[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we please have an MMO thread? What are you looking forward
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92
File: image.jpg (292 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292 KB, 1920x1080
Can we please have an MMO thread?

What are you looking forward to?

What are you currently playing?

Thoughts on the genre?

Personally I want another group based MMO where there isn't a race to max level. FFXI and RO were the highlights of gaming to me for those reasons.
>>
i'm playing WoW after trying literally everything i just want to play a game that has all my characters with thousands of hours of investment in it
>>
>>343173782

FFXI was great like that but exp parties fought the most boring things
>>
>>343173914
Well I played the game back during its peak (2004 - 2008) so there were plenty of PTs who weren't just trying to rush through everything. In fact most parties were chill as fuck back then. Very few twinks yelling at you for fucking up a pull or renkei
>>
>>343173863
wow is dead
no social aspect anymore
its literally a single player mmo with raid aspects
>>
>>343173782

MMO's are a fading genre because the main appeal of them
>social interaction online
Was already conquered by normies and facebook/twitter/tumblr etc

Take out the community of mmos and all you have is a subpar online game that is worse than a moba/arena shooter for kids nowadays
>>
>>343173782
God dammit, my mithra folder is on my home computer.
>>
>>343174181

Even then that translated to pulling the occasional goblin/wight/whatever in the area that was billed as being slightly more dangerous. Though I guess that's just the downside of being group-oriented and being unable to travel to places quickly for cheap
>>
Looking forward to nothing

I'm currently playing Dofus. 6 years 5 months subscription time help me quit

MMORPG's can still be a thing. It just needs to run smoothly, not overly complicated and be comfy.
>>
Not playing anything at the moment, burnt out by themepark MMOs advertising themselves as sandboxes, or cash shops completely ruining the game(AA, BDO, etc.)

Currently waiting for Crowfall and Albion Online. Anyone in the beta care to share how they are? I'm also interested in Lineage Eternal and Lost Ark, but they're more like Diablo-games instead of MMOs, even if they're advertised as such.
>>
>>343174397
>single player
>mmo

One of these things is not like the other. Also If you're serious, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>343173782
>What are you looking forward to?
There's literally nothing to look forward to beside a VRMMO.

>What are you currently playing?
FFXIV, I just finished to level up my MIN to 60.

>Thoughts on the genre?
Fucking dead.
>>
File: Eos and Succu.gif (461 KB, 800x441) Image search: [Google]
Eos and Succu.gif
461 KB, 800x441
>>343174725
I don't know about WoW since I didn't played it past BC but in FFXIV, the whole ARR part is simply a single player game where you just follow the story quests.

Fortunately, Heavensward is much better on this but holy shit was it a pain in the ass to do 284 Main story quests to unlock the expansion.
>>
I know it was shit, but I miss 1.0, the animations were so pretty, the cat butts were fat and the shitty combat made me think of old school games, I can't "feel" that in ARR, it just feels stiff and unpolished, like it's just designed to make you go through thousands of pointless shit just to reach your friends, it's unbearable
>>
>>343174725
It's not the fault of the player when the developer designs the game that way. WoW clones are all solo games for the most part because, in the words of every MMO drone, 'the game starts at max level'.
>>
>>343176981
I haven't played 1.0 but from the videos of cinematic I've seen they were definitively much better and actually animated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD45euKWO1U

In ARR/HW they only use in-games emotes in the cinematic which make them looks really fucking stiff.

Fucking hell, even FFXI had better animated cutscenes.
>>
>>343177654

1.0 had lots of little details, people were actually content with it after months of fixes, everyone was patient since we played for free, stuff started to work and people were having fun at least as much as they had with XI, then they decided to nuke the game...
>>
>>343173782
nothing really
Lost Saga EU Private server, it's cool and I swear to god the rates are better than the official versions
>Thoughts on the genre?
it became stagnant because everyone is trying and failing to mimic the biggest MMO in the market (WoW, LoL)
>>
>>343177654

at least they killed it with a bang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEg8kXmifo
>>
>>343173782
Nothing?
Black Desert Online sometimes
>Thoughts on the genre?
It's been dying for a long time

extra ones:
Old favorite, the one I started with
Lineage 2 from C1 to Interlude. Best pvp ever and I tried close to ~15 MMOs

Quite "original" MMO
Secret World, great quests, weird combat
>>
>>343173782
Thanks for reminding me about FFXI and my old Mithra account on server Gilgamesh from 2007... I miss my LS, I miss fishing, I miss helping players complete quests and taking part of their reward as payment
I miss dressing up my Mithra and patting the head of every Taru I met
>>
>>343173782
FFXI wasn't exactly not a race to max level. It just wasn't as much of a race. For instance because of non-linear gear progression the best gear wasn't necessarily max level gear, in fact it was often mid level stuff that you could actually find in the auction house that was dropped by high level NMs that were completely out of said weapon's level range. So making money was a viable priority well before hitting max level. But it was one of many options. There's always a race to be the best, FFXI just had a few more choices for what to be best at.
>>
>>343178626

it's not like the servers are down
>>
>>343177654
Because they didn't have to remake and engine and the complete game in less than 2 years, what they pulled off with ARR was fucking insane and amazing at the same time, and thr fact that it still has a healthy playerbase and considered by many the best current day MMO to even list as a direct competitor of WoW and EVE makes it even better
>>
>>343173782
The biggest problem with modern MMOs is the want to let players be overly self-sufficient, even at low levels. In a game like Star Wars Galaxies, I was a maxed out Bounty Hunter, but I still had to stop by and grab buffs from Entertainers and Medics to wear my high end armor. Or buy food from Artisans. Otherwise you wouldn't stand a chance against the high level marks you faced, especially not the Jedi players you had to hunt. Sure, I could take a skill in medic or something, but I still wasn't 100% self sufficient. I had to go and interact with people to play the game.
>>
>>343173782
Crowfall maybe? MMOs already have the problem of taking so long to develop they are often dated by the time they are done, and very much so when Asian MMOs are finally localized 5 years later. This'll be a big problem for a crowd-funded independent project for sure, but it has some interesting mechanical ideas all the same.

I keep meaning to resub to FFXI but at the moment nothing. I'll try Legion, because WoW is fun at the launch of a new expac, however I hardly even view it as an MMORPG anymore, its supposed to be a time-sink genre you can play for years and never run out of stuff to do, and that just doesn't apply to modern WoW, the hard-tiered design eats itself and makes everything but the latest tier irrelevant.

>Thoughts on the genre?
Perpetually unfulfilled potential. A creative vacuum of cowardly copy-cats.
>>
>>343178121
That was amazing.
>>
File: 1465011746001.jpg (151 KB, 1177x799) Image search: [Google]
1465011746001.jpg
151 KB, 1177x799
Remember dofus?
>>
>>343181782
>MMOs already have the problem of taking so long to develop they are often dated by the time they are done

and devs still haven't figured this out

so fucking stupid, all those assets, all that art, fucking thrown in the trash
>>
>>343177782
>its the 1.0 was good meme
>>
>>343176009

i couldn't ever get into ff14. i played ff11 for years and enjoyed it. :(
>>
>>343180113

it's an entirely different game than in 2007.
>>
I'm going to start ESO
are there servers to choose from?
>>
I guess Crowfall. But I haven't heard of anything worth looking forward to in a long while. Hell, I haven't heard of anything new coming up at all to begin with.

Actively playing? Nothing. I played all MMOs very actively before, but after leaving FFXI... It sort of went like this,
-Played Guild Wars 2. Had a blast for the first year. Then developers started to go nuts, the game started to explode in all ways, everyone started panicking, everything began to get nerfed, the expansion crashed and burned and everything went to hell. Dropped it.
-Played Wakfu. Realized there was nothing to do no matter how much I progressed and battles became spamming the same three skills. Dropped it after many tries of returning.
-Played FFXIV up to Heavensward. Realized everything was shit tedious, everything was pointless and the community became toxic as shit. Dropped it.
-Played BDO up to close to the latest expansion. Realized everything was pointless, there was nothing to look forward to, and the game was never going to ever become challenging. Dropped it.
-Played Tree of Savior. Game is broken, everything sucks, IMC keeps ruining it more and more each update. Trying my hardest to squeeze something out of it.
-Played Blade and Soul. Noped the hell out of it 10 levels in because good lord that's garbage in every way possible.

>Thoughts on the genre?
Either it shapes the fuck up or it's going to be dead by the next decade.
>>
>>343173782
>Next FFXIV Expansion

>FFXIV

I like the MMO genre, all games have their strengths and weaknesses
>>
I'm currently playing Warhammer online on a private server(return of reckoning) and it's OK.
>>
File: 1310497836236.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1310497836236.png
386 KB, 667x670
I'm playing WoW right now because like 5 of my friends got back into it, whatever.

Even doing top tier raiding content, FFXIV and Wildstar are still better.

But those fuckboys won't even TRY anything but WoW. I have no idea why, they claim to love MMO's but won't get past level 5 in anything else.

Why are they willing to burn days of time leveling alts on WoW, but won't even get to the first primal in FF?

I'm mad.
>>
make wow great again
>>
>>343182924

Because FFXIV is garbage in every level. The only reason they stick to WoW is due to their nostalgia fueling their enjoyment.
FFXIV is WoW without the nostalgia to blind you from the steaming shit that it is.
>>
>>343182924
They don't love mmos, they love WoW. That's a big difference. It's for many the first and last mmo.
>>
>>343177654

superfluous crap like this is ultimately what led to 1.0's demise, gaius van baelsar alone had like 100+ different footstep noises for various surfaces

everything to do with aesthetics in 1.0 was top notch, but no attention was put toward the actual game mechanics
>>
>>343182212

I believe it's just 3 huge megaservers for ps4/Xbone/PC
>>
>>343174695
Albion is grindy and Crowfall is a LONG way away from being a game
>>
Nothing, it's all shit.

Project1999 (Everquest), and FFEra (FFXI), RSCEmulation/Revolution (Runescape Classic) - all private servers.

>Thoughts on the genre?
Pretty much dead. Only fun to be had is on private servers. Every modern MMORPG has done everything they can to remove the MM part of the genre without just making an offline RPG because players these days are too lazy and stupid to work for anything, and god forbid they have to deal with the drama that comes from organizing real people to complete end-game content. PvP nowadays is complete shit. The reason I love RSC is because the PvP in that game is nearly perfect IMO. In the wildy you actually risk your gear, and in dueling you can feed your gambling addiction.
>>
Anyone trying Riders of Icarus that releases today?
>>
I had fun for a while with blade and soul. The action based combat is much better than the point and click stuff
>>
>>343182108

I never said it was, I said it became half decent, and certainly it was better than the wow clone it is now.
>>
>>343183226

how are FF11 private servers?
>>
>>343183350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7GGnyNwEs
>
>>
I've tried all kinds of MMOs but I keep coming back to WoW because it's pretty much the best we have, even though it's total shit.

>FFXIV
Second best to WoW. Pretty decent dungeons and raids, good classes, no need for alts, really excellent profession system, player housing, lots of things to do. The only thing I truly hate is that all of the sidequests that aren't the main story are utterly pointless, boring, uninspired and aren't even worth doing. Not a single one of them. The level 50 sidequests are actually good. Aside from that, the main story is pretty mediocre boring shit with a few high moments. Also this game only has 4 or 5 unique environments to explore and that's it. Part of WoW's magic is the vast amount of interesting zones full of lore and a unique visual style.

>Black Desert Online
Waifus. Korean grindfest. Cash shop. ""Action combat."" Emphasis on PvP, PvE suffers for it. Zero PvE challenge. Good sandbox concepts. I like connecting nodes, hiring workers, crafting and gathering shit, managing resources. That's the fun part.
>>
>>343183495

Yeah we all play mmos to watch terrain, that's what the games are for.

PSO2 recycles even their mom and yet it's one of the most played MMOs in japan
>>
>>343173782
I'm currently playing WoW. I started very lightly in Wotlk but quit because I needed money for other stuff. I'm back now with WoD and I feel like everyone has become really anti-social. No one barely speaks and almost every place I'm currently at feels abandoned and forgotten. At most I've gotten a "Hi :D" or "Hello all" in dungeons but that's about it.
Was it always like this or am I just in the wrong places? Stormwind feels very empty and boring. Ashran might be a little bit more alive but that place is boring.

I just want someone to do stuff with, like questing or showing me cool spots. Feels like I missed out on experiencing all of the world while it was active and alive ;_;.
>>
>>343174725

>it says mmo in the genre so it must be a social and multiplayer oriented game!

lol
>>
>>343183680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5DnpidMiY
Lets look at the exciting gameplay then
>>
No idea? The problem with MMOs is that there's absolutely 0 marketing so I have no idea.
Nothing. The last MMO I tried is Tree of Savior, and I tried just for "RO nostalgia". It was pretty good but I dropped it for lag, FPS drops and other bullshit. The game itself wasn't really that bad. The very, last, good MMO I played anyway it's FFXIV. PvE was pretty good, but very tedious and slow.
>Thoughts on the genre?
Dead. No doubt on it. Times have changed and there's no way MMOs are coming back, unless some miracle.
I'm waiting for that miracle.
>>
>>343174181
Fucking Valkuurm Bogys.
>>
>>343183728
The acronym MMO literally stands for "massively MULTIPLAYER online"
>>
>>343183903

And that doesn't mean Blizzard is going to appeal to social gameplay you dumb fuck
>>
>>343183789

>I play MMOS for the exciting combat!

Underage spotted, you never played XI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67-WkFw6iKs

Look, it's the exact same, holy shit you are the same faggot spamming the same videos over and over again in every thead, I said this hours ago, ARR is nothing better, running outside of circles and then spamming macros is just as bad, once again, I said it before, it was shit, very shit, but STILL better than the shameless wowclone that ARR is and no amount of le ebin videos will ever change that, fuck off
>>
>>343183935
MMOs are literally social games.
>>
>>343183986

Okay I give up you obviously aren't following the discussion.
>>
>>343184049
Nope, just correcting you for being wrong about the acronym "MMO".
>>
>>343183350
In what way was it better?
The combat was even slower.
The Player Market was a nightmare to navigate.
The maps were made by 5 year olds who really like labyrinths.
Leveling was slow as molasses and the game even put limits on levelmetes which was the one of the only sources of exp because a single story quest appeared every 5 levels and sidequests were 1000 miles apart.

The only thing that made it bareable was that i was grinding with a couple of friends and even then killing like 50 monsters over and over again to gain a couple of levels, this counting bonus exp from parties, wasn't really fun.
>>
>>343184104

Nowhere I said MMOs don't stand for multiplayer, what I said is that WoW is not a social and multiplayer game like it used to be.

You are literally retarded.
>>
>>343174397

life is dead, no social aspect anymore to anything
>>
FFXI seemed cool. I played a bit of it last year, I'm not gonna lie I kinda liked the combat.
>>
>>343177782
1.0 was like getting into a sandbox
Except that sandbox has almost no sand
And it's full of narrow corridors
>>
File: 1419562044393.jpg (52 KB, 550x587) Image search: [Google]
1419562044393.jpg
52 KB, 550x587
>>343182924
>FFXIV and Wildstar are still better
jesus what an absolutely shit opinion
got any more steaming hot takes on the genre?
>>
>>343183983
That already looks miles above 1.0, people are actively taking part in the fight instead of literally just standing around
>, running outside of circles and then spamming macros is just as bad
>using combat macros at all in ff14 when they gimp you
Wow no wonder you didn't like it, you're just shit, and actively avoiding attacks is much more engaging than standing around in a pile of people
>>
>>343184410
They ARE miles better than current WoW, he is not wrong
>>
>>343184570

No. No, they are not. By no means.
>>
>>343184570
In what way is wildstar better than anything? And ARR is so overrated on this board I refuse to even talk about it. Fuck that boring piece of shit.
>>
>>343184145
>Leveling was slow

I maxed every class to 50 in a month while also having a job during the day. It wasn't nearly as slow as you seem to think.
>>
>>343184570
>>343184981
Perhaps it would be better if you elaborate on your opinions.
>>
How's black desert?

I haven't given a shit about raiding in years because I don't want to commit dedicated time to a video game, I just want an active playerbase to fuck around with.
>>
The fact that I will never really play FFXI, especially in its prime, actually kind of haunts me. It's so strange to feel that strongly over a video game, but after playing the free trial back in 2011 or so, I fell in love with what was even still there. It's such a beautiful world.
I remember watching some featurette about it on a PS2 demo disc years before that, and being blown away by the scale and their efforts to integrate English and Japanese players. I never had a before then, so I had never seen anything like it. I also remember my cousin subbed pretty early in, since she was a Final Fantasy junkie then, and the bit she showed me was so intriguing.
>>
>>343184354
Playing it from release until abyssea fucked up everything and raised level cap past 75 was magical. I look into the MMO genre every now and then hoping something is halfway successful at capturing what made XI so good, but people and videogames have moved on from that period of time.
>>
>>343185653

It's a single player MMO where the "MMO" bit is "you get the ripoff people in the AH with overprized garbage" and then PvP with them eventually if you can be bothered.
>>
>>343184482

>casually walking outside a circle is "actively avoiding attacks"

I can't even picture you saying that with a straight face
>>
please let me leave
>>
File: dsa.png (13 KB, 472x258) Image search: [Google]
dsa.png
13 KB, 472x258
>>343185716

It's not 2007 levels but it's pretty fucking alive senpai
>>
>>343185716
Never had a PC before then**

>>343185991
I don't have the time to sink into it now, anyway. I have tons of games to play through as it is, not to mention real life breathing down my neck. It's just wasn't meant to be.
>>
Does ARK count as MMO even if most servers are capped at 100 people? I'm having a blast and love the leveling system. Other than that, dropping WoW until Legion and keep wanting to resub to FFXIV for a month to finish the Heavensward MSQ.
>>
>>343186113
>It's just wasn't meant to be.

no you are just a little faggot
>>
>>343185991

Alive, yes.
Good, no.
The updates really killed most of the content to a varying degree of shame.
>>
How can anyone honestly stand ARR? Doesn't it bother you that there isn't a single thing you could ever do to effect your class or stand out since it's so utterly linear? You can only ever under perform, you'll never go above and beyond what other people are capable of. You don't even get to pick a talent tree or something, that has to be utterly depressing? To know every week you will turn up to raids and simply tick off a rotation that could be automated perfectly?

>>343185653

it has 2 sexy witch classes and still might be one of the worst games ever made, quite an achievement.
>>
File: 1462891389843.png (155 KB, 968x241) Image search: [Google]
1462891389843.png
155 KB, 968x241
>>343173782
Looking forward to the new XIV xpac, even bought fanfest tickets to go with my friends.
Grinding PLD in XIV is the most infuriating shit till 40 though, jesus christ

I just wish MMOs as a whole went back to being more social oriented, I rarely see areachats used for anything other than hunt callouts

is there a linkshell on hyperion
>>
>>343186284

holy shit it's 2016 don't you dare tell me you still have the time to grind like when you were a toddler
>>
>>343185861
As opposed to just sitting in one place doing nothing?
kys
>>
>>343186362

what the fuck that's your whole argument? I like to press a button every few minutes compared to not having to press it?! that's your whole reasoning? kill myself? nigga kill YOUrself lmao, you crazy ass baka desu senpai
>>
File: 1462883761185.jpg (58 KB, 366x290) Image search: [Google]
1462883761185.jpg
58 KB, 366x290
>>343186318
The content is fun and the music is good, with the current alternatives in mmos being korean garbage or wow

Like wow hasnt had any challenging content since BC, its a fucking travesty
>>
>>343186358

lineage 2 classic forces you to be social otherwise you will be raped by the lizardmen
>>
>>343186185
Yeah, that's a problem, too.
>>
>>343186459
Shit taste, as expected from a true memester
>>
>>343186361

I would just take it easier than I did back then. Doesn't really matter that much so long as the journey was actually enjoyable, which currently it really isn't.
>>
>>343186601

sounds like you are jaded desu

I'm having fun with private servers but just because I'm poor
>>
>>343173782
Im currently playing black desert online and loving every second of it. Its great.
>>
File: 2.jpg (41 KB, 276x326) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
41 KB, 276x326
>>343186358
>Looking forward to the new XIV xpac, even bought fanfest tickets to go with my friends.

Oh good lord people like you actually exist.
>>
>>343186318
>Doesn't it bother you that there isn't a single thing you could ever do to effect your class or stand out since it's so utterly linear?
Used to, not anymore. The game is structured in a way that complements it well.
>>
>>343186694
>I don't find the current state of the game fun.
>"you must be jaded"

Or, I don't find the current state of the game fun. That too.
>>
>>343186318
Why does it bother you that many people actually enjoy FFXIV? Could you be perhaps a WoW player that lost his friends to this game?
>>
>>343173782
Looking forward to scam citizen or crowfall

Both are Kickstarter games so I'm not holding my breath
>>
>>343186358
I wish I could go to the fanfest but I don't have friends that play this .. Or any friends for that matter
>>
File: 1463820563208.gif (235 KB, 182x200) Image search: [Google]
1463820563208.gif
235 KB, 182x200
>>343186732
What, what's wrong with having money to go do things with people I've known for 7+ years?
>>
I'm pretty pessimistic about the whole genre these days, but Pantheon's stream the other day actually impressed me.

Too bad even if they finish it, it'll be doomed to fail because modern gamers can't handle socializing, forming parties, and working together with said party. They literally don't know how to function without dungeon finders and loot treadmills.
>>
>>343186318
Customization in MMOs just becomes >lets google the optimal setup
and then everyone uses the same shit

>You can only ever under perform, you'll never go above and beyond what other people are capable of.
And then if you underperform everything will take longer and people won't want you in any end-game content. A person being actually good makes a very tangible difference.

> To know every week you will turn up to raids and simply tick off a rotation that could be automated perfectly?
Jesus christ you're retarded
Why play videogames at all? When you know they could just be automated perfectly?
>>
>play some shitty isometric mmo when younger
>can't remember the name of it
i know for a fact it wasn't ragnarok
>>
File: 1146878855id5628gol.jpg (49 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
1146878855id5628gol.jpg
49 KB, 640x320
looking forward to this. currently in stage beta 1 and soon to go into beta 2 with huge update. expected release august.
>>
>>343187057
Why should a company design a game around players like us if we've proven time and time again that we're the minority?

It kills me that every game is a casual corridor nowadays but it's only that way because it's the best financial decision.

Oh, except in Japan with Dragon Quest X, but we'll never get that over here because there isn't a high enough demand.
>>
>>343187265
I can guarantee you I've played it. List off some classes\skills\races you remember and I'll see if I know it.
>>
>>343177782
>FFXIV1.0 was good
No, it wasnt.
Theres a reason it failed. There is a reason the game dropped its sub. There is a reason they fired the entire dev team and replaced them. There is a reason they switched engines. There is a reason ARR was successful. There is a reason HW was a success.

1.0 ran like shit, played worse, had menus buried in menus, was designed poorly from the ground up and the world was complete shit (hello fancy hallways that somehow make up the ENTIRE WORLD).
>>
>>343187312

Is it the albion from fable? it is a fable mmo?
>>
>>343187429
generic stuff like warrior and mage i'm pretty sure
i think there might of been rogue and shit but i'm not too sure on that
humans were the only races afaik
>>
Any mmo where I can kill shit mindlessly and get more skills and more shit to kill? Basically pve focused
>>
>>343186318
The worst part about this is playing on PC and having access to a parser/dps meter. When I played I absolutely could not believe the hordes of people that do such a low amount of damage as if they were just mashing buttons randomly. I'm talking HW release, people doing the same dps at max level that was considered just average output before the expansion. Talking less than half what I was pulling in dungeon gear on any DD job. White mages getting outhealed by my scholar's fairy alone in high spike fights like Odin. Lowest skill playerbase I've ever experienced by far.
>>
>>343187528
its an mmo set in the world of albion wich refers to the stories of king arthur, merlin and all that shit
>>
>>343187679
Vindictus
>>
>>343187662
Legend of Mir2\3, Myth of Soma or MU Online are the big ones that come to mind. Google those and see if they look familiar.

Otherwise if you can think of more stuff I can likely narrow it down.
>>
>>343187679
Path of Exile :^)
>>
File: conqueronline.jpg (193 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
conqueronline.jpg
193 KB, 800x600
>>343187265
>mfw no one ever posts about Conquer Online
>>
>>343187908
it had some generic anime style going for it
>>
>>343187679
Mabinogi is pretty much the King of that. Read up on it if you aren't familiar with it. I never could enjoy it myself but on paper it has everything you could want as a lover of PvE or free-form class advancement.
>>
File: 1449362170314.png (400 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449362170314.png
400 KB, 1024x1024
>want to try ffxi
>there's no free trials anymore
>don't want to pay for two sub based mmos at the same time
>>
Elder Scrolls Online is unironically pretty awesome.
>>
>>343188352
Just google Nasomi. It's frozen at a certain content patch, so you'll need to actually party with people and talk to other humans.

As long as that doesn't scare you off I'd recommend you give it a try.
>>
File: 1465256294658.jpg (176 KB, 1000x904) Image search: [Google]
1465256294658.jpg
176 KB, 1000x904
>>343188352

I feel you.
>>
File: 1464465257425.jpg (143 KB, 640x1137) Image search: [Google]
1464465257425.jpg
143 KB, 640x1137
>>343188352
>he doesn't know about the secret chains of promathia private server with 10k+ unique players online average
>>
>>343182923
RoR made me remember ALLLL the flaws that I seem to have forgotten about WaR. Great for a small return, but I almost instantly remembered why I stopped subbing years ago.
>>
someone shilled project gorgon in the last mmorpg thread. it's kind of like early runescape and it's free so i been playing that for now.
>>
>>343187359
Except that hasn't been proven really. Yeah WoW got crazy popular real fast, it was deserved popularity. However everyone gave up trying to make original games and just wanted to hop on hat WoW bandwagon. Everyone kept trying to out-WoW WoW and most failed. It still goes on today.

There's definitely a market for older style party-based MMOs that arent all about that end game loot treadmill. The problem is nobody has really tried something like that. A few pop up from time to time but they're always poorly designed and shitty so nobody plays them anyway.

You have to the right balance actual well-designed game and old school mechanics to succeed, but nobody has yet to succeed. Something like WildStar's big failing wasn't trying to cater to old WoW fans, it was that the game was poorly designed, incredibly buggy, and rushed out to beat the new WoW expansion for a quick buck.

Honestly a game that plays a lot like Everquest with a more modern appearance could do well, but nobody wants to put effort into figuring out how to design engaging online worlds that make you want to go out and explore them.
>>
>>343187086

>"actually good" at join the dots

what a thrill
>>
Would it be worth playing ffxi if i got 4 other friends to play with me?
>>
>>343183903
Which is meaningless when companies keep putting anti social shit like raid finders in their games or designs things from the bottom up as single player game like the newer Star Wars mmo and ffxiv

If you can't get into the social multiplayer aspect by naturally playing the game it's not an mmo, it's just a normal game with chat layered over it. I can already make friends like that, I don't need an mmo for that experience.
>>
>>343188535
Please tell a fellow robot.
>>
>>343188482
>playing at those rates.

Might as well play any Korean mmo with all that grind
>>
>>343188701
Yes. It's even worth now just to play for a few months and go through all the storylines, which you can do solo now thanks to summonable NPC party members. Some of the best in FF history.
>>

Not sure, hope Star Citizen is good.

Guild Wars 2

>Thoughts on the genre?

I'm an oldfag and don't have the free time I used to. I just want something I can hang out with some bros and play like the old days but good luck getting all of them to agree on it. And it's always on to the next thing.

At this point I wonder if I should just stick to single player games.
>>
File: 1403462340373.jpg (209 KB, 1072x1500) Image search: [Google]
1403462340373.jpg
209 KB, 1072x1500
You fucking idiots. It's pretty clear OP wanted a Mithra thread.
>>
>FFXIV will never have a blue mage.

just end me now.
>>
>>343188873
>tfw you will never explore {Sky} with your bros for the first time again
>tfw you will never struggle with your static through the tough CoP fights again

>>343188935
>it's always on to the next thing
I'm fucking pissed at this. I'm about to cut contact with all my Steam friends from the past 5 or 6 years that can't stick with a fucking game for more than a week. It's gotten to the point where asking them to play is apparently irritating to them as I'm the only one that initiates any conversation anymore.
>>
>>343189412
you dont want to see the abomination that would be a yoshi-p blu if the 11->14 drk transformation is any indicator
>>
>>343187959

Wew, lad. Takes me back to when I would scour the internet for free MMOs that I'd drop immediately after the leveling slowed down.
>>
>>343188781
That's why I still love LotRO. Yeah, you can solo most of the content. You never really need to party while questing save for a few regions. But all of that is moot when it's so easy to strike up a convo with a random person you bump into and end upin a party anyway. It helps that there's actually a massive world with content to go out and find.

They're achievement system actually promotes that too. Deeds give you little rewards like reputation boosts, minor stat boosts you can freely equip/swap on your character, or even cashshop currency. In exhange you usually have to find all the landmarks in an area or kill various mobs/bosses. I've randomly found myself joining up with parties setting out to explore and finish deeds multiple times. It's grindy, yet social. Best one is escorting someone turned into a chicken across middle-earth to Isengard.

A lot of games could learn from LotRO actually. All of this is even more common on the RP server where there's still constant player run events, taverns, concerts and shit. How many modern MMOs even have a community like that anymore. Hell, most companies completely ignore the RP aspect of MMORPGs
>>
File: 1463403437470.jpg (205 KB, 528x815) Image search: [Google]
1463403437470.jpg
205 KB, 528x815
>>343189008
it all makes sense now

mithra >>>>>>> miqote
>>
File: 1403461774682.png (535 KB, 492x756) Image search: [Google]
1403461774682.png
535 KB, 492x756
WHy couldn't XIV just have been a reskinned XI?
>>
>>343189412
>the most free-form FF11 job in the extremely rigid, sterile environment of FF14
pls no
>>
>>343189562
THEY'RE TAKING THE CHICKENS TO ISENGARD-GARD-GARD-GARD
>>
>>343174397
Every MMO is like that. XIV especially.
>>
>>343183903
And North Korea calls itself Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Guess what.
>>
>>343173782
Playing FFXI with 75 cap on a private server atm. Still as fun as it was the first time.
>>
>>343190036
Same here, the whole server is like one big LS. So over time every sort of knows everyone else and making a party is incredibly easy.

I really miss people having reputations in online games, I recall if you were a dick to people then word would spread and you'd be less likely to find a party. Now with cross-world raid finders you can act like a complete tool with no ramifications.

Same thing for players with really rare equips or titles, I remember spotting them in-game would be cool and you'd tell your friends.
>>
Fun fact, FFXI alone is responsible for the incredible lifespan of the PS2 well past its expected expiration date.

>>343189785
They would have printed money. As someone who had been playing since 02 and tried XIV when it came out with my entire linkshell, we all immediately went back to XI. Jeuno shout conversations for months after 1.0 release were all about how everyone just wanted an HD XI. It would have sold like crazy.
>>
>>343182108
1.2x was better than Heavensward
>>
>>343190273
Which server? Sounds like the one im playing on.
>>
>>343190289
The thing is there's a trend where every new MMO has to have faster paced combat, as if that's the determiner for technical progress.

Thing is the faster the combat the less meaningful your decisions. An MMO needs to come out that's bold enough to have a slow-ish battle system and not be bullied when people ultimately scream at them.

>>343190383
Nasomi. It's the only real option for old-style FFXI fun. That guy works remarkably hard for one man.
>>
>>343188535
>>343188482
I don't like private servers, they always change shit from the original game
>>
>>343189461
I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one dealing with this but sad that you have to.

Why can't people stuck with something when it seemed so easy to before?
>>
>>343190315
1.x was bad, the whole 1.x experience was awful man
>>
I always regretted not playing FF11. I've been tempted to try retail or a private server but I feel like going in blind would just be a hindrance at this point. Any server community is going to know all there is to know and be high levels
>>
>>343182924
>FFXIV and Wildstar
>Better top tier raiding content than WoW
Wow might be boring as fuck through 70% of every expansion but your opinion sure is fucking shit
>>
>>343190273
When the first relics were finally being completed I remember the auto-translate names of them spreading like wildfire across the server. It was pretty amazing to see, knowing the effort of an entire LS for months on end was required to get a single one. I still remember those damn names I saw them so much in the early days.
Amanomurakumo
Yoichinoyumi
Gjallarhorn

>>343190549
You know /v/ will be the first to bully such a game. Next to leveling, the slower paced combat of XI was a big part of what built the community so strongly. You had some time to chat, even if you were the puller for a group. Dungeons or groups in modern MMOs are pure silence because you have to be smashing your rotation in at all times.
>>
>>343190775
Well how meaningful are the decisions to play these games? I know my group of friends frequently try stuff out for 2 days or so, but they state rather clearly beforehand that they're just checking it out.

If your friends are looking for a specific type of game and aren't finding it, I can sympathise with that. Can't blame them for not wanting to stick it out with the shit currently on the market.
>>
>>343185937
I want to turn back time and play very early MS for the first time ever once again
>>
>>343190315
Heavensward has been pretty good. I feel the game's finally coming to its own.
1.2x was certainly better than 2.0 though.
>>
>>343190858
For a game like FF11 where the population is slowly dwindling, newcomers are welcomed. No one is going to shun newbies. Asura is apparently the busiest retail server if you do check it out.
>>
File: binladen_fortress.jpg (111 KB, 600x675) Image search: [Google]
binladen_fortress.jpg
111 KB, 600x675
Every MMO is bad because there are 30 websites that show what every stat doest, every quest location/answer, optimal builds, optimal paths, every hidden secret, and everything else you can think of before the games are even released.

MMOs were fun because of the exploring, discovery, expirmentation, getting through hardships of all sorts with friends, etc. All that is gone.

And if you dont look at any of those websites etc, and just try to play on your own everyone in PVP will shit on you, people in groups will cry about your gear or not knowing how to play, and everyone will have better stuff and be further ahead of you in half the time.

In short. All MMOs, past, present, and future are shit. The golden age is long gone. The faggot age is running strong,
>>
>>343191134
>Heavensward has been pretty good. I feel the game's finally coming to its own.
depends on how deep dungeons are realized

everything in the latest patch was no different from what I got bored of previously. I literally couldn't tell a difference between the two new dungeons and the two expert dungeons heavensward released with
>>
Waiting for FFXI legacy servers to be announced. I would pay a sub fee for it.

Priv servers are just not good enough right now.

I miss the 05~09 era.
>>
File: holly.jpg (7 KB, 170x195) Image search: [Google]
holly.jpg
7 KB, 170x195
I have a little spare cash and no current MMO, was thinking of resubbing to 14 cause it's rather comfy and that's what I'm after. But will I just get bored in like a week? 'Cause I see it happening. My max is 54, though, so I still have story and shit.

If I wasn't a poorfag. fuck.,
>>
File: 1428872807192.png (513 KB, 470x483) Image search: [Google]
1428872807192.png
513 KB, 470x483
>>343173782
>mfw resubbed to wow again after 2.5 years not playing

d-don't judge
>>
>>343191263
>everyone in PVP
pvp in mmorpgs is dead

it's all instanced boredom
>>
>>343190858
Best way to play FF11 from scratch is to rope in at least 2 friends with you. That way you discover stuff together and are always able to get some exp.

The whole nature of FF11 is that you make a single character which can level every job. So most people will often have a high level character but could be leveling a brand new job from level 1.

If you play retail you can get to max level within a week. If you play a private server the exp rate is low enough that there's always somebody leveling a job in your range. If 3 people go into 11. 1 plays a tank. 1 plays a healer and 1 plays anything else you'll guarantee to never need to wait for a party.

PS: If you are serious about trying 11, look up Limit Break Radio. It's got a nice layout of information spanning old ffxi to new.
>>
I never heard about Nasomi and now I'm incredibly tempted to try it out. I played XI for a few months at lauch when I was in highschool and loved it. Focusing on uni and my workplace burning down kind of put an end to my playing after about 4 months. I don't think I broke level 30 but I loved it.

How hard is it to find low level parties and a decent LS on Nasomi? They friendly to newbies much?
>>
>>343191367
People here have an addiction to this website. I can't understand why anybody would judge.
>>
File: 1459036618231.jpg (111 KB, 760x820) Image search: [Google]
1459036618231.jpg
111 KB, 760x820
>>343191297
>depends on how deep dungeons are realized
The only rewards are a mount and a glowy weapon for glamour.
It has absolutely no bearing on the core gameplay.

Also fuck me, I just got the moogle mount/dance tonight and now I have zero desire to continue playing.
4.0 can't come soon enough.
>>
PSO2
PSO2 dying.
>Thoughts on the genre?
It's dead.
>>
>>343191442
>it's fun with friends
so it's not actually fun, thanks
>>
Waiting for dark age of camelots amazing private server to go back up. Uncontestably the best MMO ever made.
>>
>>343191454
>How hard is it to find low level parties
Very easy, far easier if you bring friends with you into the game. Or you set up a static with people (that means you all decide to only level with each-other, usually at pre-schedules times)
>decent LS on Nasomi?
Everyone is part of a server-wide LS primarily, it functions like a global chat on other MMO's. Some people make other LS's for end-game events but that's about it.
> They friendly to newbies much?
Incredibly so. Although new players tend to quit at an amazing rate, so don't be put off if people just redirect you to a thread rather than taking the time to explain something. It's likely because they've done so about a million times prior and those players mostly stopped playing.
>>
>>343191263
This.

People like to say MMOs are dead because the community. The community is dead because you don't have to talk to others to figure anything out anymore, and if you try to, they just tell you to go to the website that tells you everything.

And nothing any MMO can do will fix it.
>>
>>343191442
I'd be more tempted to play a private server. I'm more a fan of older MMOs. Unfortunately none of my friends a really into MMOs anymore.

>>343191912
That's another one I regret never playing.
>>
>>343173782
where is my cell phone version SE?!
>>
>>343191912

By 'go back up' do you mean 'pipe dream' or is there a date?

I always wanted to play DAOC.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAK8chLxTR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzu-lI5h2Sk

Come play old school FFXI on our private Server
>>
>>343191356
COP and TOAU were truly golden era.

>>343190979
For the group of people I "used" to play with, it's like they suddenly developed severe cases of ADD. We all picked up Helldivers for cheap in a steam sale awhile back and a week later no one but me wants to play. GTA 5, we all have a blast doing everything online for about 2 weeks then it's dead to them. Even games they introduce me to with strong replay value like Vermintide (we used to all play L4D together way back) is dead to them within a week. We got through one short Civ5 game one weekend and that was that.
These are just recent examples, this has happened with games from every genre from 4X to RPGs to FPS etc. All they want to play for more than a week is League of Legends. They're all actually cancer, I think I just needed to write it out to realize it.
>blogposting

>>343191869
It's an actual MMO, not a theme park. You won't be grinding dungeons for loot or doing dailies and weeklies in FFXI. It's a lot of fun to explore solo, and the story missions are top tier, but beyond that, you're going to have more fun hunting giant dragons and behemoths with friends than while solo. A decade ago getting loot for your friends felt just as good as getting it for yourself. The lack of a gear treadmill meant every upgrade or useful piece of gear felt amazing and tended to last for months and months.
>>
>>343192218
>>343192114

https://uthgard.org/

They're doing closed beta on their fully classic server, after years of running a really stable hybrid sort-classic server with new frontiers. No date yet, but it's definitely happening, and the devs are hard workers.

A /v/ guild would be killer, but I'm too type two for administrative shit.

We had one like 5 years ago though, and it was great.

DAoCs pvp is so fucking satisfying, and having groups of bros makes it even better, cause everyone else is Germans or Russians.
>>
>>343190979
No I understand that, there is a lot of shit like yet another zombie apocalypse survival. I've been trying with free things so there's no commitment, maybe classic fps or some private server, but it's always the same. Getting hyped for some new thing coming out only to drop it soon.

Like other anon I just need to find new steam or guild bros.
>>
>>343192820

I'm a retard, OPEN beta, apparently.
>>
>>343192665
>You won't be grinding dungeons for loot or doing dailies and weeklies in FFXI.
Yup, instead of full and interesting content, you'll just kill the same worms in a cave for a week instead.
>>
File: heavensward.png (2 MB, 1280x1368) Image search: [Google]
heavensward.png
2 MB, 1280x1368
>>343173782
Nothing. It is the only way to enjoy something in this genre.

Dungeon Fighter Online, planning to play FFXI eventually (I actually never played it).

>Thoughts on the genre?
"Open World/Massively" is dead because the modern MMO audience isn't interested in this kind of stuff anymore, same for the "community" aspect of these games.
They are pretty much Diablo 2 clones now. Too bad that, even after dropping such big feature (and working mainly on the "instanced" aspect), the quality of the MMO genre as a whole still is quite low.
FFXIV is probably the most depressing example. The game is great in various aspects (like music, world, artstyle, etc) and the gameplay, while a bit too simple, had a huge potential (with expanded itemization, elemental weakness/resist, etc), but now it have lots of forgotten features and the development direction appears to be a mix of laziness and fear of change. "Scheduled welfare updates" are also a motivation killer if you aren't part of an active hardcore raid group.
>>
Sometimes I think finding a Steam community of old school players would be the best. I miss logging into games and seeing familiar names in chat.

If /vg/ wasn't such cancer I'd try getting a Nasomi or Project1999 general going, or an old school MMO general.
>>
File: mikenolan.jpg (4 KB, 144x144) Image search: [Google]
mikenolan.jpg
4 KB, 144x144
>>343193065
>dailies and weeklies
>full and interesting content
wew

>for a week
it takes 2-3 days to go from 1-99 in retail now if you grind it out
>>
>>343193152
>"Scheduled welfare updates" are also a motivation killer
This is a big one for me. I know if I just don't play, that thing I desperately want will be just about free in the next couple months anyways, so why waste my time?
>>
I still play XIV just for lack of anything better and because I've got a decent Free Company. I really wish we had gotten DQX, though Square hates gaijin DQ fans.

At the very least it'd be nice if I could pay just a dollar or two extra a month and get access to FFXI. A low monthly fee for both, or at least a discount, would be nice and get me to play XI again without dropping XIV. For as shitty of a company as daybreak is and for all the shit they've done to ruin EQ and EQ2, it's pretty cool that you can pay one monthly fee and get access to like 5 of their MMOs.
>>
>>343193542
>nostalgic for the old game only when it suits your argument
okay
>>
>>343193561
>so why waste my time?

I'd say because the fights themselves are pretty fun and enjoyable, but the shit community makes it all unbearable. If you want to actually do raiding content at-level you basically need to work harder than trying to land some cushy new real life job. Then you finally get into a group, they wipe once and everyone ragequits because they can't handle not being spoonfed everything.
>>
>>343193205
I think you're taking the wrong approach. If you expect to get a group from 4chan to be your constant gaming buddies you'll just log on one day to find they've all gotten bored and left. I say this as somebody who's been creating groups on 4chan for years now.

What you want to do is start a general for a game, get a group together and single out the people who aren't legally retarded. Make sure you get some external contact details like Steam or Skype and then when your game ultimately dies you invite them to try the next game.

Rinse and repeat and you'll have a very healthy handful of people who likely share your views on gaming and don't make you sick to talk to.
>>
This thread just reminds me how much better luck I had with IRC for finding people to play with.

I started out the free Guild Wars 2 recently and am having some fun, but coming from the original, it seems like there is no social aspect to this game at all unless I have to get up to the higher levels to experience that?
>>
>>343193952
I enjoy the game but it's designed so you almost never have to talk to anyone else to get things done. The new end-game raids from HoT somewhat change that as everyone has to be on the ball but ultimately it's not like other games.

Get some other people on VoIP while you play the game if you're really after social aspects, the game is certainly fun but it's unlike any other MMO.
>>
File: wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg (27 KB, 290x350) Image search: [Google]
wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg
27 KB, 290x350
>>343173782

>Looking forward to

Fucking nothing.

It's a dying genre, and the best MMO out now is technically mediocre and only reason it's any good is because it's actually updated frequently, and the presentation is above average.

Yes, I'm talking about FFXIV
>>
>>343193651
I'm obviously nostalgic for old FFXI. I've also played WOW from BC onward in varying amounts every expansion, and logged ~8 months across ARR and HW. Dailies and weeklies are not full and interesting content, period. They sucked back then and they suck now. The same bosses repeated ad nauseum is not entertaining.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. What argument am I making? That it doesn't take a week murdering crabs to level? It's the truth dude. I last played retail XI a year ago and dinged 3 classes to 99 casually playing just a couple hours after work every day over 2 weeks while also running around unlocking expansion content and jobs.
>>
Crowfall might be onto something.

I hope.

If not I'll probably quit gaming for good.
>>
File: ffxiv_02242014_125126.jpg (619 KB, 1898x1042) Image search: [Google]
ffxiv_02242014_125126.jpg
619 KB, 1898x1042
>>343173782

I'm playing FFXIV atm but I've pretty much given up on raiding. I like raiding and everything but I havent been able to find a decent group since vanilla. I tried pugging endgame with a few people from /v/ (I think there were 4-5 of us) and it was an absolute disaster. We were decent enough but most of the time the people we picked up to fill slots were shit. So at this point if I ever raid again its static or bust.

So I've just been levelling my crafts. Honestly the only reason I'm even still subbed is anticipation of deep dungeon. 4 mans are probably my favorite content in the game so I'm hoping it'll be some sort of challenge. The newest info says the lower floors will be casual frendly and have some sort of story, but there will be higher floors that are there for people who want a challenge.
>>
>>343193765
While XIV have some fun fights (especially trials), gearing up isn't fun since you just want a higher ilevel (no effects on gear, no set mixing, materia system is dog shit, etc). The only good thing about XIV's gear is the "dressing up" aspect.
And, like you said, the community is terrible. People expect to be carried, refuses to learn how to do content and will quit on the first wipe, even non-raid ones (trying to get the new Balmung sword from the old EX weekly quest was a fucking 2-weeks-long nightmare, and you only have to do each trial once).
>>
>tfw you will never sit around in Mhaura ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizq6125D4k
>>
File: bout that time.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
bout that time.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>try TERA on a lark
>going elin because lolis fuck year
>those faces
>no, really, like 90% of those faces
>can't match hair color and tail/ear color
>>
Thanks you fags, now I'm reinstalling FFXI for Nasomi.
>>
>>343194127
The other thing that concerns me is the actual Guild pvp aspect. I never been too great at playing games and these always expect a certain level of skill from players. The original GW was fun for me cause I was in a Guild that liked to play for fun, win or lose, and try all kinds of stuff in the game.
>>
>>343194561
I'm with you on the raiding anon, unfortunately my server is casual but I manage to find a decent low/midcore static that keep me busy.

Also, I joined an active FC and I've been having a lot of fun just by talking and doing random shit with them.

I recommend playing the game slowly if you feel burned, and do other stuff instead, people usually think that a MMO is to spend the entire day playing it.
>>
>>343194682
>not hanging out in Selbina fishing with your sea-loving brethren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfdr70eCKTI
>>
>>343187515
>fire and replaced the entire dev team

Stopped reading
>>
File: 82d.jpg (94 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
82d.jpg
94 KB, 600x790
Gloria Victis is fun for me right now. Filling the mmo and medieval hole with one game
>>
>>343188535
>no scholar
>no blue mage
>no puppetmaster

Not fucking worth it.
>>
>>343195060
There is no such server that guy is just shitposting
>>
File: 1378428094167.jpg (80 KB, 717x473) Image search: [Google]
1378428094167.jpg
80 KB, 717x473
>>343178121
>>343181825

Man I'm actually kinda sorry I missed this. I left right after the moogle primal battle came out in 1.0. The end of xiv 1.0 is probably one of the most amazing things to ever happen in mmos. Hey you know the ARR intro? That shit actually happened INGAME with real players. Then Dalamud fell and the game/world literally ended.
>>
>>343192450
>I want people to be free to play however they want
>Mordion Gaol
o i am laffin
>>
>FFXI Scholar

Will there ever be a brilliantly designed job/class like this again?
>>
>>343195208
>Then the server crashed and the game/world literally ended.
Fixed.
It was not a stable end.
But fighting in a real in game war was pretty sweet for the time it lasted.
>>
>>343173782
>looking forward to
Nothing, I don't look forward to MMOs due to disappointment

>Playing
Currently got back into Dungeon Fighter Online for a little bit, but it's wearing thin again.
Playing HeroWarZ (gotta have that stupid fucking Z) which is a Korean Diablo-like that just hit open beta. Actually pretty fun.
Also Skyforge on the backburner, got back into that recently while drunk, and I don't remember why I stopped playing. Really satisfying, to me.

>thoughts
I don't know, I wish people would stop rushing to max level in like a week and complaining that there's nothing to do. They created a world for you to explore and enjoy and yet they feel the need to skip through it all for that final number. That's not what the genre started out as, and I'm still not sure why or when it became that way.
>>
>>343182702
>Either it shapes the fuck up or it's going to be dead by the next decade.

This anon knows whats up. I think they need to look away from the "Wow formula" and try something new.

The inherent problem with MMOs where everyone on the same server is in the same world is that it becomes grindy in one way or another
>>
>>343184309
this isnt /r9k/
>>
>>343188535
>10k average
You are lying
>>
>>343194561
>>343194561
I'm playing ffxiv right now and feel kinda stuck
My FC doesn't really go for any content like ex primals or do raids outside of pugging (which almost always looks like a disaster judging from the chat)

I got to heavensward and I'm considering switching to a bigger server.
Even though I like my FC, there just aren't enough people in it to go and make a raid schedule, or who are very interested in it.
>>
Play a MUD instead, where everybody knows everybody outside of the game and older players have all the best abilities that you will never get. Look at Armageddon: based on intrigue and plus unless you are a Lady Quoria character who has been around for years and literally can listen to any conversation on half of the map, thus making any plotting completely arbitrary.
>>
>there will never be an mmo that combines the dots and summoning of a warlock with the action of an arch class

All I really want in life tbhfAm

Also is everquest 2 still alive?
>>
>>343195895
>The inherent problem with MMOs where everyone on the same server is in the same world is that it becomes grindy in one way or another
So how else do you keep people playing then?
>>
File: Ichi99DB.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Ichi99DB.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
Wake me up when September ends.
>>
It's laughable that people think anybody has the time to sink into a single game this day and age.
If you have a hard time finding 3 other close friends to play an old as fuck game with fuck ton of grinding that will eat up more than 4-5 hours everyday, imagine finding over 1mil people in the world to make the funding and maintenance of a large scale old school MMO worth developing.
The social aspect is dead, you can play and chat with your friends on fucking rocket league with console parties or skype, and if you actually sink your time in that one only game, you will be missing out on the rest of the games
>>
Backed Crowfall before they decided to be the Game of Thrones. Fully expecting it to fail miserably.
>>
>>343192450
Whats the average population? I'm guessing it's like a single linkshell running events and such on the server?
>>
>>343182924
>op tier raiding content, FFXIV and Wildstar are still better.
>top tier raid content
>ffxiv is better

MOTHER
FUCKING
KEK
>>
>>343186514
Are you retarded.

What is mythic dungeons, heroic and mythic raids, challenge runs, please stop talking about shit you clearly are clueless about.

Mythic is somethign FF14 WILL NEVER FUCKING HAVE.

Just end yourself
>>
>>343196660
On the bright side, it has the same advantage shooters have: play and listen to a podcast or audiobook. I basically can't play story games at this point, because I feel like I could be getting more done with an online shooter.
>>
>>343195016

im tempting in buying this Gloria Victis, is it any good? convince me
>>
>>343196494
I don't know man, but whoever figures that out and makes a MMO out it is going to be rich i reckon.

If they some day make an MMO that is neither an autistic grindfest nor a casual babby game i might give the genera another go
>>
>>343173782

Lost Ark (Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XLBj5XfvI
>>
Anyone trying out Riders of Icarus? Just a warning, Nexon.
>>
>>343194819
Guess I might as well too.
>>
File: ubese.jpg (42 KB, 253x521) Image search: [Google]
ubese.jpg
42 KB, 253x521
Absolutely nothing, genre is essentially dead, even if I love it.

SWG, like I have been for over a decade. Never gets old. I don't have as much patience for grinding out entire crafting professions in one sitting like I used to, but it's still my favorite MMO.

>Thoughts on the genre?
It's dead, and as much as I'd like to say themepark MMOs killed it (they certainly didn't help), I think it's more the fact that almost EVERY SINGLE MMO released in the past decade has released broken, with the promise of "we'll fix it later."

Whether or not they do (and they sometimes do) it doesn't really matter, they usually can't gain their players back (FFXIV is a rare exception here due to the relaunch, but that game doesn't interest me at all.)

>>343181758
This is an important thing. The gravitation towards "single player RPGs where you get to be an NPC in someone else's world" certainly isn't helping the genre, although I worry sometimes this might actually be what the market wants.
>>
File: hair that could blind.png (713 KB, 667x502) Image search: [Google]
hair that could blind.png
713 KB, 667x502
mmos are my guilty pleasure
>>
anyone here play ESO?
what's it like?
>>
>>343194819
>>343197492

Same, i've never played ff11 before

may we group together?
>>
>>343173782

I'm actually looking forward to the mobile FFXI even if it looks like it'll be freemium. The main game is too dated now for my friends to return (always complain about the controls, graphics, and grind.)

Currently playing PSO2 even though it's not an actual MMO; at least the combat is decent.

>Thoughts on the genre?
I started with FFXI, but have always been interested in the older games. Too much theme park stuff now or focus on PVP that the main grind / level up is boring or tedious. I liked the older games where armor was important and unique, not just incremental defense and the same +50 to all stats.
>>
>>343196404

Armageddon as in the not!Dark Sun MUD?

Much as I love Dark Sun and a hardcore MUD, I feel as if the older players will chew you up and spit you out as soon as look at you.
>>
I only play pso2. used to play flyff and 12sky but they died with shit balance patches almost a decade ago
>>
>>343197720
I'd say sure but Installation can apparently take a few hours, so who the fuck knows when I'll be able to actually play.

I might lurk the /ffg/ on /vg/ and once I get it running ask if anyone else is playing.
>>
File: 1433652089597.jpg (272 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
1433652089597.jpg
272 KB, 700x933
Who /Dungeon Fighter Online/ here?
>>
>>343187959
>the amount of money I dropped on this p2w shitfest

Got maxed gear from black market anyway, and sold it when I quit so didn't lose much and I enjoyed it, pvp was fun if you had gear, destroying King characters was fun.
>>
>>343197651

TheGoldenOne?
>>
>>343197694
take the elder scrolls, remove what made it good and throw in some more shittyness just because
>>
>>343197694
pretty fun, it isn't skyrim online but more like an mmorpg. 1st person and 3rd person are both fun and the class you choose doesn't restrict your choice of weapons, quests are okay and story is pretty fun. you can't explore as well as in skyrim but it is still okay I guess. and every 3 months a dlc comes out so still get some more things to do even if you have finished the main game. I suggest you buy it if it is on sale or something :)
>>
File: mom is lewd.png (278 KB, 500x4900) Image search: [Google]
mom is lewd.png
278 KB, 500x4900
>>343198470
Fuck year dfo

If only it wasn't so shit
>>
>>343173782
Playing wow right now. I always wanted to play retail wow but could only afford pservers. I got the game for buying the movie ticket and I am now trying to get to 100 and start farming gold to buy game time.
>>
>>343197694
I got it a week or so ago and have had a lot of fun.
Feels like an MMO in TES world, quests are pretty good as MMO quests go with some fun writing/characters.
Lots of TES mechanics you might not expect like stealing/sneaking/lockpicking, lore book collection, etc.

Very solo oriented outside dungeons/pvp though so if you don't like that I'd say don't bother.
I'm impressed and plan to keep playing for awhile though.
>>
>>343183414
Stay away from FFXI private servers. They're all built on Darkstar Project code, which means they're basically half broken messes that have had things like damage and enmity formulas done by guesswork, causing some seriously janky shit.

The tank and spank that FFXI endgame was built around is virtually impossible because enmity caps so quickly thanks to the shitty formula, meaning aggro will be bouncing around like nobody's business within a minute or two of any real DPS.
Also, the server he's referring to, FFEra, is an unstable piece of shit with a population full of people who abused broken jobs/mechanics to gear their chars out, yet expect new players to do it the hard way.
>>
>>343174397
>I cannot socialise therefore there is no socialisation in wow
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.