[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is metroid prime still worth playing today or is it the kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91
File: metroid prime.jpg (1 MB, 1542x2149) Image search: [Google]
metroid prime.jpg
1 MB, 1542x2149
Is metroid prime still worth playing today or is it the kind of work that's well rated because it was good for its time?
>>
It's an amazing game that everyone should play at least once.
>>
>>343006207
Still good today, not many games of its kind.
>>
Metroid Prime is a perfect transition from 2D to 3D for the Metroid series.
>>
>>343006207
Controls are a little eh but still a great game.
>>
It's still a masterpiece.
>>
I actually played this game about a year ago and it still holds up. A great 3D exploration game with a bunch of neat puzzles in the game. Fuck the Chozo puzzle pieces though.
>>
Is it any different on that trilogy collection vs the original gamecube? I played a bit of the original and the tank controls were a bit offputting.
>>
>>343006207
I'm playing it for the first time on muh Wii, so I'll find out soon.
>>
if they made an HD remaster of this i might buy a Wii U
>>
>>343006617
Well, at least you can pick up a bunch of them early unlike the Temple Keys in Prime 2... God, fuck that McGuffin hunt.
>>
>>343006207
Coming from the 2D games the gameplay was shit. If you're big into the Space Pirate lore its probably better I guess
>>
It's probably top 3 for best games of all time.
>>
Anybody else really love morph ball sections? I think I might be a descendant of a space-pirate scientist or something.
>>
>>343006814
What exactly what shit? I felt like the combat, power-ups, and exploration were handled extremely well. The only thing that wasn't transferred over were all the 2D acrobatics - but those would be horribly broken in 3D.
>>
>>343006795
At least some of the temple keys in Prime 2 requires you to use new functions of the Light Suit, you don't do anything new with the chozo artifact
>>
>>343006207
Still the best game in existence tbqh.
>>
>>343006207
Game did not age at all, worth it 100%.
>>
>>343007069
>no "2D acrobatics"
>still thinks "combat, power-ups, and exploration" were fine without that aspect

Samus needs to be fast and acrobatic to do all those things efficiently, except maybe the powerups but even then shinesparking and doing morph ball tricks is fun as hell

My biggest gripe is the boss combat that's strictly "lock on and strafe while firing X ammo"
>>
>>343006207
>Other M killed your chance to have another Metroid game
>>
The weird lock-on based controls are by far the worst part, pick up the Wii version if you can.
>>
If you like the atmosphere and sense of exploration, you are gonna love it.

I still play it, at least once a year.
>>
it's still an incredible game. i recently replayed the trilogy, really hard to put down.
>>
>>343006814
2D combat wasn't that great to begin with. It was faster but speed =/= quality.
>>
>>343006720
i had never played the prime games till i bought the trilogy. I can't imagine having to play it with a GCN controller, but then again, I'm the only person ever who was fine with FPS games using the wiimote and nunchuk combo.
>>
>>343007263
There's one you'll need the Phazon suit to get, but that's about it.
>>
>>343007797
I find the game very maneauverable. I can rush into it and do all sorts of crazy jumps to skip things, and use the lock on feature to change trajectory in mid-air. I'm almost always jumping when I play it, and it feels fast and responsive like moving my limbs.

That might be because I played and still play this game a fucking lot for years though.
>>
>>343006720
You can now aim with the wiimote in addition to locking on.

There are a couple graphical effects missing for some reason (ripples when shooting water, frozen arm cannon while charging ice beam), but on the flipside, you get native widescreen support.
>>
>>343008032
The people saying 2D is fast have to be reminded Fusion wasn't a thing when this was made. Super was very slow and stiff.
>>
>>343008032
the 2D combat in ZM and Fusion was godtier and so were its bosses, especially Fusion. I refuse to believe an actual Metroid fan would disregard that
>>
>>343008492
It was, especially the jumping, but it was still technically faster than Prime. Giving credit where credit is due, even if it doesn't matter much.
>>
>>343006207
If you liked the sidescollers you'll hate Prime. It is a linear piece of shit FPS with a bunch of shitty forced story segments.
>>
>>343006795
prime 2 temple keys were cool as fuck because of the lore associated with them and the key bearers

>Let this be the final testament of warrior C-Rch. I have no more shells for my weapons. For the enemy, I have naught but the blade and fist. Let them come. They wait in the works, hissing and slithering like beasts. Let them. When my war cry comes, there will be a dread, final reckoning. Come forth, hated enemy. Let there be an end!
>>
>>343006207
If you have a Wii U then you should pick up a copy of the Trilogy, iirc it's on sale and 100% worth it.

I played the Trilogy on the Wii U before I played the original (on an emulator) and I definitely prefer the wii remotes for aiming, they just feel so much more intuitive than using a regular controller.
>>
>>343008669
I agree but its worth pointing out that even though Fusion was linear, it had some scary-as-shit moments that made the player go "oh God, what the fuck is happening"

Zero Mission had a few of those moments but was less linear, so it was an even trade IMO
>>
>>343008529
I didn't say they weren't fun, I challenged the implication that speed inherently makes a game's combat more enjoyable. Due to the 3D arenas in the Primes, you have much more intricate use of spacing and cover which the 2D games lack. 2D Metroids are more "arcadey." Again, not a bad thing, I'll take Burnout over Gran Turismo any day, but they both have different strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>343008646
Sure, there's Space jump, Shinespark and wall jumping. But taking into account just overall moving and jumping, I can't say Prime feels slower.
>>
>>343008959
Fusion sucked honestly. Wouldn't recommend it to anybody unless they wanted more Metroid and Prime was the only other option besides ROM hacks.
>>
>>343009047
>I didn't say they weren't fun
>2D combat wasn't that great to begin with
>>
>>343009240
You're right, my bad. I was thinking of Super at the time.
>>
>>343006207
No I still consider it one of the best single player FPS ever made and that's coming from someone who plays A LOT of single player fps on PC.
>>
File: 1447400591331.jpg (22 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
1447400591331.jpg
22 KB, 400x301
>>343007069
>>343007797

honest to fucking god i cant remember a moment when super was remotely fast paced without the Speed Booster involved. frankly i think they are the same: slow, methodical exploratory games that require pacing and observation.

i believe that both prime and super are great games for the exact same reasons. fight me fuckers
>>
>>343006207
Controls are a bit whatever but the game is amazing to this day.
>>
>people complaining about the controls

What. Play the Wii version. It's literally the only game series that used the Wii controller well.
>>
>>343009561
I would honestly play any 2D Metroid game for the gameplay over Super. It has some great boss fights and cinematic moments but it is uncomfortable as fuck.

At least with NEStroid and RoS you have the artificial difficulty of old hardware that makes things more interesting.
>>
>>343009157
fusion had better mechanics and tighter gameplay, but at the cost of exploration and flexibility. honestly just remake super with fusions engine and mechanics.
>>
File: residentevil4mcopy[1].jpg (154 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
residentevil4mcopy[1].jpg
154 KB, 356x500
>>343009732
It kinda broke the game but it was still fun
>>
>>343009732
I hate wagglin' probably more than I hate tanky controls
>>
I know everyone here has sucked its dick enough already but it's one of my favorite games ever made so fucking yes play the nigger shit out of it

don't bother with echoes though that shit was so tedious I couldn't finish it
>>
>>343009859
Zero Mission exists, anon. Although I would like to see those great moments from Super without having to deal with its physics
>>
>>343009927
Some people love Echoes, some even more than Prime. I want a bit of what they're smoking.
>>
>>343010082
Probably like it since Prime is piss easy
>>
>>343010160
>difficulty makes a game good
>>
Quick

Prime 1 or echoes?
>>
>>343010216
holds the attention better and is more entertaining
>>
>>343009732
lots of games use the pointer controls
>>
>>343010292
don't know what you're asking. in answer to the question "Which of these games is Metroid Prime 2: Echoes", the answer is of course Echoes.
>>
>>343006792
dont give nintendo any ideas
>>
>>343010292
Prime, Wii version.

Echoes is repetitive and have a lot of useless backtracking.
>>
>>343010315
I guess if you ignore the shitty environments minus one, tedious and even shittier looking Dark World, and lame beam duality, and focus solely on things doing more damage to you, then sure, Prime 2 is great. For the record, though, I don't remember having much trouble in Echoes, except with staying awake. And yes, I played it on GC so Boost Guardian wasn't nerfed.
>>
>>343010082
It's weird. I didn't enjoy echos more than prime, and yeah, it got tedious as hell near the end, but it's the one I want to replay when I think back on the series.
>>
>>343010160
it depends, some spots in prime really test how good you are at making what you have last, especially with the phazon mines, echos tends to be a "get suddenly buttfucked by something you wernt ready for" because of how the dark world and ammo mechanics work.
>>
>>343010512
they all have useless backtracking
>>
>>343010315
>every environment is bland ruins or black blob shit world where you stand in bubbles every 5 steps
>half the enemies are black blob faggots and half the bosses are bigger black blob faggots
>gameplay consists of hitting a dead end, backtracking to a portal to switch to negro world, then backtracking through bubbles back to where you were to progress
>sorry if you get lost and have to do it all over again though because everything looks the fucking same lmao eat a dick video games are work nigger
>holds the attention better and is more entertaining

HMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD POINT ANON

I dropped it before I even got the ipod suit fuck that game jesus christ
>>
>>343006207
it's awful
>>
>>343006207
Yes
>>
File: l4QqogP.gif (2 MB, 357x238) Image search: [Google]
l4QqogP.gif
2 MB, 357x238
>>343010315
>>343011283
oh wait how could I forget about BEAM AMMO

FUCKING

BEAM

AMMO
>>
>>343010082
Menus in Echoes were GOAT
>>
Metroid Prime is a game I always put in my top 5 or 10 favorite games of all time yet I haven't played it in probably 7 or 8 years... Urge to replay rising.
>>
>>343011676
Every Prime had amazing menus and even better music. Best menus in all gaming.
>>
>>343011680
That's the ideal way to replay because Metroid is exploration:the series and now you don't have everything memorized.
>>
>>343011580
even in the corrupted varia suit she can still find time to feed her bulimia and keep her body looking fantastic
>>
Prime is still great if not a bit slow for modern standards. The Trilogy controls on the Wii help speed it up a bit.
>>
File: 1466105601838.gif (212 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1466105601838.gif
212 KB, 500x375
>>343010705
echoes is to prime as majoras mask is to OOT, its got extra mechanics that change how some of the game is tackled and structured, but its not for everyone. also i can imagine why you would think its boring, or have trouble engaging you, as you need to be more aware and active minded to progress through the game.
>>343011580
you know, i remember hating it initially, but on a recent run it wasnt as bad, especially considering the super missile is still an amazing plan b. although i did make sure to get all the ammo boosters as soon as i conveniently could.
>>
>>343011283
I've beaten the game twice yet conced you are right on every point. The game is a huge chore until you get the dark suit and can somewhat tank the dark world
>>
>>343011782
2 had the 3D 'tilt the option you want at the screen' menu, though. I was sad they dropped it for 3.
>>
Easily one of the best games I've ever played, but the controls for both the gc and wii just feel like aids to me after so many years.

Just give me an HD rerelease of the trilogy with dual analog controls while still having the lock-on mechanic and we're golden.
>>
>>343010292

Both.

Prime for the World ( Phendrana, Magmoore) and the feeling of Super Metroid but in 3-D.

Echos for the slight difficulty? (It's still not hard but its not super easy) Also the music, atmosphere and believe-ability of the world was the best the series ever offered in my opinion.

Both for the logs and story. Reading the space pirate shit in Prime was amazing and hilarious. And in Echos the story of the Luminoth and Ing was fascinating.
>>
>>343012160
i hated that. just let me get to the fucking menu item
>>
>>343011935
Everyone give it shit for motion controls but holy hell I am never going back to GC controls.
>>
>>343006207

Super came first and it was a better game in every regard.
>>
>>343012349
this is a thread about metroid prime though
>>
>>343006207
Metroid Prime is legit one of the greatest games of all time. Perfect pacing, perfect boss fights, perfect soundtrack, perfect exploring, perfect everything.

Whereas you can look back at some older games and say "Ah, they didn't age well", you can go back and play Metroid Prime and still be wondering "How the fuck did they make a game like this with the technology at the time?"

I forgot the site, but a review when it released said it best: "It's like the game fell out a warphole 5 years in the future".

While I wouldn't call it my favorite game ever (New Vegas), it's one of the few games I can look at and say "Damn, there's nothing wrong with it".

I'd say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is another one.
>>
>>343012067
>as you need to be more aware and active minded to progress through the game.
You need to not get sick of sand, the color purple, and samey-looking blob enemies.
>>
>>343006207
I think that's hard to say. At the time, the atmospheric music, the highly detailed HUD, the particle effects on screen when you stood under waterfalls or looked up at the rain, all of that just blew me away.
I never found the controls awkward, the game was designed around lock-on combat, so fighting most enemies is like bullfighting, there aren't headshots or anything. The platforming can feel a little awkward but there isn't a whole lot of it.
"muh immersion" is a very real and very subjective factor. If it doesn't do anything for you once you get past the first space station area then you can probably safely drop it. Give it an honest try though, I think it's stellar.
>>
>>343012739
>I forgot the site, but a review when it released said it best: "It's like the game fell out a warphole 5 years in the future".
EGM. Greatest print mag ever. The guy who wrote that review now works at 8-4.
>>
File: 515185490.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
515185490.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>343006207
I started playing the game for the first time last week and I'm having a blast, so comfy and relaxing.
>>
>>343006795
>God, fuck that McGuffin hunt.
That isn't what a McGuffin is anon.
>>
>>343012739
I wish I loved New Vegas as much as everyone else seems to. I loved Fallout 2 dearly but New Vegas just filled me with the same ennui that every Fallout 3 and Skyrim did. I installed Project Nevada and a few other mods I think but I never got through it.
>>
>>343012927
so you only made it to agon wastes? i mean i know it takes a bit due to the introduction of so many core mechanics but still, you really must have a short attention span.
>>
>>343013158
If it ain't your cup of tea it ain't your cup. There's a reason I said New Vegas was my favorite but not perfect. The game is far from perfect. Still love it though.
>>
>>343013274
>>343013158
nv is better for preplanned roleplay really.
>>
>>343013048
that forced widescreen with the mismatched HUD is triggering the fuck out of me
>>
considering that Dolphin 5.0 dropped I will try to play it on my videocard-less rig

I always wanted to play it but my dad bought me a PS2 (good decision though) and I never got invited to play it on my friend's house
>>
>>343013048
this looks like ass
>>
>>343013048
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE
This fucking music will always take me back to Christmas of 2002. Just playing Melee, Animal Crossing, and this. I think that was one of the few Christmas's where it actually snowed on Christmas day in our family. I also remember watching Spongebob on dvd which was a new thing for me at the time. Kids today probably don't even bother with physical media.
>>
>>343013409
There is a mod to adjust the HUD, but i didn't want to install it, I doesn't bother me.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ar-code-to-disable-clipping-in-metroid-prime-1-2?pid=370683#pid370683

>>343013559
Why? :)
>>
>>343013736
for the reason the other guy said
>>
>>343013561
nice blog post
>>
>>343013245
I beat the game dude, two of the four worlds being sandy isn't good. Worst part is, neither of them is the worst world in the game.
>>
>>343013954
I thought about deleting that post for being too self indulgent but whatever, half this board is frogposting feels threads anyway.
>>
>>343013865
Like I said in the previous post, it didn't trigger me, but it's something easily fixable.
>>
>>343006207

I prefer 2D Metroids, but Metroid Prime is still very much worth playing. Its graphics aged better than most games of its time. Only real issues were issues when the game was current. That being Samus can't run and slow turning.
>>
OP here. One last thing. How well does it play on dolphin 5?
>>
>>343008669
Agreed. There are tons of not-Metroid(vania)s that are far better than Prime. Prime contains barely any actual exploration, solid action or puzzles, but makes you backtrack everywhere manually anyway. Atmosphere wise, I played it at the same time as Beyond Good & Evil, and that completely destroys it in that department.
>>
One of the biggest Cinderella Stories in videogame history. Reading about the development hell it went through is fascinating. One of the more memorable notes was the boss of Retro posting up pictures of him in a jacuzzi full of women while everyone else in the company was slaving away in the office.
>>
>>343014959
Link to story?
>>
>>343006207
Are there any other 3D FPA metroidvanias? Why hasn't anyone tried to rip off Metroid prime?
>>
It's worth playing OP, graphics looks a little shit when to compare to the complexity of new games. Still looks nice and it's fun.
>>
>>343015742

yeah. Its called Half Life. And it came out before Metroid Prime. It also has more platforming/jumping than Prime does.
>>
>>343014128
this thread wasnt
>>
>>343014572
pretty good
>>
>>343006207
I have 60 gold coins
Im not sure if i should get the 30% off prome trilogy coupon or metroid fusion
I only have enough for one and they expire soon help me out /v/
>>
>>343016317
>corridor shooter
>metroidvania
>>
>>343017201

Exactly why Metroid Prime isn't a Metrovania. Its a First Person Adventure game. Just like Half Life.
>>
>>343017151
the choice is obvious. 3 great games or 1 good game
>>
You'd better emulate it or play it on a CRT or else it will look like battered shit.
>>
>>343017296
downvoted
>>
>>343017201
pls dont take the bait
>>
>>343017309

More like

>one great game with two mediocre sequels as well
>one great game
>>
>>343017395

>I got told
>better make a reddit joke and deflect
>>
>>343017448
no its not like that
>>
how in the fuck did the metroid prime series end up having a goat tier ost? shit
>>
>>343017448
And that first option you have to pay for
While the Ladder is free
>>
File: FUCKYOU.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
FUCKYOU.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>343007010
No
>>
>>343006207
>it was good for its time
Has there even been any games since Metroid Prime 3 that play like Metroid Prime? Have there ever been any? The series still feels like a bizarrely unique combinations of mechanics, setting, and atmosphere.
>>
>>343017448
More like

>two great games and one good game
>one ok game
>>
>>343018050

There have been plenty of first person adventure games. Even some with a similar setting. But what makes Metroid Prime play different is Samus' power suit.

Some games like Batman Arkham Asylum fixed the backtracking and flow problems of Metroid Prime. As well as being true third person. But again, it didn't use Samus' Power Suit.
>>
File: nrY52[1].jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nrY52[1].jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
I know we're all supposed to fucking hate remasters but I'd suck a dick for Metroid Prime Trilogy HD on the Wii U or NX.
>>
>>343017151

Be wary of commenters like these guys, friend

>>343017309
>>343017448
>>343018136

If you like 2D, Prime series is hit or miss. Fusion has the best bosses of the 2D games and the best "cinematic" sequences because of how great the antagonists are. However, its linear and you'd have to do some heavy playing to get a high percentage collection rate on your first go.
>>
>>343006792
We don't need it on three consoles in a row. Just get Trilogy.
>>
>>343017808
as a kid I was stuck here for months
>>
>>343019047
S-s-so Fusion then?
>>
>>343019043
Trilogy already exists. Doing it again would be creatively bankrupt.
>>
>>343019272
no. 3 games or 1 game. how is this difficult
>>
>>343019272
Go with your heart, my friend

jk, I regret purchasing the Trilogy and would rather have gotten Fusion
>>
>>343019047
It's no more linear than Zero Mission.
>>
>>343006207
Just as relevant as it was back then. Play it, OP.
>>
>>343019392

HD Remasters aren't about being creative. And Metroid Prime is one of the most beautiful and intricate environments in all of gaming. I'll take a remaster every generation just to see it look better and better.
>>
>>343019392
>implying current Nintendo is already creatively bankrupt
Its hard to admit, I know
>>
File: fuck.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
fuck.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>343011283
>switch to negro world
lmao dammit i didnt see that coming at all reading this
echoes really is the Majora of the prime series. But damn man the intensity and suit designs are cool and original. Retro's suits in general from prime 2 onward (not the fucking hazard shield) were amazing
>>
>>343019392
Trilogy isn't an HD remaster
>>
>>343019392
>Trilogy already exists
not in hd
>>
>>343019509
I think it just feels more linear than ZM because we have computer commander telling us what to do
>>
>>343019689
and locking areas off
>>
>>343019779
oh yeah, I always forget that Ridley is doable right away in ZM. Not that you'd want to do that or anything...
>>
There's a lot of back-tracking and the controls are a little janky, but to be honest I've never really felt anything compare to it's atmosphere. The soundtrack, the level design, the enemies... everything makes you feel alone on an alien world... but in cosy way
I cant explain it well enough
One of my favourite games, well worth playing
>>
>>343019689
>>343019779

It was more linear.

Zero Mission unlocks new areas based on what items or bosses you encounter. Most Metroid games do the same thing (especially Prime). Zero Mission just made it more obvious with the Chozo statues. But Fusion went an extra step beyond that.
>>
File: 1466397725353.jpg (11 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1466397725353.jpg
11 KB, 100x100
>>343013048
damn seeing the Arm Cannon look so static even though I played the GC versions first is jarring

Prime Trilogy has spoiled me in that regard. Feels more realistic to see the cannon move and aim all the time.
>>
>>343019919
what
>>
>>343019961
>ZM perfects the balance of linearity and non-linearity in Metroid
>last 2D entry ever
This is why I hate Sack-a-shit-moto
>>
>>343009893
It's not wagglin dumbass, it's literally just point and click like you were using a mouse.
>>
>>343020205
>point and click
have people done kb+m setups for prime trilogy?
curious as to how it feels.
>>
>>343020150
you can speedrun your way into Ridley's Lair in ZM before killing Kraid

>>343020205
pointing at the screen is still bullshit. Give me a fucking control of my character without your stupid fucking child-catering gimmicks
>>
>>343020351
Yeah, with dolphin.

Basically exactly the same as the wii version once you get used to the pointing.

>>343020363
You're retarded. You have exponentially more control of your character with the wiimote for shooting than you do with a GC controller.
>>
>>343020363
>pointing at the screen in a game where you point and shoot at enemies is bad
it's not a fucking gimmick in that regard you turbo faglord
>>
>>343020363
Mate, it's like using a mouse, except the mouse happens to be a wiimote.
>>
>>343020527
I didn't like the GC controls either you fuck stain. You even quoted me on that you still fucking missed it

>>343020583
>vibrated sound-enabled remote for aiming at the screen is physically linked to the movement control peripheral
>other console FPA/S games do not even attempt to do this

go fuck a brick

>>343020716
yes, because I pick up my mouse from its flat surface and aim at the monster on screen. what a fucking joke
>>
File: 1466882205193.jpg (84 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
1466882205193.jpg
84 KB, 1136x640
>>343019393
>>343019482
I'm so fucking confused
>>
>>343020868
kill yourself
>>
>>343020868
You have to be either brain damaged or the result of excessive inbreeding. Please go make out with a shotgun before you pollute the gene pool.
>>
>>343021007
get the trilogy and emulate fusion
>>
>>343020868
Do you think you use the damn thing like a light gun?
>>
>>343021035
you first

>>343021040
I'm neither, I'm just tired of people shilling an overrated game that was the beginning of the end for my favorite franchise and genre. And its not that Prime is bad, people are just refusing to acknowledge its flaws. Also, fuck Nintendo apologists, motion controls were the nail in the coffin
>>
>>343021136
Oh
Uh ....... yeah okay
>>
>>343021353
yawn
>>
>>343021136
>>343021383

Other anon here, just do this if you're oh so conflicted. You may end up liking the trilogy, who knows. I first emulated Fusion on my PSP and it was great
>>
>>343010082
its becuase in Prime your just the old bounty hunter, and in Echoes you are THE CHAMPION OF AETHER WHO WILL BANISH THE DARK and OH MY GOD ITS R A I N I N G UPWARDS
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 992x744
>>343021353
>people like something I don't like
>must be shills
>>
>>343021737
haha
>>
>>343006207
i played it for the first time last winter, thought it was good
>>
File: 1465773049147.jpg (27 KB, 506x501) Image search: [Google]
1465773049147.jpg
27 KB, 506x501
>tfw seeing the opening credits for the first time, realizing immediately that you're about to play something really fucking special
>>
>>343009561
Super Metroid can be incredibly fast-paced if you're skilled enough. It's a popular speedrunning game for a reason.
>>
>>343022407
Prime has the best main menu I've every fucking seen

And after playing it again I can't believe what Retro accomplished on that hardware.
>>
>>343022728
>trilogy ruined this
Such a shame.
>>
>>343014128
In my view you're fine. Your talking about vidya with a more personal angle, big whoop. Better than most posts here. I enjoyed reading the post in any case
>>
File: 48415468_p0.jpg (90 KB, 600x784) Image search: [Google]
48415468_p0.jpg
90 KB, 600x784
>>343019995
Shame they had to get rid of all those sick-ass canon effects though.

>>343013561
ok for real fuck me this music is good. Prime really was something special.
>>
File: 1439863943040.jpg (30 KB, 480x853) Image search: [Google]
1439863943040.jpg
30 KB, 480x853
>tfw playing metroid prime in VR with dolphin 5.0
>>
>>343016959
does it still have that insane texture caching slowdown?

Speaking of textures GOD DAMN. Multiple visors, all that scan shit, fuck. I doubt the team got any sleep.
>>
Prime 1 Varia Suit > Prime 2&3 Varia Suit

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>343023847
nigga eat a dick. prime 2&3 varia are GOAT. and if you can find a prime 1 style model that has polygons and good textures for its detail good luck

>>343023517
i really want to accept the other m suit but its connected to a mediocre game.
>>
>>343006207
Bought it a couple years ago for four bucks at Gamestop (!) and it's fucking great. Still need to finish it.
>>
>>343021804
Have you even been reading this thread? Its literally a masturbation thread for Prime fags. Shilling at its finest
>>
>>343023847
The prime 1 helmet looks weird. I agree that the body looks better than in 2/3 but I just can't get behind that helmet.
>>
>>343024657
>shilling a 15 year old game from a dead game series on a dead console.
You don't know what that word means.
>>
>>343024826
its merely a euphemism, stop being a fucking autist
>>
>>343024370
the other m suit was too round and sleek imo
>>
>>343025189
The shoulder pads look like gum drops too.
>>
>>343006207
It holds up pretty fine and it's still an amazing game
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Z2SBJUa88
>>
File: latest[2].png (3 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
3 KB, 240x160
>tfw all I want is the ability to play GCN and Wii games on the Gamepad so I can snuggle in bed and get comfy playing Metroid Prime under the covers.
>>
It still holds up beautifully and it's my favorite game of all time
>>
>>343006383

>perfect

Nah. Super was interesting in how you navigated space. It was a good 2D platformer in its own right with all the nuanced controls and mechanics like wall kicking, infinite bomb jumps etc, on top of having good exploration and boss fights.

Prime is neither an interesting platformer or an interesting FPS, but it does the other Metroid stuff well.
>>
File: metroid prime 3d.webm (3 MB, 1912x716) Image search: [Google]
metroid prime 3d.webm
3 MB, 1912x716
>>
>>343008669
>forced story segments

Can someone define this, please? How can a story be "forced" in something that has a story? Especially in a game that's 100% visual without a single spoken word?
>>
>>343006207
Define "good for it's time".
>>
>>343006383
>>343031973
I have to agree. The way you move in Prime isn't interesting at all. I wouldn't call it fun either. But, the world which you move through definitely is and it's fun to explore it. I guess it's a Metroid game minus the action and focusing on that special thing that set the game apart from others to begin with.
Prime is probably my favourite game of all time, but I have to admit Super is a better game in general.
>>
>>343029615
Just use nintendont. It allows you to play GameCube games with the classic controller
>>
File: 1408456158331.png (106 KB, 459x476) Image search: [Google]
1408456158331.png
106 KB, 459x476
>You can play Metroid Prime in whatever resolution with stereoscopic 3D in Dolphin 5.0
>>
>>343024996
>stop calling me out, you you AUTIST!!

Why should we always focus on the personal opinion problems of a game and ignore the objective facts about it? Why do you people always need to yell "Stop enjoying things and remember the things I think are bad about it!"?
>>
>>343033095
I do think it's important to remember some bad things about video games. Even the ones you love dearly. Without it, the threads would just turn to r/games's OoT threads or something.
>>
>>343032754
I think he's talking about the cutscenes. The ones at the very start of the game are a bit annoying, but I think the PAL version lets you skip most of them. I don't think it's any worse than the intro to Super, however, which has a painfully slow, unskippable monologue.
>>
>>343033226
We still don't need to constantly focus on only the negatives, especially when it's 100% personal opinion.

>>343033332
The really short except for the very first cutscenes? They seriously made some people upset for simply existing at all? Jesus.
>>
File: Landing Site.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Landing Site.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
It feels like only a few years ago since the first time, but it's been 14 years.

https://youtu.be/vOgY3nTqUEU

Take me back, man. Just take me back.
>>
remember when metroid prime 3 was the first nintendo power game to get a perfect 10, and said anyone playing metroid looking for a multiplayer shooting game was judging it from the wrong perspective?
>>
>>343033518
No, you're right. I was just trying to make an argument for the opposite side.
As for the cutscenes, I don't find them intrusive enough to really care. Like I said, Super had an unskippable intro with lots of words, while Prime just shows you the main antagonist and gets on with it. All the story is found in the scan data.
The Frigate Orpheon in Prime is a very nice homage to the Space Colony in Super though. I really like that they're basically the same, including the Ridley encounter and escape at the end.
>>
File: 1451360688217.jpg (92 KB, 340x466) Image search: [Google]
1451360688217.jpg
92 KB, 340x466
>>343033785
>Weakest game in the trilogy
>Perfect 10
>>
>>343033865
That's one of the things I love most about the Prime games, all of the homages and callbacks.

>head down to MAgmoor Cavers for the first time
>the "Enter Area" cutscene plays
>this fucking music starts up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Pg5QwLR-8

I squealed and bounced in my chair when I recognized that, still one of the best Super Metroid remixes.
>>
File: sc_HGCSM_001e.png (486 KB, 840x1303) Image search: [Google]
sc_HGCSM_001e.png
486 KB, 840x1303
>>343033957
>3
>the weakest
2 exists
and your image reminded me of this
>>
>>343034194
I can't believe they were banking on nostalgia for a game that was released 2 generations ago and had been dormant since. I wasn't even alive when Metroid 1 came out.
>>
>>343034194
It's weird. I always think of Magmoor Caverns as a Prime song, not a Super remix. It's just ingrained in my head as an original tune. The Super one sounds a lot more menacing, but I can't tell why. Maybe it's the dissonance in the intro chords? Don't really know.
>>
>>343034312
I honestly find Echoes to be the most fun game in the trilogy.
>>
>>343034312
>2 exists
And it was good. What's your point? I'd argue 2 was a rival of Prime in its quality. It seemed to up the ante when it came to both action and atmosphere, with the amazing bosses and hostility of Dark Aether.
Unfortunately, this also goes for the end-game fetch quest, which you can't really check off as you go through the game, like in the first one.
>>
>>343034373
>The Super one sounds a lot more menacing

You're not alone.

And I don't say this to knock on Prime; Prime's remix is perfect for the tone it's trying to convey, as is Super's original.

I just think it's impressive how a relatively simple remix can completely change the tone of a piece of music.
>>
>>343034373
Part of it is the 16-bit sound. It's also more higher-pitched overall and that gives it a greater sense of urgency and uneasiness as it builds to cresendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUN6aJlTD0w

Another really awesome Super remix is in Echoes: Lower Torvus Bog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU

When I first heard it and recognized it, I just stopped playing and listened to it for about ten minutes. So many memories of Super came back, with me and my friends, and the remix itself is beautiful.
>>
>>343034732
Glad I'm not the only one. Lower Norfair was intended as the final area before Turian, so naturally it's intimidating. Meanwhile Magmoor Caverns is the third area in the game and you only have missiles, morph ball, bombs and the Varia Suit as you enter. They probably thought it'd be better as a ''Hey, remember this song?'' moment rather than a ''Oh, shit. This looks dangerous'' one.
>>
>>343034810
>When I first heard it and recognized it, I just stopped playing and listened to it for about ten minutes
Me too. The Lower Brinstar music from Super was my favourite vidya tune at some point and when that shit hit me in Prime 2, I was amazed. Weird place to reference it, but it worked due to all the water matching the slow pace of the song.
>>
>>343034402
And some people think MM is the best 3D Zelda.
It doesn't bother me. I think Echoes gets a bad rap and is better than people say, but it's still the weakest of the trilogy for me. And to make clear what I meant about MM, Echoes is the MM of the Metroid games. It's shorter, darker, and more tedious than the game it's a sequel to but I still enjoy it.

Ammo was fine, I might have even liked it. What Metroid really needs is Mass Effect 1 heat build up to balance out stronger weapons, and not be limited to simply having ammo or lowering ROF.
>>
MP 1 was good
MP 2 felt like a fan mod
>>
>>343034532
>And it was good. What's your point?
That I like 3 more.
>>
>>343034958
To be fair, Magmoor is a dangerous place with a lot of areas to be careful in, especially the large area with the Pirate-built thermal power station and its cannons and later Flying Pirates.
>>
>>343006207

It's the Citizen's Cane of gaming
>>
>>343035141
>What Metroid really needs is Mass Effect 1 heat build up to balance out stronger weapons
Hell no. The weapons aren't meant to be balanced. You get tougher bosses as you grow stronger, but the rest of the game stays the same, because it's supposed to feel empowering backtracking through previous areas, just wrecking the shit out of everything that used to be scary.
>>
>>343006207
Well, I started playing Metroid Prime 2 for the first time today, and it's fucking great, so I'd say the series holds up
>>
>Managed to find old DS with Prime Hunters
>Halfway or so through game and have no clue where I need to go
Holy fuck I am lost so much. All I can find are the Hunters popping around and Boss portals that just lead to the same hallway then spiral room.

And damn if the controls don't feel clunky and weird at first.
>>
What's your Prime any% time? I got a 1:43 that I'm decently proud of.
>>
File: metroid kawaiime.jpg (899 KB, 1440x868) Image search: [Google]
metroid kawaiime.jpg
899 KB, 1440x868
>playing trilogy
>playing hypermode (gcn's hard mode) for first time
>kid me never questioned the hint mode, turn it off now
>like falling in love all over again
It's not exactly like the first time, but it never could be. This is great.
>>
>>343006792
The Prime trilogy is already available on the Wii U eshop, there's literally no reason to rehash them again. I want Nintendo to make a new fucking mainline Metroid game, preferably 2D, but at this point I'd take a new (emphasis on "new") Prime too (no, FedForce doesn't count).
>>
File: Rundas.png (918 KB, 1273x1374) Image search: [Google]
Rundas.png
918 KB, 1273x1374
Know what I always found funny?

The boss themes in Metroid are always metal, rock, techno-ish, bombastic pieces. Hard and fast-paced or unsettling and creepy, but always giving that feeling of "Gotta kill this guy. gotta stay alive, rock out!". And then, in Corruption, there's the only exception to this. Rundas' boss theme. A theme that purposefully tries to make you sad about having to kill him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjZTxGUzMI

I won't lie, I teared up a bit the first time fighting him and listening to the music. And it hurt worse because Rundas is a cool guy.
>>
>>343035691
I like how you can turn off the hint system before actually starting a new file. Makes replaying it so much better.
>>
Best tracks of Prime?
I vote Torvus Bog or the Hydrodynamo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rHCt_QCvA
>>
File: 823478.jpg (29 KB, 375x364) Image search: [Google]
823478.jpg
29 KB, 375x364
>>343035825
>Justice will prevail and all that stuff. Right, Samus?
It shouldn't even be sad because he's barely a character. But, it was.
>>
File: 1423896261457.gif (2 MB, 274x231) Image search: [Google]
1423896261457.gif
2 MB, 274x231
>>343035907
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnFiGcsi0k
>>
>>343035825
Man that is really neat. Never noticed his theme or the differences between them. It has some of the almost iconic Prime sounds in it.
>>
https://youtu.be/J9IbS0PiLXc

>Attempting ambient soundtracks on the GameBoy
Gotta give him credit for trying, even if the result was a bit off.
>>
>>343035334
Sorry, my mind was on Prime. I just mean when you can switch between beams, I think a heat system would help keep them all useful. The Prime games already gate you into certain weapons for certain enemies, so you might as well balance out the beams a bit so the first two you have aren't completely useless by the end. They're already balanced by ROF and/or ammo, so I'm just suggesting another mechanic that I think is better than ammo and can be used with ROF to give the designers more freedom in how they differentiate beam weapons. I don't think the last beam you get shouldn't be the strongest, I just want the other weapons to keep up.
>>
File: 1364109121243.png (67 KB, 166x180) Image search: [Google]
1364109121243.png
67 KB, 166x180
>>343035825
>Rundas is a cool guy.
CARLOS
>>
Still one of my favourite games ever.
>>
>>343036089
Jaa, Günther! Let'z party like it'z twozouzand and zwei, ja!
>>
File: 1399587078530.jpg (17 KB, 381x235) Image search: [Google]
1399587078530.jpg
17 KB, 381x235
>>343035825
>"After all, we're the good guys, right?"

Ghor wasn't much of a character, but he was easily the most interesting of the bunch. God dammit why did I have to kill him.
>>
>>343035907
Too many to list, but among the best is motherfucking Sanctuary Fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdoyZLrhAH0
>>
Do you think we'll ever get another console 2D Metroid?
I loved Prime, but I so badly want to see a '2.5D' Metroid. I want to see a Metroid world realised in 3D like that.
>>
>>343035907
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LudFV61zsaw
B E S T
>>
>>343036252
I don't know. I think it worked fine. They could have buffed the Wave Beam, but the other two have secondary effects that make them useful. The Ice Beam can freeze enemies and the Plasma Beam set them of fire. The Power Beam really doesn't need anything else as it's the standard weapon. I think it's fine for it to become more or less obsolete towards the end of the game. The increased fire rate definitely makes it useful for rapid missile fire though, but that's likely not an intended mechanic.
>>
>>343006207
Of course it's still good. It's not even that old.
>>
>>343036560
There was something about Frigate Orpheon in the beginning that freaked the fuck out of me when I first played. Ended up not being able to get past the first room since I was afraid some crazy alien shit was going to happen.

The atmosphere just in that first room is top notch.
>>
>>343036460
I've kind of grown tired of 2.5D. I'd rather see a sprite based Metroid game, but I know how much effort and money it takes to produce high quality sprites. A hand drawn style could work. I know that's what they were aiming for with Zero Mission before switching to a more traditional style.
Games like Ori and the Blind Forest and Knytt Underground comes to mind.
>>
File: 140247890.jpg (122 KB, 984x788) Image search: [Google]
140247890.jpg
122 KB, 984x788
>>343036689
>The logs about phazon experiments
>The Pirate corpses lying around
>The description of what killed them
>The fucking rattling cages
>The foreshadowing of the Parasite Queen
It was a goddamn brilliant opening sequence. The tone shifted dramatically afterwards, almost as if they had designed that part way before settling on the rest of the game, which might just be true considering the ridiculous amount of detail in the environment. Seriously. Play through the first 20 minutes again and take a good look around every room. It's fucking packed with small details.
>>
I love a lot of the boss themes in the trilogy.

Sheegoth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiGofycq5iw

Omega Pirate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1987oDc2Y

Metroid Prime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pug7eKPcRb4

Chykka Larva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXPHyB5014

Chykka Imago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RralZd2HvhY

Quadraxis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lesncaOmAiQ

Mogenar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-sSyvl0xGI
>>
File: 1466022887351.png (118 KB, 322x340) Image search: [Google]
1466022887351.png
118 KB, 322x340
>>343036560
Oh, boy. This feeling again. Every goddamn Metroid thread.
>>
If I'm gonna play it on dolphin, do I get the GC or WII version? I'll be using a xbox controller
>>
>>343036972
>Play through the first 20 minutes again
Already feel like playing it again, especially since I played Zero Mission just a bit ago.

Mecha Ridley is a shitton different than he is in the Primes. Much more robotic and heavy.
>>
File: 3171413.jpg (28 KB, 450x375) Image search: [Google]
3171413.jpg
28 KB, 450x375
The artwork in the Prime trilogy was so fucking interesting. Most of it carried over pretty damn well to the games, but I always wondered what some of the unused concept art would look like in-game.
All the mechanical spiritual stuff makes me want a whole game with this aesthetic. It looks so amazing. Retro could have made one hell of a cyberpunk game if they had the opportunity.
>>
>>343037003
Prime 1's music makes me so anxious. Even the first one you linked, which is a really minor and not intimidating boss gets me completely on edge. Prime 1 was such a fucking gem.
>>
>>343006207
Can't speak for the original prime trilogy because it's been so long, but Hunters aged horribly.

Also I'm pretty sure I have permanent nerve damage in my hands from playing the online when I was younger.
>>
>>343037202
That's because he's Mecha Ridley, not Meta Ridley. Big difference. Mecha Ridley is a robot version built up from scratch, while Meta Ridley is the MOTHER FUCKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.