve. Of course there's others too.
>>
>>343212065
I like FF but you're ordering someone to respect a fucking corporation
>>
>>343211232
Not really...? It takes a good three-to-four hours for you to reach the Shin-Ra building and for the story to begin proper. Before that, you basically have a series of mini-dungeons and fetch quests that don't amount to much.
>>
one thing about FFVI that i love was how expressive the sprites were. it gave them depth

not even todays JRPGS can properly show expressions
>>
>>343212065

sqauresoft would like to have a word with you
>>
File: 1437699228771.png (444 KB, 465x455) Image search: [Google]
1437699228771.png
444 KB, 465x455
>2 hours into the game

I agree the game is overrated but 2 hours? that's fucking nothing mate
>>
>>343212751
>You can't truly judge a game unless you've beaten it at least twice.

Not OP, but seriously fuck you dude.
>>
>>343208920
Here's a question:

If I play JRPGs for gameplay, why in the fuck should I appreciate a game that is one of the biggest examples of "who cares about gameplay huehuehue we're focusing on story" when its story wasn't interesting enough to carry the game while its gameplay was total shit because it was thrown to the wayside?
>>
>>343210553
FFVI is my favorite game in the series, but it really isn't as good as FFX.
>>
>>343212823
>here's muh strawman fuk u dude reeee

go to bed Tim
>>
File: kojima.jpg (33 KB, 238x357) Image search: [Google]
kojima.jpg
33 KB, 238x357
>>343199490
>2 hours in
>jrpg
Hey OP, you're a huge scrub!
>>
Then:
>VII is totally overrated, you guise. VI is the real apex of the series.
Now:
>VI is totally overrated, you guise. V is the real apex of the series.

I'm sensing a real pattern here.
>>
>>343212718
No no no no that's what I meant when I said Square/Enix. The slash was referring to Squaresoft and Enix.
>>
>>343212823
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
>>
>>343212879
FF6 is pretty good gameplay-wise, though. It's got a decent battle system, a large party to experiment with, the Esper mechanics are a fairly novel way to learn magic and gain stats, a lot of the dungeons are cool and plot setpieces are really good, etc. Granted, it's not the most polished thing in the series, but the overall package is solid.
>>
File: 1467045867030.png (621 KB, 1010x778) Image search: [Google]
1467045867030.png
621 KB, 1010x778
>>343202325
I hate the job shit, i prefer ffvi or ffix abilities
>>
>>343199490
>2 hours in
>first play through
>def not even made it through scenarios
>terrible game
Nigga you gotta get to the good shit, you don't even know the real plot yet
>>
>>343206245
But IV and VII aren't as good as VI by really any gauge.
>>
>>343213195
>FF6 is pretty good gameplay-wise
Fuck no it's not, it's one of the worst games in the series when it comes to gameplay. It's nearly FFVIII-tier broken without any of the interesting things VIII did.
>>
>>343206460
Worse story, worse cast, much more limited and basic battle system. They are both amazing games, but VI is just outright better.
>>
>>343199490
Ff6 is good but tons of hype. Sabin never works properly and all your good party members are taken away to force you to level up members you'd never use
>>
>>343213562
What is it like in Bizarroland?
>>
File: 1442787987044.jpg (126 KB, 590x417) Image search: [Google]
1442787987044.jpg
126 KB, 590x417
>but but but this one is better
>but but but that one is better

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every Final Fantasy is top-tier perfection minus 10 and 13. Though, 13 did daring things by making an rpg while cutting the fat, so that oughtta be commended for originality. But really, that being said, THAT'S the point. Every Final Fantasy is incredible because they're so different and so groundbreaking and innovative with each one PUSHING their respective consoles to the limit graphically and creatively. When you want "next gen" you go to Final Fantasy. Thank you, Squeenix, we love you!! <33
>>
>>343213562
>without any of the interesting things VIII did
Yeah, because clearly drawing magic and playing Triple Triad were such interesting gameplay features. Hell, some of the most breakable games in the series are the most fun: FF5, FF6, FFT, etc.
>>
>>343213562
> ff8
> interesting

Pick one. I bet you enjoyed castlevania 2 and Zelda 2
>>
>>343213942
>>343213938
>not liking quintis

Fuck off
>>
>>343213482
Really?

>IV
>infinitely better game balance
>random encounters are not just speedbumps that can be Edgared/Sabined to death instantly and continually get more dangerous
>boss battles constantly need you to pay attention, things like beating the Four Fiends with only FuSoYa left standing with his last spell will simply not happen in VI because its tuning is shit
>doesn't give you an instant out from needing to manage MP and items like VI's retarded shit like Osmose and several times more powerful Cure spells do
>IV's hard character roles mean that its constant party rotation keeps the game fresh while VI's doesn't, no thanks to its anyone-can-do-anything-but-some-are-just-better approach with Espers and stat boosts
>>
>>343213028

Not memeing here but I legitimately think IV is best
>>
>>343213237
Where in the OP does it say terrible game
>>
File: 1461319851626.png (3 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1461319851626.png
3 MB, 1920x1200
>>343213881
10 is the best one so you're perpetuating the meme, congrats
>>
>>343214081
FF4 is only balanced because player agency is restricted to hell and back. You have no control over who's in your party and what skills they learn at any point in the game. Everything is set in stone, which hinders the gameplay and greatly reduces the game's replay value.
>>
What is the best version (IE looks and best gameplay if that is even changed, and optimization) for IV and VI? Are steam versions the best ones?
>>
>>343214625
Yes, that's why V is a better game than IV, because it took what worked from IV and put it in a game that was more open and had a better sense of progression.
>>
How does one break FFVI? Besides Vanish/Doom and the like

>>343214928
Patched GBA version is best since it has the most content and doesn't sacrifice the fidelity of its art style, you'll need to apply several individual patches though, each of which fixes a different issue
>censorship
>washed-out colors/hues
>the paintbrush bug
etc.

You can find them on /v/ recommended games wiki under GBA page.
>>
>>343199490
It's probably been said already but the people that think so highly of it (including me) include every bit of historical importance in their evaluation
>>
>>343214928
GBA remasters are best, afaik. Steam versions are straight up ugly ass ports of the Android remake.

Pretty sure there's also a balance patch out for the SNES rom if you want to use that, fixes a bunch of the glitches and brings back the Czar Dragon.
>>
>>343215170
FF5, FF6, FF7, and FF9 are all better games than 4.
>>
>>343199490
I managed to make it until the AMAZING BRAH!!! opera scene. I was bored to tears the entire time, to this day I still don't see the hype. There are better FF games, before it and after it. There are better SNES jrps, like chrono trigger and terranigma. This game was simply boring.
>>
>>343215228
>>343215416
Interesting I'll check it out thanks.
>>
>>343215228
WoB: Use Edgar.
Hunt down Hazer(Bolt 2), Templar(Fire 2), Marshal(Wind Slash), and Stray Cat(4x damage) rages when you're on the Veldt for the first time.
Put Magic Power boosting Espers on Sabin or Gau and equip them with two Earrings for 50% more magic damage.
Exploit the Psycho Cyan glitch.
WoR:
Hunt down the Nightshade rage because it can permanently charm anything in the game including bosses.
Get the Merit Award and Offering, put them on Gau or Gogo, equip Fixed Dice for single target damage or Tempest for AoE, either are ridiculously broken.
Get Ultima with or without the Gem Box/Economizer.
Use magic boosted Sabin for Bum Rush, which might as well be a free Ultima that's single target.
Get to decent levels and abuse Offering+Fixed Dice or Genji Glove+Offering+Atma Weapon+other good weapon.
>>
>>343214081
IV is like XIII. It is a series of linear paths with no character or player freedom. That is why it feels harder. Spending a minute or two grinding with each new party destroys the balance you claim it has.
>>
>>343215638
No. Having more customization doesn't matter when you bungle the fundamentals.
>>
>>343215638
This 1000x
>>
>>343215960
Why would you grind in a game that doesn't need it? Even then that's still exponentially more effort than it takes to break VI.
>>
>>343208534
V and/or IX
>>
>>343216010
Good thing those games had better fundamentals than IV.
>>
>>343216202
No, they really don't.
>>
>>343215813
Dang son, I knew about Sabin's stuff but the rest (especially charming bosses) seems stronk. Will have to try some of this on my next playthrough.
>>
>>343216117
Not really. Breaking VI requires knowledge of the mechanics AND grinding. With IV, you just bop enemies until they no longer bother you. You just have to do it more often because it keeps erasing your progress by killing and removing characters.
>>
>>343216251
Nice argument.

Yes, they really do.
>>
File: FFV.jpg (147 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
FFV.jpg
147 KB, 1024x614
>>343214928
>Are steam versions the best ones?
Does this look good to you?
>>
>>343216592
This can't be real
>>
>>343216408
>Breaking VI requires knowledge of the mechanics AND grinding.
Only if we're talking Gau and he can be broken for the entire game with rages you can acquire at the start of the game. You don't need to know anything to break VI with Edgar or Sabin, especially not when the early game of VI makes it extremely clear just how strong both of them are.
>>
>>343216631
Don't go looking at the FF6 pictures.
>>
>>343201342
>just say the game is shit
>expect in depth answers to said argument
OP gave literally zero reasons WHY he thought Final Fantasy VI wasn't as good as everyone says it is, so why the fuck should anyone tell him why the game actually is good?
Oh wait, this is /v/.
>>
>>343216592
Holy shit, that is godawful. Thank god that I didn't just splurge on the steam sale.
>>
File: FFVI.jpg (180 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
FFVI.jpg
180 KB, 600x300
>>343216712
No they need to see the truth. Look at it.
>>
>>343216713
He said it didn't grab him and that it was uninteresting, did you read the thread? He wasn't making the argument that it was even bad, just that he didn't understand why it has its reputation considering other games in the genre are better
>>
>>343216908
vomit
>>
>>343216010
Yeah it does. It allows the player to play the game in their own style and have more fun doing so.
>>
FF6, Chrono Triigger, and LoZ:ALttP where my golden trio when I was a boy. I played them constantly. Hard to tell if I was introduced to FF6 today if I would still find it good. Man the snes was fucking amazing though.
>>
>>343216941
If you go into anything with the attitude of "oh, you're the best [thing] of all time? Psh, yea, ok entertain me" nothing will live up to your expectations.
>>
>>343216502
No, they fucking don't.

>V is the only one with a real resource management element and it can be sidestepped with Transfusion. Still the closest to IV out of all of those games but the existence of stupid classes like Chemist and Blue Mage that break everything with some effort makes it worse
>VI and VII are retard easy to the point where you barely have to care about boss mechanics unless they're superbosses or Magimaster and you never have to care about random encounters
>IX is slightly better than that for most of the game but implodes late because it's far too easy to hit 9999. Trance is also a shit tier mechanic and the segment of the game where Garnet fails to cast spells is far worse than anything IV ever did
>>
>>343217034
I don't give a fuck. Fix your balance and difficulty first. I have far more fun playing limited games that care about them than I do unlimited games that shit the bed every time they come up.
>>
>>343217241

I played FFVII five years ago. It held up. Played IV last year. It held up. Played Mother 3 last year. Also held up.
>>
>>343217241
>game keeps being hailed as the best thing ever
>"you can't go in with expectations!"
Go fuck yourself, movies like the godfather and books like Quixote have a reputation for a reason and when you get into them you expect something.
>>
You were doing fine until you implied CT isn't overrated beyond hell and back.
>>
>>343214928
PS1 or DS depending on whether you want the original game or a more robust remake.
SNES, every single port that game has had is a disaster in one way or another.
>>
>>343217241
If it is actaully that good yes it will. I played Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night for the first time last year and both of them are now in my top 10 favorite games of all time. Fuck off
>>
>>343218961
I literally said it's overrated >>343200141
>>
>>343219235
Oh okay. Good on you m8.

Yea, it's a great game with one of the best OST's but def overrated.
>>
>>343219480
But I'd also like to add that a couple hours into a JRPG is nothing at all. You can't judge it so early. Even 5 hours isn't enough time.
>>
>>343214928
>>343219016
FF4: PSP or DS, depending on if you want a faithful version with extras or something different but extra challenging. The PSP version is faithful with the bonus dungeons added in the GBA version, while also giving you Interlude and After Years... but some people don't like the graphics change. DS has a different system in place, fights are more challenging, and it uses NG+ and secret bosses instead. Oh, and the DS version has party chat (sorta).

Steam version of FF4 is terrible. It's basically a port of the iOS port of the DS game... except that it's incredibly blown up to make the tiny models looking terrible, uses the ugly iOS buttons for menus but doesn't give you mouse controls, and the keys are binded together (like when on the DS). At least you can change what keys do what, although you can't unbind the key functions which are tied together. On the other hand, if you can ignore all that, After Years is available on Steam and with the 3D models as well, although as a separate game.

I'm far less familiar with FF6. As far as I know, the GBA version is still the best version, although some people recommend playing a ROM and replacing the music with the original SNES tracks. There was not remake of FF6, and the iOS version just has plain worse graphics with nothing new. I'm not sure what is on Steam for FF6.
>>
>>343199490
It's not as popular in Japan, for what it's worth.
>>
>>343219770
The PSP version of FF4 is also tuned to be easier thanks to it being based on the GBA port, so...
>>
>>343216592
What the fuck
>>
>>343202325
I liked the job system, but VI was better in every other regard.
>>
>>343221095
Did you pay no attention at all?
Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.