[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Odin Sphere thread. WE'RE THE KING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: Odin-Sphere-1280x1024.jpg (275 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Odin-Sphere-1280x1024.jpg
275 KB, 1280x1024
Holy shit /v/

Was this REALLY game of the year this year?

A remake of a game from 07? Granted, it's the best remake ever made, but still.
>>
>>343054618

Never played the original, and I just finished it a while ago and watched everything in order with the archives. Shit was pretty good, I enjoyed piecing together everything as I played through the books. I liked it better than Muramasa
>>
Honestly I came to this game having only played dragon's crown and while I loved dragon's crown, this game wore out its welcome quite quickly.

The fact that I have to play through the same levels FIVE times is bad enough, but the overly dramatic story got on my nerves extremely quickly. I can't stand the amount of God damned melodrama in this story, it's insane. I love the combat and visuals of this game but everything else falls flat on its face for me. I'm playing Oswald at the moment and I'm seriously losing any will to keep playing.
>>
>>343055146

>The fact that I have to play through the same levels FIVE times is bad enough

I liked it. I treated it like DMC4:SE
>>
>>343054618
Played the original, hated it. Noticed massive improvements to reduced grinding and the lowered amount of enemies.

Seriously though, what's up with the broken hit detection on easy? S-ranked just about everytime while being slapped around by off-screen enemies.
>>
>>343055146
>overly dramatic story
What
>>
>>343055146
This game certainly wasn't made to be completed in a short time. The repetition can easily burn people out.
>>
>>343055239
It was inexcusable in DMC4SE and it's inexcusable here. Dragon's Crown, while having the same repeated levels issue, was at least scaling in difficulty and rewards, and also there was no stupid story elements making everything so intolerable.
>>
>>343054618
How dare they sell this for full price though?
>>
>>343055278
The characters, and their VAs (in English, at any rate) are constantly being melodramatic and grandiose. I have a feeling that the story is being played out to us, the player like it's a play or that it's meant to be a fairy tale, literally the one that Alice is reading, but still it's not to my taste at all.
>>
>>343055421

It really is a new game. Plays completely differently.
>>
>>343054618

Just finished playing it. I like that they improved combat and added skills to classes, but man most of the skills are fucking useless. Oswald in particular has no good skills (his default attacks are shit too, his entire play style revolves around getting and using berserk mode then mashing normal attack because it's the highest DPS he has).

Wish they put a bit more effort into the various skills and gave them some synergy with the characters move sets.
>>
>>343055457

That's exactly my taste
>>
>>343055146
The best part of the story is that it's like going to the theater though
>>
>>343055551
Gwendolyn was the best in terms of skill synergy. She also felt the smoothest to control I feel. I wouldn't mind an extended campaign with her alone.
>>
>>343055421
There's the problem I had. Even with the 20% off discount, it's the same damn story being sold for full price.
>>
>transitioning from mercedes to oswald
why the fuck did they put the best gameplay first then suddenly gives you the worst next? Shit made me drop this game
>>
>>343055647
The original was much worse. They threw the same difficulty at you, with piss poor combat.
>>
>>343055634

Gwendolyn is the best character in terms of skills. She has 3 that are actually useful.

Cornelius has 2 (maybe 3) useful skills.

Velvet and Mercedes have 1 useful skill and maybe 1 more that is very situational.

Oswald literally has no useful skills and most of them will actually slow down his damage output if he even bothers to use them.
>>
Just bought this game. Only other Vanillaware game I've played is Muramasa, so it feels very similar.

What the deal with the English VA though? It's like Atlus didn't even bother to get some direction, they just handed the actors a script and said, lets do one take and call it done.

I got to the third chapter before I had to switch it to Japanese. It was just so damn bad.
>>
>>343055571
Hey man more power to you. I'm not saying the game is objectively or even subjectively bad, just that I would've preferred the story to be less dramatic, particularly the Oswald Gwendolyn romance, which I could not STAND.
>>
File: forms.jpg (153 KB, 1186x544) Image search: [Google]
forms.jpg
153 KB, 1186x544
Slightly off topic, but do you guys think Vanillaware will ever release a complete version of Murmasa Rebirth for the PS4, with all the DLC included.
>>
>>343055751
It's literally a fairy tale and blatantly makes that obvious. What did you possibly expect?
>>
>>343055854
They're working on something new for now so I doubt it
>>
>>343055881
Well fairy tales usually have a light hearted tone to them and also don't have a super super grim ending.
>>
>people shit-talking Oswald
Next to Cornelius, I utterly destroyed everyone with Oswald. The guy can be a fucking monster.
>>
>>343055963
The only light hearted fairy tales I read are the modern remasters of old ass fairy tales
>>
>>343055963
>fairy tales don't have grim endings
dis nigga
>>
>>343055731

>has no useful skills
Madness and berserker barrage are useful, Berserker barrage just for the satisfaction it brings when slashing the shit out of enemies, no dps tho.

>Mercedes have 1 usefull
>Flashbang for ez bosses
>Big shot for crowd control
>Summons for more dps
>useless
>>
Just finished getting the platinum like an hour ago. I'd planned to finish it earlier but doing the Book of Armageddon four times and then grinding through that postgame dungeon took forever, especially with the amount of health bosses have on higher difficulties.

Odin Sphere was always my favourite Vanillaware game, but it was flawed as hell. Leifthrasir basically polished out everything that wasn't good about the original (aside from maybe the repetition but I never found that to be a problem) and is pretty much GOAT.
>>
>>343056132

Oswalds only redeeming feature is berserk mode, Madness is literally a free berserk mode but it doesn't last long. That is literally it.

Mercedes only useful skill is the hunter shot. The big shot is situationally useful for clearing out lots of trash but shit against most bosses. Everything else she has is just a waste because hunter bolt + spam shot will kill shit without it ever getting close to you.
>>
>>343056281
His magic attacks sre some really strong shit, especially the one that sucks in surrounding enemies, and giving you the opportunity to juggle them some more.
>>
>>343056374

Most of his magic attacks hit enemies once or twice then fly off. His only half decent magic attack is the dark twister one but it's suction is so weak a few normal hits will send enemies flying out of it (and in berserk mode it's useless).

Seriously, Oswald is the worst character in the game to play. Berserk mode is the only redeeming quality he has (and it is strangely weaker than Velvets normal attacks).
>>
>>343055740

The dub's a bit shit. My only real disappointment with Leifthrasir is the fact that they didn't do anything to fix the dodgy translation or poor dubbing from the PS2 version even though they said they were retranslating it. The majority of the English script/audio is straight out of the PS2 version with only minimal changes.

Although having already played it in Japanese I decided to play with the dub just for the hell of it, and there was some entertainment value just from how disjointed some of the voice actors are. Liam O'Brien hams up his lines to a comical level, he sounds like fucking Calculon.
>>
>>343056534
Well I don't know, anon. Next to Cornelius, I had the easiest time using him compared to everyone else, even while playing on Hard.
>>
>>343055731
>Oswald literally has no useful skills

The grab skill. Use it wisely and you can pass through big bosses to their other side. Shit is one of his best attacks.

Also the flame tower skill does so many continuous damage if target isn't moving. It's really good against slow bosses.
>>
>>343056724

Mercedes is objectively the best character due to her range.

Velvet is the second best character because she has insane combo potential which when combined with more damage for bigger combos (and more damage for burn which she can do easily) she just has insane damage output.

Cornelius and Gwendolyn are next. Both have solid move sets and it's hard to figure out which is the better of the two.

Oswald is dead last. Terrible standard attacks, no really good skills, berserk mode is his only strong point.
>>
>tfw the game bombed
It's not fair
>>
>>343056915
I encourage you to check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RarXZkFuz1w
>>
>>343056915
Velvet is made for spell casting. Her weakest fire spell already does massive continuous damage when you set enemies on fire... I just burn through every enemy with her fire. Also has more magic reserves than everyone else.
>>
File: 1440706713421.jpg (180 KB, 1000x760) Image search: [Google]
1440706713421.jpg
180 KB, 1000x760
>>343055963
>>
>>343057080

Velvets flame ground and then drill spam is insane. You rack up combos so fast it's crazy. Think my highest combo with her was 1655 hits.
>>
>>343055731
>Cornelius has 2 (maybe 3) useful skills.
To me, he has a plenty of useful skill

Spiral claw
Plasma circle
Plasma ball
Whirlwind.
>>
>>343057069

Not seeing anything particularly impressive in this video.

The only way to play as Oswald is drop the dark tornado and then try to keep enemies in it with the grab attack. Once berserk mode is up use it and just mash normal attacks because anything else you use will lower your DPS and use up too much time.
>>
>>343057318

Plasma Ball isn't that great, and Plasma circles only use is for racking up combos, it's damage is shit.

Cornelius gameplay is basically spamming spiral claw and if there is a group of enemies (or big slow moving boss) using whirlwind.
>>
>>343055731

Play it on a higher difficulty. You'll NEED a lot of skills for pretty much every character.

Gwendolyn
>Most of her ice skills (though Ice Shot and Icicle Wave are the most consistently useful)
>Needle Strike (damage/combo)
>Beak Dive (lets you cross up bosses, good for knocking enemies out of attacks even on Heroic)
>Rising Crescent (damage, sets up air combos, almost as good as Beak Dive for knocking shit around)

Cornelius
>Spark Bolt (stun spam, obviously)
>Lightning Blade (OP if you're not using the PP for Spark Bolt)
>Whirling Blade (spin2win against basically everything that isn't a boss)
>Spiral Claw (spin2win against bosses)
>Streak Slash (cross up bosses, crowd control)

Mercedes
>Round Shot (kill everything that isn't a boss)
>Hunter Shot (general damage)
>Spirit Call (use with Unlimited Ammo for bullshit DPS on vosses)
>Unlimited Ammo

Oswald
>Vile Rush (stunlocks a lot of things, continues combos easily)
>Crazed Grip (crosses up bosses, ridiculous DPS even on things you can't throw)
>Nightmare Blast (some of the highest DPS in the game and homing with a long duration, will kill virtually every boss in no time flat)

Velvet
>Flare Shot (spammable, burning, high as hell damage, wrecks pretty much everything, low PP cost, OP as fug)
>Spiral Drive (stupid damage and knockback, though kind of risky)
>Sling Whip (pointless on anything below Heroic, but great on Heroic for single target damage and the fact that you're invincible throughout the animation)
>Round Flare (burning without using PP, good in the air, good against crowds, pretty much good all around unless the enemies are short)

IMO Cornelius is the all-around best with Gwendolyn and Oswald tied for second.
>>
>>343055278
Anime in a nutshell.
>>
>>343057340
Or my mistake, that's not the one I wanted to show. Lemme see if I can dig around for it, I remember having an impressive one saved.

Also, an optimal set-up for Oswald is the Vampric Ring and a Venus Bangle. It increases his damage output like crazy, and allows him to tank through a lot of attacks while doing Vile Rush, or other multi-hitting specials.
>>
>>343057431
Of course the damage is lacking because you use plasma ball/circle mainly to stun the enemy.
>>
>>343057431
Dude, how is it not useful? It's pretty much a guaranteed stun, and lets you continue your combo with impunity.
>>
>>343057593

Never saw much use for stun. I've found it easy as fuck to juggle enemies once they stagger until they die. Even on bosses.

>>343057581

I think that is the optimal set up for every character.
>>
File: 1464208931864.png (66 KB, 382x395) Image search: [Google]
1464208931864.png
66 KB, 382x395
This game is triggering me right now. I was told it has no missables.

Now that I unlocked Xtra mode i can clearly see once you take your save in Xtra mode the lower normal and +1+2 ranks of some accessories are UNOBTAINABLE because you can only find the +3 and beyond versions at this point.

THAT IS A MISSABLE!
>>
>>343057770
I think I found it, but you might want to skip ahead.
http://youtu.be/cgYSKXbl2Sc
>>
>>343054618
The best remake ever is Okami HD though
>>
>>343057770
There are some bosses you can't juggle, though. Like the Halja, for example. Stun is incredibly useful for the likes of them.
>>
>tfw playing this game with a fightstick
It just feels so good.
>>
>>343058689
How easy is it to do those 2-8 motions on stick? Trying to do it on pad just drives me fucking nuts.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.