[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's discuss achievements/trophies. Are they harmless or cancer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 1920x1080
Let's discuss achievements/trophies. Are they harmless or cancer?
>>
>>343135129
Complete and total cancer. They subconsciously make people pursue a pointless number instead of playing games for fun.
>>
>>343135545
>a-artificial fun!
>>
Depends on the achievements. If they're interesting goals that you otherwise wouldn't have tried to accomplish, then they can help lengthen a good game for diehard fans.

Too bad most of them are pointless bullshit you would have done in the course of the game, anyway.

>Achievement unlocked! Open a door!
>>
>>343135129
I'll play a game how I want to play a game.
>>
I understand going for achievements when there's some sort of actual reward in getting them (like in-game cosmetics, or finding an otherwise hidden secret or whatever). But achievement hunting for its own sake is autistic as fuck. Who even gives a shit when there's no real point to it? Wow you increased a meaningless number tied to your account, good for you.

Don't even get me started on the next-level autisimals who go out of their way and buy easy games to pad-out their gamerscore.
>>
>>343135545
I think they just attract a certain kind of people personally. I never cared about them when they came out and I still don't now unless there's a reward tied into them, and rewards tied into doing certain things in games existed before achievements.

Players like you described do exist but that's not the fault of the system. They'd exist without it. There's always that autist who brags about his completion rate or whatever other thing a game has. It does give them a more holistic sum of all their accomplishments and a pretty number to chase though.
>>
>>343135731
I find those useful in seeing how far most people got. It's shocking how small the number of people who finish games is.
>>
>>343135129
Complaining about them is pretty autistic desu.
>>
>achievement locked: get all achievements
>achievement locked: play with one of the developers online on feb 29th
>>
>>343136252
To be fair, some achievements are fucking stupid and just not worth getting, unless you mean finishing the main story or campaign to a game.
>>
I like ones that are for genuine achievements, like beating the game on the hardest difficulty or finishing a mission without taking damage. Ones for shit you have to so in order to finish the game are shit and need to go.

>You finished the tutorial!
>You found the secret behind the cuck conspiracy!
>You healed yourself!
Fuck that kind of shit.
>>
>>343135129
I don't see what the harm is. They're a fun way to set goals and increase replayability.
>>
No one has ever cared about another person's achievement points AND been over the age of 15.

Jesus Christ help you if you are over the age of 15 and care about meaningless points/trophies in any way other than a mild satisfaction from that part of your brain that rewards primitive junk.
>>
I do achievements when I'm bored and I want to try out a different method. Some games have really fun challenges set as achievements but most are goal oriented which sucks.
>>
I feel like they're kinda neat. Sometimes they give you a short term goal to work toward, like in TF2 where there are around 700, I think? The achievements that you have to actually work for are the ones that are the best. Not just "collect X, Kill Y, Blow Z". Those are are fucking shit. Just like "LOL Cumpleet chuptur wun"
>>
>>343137058

cheevos.com

this isn't a satire website
>>
>>343135129
If you ever play a game for the sake of getting an achievement, e.g. "I can get so many achievement points of I play a bit longer so I'll keep playing even though the game isn't very fun" then you're cancer and should not post on /v/ ever again.

If you see some goal listed in an achievement, think to yourself that would be a fun thing to do, and then end up getting the achievement, that's totally okay. As long as you're playing video games for the sake of vidya, and not for the sake of achievements, you're okay.
>>
>>343136749
>>
>>343137624
Thanks for letting me know you're upset because I'm right.
>>
>>343137464
That has to be teenagers and below. Who the fuck cares that you bought $400 in bad Arcade games to 1000g because they give the points away freely?
>>
When I'm playing Dark Souls and that ugly-ass notification and sound comes out I am taken way the fuck out of the game. Hate that shit.

I like them as easily readable markers of progression for the devs and sharing with friends but I hate the tedious bullshit they tend to make some of them require.

Going through every nook and cranny and grinding for achievements is a pain and waste of time.
People say it's good for replayabillity but I think it's just insulting to completionists.
>>
>>343138108
You can turn off notifications for achievements on all platforms.
>>
File: 1437914307572.jpg (147 KB, 857x746) Image search: [Google]
1437914307572.jpg
147 KB, 857x746
>>343137516
/thread
>>
>>343135129
Harmless, they only affect the weakminded.
>>
I don't care at all about achievements. I think people who consider themselves "completionists" and continue to grind for achievements past the point where it's still fun have some kind of mental illness.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.