[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>LoZ: Most non-linear in The series. Utterly open with only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: zelda_merchant.jpg (62 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
zelda_merchant.jpg
62 KB, 500x320
>LoZ: Most non-linear in The series. Utterly open with only a handful of things blocking you
>AoL: You can freely explore the over-world without entering half the dungeons that are accessible to you initially and most items/techniques are optional
>LttP: Free dungeon order within each plot segment
>LA: the sole game here that is actually mostly linear in order of completion. Still encourages significant exploration
>OoT: has some of the most creative out of order exploration in the series.
>MM: Mostly side content, which is naturally freeform

Why do some people believe that Zelda games were the norm in the series? How did this ever come about?
>>
File: 1431809725546.jpg (6 KB, 84x142) Image search: [Google]
1431809725546.jpg
6 KB, 84x142
>Why do some people believe that Zelda games were the norm in the series?
I know what you're talking about but this reply was ordained.
>>
File: Zelda[1].png (1 MB, 940x545) Image search: [Google]
Zelda[1].png
1 MB, 940x545
breath of the wild looks like you can beat it in any order you want

all those possible combinations from the different gear + the physics engine...

it's basically a modern day 3d NES zelda
>>
>>343019136
Yeah, I typed linear but deleted it in editing
>>
>>343018798
>can't leave kokiri without doing deku tree
>prevented from reaching zora's domain without bombs and zelda's lullaby
>can't do forest temple without hookshot
>can't do shadow temple before doing forest, fire, and water temples
Really at the end of the day you can do forest/water/fire in any order, and shadow/spirit in either order, but that's pretty damn linear compared to LTTP
>>
>>343019647
It's not just the dungeon linearity in OOT. It's also what you need that matters. The dungeons are just a gate, but in OoT the entire world is a dungeon in a sense.

Do you get Fire Arrows or Din's Fire to get through X puzzle? Farore's Wind or use the Scarecrow's Song? Bombs or Bombchu? And the Gerudo's Fortress makes you choose between Hookshot, Arrows, and Iron Boots, or Hookshot, and Iron Boots plus Megaton Hammer to complete it. And that's without the complication that you can misuse the keys and have to come back if you do.

ALttP is more free in the overworld, but OoT beats it out in dungeon nonlinearity.
>>
>>343019647
>but that's pretty damn linear compared to LTTP

I keep hearing people say this but I don't know enough about the game's structure to say that this is true. The child section is excessively linear, but in OoT you can do things like travel to the desert as soon as you become an adult by getting Epona before doing anything else. I'm not aware of what LttP does that would make it actually more non-linear in any meaningful way; as far as I know it is just as gated and the opening section locks you in just as much as OoT's does.
>>
>>343018798
Explain this.
>>
>>343019647

>you can do forest/water/fire in any order

Really? How exactly do you do that?
>>
>>343023453
Glitches nigga.
>>
>>343023996
By going to the dungeon and doing it?
>>
>>343023996
Are you retarded? Literally just go to whichever one you want, idiot.
>>
>>343024380
>>343024442

Don't you need the items from the previous dungeon to get through the next one?
>>
>>343023996
You get the Hookshot, and the go where you want.

None of those temples require the bow. Although, the Water Temple almost does. You just need to get good and you can do it though. This is how (you can use Farore's Wind instead of saving and quitting).
>>
>>343024757

Thanks
>>
>>343024139
That does not count.
>>
>>343024715
Nothing in the Water Temple needs the Hammer, nothing in the Fire Temple needs the Longshot. Nothing in Shadow needs the Mirror Shield, and nothing in Spirit needs the Hover Boots.

>>343019647
>Really at the end of the day you can do forest/water/fire in any order, and shadow/spirit in either order, but that's pretty damn linear compared to LTTP
LTTP's structure is the exact same, assuming you do not break excessively.

Child/Light World are presumed to be three dungeons, completely Linear.

You must do Forest first, and you must do Palace of Darkness First, as you need the Hookshot/Bow and Hammer to progress.

You can do Fire/Water in either order, and you can do Swamp/Thieves/Woods in any order. You cannot progress until you have the items from these dungeons (need Mitt/Hookshot/Fire Rod in Ice, need Mitt/Hook in Mire).

You can do Shadow/Spirit in either order, and you can do Ice/Mire in either order.

You have to do Turtle Rock after Mire. You have to do Ganon's Tower in both games at the end.

LTTP can be broken moreso than OOT, especially with easy tech like bomb jumping in Ice, but it's a very similar structure.
>>
>>343025615

Couldn't you do 5/6 earlier than 2/3/4 so that you could get the golden sword/titan's mitt early too? IIRC you could get the super bombs/silver arrows like this too right?
>>
>>343025897
You need the Titan's Mitt (4) to enter Ice (5) and Mire (6) at all since the warps to get into their areas are under black rocks and closed off from the world. If you don't bomb jump, you need Hookshot (2) to get through Ice Palace.

You also need Tempered Sword (which needs Mitt) to get the Golden Sword.
>>
>>343026380
Theoretically you can do Woods (4) later if you get Bombos instead of Fire Rod, as you need either Bombos or Fire Rod to defeat the ice enemy immediately at the start, as well as Kholdstare.

However there is a glitch where the Golden Sword does no damage to Mothula (Skull Boss), so it's advised to not get GS before Skull.
>>
>>343026380

So I could just do 1 < 4 (Mitt) < 5 < 6 < 2 < 3 < 4 (The rest) < 7 < 8

?
>>
>>343019136
SHAME!
>>
>>343024715
Fire temple requires the goron tunic(goron city), I guess
Water temple requires hookshot(dampe) and iron boots(ice cavern), you really don't need the zora tunic at all
Forest temple requires hookshot(dampe)
>>
>>343025393
I'm OP and I'm not even talking about glitches. You can completely skip the Well or do it immediately on being able to return to being a child, do the Ice Cavern whenever, get the longshot without setting foot in the forest or fire temples, do Spirit before Fire, not get the fire arrows at all etc.
>>
>>343026671
If you bomb jump to skip half the ice palace (and thus don't need Hookshot), sure. That's no different than skipping around in OOT though where you could go get the items in dungeons and move on without finishing them. Or bomb jump through stuff to skip "required" things (there's a "required" hookshot spot in Mire too thats easily skippable). Hell, you could get the Hammer from 1 and go on your merry way. You could do stuff like that in most Zelda games, you can skip around in MM as well.

There's also no reason to not complete Thieves Town when you get the Mitt. Blind takes flat damage from all types of swords and you get the Mitt right at the end of the dungeon.
>>
>>343019521
modern day 3d NES Zelda is more like Dark Souls.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.