[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As an amateur game developer, how do I keep players who are bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: usa_4hex.png (319 KB, 1489x1001) Image search: [Google]
usa_4hex.png
319 KB, 1489x1001
As an amateur game developer, how do I keep players who are bad at videogames from playing my game?

Specifically I'd like ideas on how to shame them into giving up
>>
>>343006418
Have the fight against a "shadow of yourself" that just copies your movements at close range, and barrages you with ranged attacks at a distance.
>>
start the game with agressive as fuck enemies
force them to get gud proper right away, if they can't do it they'll give up
>>
Oh look it's this autist again
>>
Solid business plan, op
>>
advertise the game as being brutal "you will die" shit

then the casuals wont start moaning that its too hard "therefore its shit"
>>
>>343006418
Make an easy first level, but a hard second level
>>
>>343006418

>discourages bad people from playing the game

>instead of making the game challenging and rewarding

looks like you are all ready to make a pretentious piece of shit
>>
If they don't beat the first level (make it difficult) they can only continue in a child mode that is all tutorials and step by step instructions. Imagine if Navi gave you the LISTEN for every single battle and task the rest of the game.
>>
>>343006418
is that a heat map of bad gamers?
>>
>>343006418
why? why would you deliberately want to drive people away from your game?

I feel like you can't really drive "bad players" away without resorting to cheap "lol i troll u" design, such as what was mentioned here >>343006745 and >>343007002. If you make a game where the challenge is high, but fair (good luck with that) I imagine most players would continue trying to get it, and thus if you did shame them, they'd think you were the "asshole."
>>
File: 1435101364349.png (149 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1435101364349.png
149 KB, 396x385
>>343006418
>bad at videogames

People are not really bad a vidya as much as they are bad at genres of viyda

So good luck with your inane and litlery impssaable request

faggot

also the fact you couldn't figger this out for yourself means you should just give up on making game. If you have a skill join a studio, other than that you will never make it For realizeze[\spoiler]
>>
>>343006418

1. make the graphics shit (and don't ever use first person cams)
2. if the graphics are good, don't use them in promos
3. use google's marketing to your best advantage: only advertise the game in places where /tg/ fags congregate
4. remember that most "players who are bad at videogames" are literal children, so age-gate your game with an M or AO rating (can be done with a single dick pic in the credits or something similarly stupid)
5. if hipsters like your game then DMCA the shit out of any positive review you can find
>>
>>343007548
No it's a bad map of gamers in heat.
>>
>>343006418
say you hate all trannies and darkies on your Twitter just before you release the game
>>
release it as a PSP exclusive
>>
>>343007518
I like this one a lot. Maybe before they continue that way also I would give them the opportunity to delete the game and get a refund.

>>343007674
Some ideas to think about here, for sure age-gating will help
>>
>>343006418
>Hawaii, Utah, Wisconson, Minnesota, Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Connecticut are all dicks.
fitting.
>>
>>343007759
Make players agree to this in an EULA-style agreement before the game will install.
>>
>>343007674
>shit graphics
That didnt stop undertale
>>
>>343007634
Your post is terrible
>>
>>343008061
>undertale
>hard
pick one.
>>
>>343008229
>talking about graphics
>b-but it's not a hard game
Not what we were talking about at all autist
>>
>>343006418
Why is AK so tiny
>>
Make it very complex from the beginning. Overwhelm them with locations and things to do as well, but have a timer counting down for a main quest. You could also have lots of micromanagement, like cold, fatigue, and hunger meters to make traveling a costly chore.
>>
Just make it consistently difficult. Make it resemble something like the early castlevanias where it's just consistently hard
>>
>>343007271
>See, Souls games
Thats probably the last thing he'd want to do.

>>343008061
>See, muh stylization
Pixels are cool amirightguys

>>343006418
Complexity is key. But that adds a variety of developmental issues so the next best thing is to make things as skill based as possible with little "level scaling" type stuff. That way bad players stay shit, get shit on by good players, get fed up, and quit.

Although I don't really know why you'd want to miss out on a sale.
>>
Make it difficult.

That's literally it. If you don't give an easy mode or Souls style cop outs(co-op) casuals just won't play it. I don't see what's so difficult about this.

As an added bonus, require the player to read some stuff to progress past the first level. You don't have to have any more reading for the rest of the game but a page or two of text will scare most casuals right the fuck off.
>>
>>343006418
Make the game so hard that casuals won't want to play.

You're an ass if you nuke them during the intro, but anything past the intro and world 1 are fair game.
>>
>>343009809
>Although I don't really know why you'd want to miss out on a sale.

blah blah blah something about normies blah blah blah something about the death of the gaming industry blah blah blah I'm jaded
>>
>>343006418
fill your game wear of cringe worthy shit like trenchcoats and fedoras as armor, and make every enemy some type of zombie.

Oh yeah and have the plot be nonsensical bullshit that confuses and frustrates the player.
>>
>>343009954
Reddit would eat that shit up.

Much better to have weeb shit and neo nazism everywhere. Casuals hate that shit.
>>
>>343006418
why though?
>>
>>343011142
I don't want players who are bad at videogames to play my game. Do you invite slobbering retards into your home? It's not exactly the same but it's somewhat close to how I feel. Not that strange really.
>>
>>343011393
>I want less money
buddy if I owned a business I'd let in as many paying customers in as possible, regardless of if they're retards or not
>>
>>343011393
No, but this is your work we're talking about not your home. And most people deal with slobbering retards all day long. In fact the best way to deal with them is by taking their money.
>>
>>343011393
What does that even mean? I mean just because someone is say, bad at your game doesn't mean they're bad at all games. How do you even expect to measure how "good" someone is at a game?
>>
To discourage retards, you just need to make your game as un fun as possible. Make tedious repetition a mechanic, make the music ear grating and discordant, make the graphics look like someone shit out dev art in mspaint. Make the difficulty curve look more like a brick wall than a gentle hill. These are the basics of how to filter retards out of your game.

Alternatively, make the game you want to make while ignoring any statements that retards make, and pretending they aren't playing your game
>>
>>343012479
>make a shitty game
>>
>>343011618
>>343012000
>>343012472

You're not understanding what I'm trying to do here. Having someone playing my game badly physically pains me, and I would like to minimize that pain by discouraging people who are bad at my game from playing it.
>>
>>343012836
so you have autism, gotcha
>>
>>343012676
Well, he asked how to get retards to stop playing his game, it just makes no-one else able to play it
>>
Make it complicated, or aat least make it seem complicated. Don't advertise the game at all and just let a niche for it develop. That's what dwarf fortress did
>>
>>343012836
not OP but actually that's about right. Wouldn't say physically pains but more of a disgusted feeling.
>>
>>343006418
Regular difficulty, with no hand-holding? Gameplay variety? Bottle neck mechanics?

Artificial difficulty is dumb, and might unexpectedly cause more normies to play. For example the souls series is hard and popular for it. But still isn't bogged down by bullshit mechanics. If you make it too unfairly hard, no one will play your game.
>>
It doesn't matter, most likely nobody will ever play your game anyway
>>
It's a well-guarded secret that most devs really can't stand control-chewing retards playing their games. Most take the money with a fake smile but honestly we'd be fine if they picked up a different hobby like cleaning toilets.
>>
Mostly this
>>343012479
>>343013105
>>343013275

Make the game's rules difficult to learn in addition to maintaining a high difficultly.

If the game's difficulty is too high but the rules are easy to understand, then it might become a meme that attracts all sorts of redditors and youtube kiddies that you don't want shitting up the community.

Pander to a niche audience such that the only people who will play the game are those with enough interest and dedication to play it properly.
>>
>>343012836
But how are you going to know if the people playing your game are shit or not?
>>
File: dorf.png (109 KB, 856x540) Image search: [Google]
dorf.png
109 KB, 856x540
>>343006418
ASCII graphics motherfucker
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.