[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Sonic games should one play, and which should one avoid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
Which Sonic games should one play, and which should one avoid?
What is the best means to play each if one only has a PC?
>>
>>343079778
Let me give you a list of sonic games that are worth playing
>sonic 1-3&K (including CD)
I'm pretty sure these games are on some collection that you can buy on steam, If not you can always emulate them for free
>Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Both have releases on PC. I'm telling you right now though, DO NOT buy any steam version of SA1. Get the disk version (which is available on your favorite torrent site for download)
>Sonic Generations
Great game and has a good PC port. Also has mods that, among other things, port the unleashed levels to Generations. (if you're interested in them)
There are other good sonic games out there but start with those.
>>
>>343079778
Get generations, that's the most decent one out there, then try SA2

Btw, there's a new sonic game coming out soon
>>
>>343080473
Let me add something that most people seem to forget about the sonic series (at least the 2d games)
Sonic is very different than any other mascot series in the sense that it's actually pretty difficult to master the mechanics and the stages.
I just wanted to say this for anyone in the thread who's considering getting into the Sonic series, because the Sonic series is something you actually have to get into. It's not just a simple platformer.
Some people have a bad time because they do nothing but run into walls and enemies, and don't know how to gain and keep momentum.
>>
File: 1464704444513s.jpg (4 KB, 124x115) Image search: [Google]
1464704444513s.jpg
4 KB, 124x115
>>343079778
2, CD, 3&K, Advance 1, Advance 3, Battle (Not to be confused with Adventure 2 Battle), Adventure, Adventure 2, Generations.

After those, jump into the wonderful world of ROM hacks and fangames. You've got Before the Sequel, After the Sequel, Megamix, XeRO, 2 Heroes, RoboBlast 2, Green Hill Paradise and plenty more.

>>343080962
Well said. Don't let today's e-celeb memery and their "GOTTA GO FAST LOL" trick you into thinking that you need to be moving fast at all times. If you Spin Dash blindly to the right without considering your options, you'll be punished for it.
Sonic is about gaining momentum and then holding onto it for as long as you can. The more skilled you get, the longer you can go without stopping.
>>
>>343079778
>Which Sonic games should one play, and which should one avoid?
>emulate the classic trilogy and CD
>emulate the advance trilogy
>emulate the two rush games
>emulate Sonic Colors
>play Sonic Generations
>play the Unleashed mod for Generations

Stick to this and you should have a pretty decent Sonic experience. Other games like the Adventure series, Unleashed in its entirety, Heroes, Battle, etc. should really only be played if you're curious or if you have already played the above
>>
File: 1391625990511.jpg (51 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1391625990511.jpg
51 KB, 604x453
>>343082143
>tfw Classic Sonic Heroes will never have the Sonic 3 stages
>>
>>343079778
Sonic 1, 2, CD, and 3&K. Don't play any 3D game, because they're all extremely indecisive, even the ones usually considered to be an 8/10 or a 9/10.
>>
>>343080473
>DO NOT buy any steam version of SA1.
explain
>>
>>343080473
can confirm that as an old school sonic player and hating the 3d games, I bought sonic generations and was actually surprised how good it is.
>>
>>343080962
>it's actually pretty difficult to master the mechanics and the stages.
Only if you're a speed runer.
I was able to play Sonic 2 at the age of five with no issues. Even in getting all the chaos emeralds. Granted I didn't get them all until mystic cave zone when I was that age but the series is very easy to get into an dplay
>>
>>343079778
Poor Sonic. He's been treated so unfairly. And unfortunately he's a relic of the 90s 'tude and behind by the times.
>>
>>343082760
He means that every single version of SA1 that's not the Dreamcast release is fucking atrocious. If the ports were on the same level as the original, I'm sure the game wouldn't be considered to be shit nowadays.
>>
>>343079778
Well i'm suspicious to say since i like a lot of the games, including Shadow The Hedgehog, but you should at least play the main stuff from all the eras
Meaning Sonic 1~3, Adventure 1-2 and Colors-Generations
From there you can branch out
>>
File: AKU! where.png (148 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
AKU! where.png
148 KB, 247x247
>>343082760
If you ever see anyone say SA1 is an unplayable piece of shit, you have now found a Game Grumps fan who will swear the original game was as bad as that bad port of a port.

Dreamcast and Gamecube versions wouldn't glitch you out through a floor or up a loop more than maybe twice in a full playthrough.
>>
>play
Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Adventure 1 (Dreamcast)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast or Gamecube)
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations

>avoid
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic Shuffle
Shadow the hedgehog
Sonic 06
Sonic Boom
Sonic Lost World

Everything else is basically divisive games or cult classics in the sonic community.

The biggest ones are Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Spinball and Sonic R.

I am in the camp of Sonic Unleashed being something you should play and Sonic Heroes something you should avoid but this my opinion.
>>
>>343083185
But the gamecube release other than worse water was just fine
>>
Try Advance 2 as well (fuck the memers) as well as Rush, Rush Adventure, and Colors
>>
File: revealed NSFW nipples.jpg (42 KB, 544x617) Image search: [Google]
revealed NSFW nipples.jpg
42 KB, 544x617
>>343083470
>Shadow the hedgehog in avoid
No, everyone should actually play that one at least for one level because it's so fucking hilarious how serious they were with the game's premise.
>>
File: Remember.jpg (52 KB, 500x564) Image search: [Google]
Remember.jpg
52 KB, 500x564
>>343083529
Sonic Advance 2 had terrible, horizontal levels, but some of the best bosses there is.

We need more running 2D bosses.
>>
>>343083694

Nah man, it's 2016 just check a youtube play through of it instead of torturing yourself. Same with Sonic 06 to be honest.
>>
>>343084286
Shadow The Hedgehog is serviceable and deserves a chance for anyone who liked Heroes somewhat
>>
sonic rush is the best sonic game prove me wrong protip you can't
>>
>>343084286
Shadow the hedgehog doesn't play badly though. It has the same physics problems heroes had, but it's hardly an unplayable glitch fest.
>>
>>343083694
I actually enjoyed shadow the hedgehog a lot.
>>
>>343083694
Shadow the hedgehog did have some interesting ideas atleast. Love that it had multiple endings
>>
>>343084567
*proves you wrong*
>>
>>343084567
>>343085016
rekt
>>
>>343084567
It's not Sonic Adventure 2 so you're wrong because Rush isn't Adventure 2
>>
Can you motherfuckers imagine how cool Shadow The Hedgehog would be if the straffing button were instead a lockon button, missions only required 90% done to be completed, and each stage had 3 cutscenes to take into account the path taken? Fuck
>>
>>343085276
>there are over 200 video combinations you could get
>shadow had them all named and allowed you to view them
Man such a shame alot of work went into this game
>>
>>343085423
>tfw got over 80 of them
Some of those names are hilarious, you can't ironically make something named "Seduced by the taste of blood"
>>
File: shadow at his happiest.jpg (418 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
shadow at his happiest.jpg
418 KB, 1536x2048
>>343085564
>>343085423
>just looked it up
>it's really 322
Fuck man http://info.sonicretro.org/List_of_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Library_sequences
>>
>>343085276
It'd still be pretty annoying without being able to resume the plot from any point in the tree.

And without the game considering all same bosses at the end of paths completed at the same time (if you fight Sonic an the GUN general in the GUN HQ, there's no point fighting them in the Black Comet as well).
>>
>>343085789
>322
Shadow is throwing a pro dota game?
>>343085564
>I got over 80
What the fuck? And this is coming from a retard who got all A ranks (I had a map for the cyber levels and still took 10 minutes)
>>
>>343086031
I'm small fish, i've met 2 anons on the same thread once who completed all 322 paths
The idea was to record a playthrough of all of them because i was bored as FUCK but my PC died and i lost the data
>>
fuck sonic
>>
>>343082760
It's a port of a port of a port and with each port it got more and more glitchy.
>>
>>343082760
>>
>>343079778

you probably shouldn't play any of them

Sonic in 2D isn't very fun, and Sonic in 3D is always a mess that's novel for 5 minutes but ranges from boring to frustrating for any longer.
>>
>>343087872
>le sonic was never good meme
>>
Play 1-3&K. See if you can get the Android/iOS versions of 1 & 2, as those are actually the best versions of the games. Get Sonic CD on Steam. Emulate 3&K or get Sonic 3 Complete.

Try out the Adventure games.

Play Generations and afterwards download the Unleashed Project mod.

If you are interested in more after that, torrent or emulate Sonic Heroes, emulate Sonic Colors.
>>
File: sonic cd gif.gif (568 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
sonic cd gif.gif
568 KB, 245x245
>>343079778
You can play almost all of them through emulators and PC releases. The only exceptions are probably Unleashed HD, the 3DS games and Sonic 06.

And you should play even 06, because it is noteworthy in a bad way.
>>
>>343089281

>And you should play even 06, because it is noteworthy in a bad way.
Sonic 06 is only worth it if you can play it on 360 and pay under $5.
>>
>>343083364
The steam version, Dreamcast collection version (which is on steam as well), and the 2003 disk version are all PC ports. The disk version is the only one that is remotely good and it's the only one compatible with most mods.
>>343083017
You're right, I should've been more specific.
It's easy enough to beat (because of sheilds/rings/etc) but most people who play the game for the first time try to play it like mario and have a bad time as a result.
>>
>>343090686
meant to respond to: >>343082760
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.