[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apparently we have reached a technological bottleneck. The way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19
File: das.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
das.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Apparently we have reached a technological bottleneck.
The way games look today will only marginally improve over the years.
At the current moment its impossible t make processors faster then they already are.
In fact only way it seams this is possible is to just put more in to a single machine.
But this makes them more expensive and consume way more power.

In fact the only way to make games look and run better would be to literally have multiple computers working on a single game.
So its actually possible one day you will have a Motherboard that supports multiple Multi core CPUs.
We already have Sli and crossfire technology which is essentially Tiny computers dedicated to graphics working together on a single goal.
And whats funny it actually doesn't make games run at 2X the Speed which makes this choice not exactly economical.

So are we currently at the limit of how good games can look wo forcing Sli and multiple CPUs.
>>
>>343057939
ok I ain't read all that but hear me out

for a game to look better it will not only require more tech, it'll also require more man-hours, feel me? either you need the most amazing procedural algorithm or you need to make a small world or you need to be AAA+ and will probably still lose money
>>
>>343057939
>The way games look today will only marginally improve over the years.
2 lines in and you are already wrong.
>>
>>343058051
This, though gotta remember the tools for creating good looking stuff are improving too.
>>
>>343057939
But that's only if you want like, super realistic graphics or whatever. If you want to do stylish or aesthetically pleasing graphics over amazing in the pure technical side of things then that's still an option. Like, the Wii U is the weakest of all the consoles but it still has great looking games.

Hell, look at Xenoblade Chronicles X. On a technical scale it looks like a PS3 or even PS2 game, but the world is still vast and beautiful.
>>
>>343057939
QUANTUM
COMPUTERS
>>
>>343058257
That shit scares me for security reasons.
>>
>>343058257
This

Imagine, every single atom in a quantum computer is like a processor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
>>
>>343058257

>A classical computer has a memory made up of bits, where each bit is represented by either a one or a zero. A quantum computer maintains a sequence of qubits. A single qubit can represent a one, a zero, or any quantum superposition of those two qubit states;

TECHNOLOGY
>>
>>343057939
you have utterly no idea how a game is actually rendered

graphics are held back by horribly inefficient gpus. pcie 4.0 is under design and we have yet to have have a single gpu that can saturate a pcie 2.0x16 slot.

>We already have Sli and crossfire technology which is essentially Tiny computers dedicated to graphics working together on a single goal.

sli is nothing more than load balancing to get frames out to the display faster and more cpus will not help advance a gpu bound process.
>>
Games dont need to look better

We reached a point of diminishing returns and I would rather have developers concentrate more on what makes games fun and less on polishing the face of a FPS protagonist
>>
File: r3in.png (469 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
r3in.png
469 KB, 640x480
>>343058257

Quantum Computers aren't what you think they are, they're made for solving specific problems but will never replace classical computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_IaVepNDT4
>>
We still don't have real-time ray tracing.
>>
>>343058684
Classical computers were like that in the beginning too, just wait 30 more years and we'll have consumer grade qcomputers
>>
>>343058637
This.

I play lots of older games with shit graphics because they're actually fun. Wish devs cared more about fun than graphics
>>
>>343058807
>Classical computers were like that in the beginning too

Watch the video.
>>
We just need to reach the next level: quantum processing. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen within our lifetime because of security risks
>>
>>343058860
What I meant with that, is that they were used for very specific provlem solving too
>>
>>343058794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0pnvlcKO8
>>
>>343057939
That game is beautiful, as long it doesnt show NPCs
There is plenty of space to move forward graphically
>>
File: nervous.jpg (41 KB, 351x450) Image search: [Google]
nervous.jpg
41 KB, 351x450
>>343058637
>Dev's face when they realise they can't just make games shinier any more and have to be genuinely creative
>>
>>343058986

That's being very liberal with "used for specific problem solving".

This is completely different on a conceptual level.
>>
>>343057939

People said this shit 10 years ago, it was retarded then, and it's retarded now.
>>
>>343057939
>So are we currently at the limit of how good games can look wo forcing Sli
nigger dual gpu's don't even work in like 90% of the games on the market.
>>
>>343058962
3d printing is happening in our life time, despite the security risks. Shit, just read about someone who made 3d printed ammo which protects the guns.
>>
I bet one day the marketing team will come up with this new tech jargon which basically means you can SLI 2 computers for 8k gaming
>>
>>343058257
Yeah and with that will come QUANTUM SHITPOSTING.
>>
>>343059042
Just wait a few years
>>
>>343057939
>So its actually possible one day you will have a Motherboard that supports multiple Multi core CPUs.

what are xeon cpus

OP you are full of shit, every 5 years people will post and think exactly what you wrote.

CPUs and GPUs will ALWAYS get more efficient and get better performance. It is just a matter of Optimization and Textures what maks a game look great.
Sure if you want every grass blade to move and every leaf to be blown by wind then you wiil need a lot of processing power, but that won't make the game look better...

How the game looks its all up to the developer and the game engine... The limit is always on the games themselves
>>
>>343057939
>At the current moment its impossible t make processors faster then they already are.

No idea where you get your information but it's false information.
We are reaching the silicon limits but there are alternatives that we have access to. IBM has already made a processor with graphene, even though graphene may not be going to the mainstream, thats just one of the many alternatives.
>>
File: 1434477551135.png (195 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1434477551135.png
195 KB, 510x346
>>343059236

Watch the fucking video idiot. The guy who knows his shit says they aren't going to replace classical CPUs.
>>
>>343059208
QUANTUM MEMES, and you know what comes from memes? QUANTUM MEME MAGIC THAT PIERCES THE VEIL OF REALITY
>>
How about focusing on ai
>>
>>343059265
For now
>>
>>343059250
why would I want a computer made of pencils
>>
>>343057939
>Apparently we have reached a technological bottleneck.
or we could just start to learn how to program again

devs gotten fucken lazy, taking shortcut and relying on hardware rather than optimizing properly because of tight development schedules set by greedy publishers
>>
>>343059458
Voxels would drastically change games. We would finally get proper destructible environments.
>>
>>343059441
The write speed would be incredible, anon.
>>
>>343059458
Thid
Devs just can't optimize for shit, if they did, we would have games like Crysis 3 running on a GTX 750 at 100 FPS
One of the reasons for bad optimization is because the GPU and CPU market is only controlled by a handful of companies, and that will make sure someone will buy their latest shit to run the games
>>
>>343058986
Remember back when people were SURE there would never be more than maybe fifty computers being used in the US, and that there would be no reason to find one in your average household.
>>
>>343059651
Yes, in 1950
>>
>>343057939
Dont worry, Shinra Corp. will do all the computing for us. All we have to do is enjoy the fun!
>>
>>343059038
God fuck i hope this turns out to be true.
>>
>>343059240
??????

No you are fucking stupid, games max out hardware so much even with HUGE optimisations like reducing cache misses (You'll never get this to 0 for AAA games running for hours) and threading as much as possible (There is only so much data you can seperate without having to sync!).

People like you are stupid.
>>
>>343058637
>>343058637

i mean this shit has been said for years

fuck, I remember people saying this shit when the Wii came out because they knew their console wouldn't look as nice.

having the ability to render highly detailed worlds is great, but realism is not the only style.
>>
>>343057939
Good, maybe developers will focus on improving AI.
>>
File: 1343947249133.jpg (200 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
1343947249133.jpg
200 KB, 816x816
>>343060000
>>
File: fatcontrol.png (279 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
fatcontrol.png
279 KB, 500x400
>>343059409
>>
We need less computing power and more artists

fuck, games like Dragon's Dogma already look gorgeous and run at 60 fps 1080p on a ps3
>>
>>343060158
Just wait a few years
>>
>>343057939

good maybe PCucks will finally shut the fuck up about "muh graphix" and devs will finally start putting gameplay first again
>>
GPUs are getting better though. All the tech giants (Google, Facebook) are now hyping up deep neural networks running on GPUs (reverse image search, etc.), there are libraries for that now. It's time to create much better AI. I doubt anybody cares though, when you retards keep buying EA Sports: Le Pantsu Pokemon Adventure 2018.
>>
>>343057939
>At the current moment its impossible t make processors faster then they already are.
there's only a few games that are processor bottleneck:
Dorf and arma being biggest.
And only because they don't have multi core support.

So you're wrong so fuck off and read a book.
>>
>>343060000
just because a game is heavily stylized doesn't mean you can't make it look significantly better with more powerful graphics

just look at any pixar/disney 3d movie for example
>>
>>343060449
You know that a GPU is a processor too, right?
>>
>>343057939
I want good improvements in AI and Physics. I could honestly deal with less impressive graphics.
>>
>>343060379

Your best bet is for console developers to give up trying to have their games look as good as their PC counterparts and focus more on FPS count, enemy numbers and larger, more reactive environments.

You know, things that make the game PLAY better, not look better.
>>
>>343058257
EVERY SINGLE MEME ALL AT ONCE
>>
>>343059150
i'm sure being able to bust through any digital security easily is far more disruptive than making a weapon and shooting people
>>
>>343059265
You mean just like a GPU isn't a replacement for a classical CPU?
The idea that there's no way we could ever utilize that for rendering 3D graphics is just silly.
>>
>>343059458
It was necessary to have highly efficient engine design before, as there were no cross-chipset API standards, and great visual gains could be made from small shortcuts. Now we have only two major GPU companies which coordinate to ensure adoption costs for their products are low, and enough processing power that major improvements to load balancing bring minor performance benefits.

Meanwhile, increased storage capacity and network rates means more content can be expected from a game, and improved design tools means it's easier to create content than ever before. Content is a selling point, so devs have changed focus from high-efficiency low-content titles to low-efficiency high-content, with hardware picking up the performance slack.

It's not that program design has regressed, but that the demand for high-efficiency programming isn't as high, so you see less of it.

>>343059509
Not sure if bait. Efficient voxel-based rendering would require creation of voxel-specific graphics processors. That means creating research, design, and a market advantage at a loss with the vague possibility of ROI. If voxels become anything, it'll take another few decades of academic projects before businesses take the plunge - like VR back in the 1980s.
>>
>>343060008
Imagine voxel characters, you could give them bullet holes that literally form a hole in the body, or severe a limb exactly from the angle you slice it and have blood gush out of the veins.
>>
>>343059651
>I don't know how cpus work the post
neck yourself my dude
>>
>>343060379
>blaming "pcucks" for only caring about graphics
>meanwhile every console thread on /v/ is about graphics in uncharted, driveclub, bloodborne
>meanwhile consolefags buy entire new consoles just for resolution upgrades

the hypocrisy is strong in this one.
>>
>>343057939
i never thought i'd like a walking simulator but that game is fucking beautifully done.
>>
>>343060787
He's autistic and retarded but he's kind of got a point. Computers became more common because people found new applications for their computational power that was not considered beforehand, not just a magic technology level up like he seems to imply.
>>
>>343060379
For gameplay to come first they need to stop using gamepads and stop appealing to casuals.
>>
>>343060906
yeah and it's pcucks in the threads talking about muh grafix
>>
File: acemundo.jpg (23 KB, 297x233) Image search: [Google]
acemundo.jpg
23 KB, 297x233
>>343060693

Why is this board so fucking stupid? Watch the video. You don't know what a quantum CPU is.
>>
>>343060524
I thought he meant gpu which is fair enough but he meant CPU
Moore's law is about to end early next decade or so but op is still a faggot.
>>
File: qubit-resonator.jpg (54 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
qubit-resonator.jpg
54 KB, 600x400
>>343058684
this so much. Retards seeing the world quantum and shitting their pants
>>343060693
that's the point thought. They aren't very good to make 3D graphics. The GPU was invented exactly for that, but it doesn't override the CPU.
Quantum expansion card (or other type of circuit that does similar calculations that don't require cooling at ~0K) could come in hand to improve videogames by making pathfinding and AI less demanding
>>
>>343061024
(you) \^-^/
>>
>>343057939
that is not true, they are making faster, smaller and more economical processors all the time. I even say a prototype for a micro cpu that was as powerful as an i7, so soon our smartphones will be able to play games in PC quality.
>>
>>343061024
Nah, we just need to start teaching kids how to code in gradeschool
>>
>>343061095
>´hurr durr i watch vidio so i know errything

Quantum PC's don't work like regular one, they barely have any software for them and we barely know how to program them.

Unless you want a fridge sized nitrogen cooler to keep a quantum PC running in your room, you can forget about it. They won't be replacing normal PC's in any forseeable future. We'll have GAI before we have quantum PC
>>
>>343061052
This same tired old whining was around even before we had advanced physics or enough memory to remove load times.

If the world had listened to you pathetic whiners we would have inferior gameplay possibilities today.
>>
>>343061146
making things smaller does not mean they are going to make faster cpus
>>
>>343057939
No you are dead wrong. There is still MUCH to improve in graphics and physics. A lot can be gained simply by stronger and more efficient hardware, and a lot will be gained by new techniques being researched and developed. There's always new shit being discovered.

Don't give me that hurrdurr the technology won't improve significantly anymore. That's flat out bullshit.

Also games still look like shit, however impressive they may look relative to what we are accustomed to.
>>
>>343061217

>Unless you want a fridge sized nitrogen cooler to keep a quantum PC running in your room

Watch the video.
>>
>>343058684
Thanks for the video.
>>
>>343061129
>(or other type of circuit that does similar calculations that don't require cooling at ~0K)

Graphene is where technology is going to go because IIRC it's a superconductor at room temperatures.
>>
>>343061262
This.
NES power can be contained in a microscopic chip. It's horrible, whenever I try to play SMB I need tweezers to insert the tiny fucking cartridge and the micro NES still has the same horrible graphics it had back in the day.

Fuck technology, it's all a scam
>>
>>343061142
Gamepad completely erases the aspect of targeting and pointing at things, and consequently severely limits them.

Aim-assist objectively dumbs down gameplay.
>>
>>343061239
no one is taking advantage of whatever your gameplay possibilities are

for the past generation it's been the same call backs to older genres

working with constraints makes better more focused gameplay that's why the ps2 was so good
>>
>>343061408
Read what a quantum computer is. From shit written by actual experts.

I've also watched a russian made video where they had a cargo container destroy entire US army.
That doesn't mean russias army is worth shit.
>>
>>343061489
FPS and TPS aren't the only genres sweet summer child
>>
>>343061548

Watch the video.
>>
>>343061718
>le ebin I watched 1 video made for retards which means I'm expert episode
>>
>>343061865

Watch the video.
>>
File: 1384625037310.png (440 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1384625037310.png
440 KB, 640x480
>>343061594
Even when you play RPGs you only have lists and have to navigate on the stone age arrow keys instead of literally just pointing and clicking like... wow, as if you were using your own fingers.

What kind of a moron even came up with this idea? It would be like using smartphones with analog sticks.
>>
>>343062039
>picture
How is that terrifying? Are they making fun of the game or what?
>>
What people should be hyped for is light-based transistors.
>>
File: 7tf7er.jpg (43 KB, 355x500) Image search: [Google]
7tf7er.jpg
43 KB, 355x500
>>343058627
This.

There's also the fact games are still only designed around single thread technology, so modern CPU's aren't being utilised to their maximum capapbilities.

The actual speed of the processer isn't so much of a problem, as we can get around that by increasing the number of cores, and improving multithreading capabilities.

Then there are software/driver improvements being made, with DX12 and Vulkan to become more mainstream from Q3 2016 onwards.
>>
The basic premise of the thread is retarded, there's still room for improvement, etc., but some points in this thread got me thinking.
Why are games still developed almost entirely by one studio? I mean it's just getting more and more expensive to make good looking games. It requires more manpower, more time, more of everything.
So why not outsource some of the work? Kinda like what's done already with engines. Shouldn't there be a market sooner or later for specialized studios who do nothing but build models, effects, lighting engines, physics engines, animations, etc.
So that developers would just buy what those studios have in store or order custom things if necessary to quickly build a foundation for their game without having to make everything, from the dirt on the ground and the crates in the alley up to the buildings and physics of the world, completely by themselves. They'd basically buy the frame from someone else and build around it.
It would definately save a lot of time. All it would need is a standarized basis which allows a certain degree of modular game development.
>>
>>343061408
>watch le video!
You literally don't know anything about quantum computers you fucking tard, that video is not the be all end all of quantum computers.
>>
File: F2.large.jpg (96 KB, 660x847) Image search: [Google]
F2.large.jpg
96 KB, 660x847
>>343061479
superconduction is not necessary for quantum computing, the low temps are necessary to uncover the quantum effects. But you can do something similar using analog electronics to mimic the qbits at room temp, with standard electronics. Only size wouldn't be as good as qbits. http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/6/e1500031.full
it's called the memcomputer
Anyway superconduction at room temp would instead be fantastical for every electronics, since it would make miniaturization less demanding. Right now to add components to a computing device we need to make the component smaller to avoid power loss, we cannot stack vertically a lot because power dissipation fucks cooling up.
If power dissipation fucks off the sudden jump in computing power would be sweet
>>
>>343062142

Watch the video.
>>
>>343062169
>superconduction is not necessary for quantum computing

I know but I was saying where the general tech for CPUs was heading.

>Anyway superconduction at room temp would instead be fantastical for every electronics

Graphene seems to be a literal wonder material. Faster CPUs and space elevators, what more could you want
>>
>>343061548
>That doesn't mean russias army is worth shit.
/k/ here. It actually is quite decent nowdays.
>>
>>343060379
With goty going to witcher 3, this isnt going to change soon
>>
We need more extremely parallel processing power.
Basically ADD MOAR CORES to GPUs.
Can't wait to have real time path traced games. Only then will we have truly realistic graphics.
>>
>>343061129
The GPU is actually taking non-graphical tasks now because it's just efficient to adapt them to processes that the gpu can handle.
>>
>>343057939
Source for your bullshit rant?
>>
>>343057939
we already have dual CPU motherboards retard

graphics peaked with crysis in 2007 and haven't improved much since
>>
>>343063305
3D games of today would look like Final Fantasy 7 if we had a couple of new things.
>>343058990
>>
File: crysis low graphics.jpg (111 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
crysis low graphics.jpg
111 KB, 800x640
>>343063305

>graphics peaked with crysis

lol
>>
File: 1401129830627.gif (4 MB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
1401129830627.gif
4 MB, 250x194
>>343063537
>crysis low graphics.jpg
>>
>>343057939
Oh god, this shit again. You chicken little faggots always say this shit, but back when PS3 came out it started to get way worse. "Everything's photorealistic now, there's no way to improve!" But there always is. Always. Even if you actually ran intona wall, there are already further technologies being developed to completely supersede them. Quantum computing and graphene chips are in development, discs that can hold 300tb the size of a nickel.

Stop acting like we're ever going to stop before we hit a 1:1 equality to real life in visual fidelity and immersiveness. Hell, we'll probably even keep going past that until we reach the limits of the human brain, and then start working on bioengineering better brains. It's never gonna end.
>>
File: 1437229738782.gif (4 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1437229738782.gif
4 MB, 200x200
>>343059052
>>
File: not_this_bullshit_soviet.jpg (89 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
not_this_bullshit_soviet.jpg
89 KB, 700x438
>>343063089
that's half of a fucking meme pushed by nvdia to promote CUDA.
Plenty of articles shows now that early tests compared old single threaded CPU programs to new optimized GPU programs.
Having to wait for the PCI bus and using slower parallel processors instead of a bunch of very fast ones isn't always better.
Some sources btw:
http://pcl.intel-research.net/publications/isca319-lee.pdf
http://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~sangjin/2013/02/12/CPU-GPU-comparison.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3018810/
https://larsjuhljensen.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/commentary-the-gpu-computing-fallacy/

GPU are really good at rendering respect to a CPU because they have an hardware rasterizer, but it's not really used in any other type of calculation. The efficiency in matrix multiplication is only a bit superior to CPUs
>>
would you rather have fully photorealistic graphics up to a scale of a small town for everything that doesn't use microscopes or AI content creation (like having a superfast little development team with poor creativity in your computer) /v/?
>>
>>343060308
>DD
>1080p 60fps
>PS3
>>
>>343062096

Because dual analog sticks on a gamepad was a new thing, as was the movement setup they're describing. Using it for the first time ever when you're mostly just used to a single d-pad must've been pretty mindblowing and awkward to get used to
>>
>>343064315
It's not a matter of getting used to, people back then (who had brains) realized immediately how inferior the control scheme is.
>>
>>343064424

Dual analog schemes where one stick controls movement and the other your 'direction' is inferior? To what exactly, a d-pad?
>>
>>343064315
Going from tank controls to SM64's controls was completely mindblowing. It felt like someone had unshackled chains I wasn't aware I'd been bonded by before.
>>
File: DDDA_2016_01_11_16_18_51_056.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DDDA_2016_01_11_16_18_51_056.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>343060308
m8, DD doesn't even look good maxed out on PC.
It also ran like absolute shit on PS3 at sub-720p.
>>
>>343064513
To any control device which simulates your actual hand movement.

On the analog sticks you only accelerate the cursor in one direction and attempt to stop it at the right moment, making it highly inaccurate.

Again, try using analog sticks on a smartphone vs. your fingers if you can't understand this.
>>
>>343064626
You're assuming a certain means of control, being a selection point on a plane. When control and view are bound to an avatar (third-person), good control is about selecting rate of action, which sticks do better than pointers.
>>
>>343064626

>To any control device which simulates your actual hand movement.

Right, which no console even did at that time. Before analogue sticks they only used directional pads. Analogue sticks offer objectively more degrees of control to a player than any console gamepad ever did before, how is that 'inferior'?

>Again, try using analog sticks on a smartphone vs. your fingers if you can't understand this.

Are you actually saying that touchscreen controls are better than analogue sticks? You must be off your meds. Yes, I love having to stick all the buttons on my actual view window and having to obscure my view every time I want to do something.
>>
If you think graphics have hit a plateau, watch the following videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gah8sHA1r_8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9h0hVZ3WIs4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sYX9I3ONHc4

These demos all run at 1080p 60fps on hardware LESS powerful than the PS4 Neo. We're gonna hit photorealism with baked lighting in 3-5 years, and with real-time ray tracing in 8-10 (look up 'brigade engine'). The brightest days of graphics progress are ahead of us.
>>
>Last Of Us Remastered Remastered
>It looks exactly the same
>People buy it in droves anyway
>>
>>343062096
look at the year of the quote
>>
>>343057939

games look significantly better every year. just look at the tech advances between last of us and uncharted 4

sure they arent advancing the way crysis made us think they would, but thats because all games are developed console first, so we took about a ten year step back graphics wise
>>
>>343064597
>DD doesn't even look good maxed out on PC.

you are dookie? dookie???!

YOU are DOOKIE.
>>
>>343064964
The center of you screen is still the cursor even if it doesn't come obvious to you. In some PC games when there's a glitch you can briefly see the Windows cursor in the middle of the crosshair fixed. Aiming is no different than pointing a cursor at something and clicking. Which one do you think is going to be more effective for desktop work, a fucking joystick or a mouse?
>>343064985
>Right, which no console even did at that time. Before analogue sticks they only used directional pads.
Yeah because consoles were primarly for platformers and games such as that. Shooters that require targeting should have never been ported to them, it was the biggest event of dumbing down in gaming history when that happened.
>Are you actually saying that touchscreen controls are better than analogue sticks?
Without a shadow of a doubt, and you can try move a cursor or a crosshair (same thing) with a joystick vs. mouse vs. touchscreen. Mouse is slightly less accurate than a touchscreen but still miles ahead of the laughable stick.
>>
>>343057939
It's been like that for a decade. The improvement from Crysis to GTA V is very slim
>>
>>343064626
I love playing 3rd person action games with a mouse and keyboard! ;-)
>>
>>343059250
half life 2 looks only marginaly worse than most modern shooters
>>
>>343057939
>In fact only way it seams this is possible is to just put more in to a single machine.
But this makes them more expensive and consume way more power.
>In fact the only way to make games look and run better would be to literally have multiple computers working on a single game.
>We already have Sli and crossfire technology which is essentially Tiny computers dedicated to graphics working together on a single goal.

After reading that I genuinely need a strong drink to forget it quickly.
>>
>>343065238
Uncharted is a carefully crafted charade. It's not like id Tech where no matter how simple the game is, you can immediately see that it's running on an advanced engine.
>>
File: Skyrim Remastered PC.jpg (256 KB, 1042x850) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim Remastered PC.jpg
256 KB, 1042x850
>>343065068
>>
>>343065581

I agree with this for the most part. What's improved as far as I'm concerned are the model polygon counts.
>>
>>343065420

>Yeah because consoles were primarly for platformers and games such as that. Shooters that require targeting should have never been ported to them, it was the biggest event of dumbing down in gaming history when that happened.

Doesn't change the fact that analogue sticks were still an upgrade to the control methods that came before. Whether or not they're 'ideal' is always debateable, but your notion that the the dual analogue method was 'inferior' at the time is objectively false; touchscreens were barely a thing back then, if they even were at all.

>Without a shadow of a doubt, and you can try move a cursor or a crosshair (same thing) with a joystick vs. mouse vs. touchscreen. Mouse is slightly less accurate than a touchscreen but still miles ahead of the laughable stick.

Certainly a touchscreen is a lot more of a 1:1 translation, but a lot of that theoretical practicality disappears when you start talking about genres like shooters. You say that analogue sticks dumbed down shooters because of their impracticality, then stop to consider how further they would have to be dumbed down if they had to be suitable for touchscreen controls. Have you ever played an actual shooter on a touchscreen? Even forgetting the fact that a lack of physical buttons means every button has to be made available on-screen, just moving around and aiming would be an absolute nightmare. I don't even know how you'd approach a touch-screen only shooter without virtual analogue sticks
>>
>>343065554
Me too, because the camera being behind the character makes no difference - mouse still reigns supreme.
>>
>>343065420
I understand that, but you're not getting the apples-and-oranges difference between coordinate selection (mouse) and translation selection (stick). Starcraft is easier to control with a mouse; Super Monkey Ball is easier to control with a stick; Counterstrike is easier to control with a mouse; Street Fighter is easier to control with a stick; etc. What control method is better depends on what is being controlled.
>>
>>343057939 (OP)
>ok I ain't read all that
Niggers should be relegated to Twitter only. They've got the attention span of a retarded preteen. Christ.
>>
>>343065930
>Doesn't change the fact that analogue sticks were still an upgrade to the control methods that came before.
What do I care if it went from diarrhea to solid shit? The gaming world perspective doesn't revolve around consoles, because they are an inferior system.
>then stop to consider how further they would have to be dumbed down if they had to be suitable for touchscreen controls.
I'm not advocating for touchscreen controls for gaming because it would be tiresome for your arms. But it's undoubtedly more accurate than a mouse, because the mouse sensor only emulates your finger tipe and the mouse pad the screen.
>>
>>343059651
This is probably a fallacy of some sort. Computing power could stagnate for the next hundred years for all we know. Breakthroughs don't have to follow each other in quick succession.
>>
>>343058353
It shouldn't. If a computer produces every possible encryption key at once, it's going to find the right one along with a billion wrong ones that seem right. All we have to do is use a one-time-pad.
>>
>>343062123
sauce
>>
>>343058637
If there's ever another video-game crashes, it'll probably be because of this. So many developers and publishers have put their money into developing graphics at the expense of everything else, neglecting to foster talent elsewhere. If public opinion were to resolutely stop favoring cinematic, graphics-oriented games, many creators would be in trouble as they'd be unable to provide what the audience craves.

Of course, that's IF. I really doubt we ever get another vidya crash. The market is both too diverse and too capable at attracting mouth-breathing retards (or turning people into one).
>>
>>343067075
>just an ebay posting
FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>343057939
Personally I think games look fine the way they are now.

Maybe in the next 10 years instead of making shit games that look good they could, I dunno, make good games that look the same as they do now?
>>
>>343060379
Then why do MS and Sony keep releasing movie games and console kiddies complain that they aren't on PC?
>>
>>343066338

>What do I care if it went from diarrhea to solid shit?

An upgrade nonetheless; your original argument that people were right to be 'frightened' of a dual analogue scheme because it was an inferior option at the time doesn't hold up. The discussion wasn't about whether or not it was the 'most optimal' control scheme, it was about it being better than what came before.

fyi, I think shooters on consoles are retarded too

>I'm not advocating for touchscreen controls for gaming because it would be tiresome for your arms.

What's your point then? We were talking about control methods for games (I guess specifically consoles in this case).

>But it's undoubtedly more accurate than a mouse, because the mouse sensor only emulates your finger tipe and the mouse pad the screen.

So? Just because it's 'more accurate' doesn't automatically make it more suitable for gaming purposes, like the touchscreen example. Sure, it's more accurate and intuitive than a mouse but for a vast majority of genres it'd be absolutely horrible
>>
>>343057939

all games should look like anime, that way you don't have to spend billions making them, just look at wind waker or breath of the wild, XIII or vietiful joe, what about okami nigga? that shit is timeless on top of looking great

anime graphics are the future nigga
>>
>>343058051
Upvoted
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.