[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't even remember the last time we had a decent Steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 1409941450726.jpg (381 KB, 995x916) Image search: [Google]
1409941450726.jpg
381 KB, 995x916
I don't even remember the last time we had a decent Steam sale. When was it? 2 or 3 years ago? I miss camping for the 85-90% flash discounts
>>
>>343023531
when the sale actually had fun ways to earn cards

instead of just "watch your discovery queue and get a card"
>>
Steam sales have definitely gone down the tube.
I still bought a few games that I caught for 80%+ off though.

Currently Civ V Complete is 92% off, making it less than $3. That's a fucking hell of a deal.
>>
File: 20160628130827.jpg (367 KB, 641x488) Image search: [Google]
20160628130827.jpg
367 KB, 641x488
>>343023716
>>
>>343023846
That's really weird, anon. Try refreshing it, I literally JUST bought it for $3.29 immediately after posting that post.
>>
>>343023981

nope, it's been 12 bucks and has been for the last several sales
>>
>>343023646
i didn't mind that, but now I have to wait half a month before I can sell my cards because I didn't authenticate my steam with my phone, why is this a thing now?
>>
>>343023981
JUST being cucked by AAA in australia is all
>>
>Witcher 3 is the only game on my wishlist
>Game and season pass for $50
>Refuse to buy it
>Eternally waiting for goty version that comes with everything and is cheaper
>>
File: 1466821ea9[1].png (3 KB, 158x63) Image search: [Google]
1466821ea9[1].png
3 KB, 158x63
>>343024068
Strange, very strange. I can't take a snap of the store page because I already bought it, and I can't get the URL to load when incognito because it just redirects me to the store page.

This is all I can offer as my proof.
>>
Steam sale doesn't matter because it's not a game anymore.

A few years ago you earned achievements to get tickets to buy random prizes like TF2 hats or DLC. You turned coal into cool games. You found treasure.

And you know yeah those all stopped for various reasons I'm not gonna bother getting into but even after that, you had moments where you'd wait all day for the new sales to go up, or for a third of a day for the new flash sales to go up. Just seeing what new stuff you might see at a marked down price was a bit of a game unto itself.

But now neither of those happens. There's no games to play, last year there was a shitty clicker that did nothing and this year they can't even be bothered to make one of those. There's no special discounts, once the sales go up that's it for the next few days.

It's not an adventure, it's just a sale.
>>
>>343024092

>why is this a thing now?

Because retards got scammed out of their shit, so they implemented extra security.

Also, last summer sale's cookie-clicker thing was probably the last time I've seen effort put into a seasonal sale.
>>
>>343024238

if your total was 40, maybe it was a different game to begin with. my discount is 92%, but it's obviously a higher starting price.
>>
>>343023981
>>343024068
>>343024238

I believe the full price is 10-12 bucks, but it is a dynamic bundle that only charges for what you dont have.
>>
>>343024912

Full price with 92% discount*
>>
Here's what steam can do to bring back flash sales AND make devs happy
>devs sad because whenever a flash sale happens, their games are refunded and brought again for cheaper
>steam takes flash sales away making devs happy but players unhappy
>literally all they needed to do was not issue out any refunds until after the sale is over
>people can't abuse the system
>devs happy for money
>players happy for flash sales again
>>
>>343024239

I think if you observe this small, seemingly insignificant change, you'll see that it reflects Valve's direction as a company. It used to be about giving the player what they want, now it's all about money.

I first saw the change with Left 4 Dead. It was a very bare game. It reused lots of assets from HL2 and CSS, and felt more like a high-end mod than a standalone game. It was promised that it would grow immensely in content as time went by. When Left 4 Dead 2 was announced - all while everyone was waiting for more content for L4D - I realized that Valve had changed in its goals. There would be no more "Orange Boxes" or content packed games made with heart. The player was no longer the focus. The focus was to maximize profits.

Valve became the publisher. They became the company that saw the work of others, and tried to capabilities on them.

I'm not saying they're evil, or they're as bad as EA, I'm simply saying that they'd rather sit back and let others do work for them while they rake in the doe. The days of being a good game developer are long gone. Those people are gone.
>>
>>343025113
I'm fine without flash sales, I can't see them all since I have a job and other shit to do.
The discounts this time around are shit though.
>>
>>343025113

or maybe if a dev is gonna be a pissy little faggot over flash sales don't let your game get put on that list at all

like I won't pretend to know exactly how a steam sale works but I'm pretty sure anything that gets front page exposure, at least in the old sales where front page meant it was at an even steeper discount than normal, there's a deal going on there.

just don't play ball when valve comes knocking for more flash sales if you can't handle the fact that people will naturally want to pay that price instead of whatever it's normally discounted at.
>>
>>343024413
The worst thing about that is the extra step locks you out of your whole account if you don't have access to a smart phone. When I first switched it on I would boot Steam, enter my password, realize my phone was in another room, and just do something else instead. I only open my Steam library like once a week on average now and shitpost or play Bnet games instead.
>>
>>343023531
Try buying products at prices that you think are fair and not at percentages.

Since game sales are mostly bathtub curves, they could increase the prices a month after release to some arbitrarily high point, and then discount them 90% during sales.
>>
>>343026494
I have never seen this on steam games.
>>
>>343027390

Happened last year with GTA V

Rockstar inflated the price temporarily before the summer sale so that it was 80USD reduced 25% to 60USD.
>>
>>343027529
game is dead now
>>
>>343027529
That was merely the bundle with fake money you couldn't refund which extremely jewish of them but I wouldn't say the price inflated. They merely ignored the base game and used the fake money bundle as a jew discount.
>>
>>343027575

>currently playing: 31,852

I don't like the game, but it's less dead than most games.
>>
>>343025315
>My job keeps me busy for a whole 16 hours!

Not this shit again. I would check the steam app while on break at work back when they did flash sales. Takes no time at all
>>
>>343024912
This. It's 92 cents for me because I'm only missing one piece of dlc.
>>
>>343023531

The last really great one I remember was the winter 2009 sale, I got STALEKR: SoC for two dollars. Guess the prices don't go so low anymore because they already know that everyone's addicted to the sales and will buy games for higher prices now.
>>
>>343027529
Bethesda did this with Skyrim for this sale. They were called out by a gaming site.
>>
>>343028128
Not that guy and never had the problem either, but believe it or not some jobs do keep you busy and unable to take a phone break to browse through some crappy mobile app.
>>
>>343023531

>I miss having to check steam at least 3 times a day and playing along with anti-consumer artificial scarcity tactics.

Now we have refunds on steam, finally catching up to normal customer rights. Which is better?
>>
>>343025264

>The days of being a good game developer are long gone. Those people are gone.

It's so sad, man.
>>
>>343024167
Fucking same here. Also waiting on cheap GOTY versions of FO4 and GTAV, gonna be waiting for a long ass time.
>>
File: plutia.png (133 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
plutia.png
133 KB, 300x300
>>343023531

>Rance on Steam

You made me look you cheeky fuck.
>>
>>343026460

there are desktop authenticators, you can go buy a $20 tablet from a store, or even use bluestacks.

You're just being lazy for the sake of complaining.
>>
>>343028661
the other games don't even have english titles, you really fell for that?
>>
>>343028615
I went ahead and got FO4, because the dlcs they are making for it are dogshit and not worth waiting for or spending any money on.
>>
File: 1318237252677.png (239 KB, 637x352) Image search: [Google]
1318237252677.png
239 KB, 637x352
>>343023531
>Waiting on sale
>Go to work
>Sale happens, miss sale

Yea I dont miss flash sales, yea its less exciting having everything on sale at once, but overall its better.....Not that I buy anything anymore since I have everything I want on steam
>>
>>343025264

>want to do fun stuff for sales
>russians keep committing literal fraud and credit card scamming for free games and items
>the only way to stop this is to not give shit away for sales.
>>
Are there any good Zelda clones on Steam?
>>
File: 56243808_p6.png (382 KB, 860x1214) Image search: [Google]
56243808_p6.png
382 KB, 860x1214
I already had everything I wanted.
>>
>>343023646
>cards
>not playing stupid shit for the coal and crafting it for free games
>>
>I'm children with too much time on my hand!

Flash sales lover in nutshell.
>>
>>343028898
Okay sure, but what about daily deals?
>>
>>343024912
This.
It only charged me 82c for 2 of the DLCs because I have the rest.
>>
i can live without flash and dailies but at least try to make a fun meta
>>
When was the last good sale? 2011?
>>
>>343028506

I never needed to refund my games, so I guess they're worse off, since I'm buying even less than I used to.

I remember getting SS3 for less than $3 on flash combined with some coupon thing, but god knows shit like that isn't going to happen again thanks to refunds more or less killing any incentive to drop prices.
>>
i kind of feel ripped off with this sale.
Like they didn't even try this time.
It's just "here are some sales. they last all 2 weeks so take your time"
>>
>>343029071
Nah, I'm 26 and even I think you're a faggot for hating flash sales. Either way, aren't you a little old to be playing video games faggot? Of course the sales are geared towards kids... they're the ones who are supposed to be playing.
>>
>>343029678

Only hope we have is that the cards might have clues, since they're all "everything is fine" and "You had one job" and so on. Maybe they know it's a shit sale and are holding out for something interesting, but that's just wishful thinking.
>>
>>343029937
the Christmas Sale at least had a comic.

This sale is just garbage, I haven't even bothered looking at the cards, I just sell them
>>
>>343029937
they already did that last year with the winter sale arg that they literally made up in a day or two because people were so desperate for some sort of meta.
>>
>>343025113
Doesn't the refund thing have to do with laws and shit?

So basically you're saying ignore the laws and hope they don't get sued just to have flash sales.
>>
>>343030039
I can't even bother selling them because I have to wait 15 fucking days to post any sales.
Fuck this shit Valve, I've had my account for 10 fucking years.
>>
>>343027529
Dayz does this all the time but permanently.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.