[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: Doom_3_BFG_Edition.jpg (27 KB, 238x293) Image search: [Google]
Doom_3_BFG_Edition.jpg
27 KB, 238x293
What went wrong?
>>
doom had gameplay and spooks, doom 3 emphasized om spooks
guess which one people preferred
>>
>>343056013
I meant the BFG edition in particular. But yeah I don't get why it tried to ape Half Life instead of doing what the franchise is known for.
>>
Literally everything. Looking back on it now, the only positive thing is that it actually supports proper modding and making custom content, unlike the new piece of shit Doom.
>>
>>343055943
It's not a Doom game.
>>
Carmack was going autistic on lighting effects and getting realistic lighting into his engines, so they created Doom 3 to maximise that. Whereas with Doom engine was created to be much faster than the Ultima Underground engine and the gameplay was based around speed.

So nothing really went wrong per se, just a different focus.
>>
flashlight not being a separate weapon
>>
>>343055943
I thought it was pretty good though.
Maybe not the best game, but it was still good.
>>
>>343055943
levels too small/linear
not enough variety in enemy encounters
>>
>>343055943
>Dark corridors and factories everywhere with barely an interesting sight in between.
>Hell level is just the same corridor and room repeated unto infinity.
>Shit weapon design, just like in 4. Rocket launcher doesn't even cause splash damage or make a visible impact and they added a generic Half Lifey machine gun for no reason, only not as good.

Enemies are still better than in Doom 4 though, where they either richochet around arenas as lightning speed or perform moved aped from other games such as ground bash AoE attacks, and even the story isn't as intrusive as in Doom 4 despite there being more of it, oddly nuff. Also, no scripted actions by the player such as takedowns, chainsaw animations and factory pump bashing scenes.

In conclusion, D3 is just slightly better than 4, but both are horrible, horrible games.
>>
It was the crysis of that year. It required a good rig to play it, even on the lowest settings.

Also it tried to be a horror game.
>>
>>343056515
Quake 4 was the rightful successor to Doom 2
>>
>>343055943
>What went wrong?

Honestly, just that you were slow and needed reloading. Doom 3 I think is actually pretty cool, and I think some of the designs of Hell in Doom 3 are better than in Doom 4.
>>
monster closets
>>
>>343056610
>but both are horrible, horrible games.
No they're not, don't be stupid. Bubsy 3D is a "horrible, horrible game". Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's horrible.
>>
>>343056693
I've never played that, but Doom 3 isn't very Doomlike.
It's not hard to beat really.

I still think Doom 3 was good.
>>
>>343056756
They're competent but not worth remembering because they just ape better games while abusing the name of a legendary series. They're poopoo.
>>
>>343055943

there is literally nothing wrong with this game
>>
>>343055943
>expect a game
>get a black screen

No wonder people hated it.
>>
File: Doom 3 BFG version differences.png (134 KB, 2406x1006) Image search: [Google]
Doom 3 BFG version differences.png
134 KB, 2406x1006
>>343056101
>>343055943
They literally made a console port, with nerfed visuals and gameplay, and re-ported it back to PC.

They also censored the Doom 1 and 2 games that came with it, because Germany and Red Cross are bunch of nazis.
>>
>>343059257

There is console access for BFG.
>>
>>343055943
It's the old cliche of being a good game, but not being a good [insert series here] game.
>>
>>343059506
wasn't at launch.
>>
>>343059984
Woah, what the fuck? I can understand the removal of nazi shit because SJW agenda, but how is the red cross ever bad?
>>
>>343055943
horror
>>
>>343055943
It tried to be Half-Life. That's why I like to call it Half Doom.
>>
>>343060246

Redcross doesn't like their logo used in games even tho it's just a standard medical logo.

They had to remove the red crosses out of skullgirls on valentine too.
>>
>>343061084
But I guess it's ok when Blizzard does it?
>>
>>343060928

Didn't it try to be more like System Shock 2?
>>
>>343061084
This. They've gone full retard with this in the past few years. One of the stupidest examples was this marketing campaign for a new children's hospital in Finland, which used old those building blocks, colored in orange, formed into cross-like shape, with the letters forming the year and initials of the project. This was a huge no-no to R.C., and the whole campaign had to be taken down and re-designed. Similarly, only R.C.'s own first-aid kits are allowed to have the red cross symbol on it these days.

tl;dr: if you've seen a game with medkits etc having weird symbols instead of the global sign of health and safety, it's probably been hit by Red Cross' C&D note, or they pre-censored it to avoid lawsuits.

I actually sent an email to R.C. about this matter couple years ago, asking if I'd be allowed to use the symbol in a historical WW2 game, but their answer was pretty much "lol dunno, ask your local authorities blabla".

>>343061473
Notice how it's WHITE cross on a red background?
That's perfectly OK! Can't ban the Swiz flag.
>>
>>343061485
They literally put a phys gun in the expansion pack.
>>
>>343060246
http://www.redcross.ca/about-us/about-the-canadian-red-cross/red-cross-emblem/it-may-just-be-a-game-to-you-but--it-means-the-world-to-us

tl;dr: you're a filthy criminal for using the red cross symbol in fictional, virtual health items and on hospitals.

The nazi stuff was removed because German somehow still matters, and it's sooo horrible to show pixelated Hitler drawings.
>>
>>343061485
It tried to be like both.

>>343061636
I heard it was supposed to be in the main game but they didn't finish it. Anyway, it wasn't actually much like gravity gun was.
>>
File: 1368130803726.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1368130803726.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>343061798
>Anyway, it wasn't actually much like gravity gun was.
>>
>>343055943

Doom 3 is a great game. BFG edition's visual changes (as well as giving you too much ammo for encounter-trivializing strong weapons like the Chaingun and RL) are shit, but The Lost Mission alone is worth the game's price on discount tbqh. It's like the best bits of Doom 3 rolled into a small 3-4h campaign
>>
>>343061473
Is she Swiss?
>>
>>343055943
>Doom 3

Fucking amazing sequel to Quake 2
>>
>>343061875
There's barely any props in RoE to actually use it on. It's more for instakilling lost souls and grabbing enemy projectiles (which magically makes them do like 10 times more damage, making the grabber kind of overpowered against imps and hell knights. I think you can one-shot imps/vulgars with their projectiles? I didn't use it much myself.
>>
Quake 4 is pretty good. Still remember that one seen when you get turned into a strogg, that shit was intense
>>
File: francis york morgan.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
francis york morgan.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>343055943
Doom back during its release was actually very scary for the time, so Doom 3 guys wanted to see if that was an interesting direction for the series. While they did an Ok job in that area inmy book, everything else suffered in its place, namely the stuff that makes Doom what it is such as the part where every gun had absolutely no oopmh to it and an over reliance on story beyond "evil company wants to get stuff from hell because it breathes through its fucking mouth and now you must fight the demons."
>>
>>343056693
>Quake 4 was the rightful successor to Doom 2

I suggest you replay that, 'cause you might be misremembering

The SP is more fast-paced than Doom 3's, but not even by much. Still small-ish encounters with 4-6 enemies at a time, nothing like Doom. Quite a bit of plot intermissions too
>>
>>343056693
>Quake 4 was the rightful successor to Doom 2

Literally kill your'self and take a school with you if possible.
>>
>>343062363

Will a gay club suffice?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.