[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you finish a game or are picking one up, what are somethings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 20160629_001331.png (1 MB, 1440x808) Image search: [Google]
20160629_001331.png
1 MB, 1440x808
When you finish a game or are picking one up, what are somethings you look for? Not necessarily genre-specific but, feel free to enlighten me.
>>
>>343160308
Usually a dark atmosphere with great story and good gameplay, also games that give you freedom on some places like character creation, exploration, and so on.

> I love the Souls Series so I generally look foe games with that kind of vibe
>>
>>343160514
Hmm, thanks for the input. Looking to getting into design on the side.
>>
File: 1462947770126.jpg (21 KB, 236x334) Image search: [Google]
1462947770126.jpg
21 KB, 236x334
A balance of difficulty, nonlinearity, and diversity.

If a game has only two then it's still good. But if it's only one, then it sucks.

Robot Unicorn is hard. But it's linear and not diverse so no-one wants to play it anymore.

SMB is linear, but it's hard and offers diversity through its deep physics and that the levels are short enough to be completed in sprints, which emphasizes tactic as to whether you should get power-ups or not; even without the game doing anything or telling you a word.

A good game can design itself by executing any of those two right.

OoT is the best game ever because it's got all three in spades. In b4, BAW NOT HARD! The reason Heart Containers exist as Maelstrom so eloquently put it, is so that you can regulate your difficulty, not so much as a collectible (but the fact that it can be played that way and offers you alternatives (i.e. fairies/milk bottles/Nayru's Love) is part of what makes it good. Even the best speed-runners choke on Ganon or on the way to him, so don't you dare tell me it's not hard.
>>
>>343160308
Fun
>>
>>343160308
I look for cinematic experiences with a deep stories and tough subjects like moral dilemmas to meditate about them, kinda like Bioshock Infinite
>>
Do you play one game at a time /v/?

Or jump between a few?
>>
Replay value is great.

Finishing a game and thinking:

Let's do this again but wirh a different start/build/class whatever

Also a sense of accomplishment. Making a change in the world by your actions, beating the final boss or reaching whatever goal yoh set yourself at the start.
>>
>>343161246
>so don't you dare tell me it's not hard
OOT is a great game but Ganon is not hard at all, the dude has literally 1 (one) attack, and all you do is roll under his legs and mash B
He looks intimidating but is just a pushover
>>
Replay value.
Different ways to approach puzzles or anything to mix up combat. I know it sounds like an E3 spiel but in DD you have different classes.
Diverse environments.
Secrets and small areas inside a large world. That was one of the best things about Skyrim for me.
Challenging but fair difficulty.
>>
>>343160308
Fun and something to take my mind off things and my problems
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.