[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this so mildly received? It still looks absolutely fantastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 41
File: lost_odyssey_xk_2ds.jpg (537 KB, 1321x1866) Image search: [Google]
lost_odyssey_xk_2ds.jpg
537 KB, 1321x1866
Why was this so mildly received? It still looks absolutely fantastic today and has some of the best production values in any game
>Fantastic soundtrack
>God tier voice work and facial animations as the lip synching was based off of the English version
>Fun combat that actually made you think about how to attack bosses/bosses playing out like puzzles at times
>Fantastically written visual novel sections
>Believable and well realised characters that aren't just JRPG stereotypes
About the worst thing you could say about it is the lacklustre main story and the fact that the human characters become relatively obsolete by the end of the game.

It was somewhat vindicated by history but it really shouldn't have had to be. Why is Microsoft just sitting on the license? Why not at least port it to PC or something? I honestly don't think we're going to get as good of a turn based RPG again. This is why Microsoft needs to be on the backfoot more often; they publish some quality stuff when they're trying to get people's attention.
>>
I really liked it, but never got around to finishing the last disc and don't own it anymore, i would love a port, and it should be backwards compatible on the Xbox one soon if it's not already because Microsoft just allowed multi disc games to work
>>
>>343155226
Because it's an Xbox exclusive. I can't blame Phil for putting out Gears-Halo-Forza when it's the only thing the retards buy. Every time they try something new, even if it's good, Xbots just don't support it. Hopefully with PC and Xbox merging that will change.
>>
>>343155226

the cover looks like a budget Dreamcast game
>>
>A 360 exclusive JRPG
who knows anon.

Some of the dreams were meh.
especially the one im not going to bring up because I want this thread to survive but you probably know which one im talking about

>Kaim isn't an emotionless faggot the whole game
I was pretty glad.

Jansen best character.
>>
>Final Fantasy X-esque JRPG released on a dudebro console
It's a shame, Mistwalker had a shitton of potential but were doomed from the start. Is Terra Battle any good? I hate mobile gaming but I like the studio and the artist for the game.
>>
File: lostodyssey_japanese_box.jpg (210 KB, 800x1140) Image search: [Google]
lostodyssey_japanese_box.jpg
210 KB, 800x1140
>>343155445
I think this was the Japanese one.
>>
I still regret never finishing this game back when I had a 360. The music was great and Jensen was funny.

I hope it one day comes out on PC or I can emulate it or something.
>>
>>343155482
All of the characters actually turned out pretty great after a while despite some dodgy introductions. I really liked the whole cast. They all had interesting enough personalities and played in unique ways. The combat system in this game was awesome for working out efficient party compositions. The front-line back-line idea worked so well.

>>343155626
Not only does that look better to me, I imagine it'd appeal to the general 360 crowd better as well. It really sells the 'crazy mystic journey' angle better than the one we got, which just says 'please mistake me for Final Fantasy.'
>>
>>343155626
Was that done by the mangaka for Vagrant? btw, is that a good series? Its art is beautiful.
>>
>>343155626
Jesus Christ that's fantastic. Why didn't we get that again?
>>
I think Blue Dragon had a much better combat system but Lost Odyssey has the better story/script/characters
>>
File: Numara-Soldier-C.jpg (33 KB, 582x370) Image search: [Google]
Numara-Soldier-C.jpg
33 KB, 582x370
These guys come up to you in a club and slap your grandchildren. What do you do?
>>
>>343156162
Sick my autistic healer loli daughter on them.
>>
>>343156308
Granddaughter.

Seriously though, why were they so fucking hard? People on here complain about Bogimoray (who was easy as shit if you got the Anti-Paralysis thing. For fuck sake the first boss was harder than him) and Ice Magic Beast but these guys were up there as one of the hardest bosses in the game.
>>
>>343156432
That's funny.
Bogi took me several tries, but i didn't have any problems with the soldiers.

Post-Bogi fight was worse though.
>>
>>343155226
If this game was released as FF12 and the current FF12 was released as an Ivalice spinoff, both would have been insanely successful.
>>
Always happy to see Lost Odyssey love on /v/.

Game is criminally underrated and is probably a better JRPG than any JRPG to come out of this gen so far. Not a big achievement but still.
>>
>>343156751
JRPGs have come out this gen?
>>
File: 51mBzT7XwPL.jpg (57 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
51mBzT7XwPL.jpg
57 KB, 354x500
Because it was overshadowed by a much better exclusive jrpg on the xbox 360
>>
>>343155226
the characters at times are kinda weird but yea, the game is absolutely wonderful.
The whole "xbox360 exclusive" probably killed it, it's basically a jrpg that japan couldn't play because no japanese ever bought a X360.

I only hope it will reach PC one day so I can buy it again (my X360 died of RROD years ago) because it really deserves it.
>>
>>343155226
Xbox exclusive

I played it last year when I finally borrowed my friend's Xbox and the game is ridiculously amazing

The true FF13 honestly, it's aged quite nicely
>>
>>343156929
They're both equally good.

Really couldn't pick one over the other.
>>
>>343156958
>because no japanese ever bought a X360.
Then why the fuck did we get so many jap shmups and niche as fuck jap games in general on XBLA?
>>
File: Patty.Fleur.full.831273.jpg (728 KB, 900x1313) Image search: [Google]
Patty.Fleur.full.831273.jpg
728 KB, 900x1313
>>343156929
>exclusive
But the 360 version was objectively worse.
>>
File: 305.jpg (41 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
305.jpg
41 KB, 512x384
>Treasure Trove
What cheeky cunt at Mistwalker put that achievement in? You have to pretty much be following a guide for the entire game to keep track of everything.
>>
>>343156979
Not for me I liked ToV much more
Combat wasn't a repetitive chore, and the pacing is much better, I liked the characters more in Vesperia
But my biggest gripe with Lost Odyssey is the story, it starts off pretty cool but never goes anywhere
For a game that was made by the father of Final Fantasy, it just lacks the wow value, nothing truly exciting happens and the final boss is carried only by the music instead of having a cool design
The entire game seems way too grounded, especially aesthetically, and without a fun combat system to back it up
>>343157071
Microsoft was trying to make them buy one by getting those exclusives
>>343157401
I was talking about 2008, it was an exclusive back then
>>
>>343157575
I thought the combat system was pretty good as far as turn based games go. Bosses were actually handled very well in that there was a general strategy to them beyond just hitting it until it dies.

But yeah, the story is by far the weakest part of the game. The 1000 Years of Dreams section you can tell was written by an actual writer because of how good they were in comparison to the actual game's writing.

The characters themselves though were very well done, especially Jansen who I think is one of the best voiced characters in any video game. Seriously, that was some absolutely amazing voice direction for him and he's pretty much a complete nobody who basically just voiced Knuckles beforehand and has done nothing since.

Seriously, that scene where he first meets Ming is one of the most eloquent displays of voice work I think I've heard in a game. Like I said though the rest of the game also has really good voice work especially by the standards of JRPG's but he just stands out in particular.

But I can understand how you might not like the game as much. I think Blue Dragon ultimately had a better battle system but Lost Odyssey's was done well enough I reckon.
>>
>>343155579
It's the only thing keeping them afloat. And it competes with the likes of Puzzle and Dragon, and Record Keeper. They did announced that they were making a non-mobile game. But not much news about it since it was announced months ago.
>>
File: Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg (44 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg
44 KB, 256x245
lost odyssey and this never get enough love and im so mad i have a dead 360 because id probably replay it right fucking now
>>
>>343155943
No, Vagabond.

Takehiko Inoue.
>>
best song coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8
>>
>>343158391
Who does that fast Japanese chanting/talking/rapping at the end?
>>
>>343158391
Action shit need not apply.

Comfy story time is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwxrQxC8Zw
>>
>>343158145
The turm based combat was just so slow
Not only were the first few bosses more difficult than any other, but the battles took a ton of time to do
And I like turn based combat, Persona 4 came out in 2008 too and I liked the combat in that much more
And yeah the VAs were great, Tara Strong was another huge surprise
Overall it's a good game, but it was overshadowed by games I liked much more that year
>>
>>343158709
>Tara Strong
holy shit, she actually did a really good job
>>
>>343158814
Yeah I was not expecting Seth to be voiced by her
Thr credits surprised me
I still like her Rikku more though
>>
>>343158709
>>343158814
I think there was a lot of unnecessary fluff and loading that lead into battles, definitely. It takes a good 15-20 seconds for a battle to even start after the scene transitions.

And yeah holy shit she actually put in a good performance.
>>343158904
Well it's pretty much her normal voice so it was hardly a surprise.
I think Toot is her best character and it's her favourite too, apparently.
>>
>>343155226
I got bored of it instantly so there's that. Most seventh gen JRPGs sucked.
>>
>>343159269
Yup, and considering FF9 is Sakaguchi's favorite game it's not a surprise
Why is that even a thing on the xbox? It's tedious to waste that much time on game with tons of random encounters
>>
>>343155482
>especially the one im not going to bring up because I want this thread to survive but you probably know which one im talking about

What one was that again? The one with the terminally ill drug addict?
>>
>>343155863
>dodgy introductions
You didn't like Jansen coming out completely smashed with two girls on his arm?
>>
>>343156732
FFXII already was insanely successful. Sold about 6 million copies.
>>
>>343159650
Jansen I actually didn't mind from the start, so I was pleased when he was more fleshed out as the game went on.

By 'dodgy introductions' I meant the kids. When they first came in all I could think was 'oh fuck now I have to listen to this for the rest of the game' but they were actually handled very well.

Never actually finished the game though. Gotta finish disc 4 one of these days. I'll probably do it soon.
>>
>>343156918
Uhhh Star Ocean 5? Atelier Sophie? Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? There been any Nep abortions yet?

Yeah honestly though there's been a complete dearth of JRPGs this gen.
>>
File: 1464591676521.jpg (33 KB, 466x349) Image search: [Google]
1464591676521.jpg
33 KB, 466x349
>>343159850
Post yfw we will literally never get another good jrpg.

It's LITERALLY a dead genre.
>>
>>343156929
>>343156979
Oh yeah I loved the absolutely dog shit (literally at times) party members who never healed you when you needed it. Xillia fixed it somewhat but that just made the game too easy.
>>
>>343159850
I actually own a ps4 but nothing has gotten my attention lately. It's a shame that the thing just gathers dust because I generally prefer Japanese stuff. Aside from Nier: Automata is there anything to look forward to in the future? And even there I must be some kind of mutant because I actually really liked the way Nier played and think Platinum might miss the charm of it.
>>
>>343159951
That's why you can switch what party member you control and heal yourself
>>
>>343159772
>Here's a fuckhard fight against dickhead soldiers and a funeral minigame
Yeah they didn't get the best of starts, did they?
The way they and everyone else reacted to their mother dying was much more affecting than I thought it would be, though. Nearly got me crying along with them. Very well handled scene.

I burst out laughing though when I killed Mack in the boss fight and it just cut to a Game Over with Cook crying over his corpse.
>>
>>343155364
Same here, I think I stopped playing somewhere in disc three.
>>
>>343155626
That dude looks high as a kite
>>
File: 1315819184-02.jpg (186 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
1315819184-02.jpg
186 KB, 800x1130
>>343155626
What the fuck was up with Microsoft giving their JRPG's shitty covers for their US release? Even the PAL version of Infinite Undiscovery had a better cover than the USA version!
>>
>>343160065
Yeah but when I set them to be conservative and heal when needed I don't need them blowing through all their MP on useless spells and not healing me even when they have tons left. Every early game boss is a struggle in that game because of this. Yuri Lowenth-uhhh Lowell is probably one of the better JRPG protagonists, though.
>>
>>343160332
>infinite undiscovery
isn't that the DINNER game?
>>
>>343160332
DINNER DINNER DINNER
>>
VEINY
>>
>>343159580
>>343155482
Seriously mate which one are you talking about? I wanna know what the great Lost Odyssey thread destroyer is.
>>
File: 1459303864273.png (135 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1459303864273.png
135 KB, 500x282
>>343158630
mein neger. best song in the fucking game man.
So many emotions conveyed in one absolutely beautiful song for maximum comfy.
>>
>>343159772
same with me for never finishing the game. I got to the start of Disc 3 where you fight the mages boss and my characters were all level 50 something I think but they were just one shotting me with their spells. and that whole section before didn't have any fucking save points so if I wanted to leave the game I would have to run back through that tedius as fuck dungeon before hand.
>>
>>343159975
you should check out Odin Sphere. it allows jap voices and it has a fun hack and slash combat system with some simple rpg mechanics. it's pretty fun and the music is great.
>>
>>343161169
Yeah, some of the dungeons get pretty rough. I got a bit into disc four then a certain tedious boss fight blocked me for a while and I haven't gotten back yet. It's such a fantastic game that I'll have to finish it though. 360 still works so I'll get there.
>>
>>343155226

It was kind of boring, the combat got tiresome as fuck and the plot was flat out retarded (only made more retarded by the fact that they hired an amazing writer and had him write ministories instead).
>>
>>343155226
I bought this game on release and was very disappointed, cool other people seemed to like this game though.
I thought the characters were the definition of boring (I honestly have no idea how op could say that these characters are not just jrpg stereotypes). The game's story started out with some cool mystery (like the kid falling in the main characters dreams) but the story only got progressively worse as the mystery started to unravel.
And the combat could've learned a thing or two from FFX. I get that it's just a call back to early FF and DQ games but I fail to see the fun in selecting your whole parties moves at once.
>>
File: 1443487144736.png (1 MB, 1512x1072) Image search: [Google]
1443487144736.png
1 MB, 1512x1072
>>343160332
>mfw I actually un-ironically fucking love this game and still own it to this day
>>
can I play this game without 360 now?
>>
>>343155226
its a JRPG on Xbox
that being said if there was backwards compatibility i'd play it
>>
>>343155226
I think last story is underrated. it does have a shitty combat and generic jrpg story but still.
>>
>>343155226
Not porting LO to PC was one of the biggest missed opportunities, even if it happened years later and especially when PC was starving for JRPGs before everyone and their dog jumped on it.
>>
>>343161628
It's the embodiment of an average JRPG for me.
>>
File: 1435984399907.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1435984399907.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>343160332
>GRINN VALESTI
>GRINN VALESTI
>GRINN VALESTI
>GRINN VALESTI
>GRINN VALESTI
>>
>>343155579
i heard there making a console version of it. no not a port but different gameplay. i never heard recent news of it though
>>
>>343155226
I sold my 360 for a xbone and bought only Halo wars and this game in hopes that one day they would be backwards compatible.
>>
>>343155579
Microsoft was in that weird phase of getting JRPGs early on in 360's lifespan.
>>
>>343161923
that's why I love it so much. I can just pop it in and relax to it like a Saturday morning cartoon
>>
>>343162186
Early 360 days were pretty god tier
lots of support for indies
they really tried to establish a market in Japan, getting plenty of good JRPGs
even got Square to go multiplat with Final Fantasy
then the Kinect and CoD happened and the rest is history....
>>
>>343162186
This is the beginning
>>
I hope it gets xbone BC so I can get rid of my 360 without worry.

I've only gone through 5 of them...
>>
>>343161628
Don't worry anon, I'm the same.
I need more games with its battle system.
>>
10/10 were it not for the fucking Rugrats VA.
>>
>>343162889
It's funny you say that, tri-Ace stated that the battle system that they made for Star Ocean 5 heavily borrowed from their work with Infinite Undiscovery's battle system. Of course the smaller budget of SO5 didn't do that any favors, so that's as close as we're gonna get for now.
>>
They need to rescue this game and Blue Dragon and port them to other systems, both were really fucking good games that deserved more
>>
>>343164154
Some one should start asking square
>>
>>343164595
Why Square?
>>
>>343163458
Fuck you, I had completely forgot about that. Now I can't unhear it.
>>
>>343155226
At the risk of sounding casual, it dragged on too much.

I got it when it came out. Always have enjoyed turn based combat. Started off fun, I really liked majority of the characters which is rare for me from a jrpg. I was about halfway through the last disk when i just couldn't be bothered turning on the Xbox to play anymore.

It had began to get very tedious. I don't remember exactly why but yeah, I just got very bored with it. It's a long game.

I'm not sure what it was that made me bit want to continue it, i had never since and never before played a game and then just suddenly decided not to finish it anymore.

Maybe one day I will try again.
>>
>>343163458
I actually didn't mind that after a while.
>>
>>343164595
Actually Microsoft owns the IPs for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Some other Japanese games that they also own are Infinite Undiscovery, Ninety-Nine Nights, and of course Phantom Dust.
>>
>>343164595
>square
no fuck you
>>
Why does Mistwalker hates sony again? they really never made a game for sony console
>>
>>343155226
I played it and loved it back in the day. 360 had a few very good JRPG and my favorite was probably infinite undiscovery with this being a close second
If they ever make a remastered edition I would love to play it againon PS4
>>
>>343155226
Everything about it was great except for Cooke and Mack and their whole "we miss our dead mom" bit that came up way too often.
>>
File: What the hell.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
What the hell.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>343157547
>mfw I managed to get it first time without really trying
>mfw tried to repeat it a couple of years later with a guide and I didn't get it
>>
>>343162680
Here's where it all gets started
>>
>>343155226

It was a great game, but it came out for a system no one in the target audience owned. I bought an Xbox 360 used a few months ago for the sole reason of playing this game, and I was not disappointed.

PC could still save it though.
>4k
>60+ fps
>keyboard/controller

Advertise it right and it would dwarf any attempt SE has made to push in on the PC-jrpg market.
>>
>Love LO
>Pick up a 3ds
>Love SMT4
>Pick up Persona 3
>Literally the worst paced game I've ever played
>Battle system is braindead as fuck
Why do people praise this shit again?
>>
>>343155226
I still remember that commercial.
>>
>>343165395
Play the superior PSP version you faggot it lets you control your team mates. I will agree that the pacing has some definite issues during the school breaks but it is a great game regardless.
>>
File: 1434485816461.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1434485816461.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>Tfw the OG Xbox was essentially the Dreamcast 2
>People ignored it just like the dreamcast
>tfw the 360 tried to get Jap devs on board again but failed
>tfw MS could have been the rebirth of SEGA but Japan was too busy being autistic
>>
>>343160660
Hanna's Departure
Which I really don't get because The Bread of Grandma Coto was a far better story imo
>>
>>343165562
Speech bubbles isn't exactly a break from monotony man. I want to do actually interesting things inside the school man. Shame P-Studio decided to pander to Persona fags instead of making more games like Catherine.
>>
File: 20 years of being disgusted.png (210 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
20 years of being disgusted.png
210 KB, 361x361
>>343162850
>I've only gone through 5 of them...
So that's how it got so many units sold.
>>
>>343159772
Jansen was bro-tier by the end of the game. I felt he got fleshed out and developed really well.
>>343160201
I'm not too proud to admit I shed a tear at that scene
>>
>>343164883
>>
>>343165395
it's more a story game and "my first SMT" then anything. Combat is easilly the weakest part, but sometimes the bosses can be challenging.

Sometimes
>>
>>343164883
Because
A)They were literally created using MS money
B)Sakaguchi has a huge hateboner for Sony, just like Swery and Itagaki.
>>
File: 8e8.png (17 KB, 509x619) Image search: [Google]
8e8.png
17 KB, 509x619
>Cry On will never get made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBR3CcJslC4
>>
>>343165772
>>343164883
It's not that, it was the partner for MS to try to get the attention of the Japanese market, you had the original writer, compositor of Final Fantasy and Akira fucking Toriyama on board with Blue Dragon that even got a full anime series.
It didn't work as well and MS basically abandoned them and took the LO IP with them, they tried to survive with Blue Dragon shitty sequels on Ds but failed they are but a smarphone dev team now dunno if any of the big names are on board anymore
>>
>>343163538
Oh shit, I didn't really take any notice of Star Ocean gameplay(even though I've preordered it)
Thanks for the hype anon.
>>
>>343166223
Don't get too excited, the combat is the only high point. Everything else reeks of small budget and it really hampers the games true potential.
>>
>>343165395
Weebs use it to escape their pathetic lives
>>
>>343166421
I'm easily pleased.
I really enjoyed SO4

Lost Odyssey PC release when?
>>
>>343166438
how much of the success is from non-japanese and how much is actual japanese? Is it any more skewed than with other games?
>>
>>343155226
>Why was this so mildly received?
Because it was on xbawks.
>>
>>343155226
It was a weeb game exclusive to a non-weeb console. It's a shame though, as it's way better than any Final Fantasy released in the last 15 years.
>>
>>343166630
It's carried by the west here. Persona is Atlus's best selling series overall, but Persona 3 and 4 sold less than Persona 1 there. I think SMT 2, Devil Summoner, Persona 2 EP and SMT If... also made some substantial numbers
>>
>>343162656
It didn't really matter with Japan consider some dev decided to release a better verison of their game on the ps3 which piss of a lot of Japanese gamers
>>
>>343166903
Just because it's japanese doesn't mean it's weeb you dumb shit. Big budget JRPGs like this and Final Fantasy are eaten up by normies
>>
>>343166531
I mean I too enjoyed SO4, but SO5 feels more like a budget title. Don't get me wrong, the combat is exactly what you're looking for. The combat is a good blend of both Infinite Undiscovery and SO4. Like I stated before, it's the only high point of the game, but everything else is terrible. It's shortcomings all come back to Square Enix trying to play it safe with the budget of this game. The towns are bland and empty, and the quests are a drag to do. If anything, don't get this game at full price, wait for it to drop around $20-$30,
>>
>>343164779
I wish they reboot Ninety-Nine Nights it was good dynasty warriors clone but a little harder but also phantom dust is getting a remaster for xbone n Windows10
>>
>>343165827
Why do the Trinity three hate Sony now
>>
>>343165670
Hanna's Departure is the first one you can get right?
What was wrong with it it was one of the best
>>
>>343166036
It did shitty in Japan but did well in the West not million sellers but we'll enough
>>
>>343165615
Ps2 had a head start of the competition and was gaining a lot of third party exclusive from Japan and Japan hated how big the og Xbox was
>>
>>343155226
I bought it at launch and was disappointed because it presents the story terribly. It hides all the interesting story bits in huge logs rather than presenting it in the game and it throws cut scenes at you constantly when dialogue boxes would do. Its a bit of a boring mess.
>>
Because it's not Final Fantasy and the memories could have been done a lot better than text.
>>
>This thread
I didnt even remember that Infinite Undiscovery actually existed, might as well try to check it out
>>
>>343167319
No one knows, but basically they found Sony to hard with as far I remember, also SONY prefered to work with SQUARE, that they left
>>
File: untitled_2_107914.jpg (22 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
untitled_2_107914.jpg
22 KB, 640x360
>>343167238
EXTREME
>>
>>343155226
Good Xbox exclusive. This automatically kills any game because Sonyfags shit on anything not made for their glorious machine.
>>
>>343165827
>B)Sakaguchi has a huge hateboner for Sony, just like Swery and Itagaki.
Why is that?
>>
>>343167319
because sony loves western games
>>
File: 1435819550228.png (80 KB, 191x201) Image search: [Google]
1435819550228.png
80 KB, 191x201
>>343155226
>powerpoint slides exposition
dropped really hard 2 hours in
>>
>>343165615
Xbox had shitty marketing on japan it still microsoft's fault it's already too late for 360
>>
>>343168457
Sonyfags shits on everything hell wiiu has better jrpg games then them. They'll never admit that they been beta testing all along with the week trash
>>
>>343165907
i wonder what how gameplay be like
>>
>>343168587
Well memed my friends
>>
>>343167085
i remember the PS3 port of Bayonetta was trash
>>
>>343168635
>exposition
you don't know what that means. delet this
>>
File: 1395298868359.gif (3 MB, 580x328) Image search: [Google]
1395298868359.gif
3 MB, 580x328
>mfw researching Infinite Undiscovery
>Can set up different parties that do different routes/tasks while you control the main party
>mfw I already have a huge JRPG backlog
Why no more games do this shit, sounds fun
>>
>>343155226

It's worth it for the 1000 years of dreams alone.
>>
>>343167085
>some dev decided to release a better verison of their game on the ps3
Wasn't that NAMCO's dude in charge of Tales of games just having a hateboner for anything not Sony?
Heck I remember that it was also him cockblocking the west from getting Tales games just because he didn't like the idea
>>
>>343165615
I'm sorry anon. The Japanese are just that Xenophobic.
They don't want to touch any device that's made from a western company.
That's why Microsoft fails again and again there.
>>
>>343168892
it was mostly inexperience platinum's fault
>>
>>343168930
>delet this
sorry man, I don't enjoy stories being fed to me through lame powerpoint slideshows, I'd have prefered static text, but both are equally lazy for a game like this
combat looked interesting though, it just cracked me up every time one of those showed up
>>
>>343169216
look up what 'exposition' specifically means. not enjoying slideshows is fine, but they weren't exposition.
>>
>>343169117
Well the former CEO or President of namco wanted tales to go multiplat to get more audience before he step down and the CEO decided to make tales games exclusively on PlayStation so a few Japanese publisher or developer went multiplat like capcom and square-enix
>>
>>343169172
Let's not forget that it took YEARS for devs to get used to ps3 coding, it was hard as balls for them to get any kind of idea how to deal with the CELL without SONY's help

Up to this date I think only Kojima managed to make use of it effectively, though I didn't play any mayor AAA releases in the later days of the ps3 in, well, the ps3
>>
Some of you anons might disagree, but imo Microsoft contributed to the lacking state of japanese games and JRPGs. The audience wasn't on there to begin with. They hoarded the games onto their console which led to lost sales and a tarnished reputation for JRPGs, due to being placed on a console that wasn't known to cater for that audience.

Sony wasn't any better though. They fumbled PS3 launch. Which sent mixed signals to developers and skewed the expectations.

Lost Odyssey may have thrived if it had released on ther PS3. However, due to Sakaguchi's conflict with Kutaragi, and, that it did released on the 360, we'll never know.
>>
Main reason for its mild reception was being on 360.
Secondary reason was being overly ambitious, trying to do good in all aspects and not succeeding in all of them. People shat on the dreams too much even though they were beautifully written. But no, the gaming audience doesn't wanna read even if its in a goddamn rpg. If the dreams were actual flashback cutscenes with minimal control like walking/interacting they'd be singing a different tune. With the budget and space restraints they couldn't do good on everything, 4 cds weren't even enough and it still felt half-assed at points. I imagine they had a lot more stuff planned that just stayed on the drawing board.

Still my fav. jrpg of its gen. Fucking hell Sakaguchi stop fucking around with smartphone shit and make some good decisions on your platform choice for once. Last Story also suffered from this and you know it.
>>
File: 1447737925762.png (16 KB, 1067x97) Image search: [Google]
1447737925762.png
16 KB, 1067x97
>>343169456
>look up what 'exposition' specifically means.
fits right in
>>
>>343169525
>People shat on the dreams too much even though they were beautifully written
My only proble is that it sometimes interrupted stuff and they could be lenghty, but I really liked all of them
But yeah they could've at least made drawings for them like a manga
>>
I want to ply it but I don't want to by a XBOX for it, you know? I already have a ps3 and this is the only thing that makes me feel sad for not having a xbox

Making a game exclusive to the Xbox= we want the american audience, simple as that. I just don't understand how the devs refused to see this. Even underwhelming JRPG games like everything tri ace and usual NISA shit sold well wnough to make a profit when it releases on ps3, the market for this titles isn't in the xbox
>>
>>343168496

Apparently, something with Ken Kutaragi. He might be on better terms with Sony now, since Kutaragi has been excluded from involvement in Playstation these days.

He's an university professor now, I think.
>>
>>343169847
They did try to have the text be more interactive with various visual/sound effects. They already hired the vagabond manga artist so they could've had him draw some more stuff for the dreams I guess but who knows why they didn't, maybe chalk it up to low budget again.
>>
>>343169525
to be fair being on the PS3 really wouldn't have helped it either being that no one really owned a PS3 since it was fuck all expensive at the time
all the big JRPGs got released on the PS2 during that weird era
>>
>>343169523
Actually Lost Odyssey and blue dragon sold well in the West not a million seller every Japanese dev wanted but well this gen Japanese dev lower their expectations so that why they don't make such a fit about low sales
>>
>>343169753
The slideshows weren't exposition because they weren't essential information. They were flavour stuff. Exposition is for example, a character in Game of Thrones explaining how a siege works in detail to another character who would obviously understand how a siege works for the sake of the audience. Exposition is the delivery of information that the audience needs to understand what's happening. It sets the scene. The slide-shows weren't essential at all. Exposition is the stuff that pops in loading screen text boxes.
>>
>Resonance of Fate
>Lost Odyssey
>The Last Remnant
>Infinite Undiscovery
>Enchanted Arms
>Spectral Force 3
>Tales of Vesperia

PC release N E V E R
>>
>>343155364
>>343160218

Atleast you could finish if if you want to, my 4th disk was scratched, making it unreadable
>>
>>343167413

If it did not sell a million, or above, then Microsoft doesn't think its "well enough", Anon.
>>
>>343170073
And that's why if it was on PS3 it would've done better. People already knew of the names behind it at the time and always associated PS/Sony with Sakaguchi, platform loyalty is a hell of a drug. Plus 360 got no love in Japan and that fact still stands today with Xbone.

In the end we're just talking about "if it happened" though so who knows, you might be right. I just base my assumptions how I saw the 360 being received by gamers and how bare it was in the jrpg section.
>>
>>343170339
>>343170339
Not even PC, dunno who owns the IP's but I can see these being well receive on Nintendo home consoles

Anything but to let them be forgoten
>Vesperia
I'm surprised they haven't re-released this yet it's basically THE most popular tales game

Also anyone else's captcha being retarded and doing derpy things?
>>
>>343170457
Well this gen they have a different adittude since they can't always relie on halo, gears and Forza. K.I is popular in Japan their looking for IP to sell well
>>
>>343159950
New saga,bro
>>
File: 1466033724747.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
1466033724747.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1358
Mediocre as fuck.

They tried to make an old SNES game in 3D, with empty towns with 3 line NPCs.

Obsolete Combat.

Annoying Characters.

Linear as fuck.

+
>neat fantasy locales
>music
>some characters
>dreams
>topnotch design in general(monsters, machines, characters etc)

Fell upon the same spike as XIII did. Where you couldn't keep churning out the same linear/outdated games with Pretty Graphics because the rest of the industry caught up.

X is bad. But, just like VII's 3d graphics, its Voice Over and PS2 graphics it got a free pass.
>>
File: 1453856337382.jpg (41 KB, 496x444) Image search: [Google]
1453856337382.jpg
41 KB, 496x444
>>343170654
>I'm surprised they haven't re-released this yet it's basically THE most popular tales game
See what SE did with FF7? I bet you they're thinking something along those lines.
>>
>>343155226

It was so damn ez and I didnt grind once
>>
File: 1466235850609.gif (842 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1466235850609.gif
842 KB, 480x270
>>343170339
>1 good game
>1 medicore game
>2 interesting concepts
>bunch of garbage

You can keep it. Also with all the weeb shit invading steam, as the JPN studios desperately scramble for ez $ Vesperia's likely to show up soon.
>>
>>343170129
>They were flavour stuff.
Were they? It's been a long time, but I recall the slideshows were something related to MC past or something like that?
How's that not essential? I don't think them being completely optional turn them into "not essential" right away, I could play ignoring those 100% sure, but I think I'd be missing a lot when it comes to learning about the world and setting, correct?

I'll expand a bit more on the criticism, I don't really mind reading at all and I don't think the few I managed to sit through were that bad, but the whole thing felt waaaay out of place in a game like this, and the fading text and sfx didn't really help.
Seriously, every time one of those popped up I started giggling like an idiot because it reminded me of those powerpoint emails people used to send some years back with lame subject such as "love is wonderful!" or "friendship is the best!" and so.
And it irked me to no end, because the few fights I had were somewhat enjoyable, and the music also sounded great.
>>
>>343170848
Nah fuck that, we didn't even got the "complete" version I never replayed it because I told myself I would wait for it and never happened
>>
>>343165751
Jansen was bro-tier throughout the whole fucking game.
>>
>>343170948
Shit taste confirmed
>>
>>343168635
They were completely separate storywise from the main game you idiot.
>>
>>343155226
One of my favourite games from last gen and I'm generally a sonygger.

10x better than FFXIII, probably my fav JRPG along with Xenoblade from that gen.

Shame M$ are such faggots they're never gonna make a sequel.
>>
File: 1461036244853.jpg (135 KB, 736x550) Image search: [Google]
1461036244853.jpg
135 KB, 736x550
>>343170980
Waited like you anon but instead I waited for the translation for PS3. Funniest part was I was playing it on 360 and was almost endgame when the announcement for PS3 with all those extras literally bombed the internet. Stopped playing on the spot, I was mad alright. I'd say go ahead and get one with CFW, there's plenty other titles you might enjoy along with it.
>>
>>343169525
The Dreams were actually one of the main things critics liked about the game. It got 7-8/10s everywhere when (I'm trying not to fanboy here) it really deserved much higher for just how well designed and executed it is.
>>
>>343155226
It came on the xbox that's why.

I personally loved it because it kinda reminded me about old FF in a way. But to understand this more m8 its because at the time RPGs or JRPGs where seen as shit and one should have not been near it within teen feet because it could give you herpes.

So most people never played this gem, I dunno whom owns the IP but a hd remake would be cool.
>>
>>343169970
Do it anon. Get a cheap pre-owned Xbox, and you can find this game for very cheap now.
>>
>>343158391

Didnt Uematsu do the music to this game? I remember when this came out it was hyped with that too.
>>
File: 1449240522187.jpg (3 MB, 2304x4096) Image search: [Google]
1449240522187.jpg
3 MB, 2304x4096
>>343155626
That's the Chinese cover, it also came in a double sized box to properly hold the discs unlike the god awful US/EU boxes.
>>
The only real sin this game had was that noticeable difficulty spike around the ruins or something, and I remember quitting the game for almost a year beng stuck gainst some Tank bosses in Numara
>>
>>343155226
Because JRPG on the dudebro box. It was probably the best jrpg of that gen but only people who bought a 360 for its jrpgs during the jrpg drought ever played it
>>
>Dark Saint starts playing
that OST man
>>
File: 1461252336088.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
1461252336088.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2304
>>343171562
Here's the inside, it was also like the Chinese version of DeS in that it was fully English and region free so you could just import and play it.
>>
Is there anyway to play this on PC?

I sold my 360 years ago, and it's a hard decision to buy a console for one game.
>>
>>343171562
>>343171724
In Australia we got the big box. Came with the American cover art though.
>>
>180 posts
>No mention of Ming's tits

On the one hand I've happy /v/ is actually discussing video games, but on the other hand I'm disappointed in you for not enjoying the two best parts of the game.
>>
>lost odyssey is a good game

so

when was the last time you played it
>>
>>343171773
Lucky, the US and EU ones were notorious for causing damage to the discs, I had to bring my copy back twice because the 3rd or 4th disc wouldn't work. Eventually gave up and imported the Chinese version which has worked ever since.
>>
>>343171724
Could you show us the other discs?
>>
Isnt the Last Remnant on PC?
>>
File: 1451232202218.jpg (8 KB, 214x250) Image search: [Google]
1451232202218.jpg
8 KB, 214x250
>>343171891
Its been years. Brain's still in the process of forgetting it so I can enjoy it more when I replay it. Its hard to forget something you enjoyed so much.
>>
I don't play this game because I don't care about the actual plot but I go back and read the dreams on the wiki every year or so.

>The dying girl with the flowers
>>
>>343172131
Yes, it also fixed most of the problems of the xbox 360 version
>>
I really enjoyed this game until I got to the Living Ice boss and I didn't bother leveling up that Cooke kid and I got screwed
>>
File: 1441376164848.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1840) Image search: [Google]
1441376164848.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1840
>>343171950
Just wish they had a bit of colour like the old FF non platinum discs.
>>
>>343171819
There barely any porn of Lost Odyssey
>>
>>343155226
Two things held it back. Firstly it was an exclusive title which never got a wider release because it was before Microsoft started pushing windows and xboxes as complimentary systems.

Secondly, and more importantly, for all the good voice work and solid combat the central plot was pretty 'meh'. The characters broke the JRPG mould but the art style, setting and plot certainly didn't.

Combine those facts with the fact it was from a small studio and it came out a week before Final Fantasy XIII and it seems inevitable that Lost Odyssey would be passed over in favour of other JRPG offerings.

Speaking of Xbox JRPG exclusives does anyone else remember Infinite Undiscovery?
>>
>>343170339
Last Remnant has PC release though.
>>
>>343171819
those veins though
>>
ABYSMALLY ARCHAISTIC GAMEPLAY. Seriously, this shit is from late 80's. Also plot and characters is typical jrpg shit (with tits veins).
>>
>>343155226
Lost Odyssey was really fucking slow for a turn based rpg. Long attack animations + delay for user input, 5 characters, the wall system, spells taking multiple turns to cast and the fact that most random encounters took multiple turns. I mean just compare it to Blue Dragon (since it's the same dev) and you'll see just how much faster it is.

And also the game feels very directionless to boot most of the time. You're often just stumbling upon key plot points for absolutely no reason like finding Kaims wife who went missing years ago while exploring a haunted house or Gongora's sea base by complete coincidence. There's the daughter as well but I give that a pass because he wasn't actually looking for her. But man, what happened afterwards was stupid as hell, being told by a funeral director to go collect a bunch of sticks. The fuck? The guy's in mourning have some some respect and do it yourself.
>>
File: 1462443166419.jpg (39 KB, 452x495) Image search: [Google]
1462443166419.jpg
39 KB, 452x495
You xboxfags love to bring this up all the time.

Like we get it, shit didn't do well on a dudebro console.
>>
>there are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW who never beat the griffin boss
>>
Talking about the dreams, my favorite by far had to be elegy island
The story coupled with the beautiful choir music was quite an emotional trip
>>
File: mwah.gif (281 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
mwah.gif
281 KB, 160x160
>>343173363
>Like we get it
>OMIGOSH LIKE SO LAME, LIKE GET A LIFE, LIKE UGH
>>
>>343172394
Thanks, I think they look great.
>>
>>343155369
It actually sold really well
>>
>>343155226
wasn't a sony exclusive.
>>
>>343173929
lmfao
>>
>>343173160
it's ok when dragon quest does it.
>>
File: 1449426569653.jpg (24 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1449426569653.jpg
24 KB, 400x500
>>343174375
This. Holy hell this.

Also dungeon crawlers. Why do those get a free pass but this doesn't?
>>
>>343155369
I think you're talking about ps4 and ps3. Since they only buy cod and FIFA.

Nintendo and xbox are the only consoles that but games outside of cod and FIFA. Just look at the numbers.
>>
File: 1455028190437.jpg (32 KB, 326x329) Image search: [Google]
1455028190437.jpg
32 KB, 326x329
>>343174730
Fucking hell mouse, please point to the right post to quote. >>343174491
>>
>>343169523
>Sakaguchi's conflict with Kutaragi
please elaborate on that?
>>
>>343169525
i remember sakaguchi saying he prefers making smartphone games because it requires little team. i think his tired with big budget games which is kinda sad
>>
>>343168635
almost read that as "powerpoint slide explosions"
>>
>>343169980
funny those two got featured on mega64
>>
>>343171562
Bought that from Play Asia for €20. Works just fine on a PAL console with many European language option included even. That was nice of them.
>>
>>343175038
He said he wanted to make it big with Last Story, do a last attempt, hence the name. But then he changed platforms, from PS3 to Wii and that hurt this game so much. Downgraded graphics, less content, ONE FUCKING TOWN IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD that also serves as the main hub, small dungeons, even smaller side quests, 40hours at most to do everything.

For a world renown video game producer/director he sure fucked up in his decisions on where he should have his games.
>>
>>343171562
that's asian cover
>>
>>343155226

Sequel when? The IP is worth saving right? I wanna save Seth, goddamnit!
>>
>>343176724
Sequel of what? Seth in immortals world continuing the battle against Gomorah? Might as well be a different game like NIER was to Drakengard. Not sure if I'd like it, premise already sounds vain, people weren't fans of just those 2 characters or knew anything about the other world. NIER got a free pass because its our own earth and resulted in a post apocalyptic experience.
>>
>>343176724
Its Microsoft ip and since phantom dust is getting remastered probably blue dragon and Lost Odyssey is remastered
>>
File: 1460812768806.jpg (92 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1460812768806.jpg
92 KB, 500x447
>>343177127
>phantom dust
http://gamerant.com/why-cancel-phantom-dust-remake/

They fucked that up too.
>>
File: uematsu saka.jpg (87 KB, 768x236) Image search: [Google]
uematsu saka.jpg
87 KB, 768x236
So what is Sakaguchi and his Mistwalker studio making next?
>>
>>343155226
I don't know either. I think it might have something to do with bad use of Unreal Engine and game journos just being pretentious morons that thought that things would be different with 360, PS3 & Wii generation - that games somehow now was becoming accepted (guitar hero-wave, everyone buying a Wii etc) and "artsy" (better stories if you ask the game journos of that time).

I think it got bashed just because it represents the old ways of gaming and at that time, that wasn't very hip.
>>
>>343155369
I didn't buy it because game journos gave it low grades - not until later I picked it up and learned they were fucking wrong.
>>
>>343177597
More terra battle
>>
>>343177597
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/silicon-studio-mistwalker-announce-joint-development-new-title
>>
>>343177040

They could make a conflict, they could do pretty much anything, with the way they set it up. And yeah nobody gave a shit about Gomorah but I thought Seth was an interesting character worth exploring more. She really didn't get much attention, and her two flashbacks were great and showed a character we really didn't get to see during the game because Kaim's family and Jensen had all the screentime.

I just figured with the ending making everyone happy ever after but her we'd get a sequel in the immortal world or something.
>>
>>343178473
>we'd get a sequel in the immortal world or something

But that's exactly what I'm trying to say here. Its not a sequel if its not in the same world at least, its a spin-off at best. And considering we know next to nothing about the immortal world they'd have to pull off something a little below a miracle to sell it.

The way they set it up was for a closure, an actual ending. If you go and open it up again its gonna be like opening a grave. Ugly, smelly and a shitload of cleaning up to do.
>>
>>343174927
http://www.1up.com/news/hironobu-sakaguchi-doesn-ken-kutaragi

Aside from the source, Kutaragi was, allegdedly, deaf to input from studios regarding developing a simpler console architecture, especially after PS2 which was challenging for developers to begin with. The PS3 didn't make things easier. He was mainly interested in creating new tech, regardless of the cost. His attitude, potentially, cost Sony a signifcant loss.

Needless to say, it may have given him a perception of being arrogant among developers, at the time.

The PS4 is a complete u-turn from Sony's previous complex console archtectures.
>>
>Buy the game
>Play it like cruuuuazy
>CD4 dosnt work
>nice
>>
>>343180224
don't you mean DVD?
>>
>>343180224
or dvd whatever
>>
File: Skies.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Skies.jpg
182 KB, 1920x1080
Don't mind me, just posting a superior JRPG
>>
>>343181437
Too many random encounters, I dropped it because of that
>>
>>343181437
Not even in the same gen, let alone having the same premise.

I enjoyed both without trying to compare them like a little faggot. If you wanted to compare it you should've found a jrpg that fits the theme more like Grandia/Lunar/TiTS.
>>
File: 1465694534039.jpg (127 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1465694534039.jpg
127 KB, 717x960
I played this game at a very low point in my life.

> 22
> Living byself in tiny apartment and working manufacturing job 60 hours a week
> So tired physically and mentally all I could do was lay on mu couch/bed and play this
> Helped me escape reality and pretend to have friends

Only game on 360 I ever got all the acheetos on
>>
File: 1467047701655.png (128 KB, 237x218) Image search: [Google]
1467047701655.png
128 KB, 237x218
>>343185741
TOO CUTE
>>
>>343155226
>>Fantastically written visual novel sections
>>the lacklustre main story

There's your answer. Your pizza might taste alright, but if every ten bites you're served with a tiny bite of the most delicious, gourmet food possible, you're gonna be underwhelmed with the overall experience.
>>
>>343171819
I did a bit earlier
>>343160516

>>343171891
A few months ago.
>>
>>343171891
Last summer, was a damn good experience
>>
>>343172808
>A week
Try 2 years, mate.
>>
>>343173480
Mate there are people in this thread who got stuck on Living Ice because they were fucking garbage at managing their characters. And these are the same people who tell you to git gud. I'm convinced /v/ is fucking shithouse at video games in all honesty.
>>
>>343172957
Hey man tits that big are gonna get veins.
>>
File: 1377714956140s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1377714956140s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
Co-developer: feelplus

They got the right idea with that one
>>
>>343171819
Her outfit turned me on so hard
>>
>>343168801
sonynigger spotted
Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.