[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do they become relevant in the video game industry again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: Japan-flag.gif (79 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Japan-flag.gif
79 KB, 1920x1080
How do they become relevant in the video game industry again?
>>
They dont.
>>
When the west collapses
>>
They still make the best video games.
>>
>>343000059
They still are?
>>
they dominate it.
>>
>>343000238
90% of console games are Japanese
>>
>>343000059
when people stop caring about non-games for their phones
so probably never
>>
File: what went wrong.jpg (2 MB, 2914x1938) Image search: [Google]
what went wrong.jpg
2 MB, 2914x1938
>>
Make western games better than the west dose but they will never be as creatively bankrupt as to reduce themselves to such an endeavor.

The western gaming industry is so fucking destructive and boring.
>>
They already are, they make actual games and not cinematic shit and they aren't bending over to sjws and "diversity"
>>
>>343000368
>left: uninspiring graphics, same style for every game, no diversity, literally cant even tell these are different games
>right: unique style that matches each games personality
>>
File: Aeris_Dance.gif (202 KB, 357x268) Image search: [Google]
Aeris_Dance.gif
202 KB, 357x268
>>343000059

They have remained about the same relevancy they've always had. Its just that the western market finally surpassed them after a 20 year slump. And that's counting 30+ countries in the west compared to just Japan.
>>
>>343000368
Why is bluefaced girl so damn cute?
>>
>>343000368

Stuff on the right looks a lot more interesting. The west needs to expand its diversity besides the same four genres and trying to be realistic in everything.
>>
File: truth.jpg (355 KB, 662x1084) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
355 KB, 662x1084
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 882x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 882x480
What are you talkin' about Doc? All the best games are made in Japan
>>
>>343000368
Has Japan EVER made a photorealistic game?
I can't think of one.
>>
>>343000972

Well, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy literally used pre rendered photos. Does that count?
>>
Western games are still unimaginative messes that love to play safe, in storyline, characters and settings
>>
>>343000972
mgs
>>
>>343001041
Okay, Resident Evil, I wouldn't say Final Fantasy is photorealistic at all. They might use photos, but every thing looks fake as fuck.
>>
File: 10 reasons japanese games suck.png (47 KB, 1107x1162) Image search: [Google]
10 reasons japanese games suck.png
47 KB, 1107x1162
>>
>>343000327
Lol
You mean 90% of console games YOU play are Japanese
>>
>>343001041
>>343001098
>RE and MGS
>The two Japanese games that are made for Western audiences, staring western characters in western settings.

I find this interesting.
>>
>>343001123

RE didn't look realistic either. No game does. Even the stuff the western market is putting out today, there's plenty of ways you can tell its not real.

This is why the west should stop trying to focus on realism.
>>
>>343001519
Do you not understand what "photorealism" means?
>>
File: 198280462_3ad4f25bcf.jpg (116 KB, 494x500) Image search: [Google]
198280462_3ad4f25bcf.jpg
116 KB, 494x500
>>343000637

>And that's counting 30+ countries in the west compared to just Japan.
Damn man, that's harsh. Wish I could say its wrong though.
>>
>>343000059
Why? Odin Sphere remaster is good, if Jap wants to crush west dev then they just need competent translation patches for all of their games including Eushully and Alicesoft
>>
>>343002108

This. The only thing keeping Japan back is their own companies bad localization practices. Companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Capcom and (theartistformallyknownas) Konami hadn't fucked themselves over for 30 years, Japan would still be destroying the video game market. Same for anime.
>>
>>343002436
It's not just their localizations. The truth is many westerners just don't like the type of gameplay most Japanese games have.
>>
>>343001308
That's quite a cancerous list of falsehoods.
>>
>>343002715

I don't see why since there's a Japanese equivilant for nearly every western type of game. There's even Japanese made FPS when Japan hates FPS.

What it really comes down to is a lack of knowledge that the games from Japan can be more than just Final Fantasy and Dark Souls. And that's the fault of Japanese companies not marketing their games enough. As they don't have to do much marketing to sell a game in Japan, they think they can do the same in the west. And it doesn't work.
>>
>>343004248
I'd gamble that for most japanese games, we're a sort of secondary audience, so they don't really focus on trying to sell here, outside of bigger name studios.

I could be wrong though but that's just what it feels like.
>>
>>343004872

No, that's what it is. But its dumb since most gamesthat come here sell just as much or more than they do in Japan. And still those companies complain. They think that every game released in the west should sell 5-10x what it does in Japan, with no established market or hype. So we get scenarios were games like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Quest selling over a million copies is considered a 'failure'.
>>
>>343004872
Pretty much. Only major mainstream releases from Japan take the global user base into account and even then only when it's known to have a very large user base overseas i.e Pokemon.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.