[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tipping point for purchasing a console
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 2683188-collection.jpg (959 KB, 1850x1210) Image search: [Google]
2683188-collection.jpg
959 KB, 1850x1210
All right, /v/. How many games that strike your interest does a console require before you will consider purchasing it?

Is there ever a case where a single title is enough to make that leap?

Is it different for handhelds?
>>
Like a chump, I bought a PS3 for FFXIII when it came out (I got both on the same day)
At the very least, I enjoyed many other titles on the PS3 so I had no regrets getting the system.

Handhelds, being generally cheaper, I'm more willing to just toss money at for a single title or two if I'm really looking forward to them.

As for moving forward, Still being a chump, FFXV is enough for me to purchase a PS4. I already own one, but if they announced they were releasing a special edition PS4 to go with the game I would have bought that too.
>>
I've bought several consoles just for a single game.

Sega CD for Lunar TSS. PS3 for MGS4. 3DS for Megaman Legends 3 (whoops). Wii U for Xenoblade X. In every case there's been at least a couple other games that ended up catching my eye and made it worthwhile, even in the case of the 3DS where the game I originally wanted it for never even fucking came out. I mean I won't pretend its a good use of money but dropping a few hundred like a dumbass once every few years isn't a huge deal either.
>>
>>343159669
I really wish I didn't sell all of my old consoles and games.
>tfw had an InTelevision that still worked
>>
Usually enough games to make up the price of the console itself.
>>
File: image.gif (59 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
59 KB, 256x192
>>343159669
>buying a console for exclusives
>buying a console for the NUMBER of exclusives
You're supposed to buy a console for it's features you retard.
But I guess that doesn't matter anymore since both nowadays are basically the same thing: lobotomized PCs in a box with no innovation or ingenuity.
>>
>>343162167
>its not about the games
/v/
>>
>>343159669

I bought a Wii U since I managed to get a deal on a Windwaker one and getting Mario Kart 7 allowed me to get Pikmin 3 for free. Later on I had Splatoon and Smash Bros along with Pokken recently. Virtual Console also allowed me to try the games I never really got to play when I was a kid.

I bought a Xbone because I kinda wanted to try a Halo again and so I bought the Halo 5 version. I got a bunch of games cheap from other people and I also use it to play with my cousin and be his long distance big bro.

Can't wait for Halo Wars 2 and Gears 4
>>
>>343159669
>the guy in picture related had to sell his collection of games because his wife made him do it.

top fucking kek. sold it on ebay for like 750,000 or something like that.
>>
I don't buy consoles or handhelds unless they get a megaman x game I can't play

That's literally why I bought a psp

Everything else I will stick to pc
>>
I bought a PS4 for Street Fighter V and look how that turned out...I really hoped that the metagame would evolve dynamically like in the previous entry, but it's just boring. The mechanics aren't as enticing as the previous one either.

At least I also got Disgaea 5, which never fails to keep me busy.
>>
>>343159669
I begged my parents to buy me a GameCube just for Animal Crossing.
>>
>>343159669
The pic on the wall above the TV almost ruins everything.
>>
>>343159669
Here's the math:

>[(Cost of a game) * (number of games that interest me)] + [(cost of console) / (number of games that interest me)]

Essentially, divide the price of the console evenly among all the games I want to get for it. If that console cost PLUS the cost of games for that console feels reasonable, I'll buy it.
>>
>>343162575

I'd rather have the $750k, to be honest.
>>
>talk about getting a Wii U for some exclusives and consider buying it used on craigslist
>brother's GF buys it for the family as a gift out of the blue without telling anyone
>play maybe 3-4 games mainly and kind of ignore Wii U for long periods of time

I feel worse if someone buys me shit as a gift, like if I buy it and I don't do shit with it, no big deal. If someone else buys it for me, I feel guilty.

Not a bad system though. Considering getting Xenoblade Chronicles X and Wonderful 101 if that goes on sale.
>>
>>343159669
>How many games that strike your interest does a console require before you will consider purchasing it?
Just one, but has to be a really, really good one.
I got a ps3 for dragon's dogma. I feel quite silly about that now.

When a game on the same level of "perfectly fits my tastes" as DD comes out I might get a ps4 or xbone.

not saying DD is the best game ever, it just had everything I wanted out of a game
>>
>>343159669
I've bought a 3ds xl simply because I wanted to play Braveley Default. I didn't know much about the system's library at that point. But I didn't regret it because I really enjoyed BD and also because there are many other good to great games for the system.
>>
>>343159669
I factor in not just the games I'd play but also the money I'd be dropping on the system itself and other necessities. I think the reason why I still don't have a vita is mainly because those memory cards are still overpriced to hell in addition to there being no games that I'd play on it. People who buy a home console at launch are fucking retards because those inevitably receive a price cut and/or improved versions about a year or so after initial release. Controller prices are also important for me, in this generation they're actually the same cost as buying a game which is ridiculous.
>>
i own all console/handheld besides xbox, xbox has to do something fancy to get me to buy it but it comes down to its games, it doesn't have any I want to play.
>>
5 current, 5 coming in the year. Or 20 total.

Im tossing up over getting a PS4 after finding that Dark Cloud 1/2 are on it, i think i'll wait for a slim model like i did with the PS3.
>>
>>343159669
Almost bought an XBONE today because relatively cheap and Rare Replay.

Then I remembered I could just emulate half the shit that's in there.
>>
>>343159669
Would probably only play mario 3 and not touch any other games in that pic
>>
>>343164524
>wife made him sell it

it's not YOUR 750k, you idiot.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.