[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last Remnant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: LastRemnant1.jpg (114 KB, 500x518) Image search: [Google]
LastRemnant1.jpg
114 KB, 500x518
I've been hearing things about this for multiple steam sales but never quite understood what the verdict on it was.

If I recall correctly, the game is bashed for throwing you into a complex and poorly explained battle system that given some effort is actually fun after you read the wiki full of information on it.

Did I catch that right, or is there more to it than that?
>>
>>343131020
All I know is that the working title was SaGa Frontier 3, but that alone gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect.
>>
If you think the battle system is the only problem with the game, you should do more research.
>>
More or less, yeah. The game has a lot of interesting ideas, but never quite fully realizes it's potential.
>>
File: 1467143888302.jpg (28 KB, 307x462) Image search: [Google]
1467143888302.jpg
28 KB, 307x462
>>343131434
>>343131705

Please explain
>>
File: Gates of Hell.png (357 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
Gates of Hell.png
357 KB, 500x396
Hardest game I've ever played.
>>
>>343131802
Not them, but what I found questionable about the game was the absurd amount of missable shit in game. some quest chains are only started at a certain point and can be locked out if you advance even a little bit plot wise, and you can wind up missing really good characters or really strong enemies to farm. T I didn't like combat wise was that stuff wasnt explained until AFTER you perform it like massive strike and that you don't have 100% control over your characters moves.
Game is pretty good though once you get to elysion it really opens up and there is a lot of content. Im about 50 hours in (5 of those spent on gates of hell) and on the bases which is about 60 percent through the main quest, and even consulting a guide once in a while I missed out on a lot of content
>>
>>343131020
wish more jrpgs had difficult complex battle systems like this.

story is reaching the point of been there done that.

can they focus on making game mechanics catered to higher level math.

only other jrpg in recent years that had an interesting combat system was Xenoblade X.

Every other jrpg has turned into DMC hack and slashes.
>>
>>343131802
The battle system is interesting, there's a large roster of recruitable NPC characters, I personally thought the art direction was good, learning new skills through usage, etc.

The game is really opaque as hell in everything which can be infuriating. That and there's a slight randomness to what orders you can give to each squad on a turn which can screw you over if you were counting on a particular order. And if you want to 100% everything including crafting prepare for the grind of your life.

>>343132347
To be fair almost all the missable sidequests happen because of the "disc 2" transition and IIRC the game warns you the sewers are a point of no return.
>>
File: 23310_20160406155032_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
23310_20160406155032_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
JUST
>>
Worst game I've ever played. Hands down. Even worse than Unlimited Saga. OP, give me the money you will pay for this game and I will give you all of my extra humble bundle codes
This is charity /v/
>>
>>343132838
your right, its just that I missed that town all the way in the west that is only accessible through an exit in the great dune sea and only discovered it after I beat jager and lob omen which meant I didn't get the quest chain that gets you the bunny protector of the town. on a side note, I usually hate deserts in video games, but I felt that the great dune sea was pretty great. I liked how a lot of large and dangerous enemies inhabited it, and the size of it was pretty great as it felt like an actual sea of sand, but it might of been nice if it didn't take as much time to reach the various exits. The music was also pretty gud.
>>
>>343131020
Extremely boring garbage. Japs can't into Rpg at all.
>>
File: last remnant.jpg (797 KB, 990x3130) Image search: [Google]
last remnant.jpg
797 KB, 990x3130
>>343131020
>>
>>343133613
Yeah the desert really felt huge, but on the other hand fuck having to scour it for those fucking towers for that one fucking quest without a guide.
>>
File: 1437607004176.jpg (22 KB, 329x274) Image search: [Google]
1437607004176.jpg
22 KB, 329x274
>>343133898
>the game is so hardcore that it has dual-audio pre-2010
>>
I love the game but it's pretty infuriating on a lot of levels.

RNG makes or breaks fights all the time. Some runs against a boss will see you trashed in a turn or two and others will go so smoothly you'll sit there wondering what the fuck was wrong with you those first 100 runs.

Enemies heavily scale with your unseen level, the closest indicator is Battle Rank which is still pretty inaccurate. There's a fuck ton of invisible stats in general that can turn a character from laughably weak to insanely overpowered in just a few fights.

You'll be sitting on the wiki more than you play the game if you want to enjoy the experience. LOTS of missable quests and good recruitable characters with barely any information as to how you miss it in-game. I've never had so much completionist PTSD as I had after rushing to the Aqueducts on my first playthrough and realizing I missed a vast majority of endgame content because of quest chains that got cancelled.

You have to be informed about almost every decision. Farming upgrade materials for your weapons can suddenly come to a halt if you don't pay attention to the upgrade tree and realize you're heading into a dead end and lock you out of top tier Weapon Arts unless you want to farm all the way back up the chain.

Game is fun though. Lots of variety, main character is a blank slate you can mold to your liking. Tons of content, tons of hard bosses, tons of weapons/characters/items/spells, etc....etc....

Grinding will fuck you though. You have to find the right balance between farming/leveling/grinding or you'll find common enemies reaming you soon enough from the level scaling.
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 218x231
>>343131827
And then they follow it up with the fucking fortresses.
>>
>>343131020
The PC version fixes most of the issues. Leveling can be pretty complicated, but the combat itself is really straightforward once you understand it and as long as you don't do anything stupid like grind with only 2 party members you'll never run into game breaking problems.

The game is still hard as fuck though.
>>
>>343131020
its tough. I played it through till very near the end, having done a shit ton of the extra shit (which i mostly enjoyed) yet knowing i had missed a load of stuff as well by tiny mis steps where i thought i had done everything. (this would normally make me just tell the game to fuck off or start again, but i was having too much fun to quit and i knew if i did i would never bother to finish it)

I ran out of time to play it near the end and just never bothered to come back to it, because i know how much fucking work it will be; this time I will NEED do everything, and i will waster hours and hours on this autism simulator.

I should add that almost everything that has been said about the game in this thread is true. Even the contradictory stuff.
>>
Game is great, the battle system isn't even hard to understand. /v/ hypes it up to be some legendary hard game but it's not if you've ever played a jrpg in your life before.
>>
I want to play this but the combat is bad and boring.
>>
>>343135210
People probably just get confused when they see that they can't just pick a heal spell or other shit from the menu but instead it's based on what you use most and what your characters have actually learned.
>>
>>343131020
Prepare for a crazy ride.

The game is unpolished, but the content that is there is really good and there is a LOT of it.

Almost nothing gameplay wise is explained to you, so it is normal to be confused. In an extreme scenario you may need to restart the game with the knowledge you gained on your last attempt.

If you can pick it up cheap it is well worth it - you can spend a lot of time with the game and there is a lot of things to manage and do.
>>
File: 1466049034650.jpg (58 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1466049034650.jpg
58 KB, 512x384
>>343133898

This sounds like an amazing sort of hell.
>>
>>343137021
It's just generic turn-based combat. Have you never played a turn-based RPG before?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.