[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't make up my mind if this game looks really good or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 24
I can't make up my mind if this game looks really good or like absolute garbage
>>
Its good mechanics tied down with bullshit implementation (open world) and useless ornaments (Mother Base/Fulton)
>>
>>343049590
it looks pretty nice.
it plays pretty nice.
it's overall gamedesign, writing and ending (or lack of one), however, are very bad.
>>
>>343050260
Oh I should also say that the story is pretty decent (for Kojima), it was just BADLY hurt by the cut content.

I guarantee people would at least have a better opinion of the story if it was allowed to come to full bloom
>>
File: 1294222102006.jpg (38 KB, 636x549) Image search: [Google]
1294222102006.jpg
38 KB, 636x549
>>343050464

Explain to me how the story is "decent"
>>
>>343049590
Does the game have no anti-aliasing at all?
>>
>>343049590
Gameplay is great albeit ruined by an over abundance of support and ammunition and is better played in subsistence throughout.

Story wasn't that bad but it simply never ended.
>>
>>343049590
Lighting is real good, and that's what makes the game "look" good.
A game can have insane polycount and texture resolution, but if the lighting doesn't feel real, it won't look good.
>>
>>343050563
Remember when everyone hated on MGS4s Ending?
It gets explained.

And Skull Face being a shit villain? He is the biggest villain in the whole series, and he won the moment Motherbase blew up.
>>
File: bexutP9.jpg (304 KB, 1720x3020) Image search: [Google]
bexutP9.jpg
304 KB, 1720x3020
It looks like shit. The character models are disgustingly bad. Textures are blurry shit.
>>
It looks appealing because it's clean.

No overload of detail that hurts your eyes, but there's a decent amount of realism put into the right areas.
>>
>>343050741
No it doesn't. It gets excused with a backdoor retcon which is completely tertiary to every element in the game itself.
>>
File: image.png (665 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
image.png
665 KB, 600x798
>>343050563
Its more or less consistent with Kojima's level of quality ever since MGS3.

Unless you're one of those guys whose only idea of what makes the game shit is not playing as Big Boss.

If there were a single thing I would change about the story is that Skull Face would be made a stronger Villain, he didnt neccesarily live up to the mystique that GZ layed on thick surrounding him. He was too easy of a kill. Venom & Co should have suffered more serious losses at his hand before finally killing him
>>
>>343049590
Great lighting, but terrible everything else
>>
>>343050812
friendly reminder big boss did shitall in mgs3 and is just a big nonce
>>
>>343050741
MGS4 had a shit story and a shit ending for thousands of reasons, only one of which was Big Boss coming back
>>
it looks good on 360 and i bought it for 11 dollars

only wish you could save part way through missions, the prison break side op is annoying as shit
>>
>>343050812
So the only take away is that Venom is Big Boss in MG1?
Not Skull Face more or less dooming the world to never ending conflict, FoxDIE finally making some kind of sense and explaining Liquids hate for Big Boss.
I liked it but it misses something.. a proper ending i wonder if people wouldn't shit on the game that much if chapter 3 was there.
>>
>>343050741
Skullface was only good in GZ. It set the stage for him being absolutely atrocious and inhumane.

In TPP, he's just laughably comical and dies in the most ridiculous way without having achieved anything, and his death isn't even rewarding. It's more like "wow he's dead already?".

And then you realize it's the only "ending" in this game.
>>
>>343051198
MAJOR
>>
>>343051051
What did Skullface even accomplish? Or even tried to?
First he wants to sell Metal Gears as mobile nuke platforms.
Then he grows parasites that kill all non-English hosts.
Then it turns out he has the English strain as well.
Then we find out that Metal Gear Erectus could never act as a nuke launcher, that it wasn't even operational and was only powered by Shota Mantis.
What was the purpose of it all?
>>
>>343051314
He explains it in the car ride.

Removing the English language and creating a world of universal deterrence with his nukes. The plan told by Code Talker was only half of the plan, nobody knew he had the English strain
>>
>>343051314
Uhh he did successfully get Codetalker to perfect a few archaeas. And flash-purifying nuclear material ain't nothing.
>>
>>343051198
But by that time Skull Face already won.
And now that i think about it, the jeep scene makes kinda sense for me. Skullface trying to provoke Big Boss, trying to make him angry, but it is the wrong guy. Venom has no hatred in him, he just waits.

>>343051314
Skullfaces biggest victory was keeping Zero and Big Boss parted. By that he set everything in motion, people got inspired by the Idea of being mercenary's and putting Zero out was only for his own enjoyment.
>>
>>343051584
Dramatically speaking, Skullface didnt really do shit but dodge around until he got crushed by Sally. As a villain he was pretty damn benign and did very little to oppose Venom and his crew directly
>>
>>343050610
It does but it barely makes a difference
>>
>>343050464
I guess I agree the notion of the threat posed was alright. But Chapter 2 was simply retardballs, and even if it did have Mission 51 what that was building towards was an anticlimax.

Skullface had some presence even if he clearly made many many mistakes. Eli was frankly shit. And if it was an actual intention of the game design rather than a ploy to stretch the game out to keep him silent until the replays in Chapter 2 was just dumb.

There is so very little character usage that I just can't understand what's present. The arc of Huey being on trial probably could've saved chapter 2 by itself if, his guilt or innocence was actually up in the air. Were an actual trial seen where he was able to engage other characters. Instead everyone was already in agreement and already had evidence of Huey's wrongdoing, even though absolutely everyone on Motherbase is a traitor by some measure. Nevermind just Kaz and Ocelot with their double agency.

Hell there was a set of minigames in the VR Missions where you would follow clues to find a murderer. Finding the guy with a bleeding head wound from smashing into a camera was more satisfying than "hey we found this evidence", "b-b-b-but you're wrong!!!".
>>
>>343049590
more inclined toward latter
>>
>>343049590
>Muh graphics
Just slap some sweetFX onto it if you care that much. There are several decent ones out there, the one that mimics the E3 2013 presentation is decent.
The engine itself is a beast, everything is fluid as fuck, extremely well optimized and stable.
>>
>>343051314
Seems to be cut content quite simply. I'm convinced quite a huge chunk of the game was cut, bigger than we think. Kojima once said there would be many NPCs you could meet and ally with or kill. But there was no such thing.

There are so many subplots in this game started from the beginning, and so few are solved. I'm thinking Quiet and Code Talker only covered the parasite subplot, but there remains Skulls, Mantis/Man on fire, metallic archea/nukes, and Liquid. There's something missing in all this, and I'm thinking plenty NPCs and their associated storylines that each drive one subplot. Reminder that one of the kids, who's highlighted throughout the trailers as much as Quiet, had a renowned kid voice actor voicing him, yet he never says anything.

OKB Zero also hints at everything being over and done, like you've done so much more than just finding Huey, Quiet and Code Talker, hence Skullface's death, when it seems he's done nothing yet.

And then, there's this thing so controversial that it would have forced Kojima to leave the industry forever. It's not in the game, devs confirmed it, and they won't say what it was. We may never know what the story really was about.
>>
File: maxresdefault 10.37.31.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault 10.37.31.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
What went wrong
>>
>>343050793
This is it.
I was playing DMC:Devilmayedge edition and the screens just full of fuck.
Like not even stylised like just too much in the screen. It looks nice but as soon as you start playing it its fucking irritating.
>>
>>343052134
Kojima acted as if he had infinite time and budget then got burned
>>
>>343052134
Kojima is a hack
>>
>>343051198
> People this stupid are the only one's calling MGS V's story shit

Well I guess you can make the argument that if the uneducated masses can't appreciate it, it's shit.. but I really thought there were at least some people who understood it and still called it shit.
>>
>>343052245
What are you even trying to say lol
>>
>>343052063
>The engine itself is a beast

It's not really. The engine was par for 2010, but it's severely lacking in the technology department now. The game runs well because it has the technology of a 2010 game.
>>
>>343052245
Hello?
>>
At least MGS V has very good optimization. Try playing Hitman 2016 foe example. Even the best GPU's can't handle stable 60 FPS at 1080p
>>
>>343052245
>People this stupid are the only one's calling MGS V's story shit
They're only talking about Skullface. I mean, "he" is only talking about Skullface. It's an anonymous imageboard I know, but we so far assumed that a post is written by a single person.
>>
File: lUrdJW8.png (588 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
lUrdJW8.png
588 KB, 1440x810
>>343052482
>Try playing Hitman 2016
>>
>>343052610
It's better than MGS V but has shit tier optimization
>>
>>343052297
Skullface's character clearly went over that poster's head, and incorrect assumptions are made that make this person think his character is bad.

There are reasons that people might think his character is bad, but these reasons show that this person's understanding of characters probably caps at Harry Potter.
>>
File: 6AXdf7X.jpg (94 KB, 1254x651) Image search: [Google]
6AXdf7X.jpg
94 KB, 1254x651
>>343050934
Such a lust for Kojima
>>
File: d3e.png (248 KB, 670x566) Image search: [Google]
d3e.png
248 KB, 670x566
>>343052868
>MGS3 remake on FOX engine
>You play the whole game through Skull Face's perspective
>>
Metal gear solid V is honestly the most enjoyable game ive played in a long time but I definitely see where others are coming from. The story is all over the place but still interesting. Things such as mb management just seem annoying after a while. Also, MB coins are fucking bullshit. Im somewhere around mission 40 and I am fucking loving it.
>>
>>343053001
So THAT's why the camera was so shit in the original release
>>
>>343049590
It's somewhere in between. I found the gameplay very fun and addicting, but it just left a bittersweet taste because it could have been so much more. I honestly think it would have been better if they just axed act 2 and added more flavor to act 1.
>>
>>343052098
>It's not in the game, devs confirmed it, and they won't say what it was. We may never know what the story really was about.
I'm pretty sure kojimas parasites were originally supposed to target people based on race. Skullface even called them ethnic cleansers.
>>
File: 1454400875114.jpg (85 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
1454400875114.jpg
85 KB, 600x911
>>343053521
>ethnic cleansers
That's some narrow thinking you got there.
Ethnicity doesn't necessarily imply race. Language, culture, religion, social experiences, mythology, symbols they use, rituals, ...
Physical appearance plays only a small factor.
>>
>>343052758
Can you even explain why his character is good without the petty jabs at literacy?

I found the character pretty neutered compared to his GZ appearance. He had the presence but no bite. The entire game he stands around gesticulating until its time for him to die. Thats not good character orchestration, its failing to deliver.
>>
>>343051314
he wanted to arm every single nation on earth with nukes so that the larger nations like America and Russia couldn't bully the smaller ones or try to destroy their cultures one way or another. he was basically a super dedicated nationalist.

Sahelanthropus was meant to create a scare and make all these smaller nations want nuclear arms because Russia had a super weapon. up until MGS2, the Metal Gear project was still a black ops secret few people really knew about.
>>
File: Snake shoots out a heli.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Snake shoots out a heli.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1080
>>343049590

A good lighting engine with parallax mapping will trump texture quality most of the time. Take this screenshot for example. Look how low quality the arm model is here. Most people don't notice during the cutscene though because first of all, the lighting engine is amazing. Secondly, most of the model and texture quality went into making the facial expressions look good, and that's mainly where people will be focusing. Thirdly, because focus was put on the lighting engine and character expression instead of textures, the game is super well optimized and runs smooth as butter, achieving 1080p 60fps on PS4 with very little visual impact from the PC version this screenshot is shown from barring some model LoD fuckery from certain distances. I'm sure someone will post the image of that idiot saying "The PS4 version has a soul, the PC version looks lifeless" that has that LoD problem in it with the pointy helmet. But otherwise it looks really good on 8th gen consoles for the resolution and framerate it runs at.

I'd go as far as to say that the Fox Engine wouldn't look half as good as it does without proper lighting setup. Because there's not a lot of deliberate lighting choices except the sun itself in your screenshot OP, it looks like ass. The good parts you are noticing are the shadows and the way that light is reflecting off the really low quality models and textures, so you "Can't make up your mind" if it looks good or not.

Frankly I'd rather devs took this approach to game engines more often. It's the reason that games like Doom 3 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory have have held up for a long time. Though it would never happen; Setting up deliberate lighting choices takes actual effort.
>>
>>343057857
This is what I was looking for, great post anon and thanks for the explanation
>>
For everything it does right graphically it does something else wrong.
You only have to look at the horrendous AO and DoF implementation in GZ to see that Kojipro didn't really know what they were doing.
>>
>>343057857
>most of the model and texture quality went into making the facial expressions look good, and that's mainly where people will be focusing
That's very characteristic of Japanese developers.
>>
>>343050260
He mutated the mgs formula to make it work with the shitty open world.
How is that "good mechanics" any day of the week?

Quite frankly, I think "A new breed of stealth!" is much more offensive than the regurgitated "missing link" bullshit.
>>
Good lighting, details and animations, subpar textures and models.
>>
>>343050464
how the fuck? MGS 1-4 story wise were mindblowing. Some of the most moving art I've ever witnessed.

MGSV the story is a complete mess. What's wrong wth you?
>>
>>343058740
Mechanics as in baseline controls and movement, overall stealth handling etc.

MGS4 has a similar story, good mechanics trapped in short segments and lots of cut-scenes

>>343058853
What do you mean by 'complete mess' people have different ideas on what makes MGSV bad and depending on your answer this convo can go several ways lol.

But like I said, cut content did the serious blows. On a conceptual level MGSV was hitting some interesting notes, but it never got the chance to fully develop unlike the other games. This point is accentuated when you consider GZ as part of the package like it was supposed to be originally. So much was cut its ridiculous. Kojima placed too much emphasis on the wrong things.
>>
>>343054676

"necessarily" being the key word in your post
>>
File: Splinter cell.jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Splinter cell.jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
>>343058393

No problem. To further demonstrate how important a good lighting engine is, here's a screenshot of Splinter Cell 1, a game from 2002 with simple .ini modifications. I don't know what modifications, this is a screenshot a friend uploaded. But there are no texture or model mods here.
>>
File: 1456555281058.png (213 KB, 540x785) Image search: [Google]
1456555281058.png
213 KB, 540x785
>>343050856
Pretty much this.
Well, actually the entire theme of REVENGE was really shittyly implemented. You're always being TOLD by other people that you want revenge and that you're steaming mad grrr, but you never really feel it for yourself. You never feel truly invested in the theme of the story, which makes playing the good samaritan way too easy.
>>
>>343059398
When you really look at it, reality has shitty textures. It's simply that light plays nicely with it. It needs to react nicely to changing light conditions more than looking good when uniformly lit.

But most devs really don't get this.
>>
>>343049590
Great gameplay.
Great visuals.
Great optimization.

Shit story.
Shit empty openworld.
>>
>>343059648
Witcher 3 is a good example of this, all the assets are really high quality, texture work is good and there's a ridiculous amount of tessellation everywhere so it should look amazing.
But the lighting is so flat everything looks really bad unless you really zoom in on the small details.
>>
>>343049590
its because you are a retard
>>
>>343050351
>are very bad.
people on this board really don't know what they are talking about

>muh open world
>muh lack of happy ending
>muh chapter 3

only true patricians realize this is actually one of the best game sin the series and one of the best games in this generation along with witcher 3 and bloodborne
>>
>>343059832
the gameplay's ok
the visuals are top notch, though it would've used some more variety
the optimization is so shit guards spawn behind your ass in FOBs which seemed bare enough in the first place
the story is so bad people rationalize IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BAD
open world was a terrible fucking mistake which made the controls have to bend over so it's enjoyable
>>
File: Doom3 2014-07-19 23-33-12-67.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Doom3 2014-07-19 23-33-12-67.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>343059648

Pretty much.
>>
>>343058710
No.
Literally all games have higher texture res and polycount on faces than the rest of the body.

Literally
every
game
>>
>>343052134
nothing
>>
Metal Gear Solid V looks great but you can really tell it's a last gen game.

The game has normal mapping up the ass. If you stop and look at stuff you realize how blocky everything is.
>>
File: 1453033542651.jpg (200 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453033542651.jpg
200 KB, 1920x1080
>>343059241
In the case of skull face's plan, it has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with language.
>>
File: 2016-02-12_00025.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-12_00025.jpg
670 KB, 1920x1080
It's okay in most areas
>>
File: 287700_20160325070151_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
287700_20160325070151_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I enjoyed most of my time with it. I thought the development times were asinine, and not being able to slap a suppressor on a gun until you have a gunsmith is pretty shitty for a supposed super soldier.

Is there a way to get the old gunsmith bug back, where you can put any mod on any weapon?
>>
>>343061031
There are mods now anon, in the face of which the gunsmith bug is smalltime.

>tfw sleep rocket launcher with 200 ammo
>>
>>343061214
Would you please link me to them? I want to slap a larger magazine to make it automatic, in increase barrel length to make it do more damage. I don't have that meme image.
>>
>>343061334
Shit is blocked at work, but look this way: http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/?
>>
>>343061214
goddamn cheating pcucks

this is why u don't deserve MGS
>>
>>343061589
That's not to be used online though anon, it's only offline. But it's a nice way to extend the length of a game.

Modders like myself are now onto adding new missions and objectives, which you console cucks will never get.
>>
File: 1453435402501.gif (428 KB, 250x176) Image search: [Google]
1453435402501.gif
428 KB, 250x176
>>343061031
>It's a cheating waifufag episode

>>343061589
Mods for increasing the difficulty and bringing more life to free roam are great though.
>>
File: 287700_20160313145722_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
287700_20160313145722_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>343061747
I am hurt, anon. I beat the game 100% without cheating at all, I just want to have fun with OP guns. Pouncing Harrier is cute.
>>
I'm not sure if the graphics are good but wasted on locations that consist only of deserts with a bunch of rocks and primitive buildings in them or if the graphics look good exactly because the only thing they have to render are deserts, rocks and a bunch of primitive buildings.
>>
>>343052098
>And then, there's this thing so controversial that it would have forced Kojima to leave the industry forever. It's not in the game, devs confirmed it, and they won't say what it was. We may never know what the story really was about.
It was Kaz hating on niggers.
>>
>>343061417
Doesn't seem to be on Nexus. Anyone else know of them?
>>
>>343062082
Epic.
>>
>>343052379
Yet it looks better than most games we have had this gen.
>>
>>343062172
Anon please, it's called "Weapon Customize Extension".
>>
>>343062247
Truly is
>>
File: 287700_20160324201953_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
287700_20160324201953_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>343062305
Thanks anon. This is going to be a lot of fun.
>>
>>343057015
THe English strain parasites were also part of his plan to enforce multipolarity on the world.

Though it may not make much sense in the cold war setting (where it was donimated by two powers), I think it's meant to speak to contemporary audiences who do live in an anglo-american dominated global culture. The removal of the English language today essentially breaks the cultural hegemony, the cheap nukes that Skull face provides provides the political power for small states to do so
>>
>>343049590
It's a great engine, it just has assets designed to run well on consoles.

>tfw Fox Engine is dead
>>
File: srs face snake-labeouf.jpg (177 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
srs face snake-labeouf.jpg
177 KB, 1024x768
>>343051314

The big boy metal gear was a red herring.

The parasites were truly the Metal Gear Solid V.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.