[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was the Skate series so superior to Tony Hawks games? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 349x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 349x500
Why was the Skate series so superior to Tony Hawks games? How did they do it?
>>
They went for a more realistic approach.
>>
Apples and oranges.
>>
File: 1466257021258.png (331 KB, 506x600) Image search: [Google]
1466257021258.png
331 KB, 506x600
they aren't activision
>>
>>343077661
>comparing skateboard games
>"t-they're different!!"
go call your gf, im sure she's being fucked by another guy right now
>>
They realized the arcade style of the Tony Hawk games was incredibility stale so they took it in a more realistic style. And they pulled it off perfectly.
>>
>>343077807
whats with the obsession with cheating on other people
>>
GOAT, still waiting impatiently as fuck for that shit to be on Xbox One.

C'mon, remaster that shit already or something.

So fucking great, would pre-roll a 4 pack of kings and smoke all evening skating.
>>
Tony hawk wasn't an actual skating game. It was a funny action game with skateboards.

It's why it got reskinned as several other games and it didn't really matter

>dave mirra freestyle bmx
>matt hoffman(rip) pro bmx
>Aggressive Inline(this was the best)
>Razor Freestyle Scooter(this was also the best)

Meanwhile Skate was trying to simulate actual skateboarding, it succeeded for the most part by the 2nd one

No game had captured the feeling of trying the same spot for 2 hours
>>
>>343077948
You should ask your mom.
>>
>>343077313
Could get lost in these games for hours, obsessing over 1 spot/line.

Skate 4 would be great tbqh fambalamb
>>
>>343077807
They are different, amnd no amount of shitpostin will ever change that.
>>
>>343078027
you know dave mirra was the one that died, not matt hoffman, right?
>>
>>343078027
Dave Mirra was the one that died.
>>
>>343078027
>literally running the same line for 3 hours trying to do a trick set perfectly.

Dat community center, with the two low platforms, I'd always try and nose manny and half cab the cap into a regular manny or vice versa
>>
I would kill for a Skate style of gameplay with BMX bikes.
>>
>>343078170
>>343078185
that's embarrassing, I just woke up forgive me
>>
Is the one of the few things EA did right?
>>
File: Promotions for the goburin.jpg (158 KB, 712x569) Image search: [Google]
Promotions for the goburin.jpg
158 KB, 712x569
It had a more laid back nature to it. You could go to a job marker and find yourself getting distracted, going off doing lines.
Also there was more room to fuck up.
>tfw you nail a section and continue experimenting with it.
>>
>>343077661
>you can't compare two things
That's the entire point of comparisons.
>>
>tfw you play so much Skate the game isn't a challenge anymore and you can do lines like Tony Hawk games

I wish I could forget how to play.
>>
Any of you ever played Skate for a long time, then tried to play a Tony Hawk game?

I felt literally retarded, like you'd hold the push button, and he'd just start rolling foward really fast without pushing or anything. And you could ollie when the dude was pushing with no consequence or anything.

It feels weird to ollie, be in the air, and then trigger the kickflip, as opposed to getting ready to pop it, and kicking the stick off to the side to perform the kickflip seemlessly.
>>
File: 1379743616531.jpg (18 KB, 244x320) Image search: [Google]
1379743616531.jpg
18 KB, 244x320
>tfw there will never be a Jet Set Radio game with Skate's engine
>>
>>343079683
I know this feel. It took me a good while to get comfortable with Underground after playing Skate for so long.
>>
>>343077958
I can't wait either. I wonder if they are running into problems with backwards compatibility, I remember they had to get a very specific feedback frequency from the controller to make it accurately read inputs or something.
>>
>>343078081
Don't push me I'm close to the edge
>>
File: skate1_large.jpg (234 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
skate1_large.jpg
234 KB, 1280x720
MOMMY'S ALRIGHT
DADDY'S ALRIGHT
THEY JUST SEEM A LITTLE WEIRD
>>
Thrasher Skate and Destroy did it long ago before skate. It was just too far ahead of its time. Had the same type of move controls and everything.

It all boils down to realism.

THPS is still fun for that crazy yet slightly grounded experience. Shame they burned the Neversoft team out on Guitar Hero and they all left or got cut.
>>
>>343078027
>>Razor Freestyle Scooter(this was also the best)
nigga wat
>>
They're both just as fun
>>
>>343078629

>make Skate
>successful as fuck
>make Skate 2
>successful as fuck
>rush Skate 3 while adding fucking nothing new or interesting
>doesn't sell a trabajillion
copies
>EA guts the studio, parks the franchise, and calls it a failure

EA is the epitome of blind fucking greed.
>>
>>343081475
This is false
>>
>>343081649
>rush Skate 3 while adding fucking nothing new or interesting
New tricks, difficulty modes, and create a park isn't interesting? Only thing that really felt rushed in 3 was the the TERRIBLE world map.
>>
skate sucks

clunky as fuck and isn't nearly as fun as tony hawk 1-4
>>
>>343081869
(You)
>>
>>343077958

EA doesn't remaster shit unless they somehow know it'll sell an unrealistic amount of copies and reach a ridiculously clownish sales margin.
>>
THPS2 and THUG1 are still my 2 favorite THPS games.

That being said, Skate 2 was an excellent skate simulator.
>>
>>343081260

I bought Thrasher for 5 bucks at a pawn shop.

Game was fucking great. Had some wonky physics that made achieving certain things tricky, but once you mastered it all, it was very rewarding.

Used to piss off all my friends in challenge mode as Omar because they could barely do shit while I'm dropping 20k combos on their heads.
>>
>>343081260

Thrasher had an amazing soundtrack. Tons of 90s funk hiphop.
>>
fucking shit I miss this games so much

2 specifically, 1 was mindblowing at the time but 2 blew it out of the water. Neve cared for 3, played the demo years ago and it just felt different, and Im still sad online for 2 is fucking dead.

God fucking damn I would take a huge nigger dick in the ass for a hd compilation or anything fuck you op now im a little mad now
>>
>>343081076
SURRENDER SURRENDER
>>
>>343077313
>be 90's skater
>everyone I hang with is big into tony hawk
>pic related comes out
>blows our mind because somewhat closer to realism than the hawk series
>always hoped that someday a company would make a true realism skate again
>skate released
I almost cried. It was the skateboard game I always wanted. fuck that nigga hawk for making us think his game was the shit.
>>
hey guys don't forget to buy my game

DO IT
>>
2>1>3
>>
File: 2ey29IU.jpg (934 KB, 2390x4250) Image search: [Google]
2ey29IU.jpg
934 KB, 2390x4250
>>343083015

That game, put a lot of hours into it. There were so many frustrating things about it though.

>having to run away from security at the end of every level
>learning to combo grinds literally breaks the game and makes every level a joke
>Only having one song playing per level, and having to quit to change it
>One push = geriatric turtle. Two pushes = jet engine

That last level though, is one of the best skateparks in any skating game. Great game overall.
>>
File: longboard.jpg (77 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
longboard.jpg
77 KB, 500x400
>2016
>skateboarding

Nice try grandpas. Longboarding is cool now.
>>
It's a fucking joke nobody has made a good snowboard or skateboard game this gen
>>
>>343083367
Ehh. I would mostly agree. Only thing that drove me crazy was the stupid fish eye lense on the screen in skate 2
>>
>>343083367
I hated 2 man, the camera was stuck at far back, the city was a silly mess of obvious skate obstacles, and the sim mode wasn't as good.

Maybe I was too hard on it, I'll try and get another copy and try it out.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.