[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes this game so great? I've never played it before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 640x909) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 640x909
What makes this game so great? I've never played it before but I feel like picking it up because of how praised it is. Is it really that good? Or is /v/ just being nostalgia fags?
>>
Shameless bump because I want to know
>>
It's that odd inbetween with Oblivion and Daggerfall. I'm enjoying it so far although magic is tremendously overpowered in this game.
Graphics are ASS and the land itself is not all that interesting to explore.
Combat is rather hit or miss (both figuratively and literally)
The quests however are the main highlight of the game. The dialogue and interactions within the quest are probably the height of all Elder Scrolls games ever gotten
>>
>>343085107
It must be partially nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Morrowind-fan. But I don't think that I could get back to it, if I hadn't played it since my childhood. Some of the gameplay mechanics and designes are just too archaic.

But what sucks me always in the atmosphere and world. It's just so unique and alien, but still feels very real because of all the world and depth it has. Someone else described it as that the world doesn't need you, the player, to be alive.

But maybe I'm also a huge hipster and contrarian who wants to feel superior to Skyrim-fags.
>>
>>343085107
>>343085582
Exploring the world is interesting.
Unlike Skyrim's world.
>>
>>343085107
it was great, but now is terribly dated.
it is still better than the last 2 ES games, but you probably wont get to get those feels because you didn't play it at the time and wont be able to appreciate it comparing it to the later games.
>>
>>343085107
The world is built by hand and just feels believable as fuck. There's a ton of interesting stuff just waiting for you to stumble upon. The lore is pretty cool and the whole story feels pretty epic. And in the good way, not the HURDUR SO LE EPIC way.
Gameplay is fine if you're used to it, but the learning curve can be a bit high initially.

I dunno, it just felt (and still feels, cause I'm replaying it now) like a proper grand adventure to me. Not some pre-planned list of setpieces your guided along like in Oblivion. I appreciate that lack of handholding.
>>
>>343085107
Too bad the best graphics mods for the game crash it half the time and make your computer shit itself and think it has a virus.
Fun game. If you don't stop playing after not being able to hit a rat after 20 swings I'm balmora, you'll probably stop after realizing anything takes forever because the walking speed is so damn slow. It takes forever before anything becomes fun to do. Quests are quite good though even with no voice acting or anything
>>
>>343085107
I actually just beat it legitimately for the first time about a month ago. It was pretty enjoyable, although I did slightly mod it (I had a Magicka regeneration mod and some small graphical improvements). The game is certainly dated in some respects, most notably the combat which is based on stats and invisible dice rolls (unlike later titles) and the NPCs, which outside of the main cast are little more than walking encyclopedias. That being said, there are parts of Morrowind that really shine through to this day, such as the lore and world building. The main quest is one of the better ones in the series and you really feel a part of a consistent world. A couple smaller things I liked were the greater variety in armor slots, and the journal system. A couple smaller things I wasn't so fond of were the difficulty of enchanting anything worthwhile without abusing alchemy, and FUCKING CLIFFRACERS.
>>
you can fly, jump like your a fucking super hero, and move so fast you either fall through the ground, pass through walls, or crash the game completely
>>
>>343085107
it has a good UI unlike the later titles
>>
File: realmorrowindcombat.webm (3 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
realmorrowindcombat.webm
3 MB, 1000x563
Worst "RPG" I ever played.
>>
>>343088343
just as terrible as any TES game
>>
>>343088210
One big thing that was missed from the later games is feeling like you've attained godlike powers once you were sufficiently strong enough. Thanks to the removal of many spells and because of level scaling, you never feel all that powerful in the late game of Oblivion/Skyrim
>>
>>343085107
>Is it really that good? Or is /v/ just being nostalgia fags?
Both
>>
>>343085107
Story was an interesting spin on the chosen one bullshit. Yes you are the chosen one, but you are merely the latest in a long line of "chosen ones" before you who all failed. Destiny is an open door, you're the one who has to walk through it.
>>
>>343085107
No, it really was great... just might not look as pretty as it used to and might seem lacking in some more modern features.
>>
>>343088451
If you want to argue Morrowind is the best TES game, fine, you have can make a good argument to support that claim.

But don't pretend like the combat in TES hasn't done anything but improved since Morrowind.
>>
File: OpenMW.jpg (9 KB, 368x137) Image search: [Google]
OpenMW.jpg
9 KB, 368x137
>>343085107
Soon
>>
>>343085782
>The quests however are the main highlight of the game
Really? Not OP, but I've played Morrowind for like 20 hours and none of the quests were particularly interesting. Hell, it's why I still can't get into it.
>>
File: tumblr_mous9aOVuI1rw4yoxo1_1280.jpg (570 KB, 1280x939) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mous9aOVuI1rw4yoxo1_1280.jpg
570 KB, 1280x939
>>343085107
The atmosphere and It's lore
>>
>>343089472
It's virtually identical. It's easy to get over some RNG hits--you still play the games the exact same way by spamming left-clicks, WASDing out of attacks. Sure they obviously improved the feel of hits, but it's nothing noteworthy especially when the gameplay is further butchered by the increased usage of level scaling.
And don't pretend that Skyrim didn't ruin magic.
>>
>>343089913
Michael Kirkbride smoked way too much weed and we're all better for it.
>>
>>343089887
I don't know what it was about Morrowind, but the gameplay and the setting derived from the quests immersed me a lot more than even Oblivion (which is praised among the series for its quests).
I went and played Morrowind after beating Oblivion and Skyrim.
>>
>>343090016
>It's virtually identical.
No.

>And don't pretend that Skyrim didn't ruin magic.
Skyrim (wrongly) made magic a fair and balanced form of combat. Instead of, you know, making magic feel magical by being OP as shit, like in it's predecessors.
>>
>>343090412
What Skyrim should have done is instead of nerfing magic, add abilities that can make martial classes just as OP. Call them "techniques" or whatever. Hell, they could've worked it in with the dragon shouts.
>>
>>343090016
magic was a lot better in Oblivion because it let you wield any weapon and just use another button (C) for a spell
>>
>>343090674
Nah, then the game would be too easy. Oblivion and Morrowind magic was game breakingly OP. At least magic had the excuse of being magic. If everything else was that OP, the game would be stupid easy.
>>
File: 1543285832.gif (2 MB, 381x434) Image search: [Google]
1543285832.gif
2 MB, 381x434
>>343088343
Good to see you're on time, baitman
>>
>>343090784
So is oblivion the best one? It's staring to sound like it
>>
>>343092486
they all have their strengths
Morrowind - setting/lore exploration
Oblivion - quests
Skyrim - lewd mods
Though every game has shite mainquest that you should ignore but that's expected from Bethesda (maybe Morrowind's was okay--especially the first half). Oblivion's mainquest especially is so fucking intrusive on the player's natural exploration, and is a boring part of the gameplay.
>>
>>343090246
>>343085782
The quests weren't good in and of themselves, but they forced you to explore the world, which is great.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.