[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game actually good? I hear lots of polarizing discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 1467168622226.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467168622226.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is this game actually good? I hear lots of polarizing discussion
>>
The first 5 or so hours are 10/10 the best you'll ever get from a first person horror game but then it starts to drag.
>>
10/10 atmosphere and homage to the original movie.

Difficulty sort of peaks very early, though. I still recommend it.
>>
Well that depends OP, do you like walking simulators?
>>
holy fuck i just got this game and the part where that woman spots you and runs to get her friends is so fucking hard

i went to hide in that vent that led to a room with some loot in it, but then i was trapped in the vent because there were 3 fucking people patrolling the goddamn area and wouldn't leave the entrance of the vent
>>
It overstays it's welcome, but it is good.
>>
For the 20 bucks I payed for it, it was worth it. Wouldn't replay it but was fun when there was nothing else to play
>>
If you always hear polarizing discussion, why would you ask if it's good? Wouldn't you hear polarizing discussion?
>>
You'll rarely hear people say that a game is too long.

But this game is too long. It overstays its welcome by several hours. The third act is awful, but the first and parts of the second are pretty amazing.
>>
>>343145849
You'll love it if you're a fan of the first movie. The atmosphere and overall graphic design is AAA quality, which is rarely seen nowadays.

It's also enjoyable as a horror game, but the difficulty can peak very high.
>>
>>343145849
It really depends. If you like slow burning stealth horror games with incredible atmosphere and a retro future style, it'll probably be one of your favourite games. The game does drag on and if you aren't slightly technophobic you'll find parts of the game to be boring filler. In the end the game is fundamentally great for its sub-genre and probably the most faithful sequel in any medium to the original Alien movie.
>>
I really enjoyed it.

>It nails the alien aesthetic and atmosphere.
>It utilizes actual horror and vulnerability instead of ooga booga jumpscares (which there's only a handful of).
>It runs well on PC and looks nice.
>It's not absurdly shit & boring underneath the horror like Amnesia is.
>The sound design is OUTSTANDING. Dynamic range for days.

Some found it too long but I really didn't have a problem with it's length, probably because I play games in general in shorter bursts.
>>
Excellent. One of the best games released in recent years. Certainly my 2014 GOTY. Only real downside is some areas can be a bit tedious, especially on higher difficulties.

Other than that though, it's top notch. Looks gorgeous. Plays smooth as fuck. Solid gameplay. The alien is legitimately threatening. Interesting story.
>>
>>343146310
Yup, the difficulty spikes ruin the horror. It's like Siren: it's scary until you have to redo the same level like 5 times.
>>
Really good, definite recommend.
It's pretty hard even on regular difficulty, make sure to USE YOUR TOOLS. It makes the alien very scary. Use the flamethrower as much as you can, check your motion sensor OFTEN but remember the alien can hear the beeping
>>
>>343145849
yes, but absolutely get the unpredictable alien mod
>>
>>343145849
Any one who says it's bad is just being hysterical
>>
>>343146310
Hide in the doorway right at the top of the stairs they come down. It seems impossible that they can't see you, but they walk right past. You don't even need to turn off the air filtration. Then you only have to get past the one guy hanging around in the upper level lounge.
>>
>>343145849
Its aight. Thats it tho.
>>
has game breaking bugs that have never been patched

DO NOT BUY
>>
>>343148507
I hope you meant to say use the flamethrower as little as possible.
>>
>>343149059
Gamebreaking bugs?
>>
>>343149101
there are two major ones

rewire circuits not letting you exit or not showing them

and something else I forget

they wouldn't be so bad if it had a regular save system
>>
>>343145849
it's shit
>>
>>343149251
>rewire circuits not letting you exit
Oh shit, that bug? I've had that happen exactly once but it was frustrating as fuck. You mean it hasn't been patched out? Damn, dude.
>>
File: 1346804247150.jpg (23 KB, 243x319) Image search: [Google]
1346804247150.jpg
23 KB, 243x319
>>343146727
>Third act is awful

But that's the part where everything is blowing up
>>
i didn't get the flashbang blueprint at the beginning of the game

am i fucked?
>>
>>343145849
It's good for the majority of the first half, then it gets a little tedious for a few hours, but then it gets good again up until the end. That's how i felt personally.

I can't really pinpoint where exactly it gets bad/good without spoilers. It's a bit of a hide and seek/crouch walk simulator on hard, but it's definitely a good game overall. You don't have a lot to lose by playing it.
>>
It was amazing
>>
>>343149696
You can finish the game on hard without using gadgets. Only thing you need to be mindful of is picking up maps because they really make a difference.
>>
Pirated it. Tried it for like an hour or so and uninstalled. Maybe it's just that I'm accustomed to xenomorphs over the years I did not find it engaging otherwise.
>>
>>343149696
flashbang was kind of useless for me

I never really used anything other than molotovs, noisemakers, and emps
>>
File: 20160626054537_1.jpg (272 KB, 5760x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160626054537_1.jpg
272 KB, 5760x1080
>>343145849
It's SO good.

Is it normal to get a little aroused when the alien gets right up in your face?
>>
File: 1355051139677.jpg (107 KB, 367x550) Image search: [Google]
1355051139677.jpg
107 KB, 367x550
Sequel when?
>>
>>343152312
I never figured out how to make use of the smoke emitters. Were they only useful for running from humans, because they didn't really help me with that, either.
>>
major alien fan here, i still play ACM on steam and bought a old alien toy the other day...

i enjoyed the game but have some major criticisms. the game really is a helpless simulator, always handing you the short end of the stick. the aliens AI is annoying on all difficulties. its so blatantly tedious at times it takes the fun away.
>>
Amazing game.

My only complaint is that you can't pick up at any part after you beat the game. I often think about replaying this but the neverending/nervewracking medical bay is always where I say fuck it and walk away. I'd love to just pick up after the flashback segment every time because that's the best part of the game.
>>
File: smoking robot.jpg (347 KB, 1000x997) Image search: [Google]
smoking robot.jpg
347 KB, 1000x997
One of my favorite horror games.

Only complains: Crafting is rather pointless aside from 3 or so items, but being like "FUCK FUCK FUCK" trying to get that shit done on the spot adds a lot. Gets very action packed towards the end, but i guess it might have earned it. Also spoilers but the last cinematic is literally 2 seconds long, what the fuck I want resolution, where's my log recording?
>>
>>343153956
Start individual missions then.
Once you beat a part in the story you can chose that part again, but it overrides the save, so do it once you've beat the game.
>>
It's the most satisfying game I'm played this gen (take that for meaning what you will). I loved it regardless, they really nailed the retro futuristic look and tense atmosphere so absolutely recommend it. The best choice is the PC version but the PS4 version is alright too. Even the PS3 version is practically identical except for some frame rate drops during melee

>>343148830
underrated post

>>343146310
>>343148862
this is exactly right
>>
File: 1356903151065.png (19 KB, 558x400) Image search: [Google]
1356903151065.png
19 KB, 558x400
>>343145849

Good atmosphere makes for a great game at first, but you quickly realize how boring it is when the game throws tons of crafting parts at you which trivializes pretty much every section. I played on the hardest difficulty and I constantly had more than enough reagents to be topped up on distraction devices at all times.

And then the game hands you the flamethrower, which breaks any alien encounter and leaves you sleepwalking through the rest of the game. And the nail gun did the same thing for the synths.

They had something good but the devs just dropped the ball, hard.
>>
>>343145849
Yes, it is good

Authentic as fuck.
Ignore the neo /V/ hipsters
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.