[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your preferred "maximum possible number" in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: trillion hp.png (2 MB, 1281x680) Image search: [Google]
trillion hp.png
2 MB, 1281x680
What is your preferred "maximum possible number" in a game? RPGs specifically.
999? 9999? 99999? 666?

I personally prefer 9999HP for final boss health and 999DMG for strongest attack in the game.
Although sometimes it's nice to go full retard and play something like Disgaea which has LITERALLY trillions as viable HP/ATK numbers.

Please discuss.
>>
>>343058048
no limits
>>
>>343058048
99 for level
Infinite money
9999 damage
>>
>>343058130
only correct answer. i want to be rewarded for micromanaging my skills and inventory. its boring if i hit a wall at some point.
>>
>>343058048
please seek counseling
>>
I don't care lel I'm not an autist
>>
>>343058048
Final Boss health should scale to your level
>>
>>343058048
>>
>>343058330
do you think it should get progressively more difficult though the further you go?
>>
>>343058048
Christ I don't know how you manage this with more than one character.
I spent some time grinding stats with Killia and he can barely stand in the carnage dimension, let alone having a decent group/
>>
I like it when levels stop around 100.

Basically just cap everything at nice, even multiples of 10.
>>
50 for stats.
1000 for life/mana/armor/damage.
100% for elemental resistance / crit chance and other shit like that.
infinite money.
Max level 50 or 100, depending on length and content of game.
>>
>>343058526
yes, but not linked to my parties power.
>>
I enjoy BIG NUMBERS as much as the next guy but I prefer really small ones for games, waay better balance
10 max level
9 max health
3 max attack
>>
>>343058048
99 level cap.
9999 damage cap.
999999 money cap
But it shouldn't matter because ideally - for me at least - you shouldn't get all that close to the cap.
>>
>>343059215
Low numbers are pretty boring for an RPG though.
Lets say you and enemies can have up to 10hp max, that means you can only have values between 0 and 10 for damage. Those numbers are too limiting.
>>
>>343059662
not if you have several layers of defensive stats that all max out at 10
>>
>>343059881
Same shit. Damage being dealt will still range from 0 to 10.
>>
>>343059662
Well somehow PnP role-playing game, you know real RPGs, manage just fine. Good mechanic are significantly less boring than shitty JRPG with a lot of big numbers on screen
>>
>>343058048
I just started playing Disgaea 5. Are those realistic numbers or is this hacked/bugged?

Also, assuming I get decent at grinding, how long would it take to get to level cap?
>>
>>343059991
no, you see: from the damage dealt defense is subtracted. then, later in the game, fortitude is introduced with is subtracted from that and so on.

you have to go higher and higher in damage to keep up.
>>
None. Probably because I don't play weebtrash where the only challenge is how long you can sit through the baby tier, repetitive combat, grinding away just to watch your stats inflate to ridiculous levels.
>>
>>343060105
Kinda realistic.
I dunno if you need to get your stats up that high but it's entirely possible
>>
>>343060002
I'm just saying that having low numbers is limiting. Tabletop games have to have low numbers because you'll have to manually calculate all that shit; which is why the numbers are kept simple. Games on the other hand do those calculations automatically.
>>
>>343058048

I don't have a strong opinion on the subject but I don't like it when you get high damage numbers at the very start of an RPG. I want to start with very low numbers and slowly climb to god-like damage.
>>
>>343060115
It still doesn't matter. End game, the possible values for damage, not the attack stat, will be limited to 0 to 10.
>>
>>343058048
I like there to be a lvl 99 cap with all stats capped at 100 and damage capped at 9999.Then you kill a secret boss, that only appears during a small time frame 3/4 through the game and is a lot harder than the final boss, to unlock limit break. Allowing you to grind to your hearts content
>>
65535 at least. If you have a limit on something that's basically meant to be infinite it damn well better at least be 32768.

In computerfag speak, if you're not using at least 2-byte numbers for everything except maybe inventory space you can fuck right off. It's current year etc.
>>
>>343060105
>how long would it take to get to level cap?
technically you can get from 1 to 9999 lvl in one attack assuming you have right items.

Don't worry about grind and optimization, just play the game - experiment with mechanics, explore.
after beating story and some post game - then you can start thinking about grinding.
>>
>>343060218
>Tabletop games have to have low numbers because you'll have to manually calculate all that shit
They could had a bunch of 0s and would be equally easy to calculate , they have low numbers because they are well designed
>>
>>
Fucking Ys 1, that bat boss on nightmare
>>
>>343060407

You still need to make sure you have enough headroom to test for overflow, otherwise you can have serious game-breaking bugs.

On modern system you'd almost always use at least 32bit numbers for that stuff anyway, even FFVII did it back on the playstation. No reason not to, it would be slower to use 16 or 8 bit arithmetics and you wouldn't save a significant amount of RAM.
>>
>>343060618
Bat boss and Dark Fact are shit.
>>
>>343060447
What is the end game goal? Before buying it, I assumed you just played through the story mode over and over at harder difficulties. But I've seen some stuff online about the"end game." Are there particular goals for the end game after beating the story mode?
>>
>>343060698

I should add that even though FFVII used 32bit numbers for damage calculation they still managed to have overflow issues with the most powerful attacks: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_overflow_glitch_in_Final_Fantasy_VII
>>
File: so2.jpg (106 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
so2.jpg
106 KB, 640x480
>>343058048
>>
>>343059662
>Low numbers are pretty boring for an RPG though.
It worked for Paper Mario.
>>
>>343060737
I yet to play Disgaea 5, but they usually follow same formula, especially starting with 3.
First of all - Disgaea games doesn't have difficulty setting, you can just make monsters harder or weaker at any point of the game, default is the weakest.
After beating the story - you continue playing, dunno about 5, but usually there are few sidestories which unlock after beating game (you also tossed to hub area after beating). They are way harder. Also various other challenges with slight bit of character interactions here and there.
And most powerful enemy in every Disgaea game - Baal. From OP pic. I yet to reach that, you better off creating Disgaea thread for more info.
There is also purpose of playing story mode again, cause usually there are more endings to game depending on how you beat it. tho it became less of a thing in Disgaea 4 (again, no clue about D5, but after beating the game you usually can see amount of endings via NPC which provides game records)

So yeah, technically end goal of every disgaea game is beating Baal - to 100% the game. And completing other side stories + unlocking all characters, completing alternative missions, etc, etc.
Honestly, just play thru the game, you'll see it yourself.
>>
>>343060791
>Geese Kenni

Rename fags get out.
>>
>damage caps at 9999

>magic becomes worthless because each spell has a minute long cutscene, meanwhile your melee characters can hit 10-20 times for 9999 each within a single second
>>
>>343061581
Cool, thanks for the info.
>>
File: 04_Prinny_Mask's_Cut-in.jpg (36 KB, 129x520) Image search: [Google]
04_Prinny_Mask's_Cut-in.jpg
36 KB, 129x520
>>343062020
no prob
If you start dipping into post game content, grinding, etc - you'll just be overloaded with info.
Take it slow.
There is a lot of game to play.
>>
>>343058048
>>
Preferably no limit at all.

If that is impossible, at least to the limits of the hardware: 255, 65535, 4294967295, etc.
>>
999 for health.
100 for stats.

Oh look, Persona's layout.
>>
>those stats

what game is this so I know to never play it
>>
>>343065518
pussy
>>
>>343065871
i bet the game is easy as hell to cheese
>>
Low base stats, high stat modifiers from traits. Lots of binary and incomparable attributes. Statflation is pretty boring when the difference between early and late game is more zeroes on the end, but having a bunch of conditional modifiers brings out roles and lateral thinking.
>>
>>343066047
whole fun of it is figuring out how to exploit game mechanics in your advantage in most optimal way
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.