[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Underrated Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: Styx Master of Shadows.jpg (41 KB, 267x375) Image search: [Google]
Styx Master of Shadows.jpg
41 KB, 267x375
What's your underrated game? Any genre.

For stealth games, it's easily Styx: Master of Shadows.
For a game made by a small developer, it was an incredibly good pure stealth title.
>Good maps (even though they repeat after a while)
>Fun character
>Surprisingly great story, excellent twist
>Varied enemies force you to make use of the map and inspect your surroundings
>Doesn't punish killing

If it weren't for the disgusting final boss this would be in my top 5 games overall, not just within stealth titles. Sequel is coming this year too which is great.

What's your game that no one talks about but you love?
>>
Witcher 3
>>
>>343176015
>game that no one talks about
>>
Legend of Grimrock 2
>>
Styx is the best proper stealth game in a while.

Sequel has me hard just thinking about it.
>>
PvZ Garden Warfare 2
>>
Teleglitch is fun af
>>
>>343175734
>If I'm going into a lion's den, it's to fuck a lion.
>>
>>343175734
Damn, I need to go back and finish that. Thanks for the reminder m8.

Also, you forgot
>Map doesn't hold your hand, you have to orientate yourself with landmarks and work out where to go
Watch and learn, thiefourf.
>>
>>343176484
Nowhere near as good as garden warfare 1
>>
>>343175734
I love this game so much.
>>
File: hog1.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hog1.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
This motherfucker right here.
>>
>>343176664
classic
>>
>>343175734
>Styx: Master of Shadows.
I still haven't completed it. I was going through it recently not killing and not getting spotted.
it is a really good stealth game.
I got about 2 levels left.
>>
rise of nations, best RTS, best game of all time, for me

alpha protocol, best RPG in past 10-15 years

binary domain, best TPS in past 10-15 years by far

state of decay best zombie survival game of all time, does so many things right so many games need to learn from

mark of the ninja best stealth game of all time, by far

call of juaraz , best first person shooter in a while, probably best use of narrative in a very long time, does so many things so good and right while other games have tried to do and failed ,

MGO by far the best multiplayer game out there right now, leagues beyond anything else , good second place game would be rainbow 6 siege, that everyone shits on, but still requires more skill and tactics than any other shooter

oh and Last remnant , best tactical RPG ever made, basically ahead of its time, and no tactical rpg has come close
>>
>>343176584
>the map
Yeah at first it took me a bit of adjusting but I appreciated that the game gave you a proper definition of a map, instead of a GPS like every other game these days.

In a lot of ways Styx feels a lot like how games from the Playstation era used to be made. No hand holding, sparse autosaving (you pretty much need to quicksave after every kill), maps you need to actually read and compare to your environment. I appreciate when a game respect's it's audiences' ability to fend for themselves.

Seriously, if you guys haven't played it yet and like Stealth, you need to. I'm pretty sure it's on sale on steam right now too. Better level design than Deus Ex.
>>
>>343175734
I liked the game, but I think the game gives you a lot of utility that you never need to use. It feels like fluff. Take Dishonored for instance. The abilities are almost gamebreaking, sure, but atleast you feel like using them changes the gameplay.
>>
>>343177005
>rise of nations
>alpha protocol

my nigga
>>
>>343177271
I'd swap the two games around and say the exact same thing, actually. In Dishonoured I only EVER used Blink. Everything else was completely forgotten and ignored.

When I played Styx I used every single skill and ability I had, all the time. The only one I never used was the Clone explosion thing. Everything else was mint.

>Watching the clone you hid in a box drag someone silently to their death with no one noticing.
>Using a clone to whistle around a corner while you unfasten the chandelier they just walked under to crush them.

I really need to replay it now.
>>
>>343176664
Rented this over and over as a kid. Completely forgot about this until now
>>
File: GoT_OO&M-protags.jpg (128 KB, 600x629) Image search: [Google]
GoT_OO&M-protags.jpg
128 KB, 600x629
>>343175734
>What's your underrated game? Any genre.

Basically, Cyanide and Spiders RPGs in general. Game of Thrones RPG, Of Orcs and Men and Bound by Flame. I wasn't big on Mars: War Logs, but it's not horrible.
>>
>>343178641
>Bound by Flame

Kinda tempted by Bound by flame but I keep hearing it plays like shit.
>>
>>343175734
>Doesn't punish killing
Yeah it does. You don't get the mercy bonus.
>>
File: hw_0016.jpg (367 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
hw_0016.jpg
367 KB, 1280x960
So far I've found only one other guy on /v/ who has played Hostile Waters. This is a must-play for anyone who likes squad-based combat with AI. It's an RTS / shooter hybrid where you can command units like in an RTS and jump into any of your units and take control of them directly. It's almost like the original Ghost Recon except it's vehicle-based and you can build and customize your units on the field.

>launching an amphibious assault on a coastal enemy base
>bombard it from the sea with a hovercraft mounted with an artillery
>have AI on a helicopter cover me and dogfight with enemy air units

Fighting on sea or land while having friendly units overhead provide close air support is one of the greatest feels in videogames ever.
>>
>>343178738
It lacks polish and budget, but it has the right idea. It is what it is. Just prepare yourself for ice puns.
>>
>>343175734
>You were Punished Styx all along
>Instead of playing along, you fucking kill Big Boss Styx and become him

See Kojima, that's how you do it.
>>
>>343177005
>>343177346
As someone who doesn't tend to play RTS games, sell me on it. All of my friends want me to play it with 'em.
>>
Valdis Story.
>>
>>343180660
>all my friends want me to play this game they say is awesome
>better get the opinion of random autist neckbeards
idiot
>>
>>343180881
They never really elaborated on why it's so "awesome", anon.
>>
>>343175734
>Try playing this
>Gameplay looks alright
>Storyline looks... okay
>Controls work fine
>First few maps are fun
>Next few maps appear to be exactly the same
>Keeps being the same

I mean; I really wanted to go through the game. It looked promising. But does the layout/looks of the levels ever change, or is it always going to be the inside the prison? Putting out the exact same torches in re-sorted level models that all look the same got old quickly.
>>
>>343181278
It's the problem with the game coming from a relatively small dev. They had to work with what they had. It's interesting to do the levels in reverse with different enemies and new patrols, at least. Often the new enemy types they put there force you to choose different methods.

It does leave the prison, don't worry. But be aware that after that point you literally play the game the entire way back to the tutorial level. It's the biggest problem with the game.
I'm hoping the sequel doesn't do this as well, they had a bigger budget and a new engine for it, so fingers crossed.
>>
>>343181591
edit; most levels have previously locked off areas unlocked and explorable, so even if you're replaying a zone, there's sometimes almost twice as much level as there was before.
>>
>>343181108
so ask them you faggot im not a shill i dont have to do shit for you
>>
File: 1385277952467.gif (479 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
1385277952467.gif
479 KB, 450x400
>>343182187
Sheesh, anon. No need to be an asshole. I was just asking.
Considering that they'd be asleep at around this time, that's not really an option for me at the moment, but I guess I can wait unti later.
>>
File: 1467008424849.gif (2 MB, 260x462) Image search: [Google]
1467008424849.gif
2 MB, 260x462
>>343178830
seconded, I liked that game too

also one more interesting thing about this game
>enemy buildings serve a function
>radars alert enemy of your units
>troop buildings produce enemies
>oil rigs produce energy to fuel the troop buildings
>one has to keep those buildings in mind when battling - "is it really that good of an idea to attack enemy main base when all of the radars and oil rigs are still running."

and the ability of being able to jump into a unit yourself, was very cool. made it personal. I would often give a vechicle for all my AI's and make one vechicle without AI for myself.

Your AI squaddies are also awesome. They all have their own personalities and fighting styles. Ransom is a beast in close quarter dogfights, but get carried away and might find himself alone in the middle of the enemy base. Whereas another guy(don't remember his name) was excellent as a heli-sniper. His tactics in close quarters were awful, but long range sniping tactics were superb.

Additionally, when you were within a vechicle and went to do shit with your squad, you could control them via hotkeys. Very fun - fun like Republic Commando.
>>
File: 256px-R_cover.jpg (19 KB, 256x372) Image search: [Google]
256px-R_cover.jpg
19 KB, 256x372
Probably my favourite horror game of all time
>Amazing atmosphere
>Interesting characters
>Great soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-30uRbG74
>Just as scary as the first Siren
>Fixed just about everything wrong with the first game, from the clunky controls to the masochistic level of difficulty so that you can actually beat the game without a walkthrough now
>Aged like fine wine
>>
>>343175734
Easily the most fun game I have played in the last couple of years. I hate stealth games usually, and I had a blast with it. I kept waiting to be reunited with the orc from the first game (thought he was the one Styx wanted to bust out of the prison) but the twist was still nice.
>>
>>343183258
It's a prequel to Of Orcs and Men, but I still thought it was going to be him too.
>>
>>343184312
oh I never noticed it was supposed to be a prequel, must have missed that. I never got around to playing Of Orcs and Men
>>
>>343182187
Advanced meta-shilling right here
>>
I really liked Styx too. Only gripes are the resual of levels and the final boss.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1080
Everyone placed it aside on claims it was worse than Infamous 1 but the mechanics were much more improved and the story was awesome.
>>
>>343175734
I liked Styx a lot and have high hopes for the sequel but it felt lacking in a way I can't describe. Fuck the final boss on Goblin difficulty though.
>>
>>343185826
This, holy fuck. Especially if you played the previous level properly and ended up with no items left by the time you got to the boss. I spent over an hour on it until I absolutely manmoded it to perfection.
>>
>>343178641
Bound by Flame was tiresome as fuck, I quit it early. Orcs and Men had good main characters and a nice dynamic between the duo, but the plot itself was rather boring, mechanics dogshit and the game was painfully linear.
Now GoT is seriously underrated. It improves the gameplay of Orcs with a lot more freedom and delivers a great story at the same time.
>>
>>343181591
Judging by the few screens they've released, the sequel will have a lot more level variety. At least from a graphical standpoint.
>>
>>343185641
Replaying 1 right now because I forgot the story, never beat two though
>>
Arcanists was a fun and fresh spin on worms. Too bad if Jagex ever decided to try something like it again it would be full of pay2win jewry.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.